Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

VitalSigns posted:

So essentially we should tell Likud that they just need to delay the peace process for another 20 years, and the unconscionable crime will turn into "land open to good-faith negotiations", and if they can keep peace from happening for another 20 years beyond that then it becomes indisputably theirs and no longer open to negotiation?

Correct, as time passes, and Islamism doesn't become more popular among the governments of powerful countries, the violent resistance against Israel will only further harm any chance the Palestinians have to get what they want.

Guys chanting "Allahu ackbar" and shooting their rifles in the air while women wearing the hijab cheer them on aren't getting more popular as the years go by.

Maybe it isn't fair that 9/11 doomed armed Palestinian resistance for a generation or more, but it is real.

We didn't think on it and say "alright bin Laden, we see your point," instead American soldiers broke down his door and shot him to death with rifles, and people went out and celebrated in the streets.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

VitalSigns posted:

But America does have the power to punish Israel, if it wants. So if America decides to actually do that, then that retroactively makes the settlements illegal?
Also I suppose that when Dow chemical killed all those Indians at Bhopal, it wasn't actually immoral or criminal at all since their executives managed to get on flights out of the country and escape punishment.

What if we lived in a what if world?

Since "illegal under international law" is only a word about what America wants, America wanting something else would change what was legal and illegal, retroactively or any other way, by definition.

There really isn't anything else to international law besides that. Laws are only laws when you are punished for breaking them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

hakimashou posted:

Correct, as time passes, and Islamism doesn't become more popular among the governments of powerful countries, the violent resistance against Israel will only further harm any chance the Palestinians have to get what they want.

Don't you think this creates a perverse incentive against peace if we tell Israel "the longer you're able to delay and derail the peace process and continue settling, the better deal you'll get in the future"?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Has anything actually happened in regards to Israel and Palestine lately or are we just up to our balls in stupid circular arguing with idiots?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

VitalSigns posted:

Don't you think this creates a perverse incentive against peace if we tell Israel "the longer you're able to delay and derail the peace process and continue settling, the better deal you'll get in the future"?

It might very well, but Israelis didn't crash planes into our office buildings, people chanting "allahu ackbar" did, and so, when faced with the choice between supporting our friends and supporting a different group of people doing suicide attacks and chanting "Allahu ackbar," real people are going to be a lot more likely to support their friends,

The point is, violence against Israel is just part of "Islamist violence against America and its allies" now.

And that can't lead anywhere good.

Isn't it time the Palestinians tried something else?

Gandhi and Dr King used nonviolence in their struggles, and they won.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Dolash posted:

Has anything actually happened in regards to Israel and Palestine lately or are we just up to our balls in stupid circular arguing with idiots?

Israel and the PA reached a deal on disputed tax revenue.

The PA didn't fire any rockets into Israel and Israel didn't send the IDF to suppress attacks.

Both sides sat down and worked out an agreement that didn't involve violence or martyrdom.

Amazing!

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

hakimashou posted:

Since "illegal under international law" is only a word about what America wants, America wanting something else would change what was legal and illegal, retroactively or any other way, by definition.

There really isn't anything else to international law besides that. Laws are only laws when you are punished for breaking them.

You have a child's understanding of international law and relations. Congrats.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Dolash posted:

The White house mocked Bibi:

E:
Also, Israel and the PA came to an agreement over taxes.
http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Frozen-tax-fund-agreement-reached-Israel-to-transfer-over-NIS-1-billion-to-PA-398480
https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/news/middle-east/18128-israel-to-release-473mn-in-withheld-pa-tax-revenues

quote:

The Israeli government announced Sunday that it will be releasing this week $1.85 billion shekel (roughly $473 million) in withheld taxes collected on behalf of the Palestinian Authority (PA), according to Israeli radio.

"Israel decided to transfer the PA's tax revenues out of keenness to maintain political stability in the region and other humanitarian consideration," Israeli radio quoted an unnamed security source as saying.

