Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I don't care if beans are chili sacrilege, it's good.

Much like pineapple pizza is very good, despite what naysayers might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

Woah woah woah let's not say things we can't take back.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Rotten Cookies posted:

Only with ham and the right bbq sauce.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

adorai posted:

Only with ham and the right bbq sauce.

Pineapple alone on a pizza is enough for me. If I had to add anything else, it would be bacon, for it's crispiness and saltiness, to juxtapose the dulcet squish of the lightly cooked pineapple on the slice.

However, I accept your Hawaii-esque variant on the pizza and will not ridicule you for choosing it instead of some minimalist fetishist recipe.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fo3 posted:

The beauty of where I live is I don't have to converse with those people.
Beans and tomato is pretty Mexican (which is why we say "con carne" here, to point out it's the Mexican version with beans and tomatoes). Chili with cubed/diced meat is very much tex-mex so I'd give Texas the shout out and do it their way and just say chili, and drop the Mexican connotation.

thank you at least someone is sane

(though I don't know about the whole beans and tomatoes being mexican bit tbqh...)

BraveUlysses posted:

i'm unable to discern trolling from real posts in this thread any more but literally "con carne" means with meat so i'm at a loss right here.

:siren: someone who has never left the united states of america spotted

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 13, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Those are all types of pizza, just like Texas style, Cincinnati style, etc. are all styles of chili. I'm asking more if anybody yells at other people for 'mistakenly' calling Chicago style pizza 'pizza' in that thread.

Putting cheddar cheese and pepperoni on macaroni elbows would be 'cincinatti pizza' and it would also make me very angry.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Bob Morales posted:

Putting cheddar cheese and pepperoni on macaroni elbows would be 'cincinatti pizza' and it would also make me very angry.

What if you put cheddar cheese and an 'American goulash' style topping (that is, ground beef, paprika, tomato based sauce with typically macaroni elbows) on top of pizza? That could be really good, if a bit sacrilegious.

e: or really gross

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I have enough spare ribs for two different meals. Anyone here have a preference for bone vs cartilage end in chili/stew/whatever, or should I use a mix of both? The other thing I'm planning on making works just fine with either end, so I can cut it up however I feel like

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

gwrtheyrn posted:

I have enough spare ribs for two different meals. Anyone here have a preference for bone vs cartilage end in chili/stew/whatever, or should I use a mix of both? The other thing I'm planning on making works just fine with either end, so I can cut it up however I feel like

When I used short ribs a while ago the cartilage didn't break down at all after ~10 hours of cooking. Bones would sweat wonderfully and make for a very rich and tasty liquid to bubble your meat in.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

When I used short ribs a while ago the cartilage didn't break down at all after ~10 hours of cooking. Bones would sweat wonderfully and make for a very rich and tasty liquid to bubble your meat in.

Weird, last time I cooked short ribs the cartilage was easily soft enough to eat after only 4 hours. The other thing I'm making isn't really a stew though, so I guess I'll reserve the tips for that. Thanks

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Rotten Cookies posted:

Pineapple alone on a pizza is enough for me. If I had to add anything else, it would be bacon, for it's crispiness and saltiness, to juxtapose the dulcet squish of the lightly cooked pineapple on the slice.

However, I accept your Hawaii-esque variant on the pizza and will not ridicule you for choosing it instead of some minimalist fetishist recipe.

you have alright opinons for someone who doubles as a Ranger/Islander fan :colbert:

I saw 70+ new posts in this thread and I thought there'd be a whole lot of chili pics. Instead it was skyline squirts and a bunch of spergy posts, damnit.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

THE MACHO MAN posted:

skyline squirts and a bunch of spergy posts, damnit.

That's why I come to GWS, how about you?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BraveUlysses posted:

I've used my vitamix to annihilate dried peppers into powder, but I still had to smash some of the larger bits in a mortar & pestle.

that said, i recommend the paste over powder but sometimes powder is nice to have available.

The recipe I use calls for the chili powder to be mixed with flour and cumin, then sprinkled over the beef right after it finishes browning. Basically it's to coat the beef. Powder theoretically works better for this than a paste would.

Plus powder is just easier. Stop making chili so drat complicated, people!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Powder may work better in that situation, but that's irrelevant, as "coating the beef" is a really pointless thing to do.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Take a big-rear end needle, fill with chili paste, fill meat with chili paste.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Shukaro posted:

Take a big-rear end needle, fill with chili paste, fill meat with chili paste.

:circlefap:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Has anyone made 'colorado green chili' with pork and a ton of anaheims? Saw it on America's Test Kitchen and it looked pretty good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've done it, turned out pretty drat good

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Bob Morales posted:

Has anyone made 'colorado green chili' with pork and a ton of anaheims? Saw it on America's Test Kitchen and it looked pretty good.

I've done it with chicken before and it was very nice. Tomatillos and Anaheims make a great chili base.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've always (all of twice) made chili with ground beef. Thinking about using stew meat. What cuts am I looking for?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've always (all of twice) made chili with ground beef. Thinking about using stew meat. What cuts am I looking for?

The cheapest ones available. My Shoprite sells what they call "stew meat" which is basically cubed chuck steak. It works well.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

I made chili last night and forgot the most important ingredient of all - the chipotle in adobo. Dinner was ruined.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

The cheapest ones available. My Shoprite sells what they call "stew meat" which is basically cubed chuck steak. It works well.
The problem with this is that you may get cubes from multiple sources, which may not cook uniformly. I personally buy the cheapest beef roast I can find and cube it myself.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Shin/shank is the best stewing beef imo. Needs 5 hours + though generally to be perfect

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

adorai posted:

The problem with this is that you may get cubes from multiple sources, which may not cook uniformly. I personally buy the cheapest beef roast I can find and cube it myself.

That's not a problem. You're cooking for a such a long time that uniform cooking isn't an issue.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I've never attempted "serious" chili and was thinking of starting by giving this a go. The only thing is it calls for a teaspoon of marmite, which I know I'm not going to find at the store down the street. Is there anything that could substitute, could I omit it, or should I go out of my way to get a jar? (I've never had it, so I don't know exactly what taste I should be going for)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

flesh dance posted:

I've never attempted "serious" chili and was thinking of starting by giving this a go. The only thing is it calls for a teaspoon of marmite, which I know I'm not going to find at the store down the street. Is there anything that could substitute, could I omit it, or should I go out of my way to get a jar? (I've never had it, so I don't know exactly what taste I should be going for)

The marmite is used to add an intense punch of rich meatiness. Go ahead and skip it, but add a dash of fish sauce and Worcestershire instead.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

And extra salt

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Sweet, I already have those things on hand. Thanks!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

flesh dance posted:

It's a damned good chili. I don't make that one regularly because there's just a ton of ingredients and I'm lazy, but I've done it a few times just to do it and it's definitely delicious. That, and you can just mix and match some of the techniques (Making the chili paste with the broth, browned bits, and spices, or adding the blast of bourbon/vinegar/frank's at the end of the cook) to fit your own preferences of meat, spices, etc.

Echoing the previous poster to just use extra anchovy paste/fish sauce/soy sauce in place of the Marmite.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 20, 2015

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Stew meat isn't even that good a deal half of the time. It's almost never on sale, and the price isn't usually any better than buying chuck/round/whatever and cutting it up yourself. It works fine, but you can really do better

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
I found that adding a ratio of 1/3 homemade habanero powder 2/3 green chili powder adds a really nice kick that still comes off as smooth. When drying however habeneros tend to finish a lot faster than chilies as they tend to have much thinner skin.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Stew meat isn't even that good a deal half of the time. It's almost never on sale, and the price isn't usually any better than buying chuck/round/whatever and cutting it up yourself. It works fine, but you can really do better

I count myself very fortunate to have a grocery store that is fairly poorly ran. By this I mean not many people frequent it due to bad management, and thus they never move all their meat product in time. I find grass fed beef and good pork 50% off all the time there.

The point I am trying to make is if you are going to experiment with a dish like chili, find a store that can provide reliably cheap ingredients if at all possible.

Thunder Moose fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 21, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

I didn't check their chuck/round prices, but at Costco the stew meat was only like 40 cents more per pound compared to 85/15 ground beef. I'll see how it goes tonight or tomorrow.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So getting back to my homemade chili powder thing...

I have some questions about this recipe.

1. Since all of the peppers I'm using are dried chilis, do I need to de-seed them first?
2. Can I just toast the peppers in the oven, like that one goon suggested doing? Instead of doing what the recipe in that link says to do?
3. If the answer to #2 is yes, then what temperature should I set the oven to? Also, about how long should I leave the chilis in the oven for, so I have a guideline just in case I have trouble telling exactly when they "start to become aromatic" or whatever.

I need to make this stuff this afternoon, or my roommate is gonna yell at me for overcrowding our fridge with thawing/thawed meat, so if I could get some answers on these within the next few hours then I'd be reeeeeeeal happy. :shobon:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 26, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You can toast in the microwave and it takes like 30 seconds. If you're toasting/blooming other spices too though you may as well use the frying pan.

You can leave the seeds in if you want it extra hot, I usually cut the tops off the dried chilies and dump out whatever will come out, but don't worry about it otherwise.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

So getting back to my homemade chili powder thing...

I have some questions about this recipe.

1. Since all of the peppers I'm using are dried chilis, do I need to de-seed them first?
2. Can I just toast the peppers in the oven, like that one goon suggested doing? Instead of doing what the recipe in that link says to do?
3. If the answer to #2 is yes, then what temperature should I set the oven to? Also, about how long should I leave the chilis in the oven for, so I have a guideline just in case I have trouble telling exactly when they "start to become aromatic" or whatever.

I need to make this stuff this afternoon, or my roommate is gonna yell at me for overcrowding our fridge with thawing/thawed meat, so if I could get some answers on these within the next few hours then I'd be reeeeeeeal happy. :shobon:

1. Yeah, you don't want burnt seeds, and the oils are mainly contained in the seeds - just like nuts, they go from warm to burnt almost immediately.

2. Yeah, go for it. I usually toast in a pan, because it's easier to tell when they're where I want them, but the oven works fine too.

3. It can take a varying amount of time. You should be able to smell them - and when you can, leave them to cool.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Deseed if you can, seeds are no good to cook or eat.
The heat is mainly in the placenta and pith holding the seeds. IE, if you deseed by running a knife/spoon along the inner wall of a fresh chilli, you are cutting off the hot placenta/pith.
If you have a dried chilli and tap all the dried seeds out, you aren't loosing much heat or flavour.

E: I prefer to toast under a broiler/grill rather than an oven or pan.
A pan means constant tossing, and easy to over do it and the pan stays hot. An oven means you can't smell or otherwise monitor it's progress. A broiler grill tray stays pretty cool, and just needs a few shakes every so often (grill with the door open).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 27, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Fo3 posted:

E: I prefer to toast under a broiler/grill rather than an oven or pan.
Be super careful with a broiler. I've had a pan of chilis start smoldering :(

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Anyone have a recipe that works really well as Frito Pie? Looking to out do my normal standard Frito pie chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I tried doing some chili powder peppers in the oven. Used all dried chili peppers. Opened them. Removed every (and I mean every) seed. Preheated the oven to 450. Put them in the oven. Left them in about 2 or 3 minutes.

They completely burned up, turned black and smoked up the whole room.

Please tell me what I did wrong. :(

Fo3 posted:

Deseed if you can, seeds are no good to cook or eat.
The heat is mainly in the placenta and pith holding the seeds. IE, if you deseed by running a knife/spoon along the inner wall of a fresh chilli, you are cutting off the hot placenta/pith.
If you have a dried chilli and tap all the dried seeds out, you aren't loosing much heat or flavour.

How the hell am I supposed to remove the seeds without removing that other stuff? I was actually wondering this as I deseeded the batch I just mentioned.