On Saturday, Palestinian Civil Affairs Minister Hassan al-Sheikh told pressmen that Israel will be transferring Palestinian tax on Sunday or Monday at the latest.

A day earlier, Palestinian Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah said that Israel has agreed to disburse withheld Palestinian tax revenues in their entirety.

He added that the Israeli government had agreed to transfer the funds – covering four months, from December 2014 to March 2015 – to his government.

He did not say, however, how his government had reached agreement with Israel or when exactly the funds would be disbursed.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 19, 2015

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Yep, what a fundamentally idiotic post. But it looks like he has a worse understanding of 9/11 than a typical child.

hakimashou posted:

It might very well, but Israelis didn't crash planes into our office buildings, people chanting "allahu ackbar" did, and so, when faced with the choice between supporting our friends and supporting a different group of people doing suicide attacks and chanting "Allahu ackbar," real people are going to be a lot more likely to support their friends,

The point is, violence against Israel is just part of "Islamist violence against America and its allies" now.

And that can't lead anywhere good.

Isn't it time the Palestinians tried something else?

Gandhi and Dr King used nonviolence in their struggles, and they won.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

No, I have a very good understanding of it.

What is international law?

How is it different from the will of America and its allies?

Please be specific, especially where countries which aren't the US and its allies use international law to punish them against their will, taken broadly.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I remember when the Palestinians did 9/11.

I thought it was Saddam for a while, but then we got our war so it didn't need to be him anymore. Now it needs to be Palestinians because I want to support a war against them.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
hakimashou, do you believe that only defeated parties are obligated (in what sense? Morally?) to behave "honorably"? Is it that you think Israelis are incapable of honorable behavior, so that it's useless to expect anything of them, or merely that you believe unambiguously that might makes right?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

VitalSigns posted:

So essentially we should tell Likud that they just need to delay the peace process for another 20 years, and the unconscionable crime will turn into "land open to good-faith negotiations", and if they can keep peace from happening for another 20 years beyond that then it becomes indisputably theirs and no longer open to negotiation?

This is the actual plan irl though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jack of Hearts posted:

hakimashou, do you believe that only defeated parties are obligated (in what sense? Morally?) to behave "honorably"? Is it that you think Israelis are incapable of honorable behavior, so that it's useless to expect anything of them, or merely that you believe unambiguously that might makes right?

Well he doesn't believe unambiguously that might makes right, because he assigns moral blame for Arab countries using their comparatively more powerful militaries versus the Palestinians to keep out refugees.

Although this might not be a contradiction, since he apparently believes all Muslims/Arabs/swarthy folk are a hivemind because a dozen or so Saudis knocking over the world trade center somehow justifies the conquest of people from another country who had nothing to do with it.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

hakimashou posted:

No, I have a very good understanding of it.

What is international law?

How is it different from the will of America and its allies?

Please be specific, especially where countries which aren't the US and its allies use international law to punish them against their will, taken broadly.

I know you're very proud of your country and pride yourself on your superior intellect and think you've got it all figured out, but please, please, educate yourself. Maybe go follow a course in law, or something. Even open wikipedia.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

hakimashou posted:

What if we lived in a what if world?

You are very dumb

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

VitalSigns posted:

You don't have to tell them that; they're already operating under these premises.

VitalSigns posted:

Likewise.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 19, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

That doesn't really address my point though. Either it matters how long ago the land was taken, in which case your statement would be correct, or there was some particular year before which taking land was OK...

Or it doesn't actually matter when the land was taken, in which case, either:
A) the entire nation of Israel (and anyone else who has ever settled conquered territory) is unjust and we can accept nothing less than its dissolution
or
B) the entire nation of Israel is unjust, but we're willing to be morally flexible about that.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Dolash posted:

well the PA and bibi came to an understanding about the tax money aaand...they still haven't decided on who's going to do what in the coalition government. And stupid arguments with people.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dead Reckoning posted:

That doesn't really address my point though. Either it matters how long ago the land was taken, in which case your statement would be correct, or there was some particular year before which taking land was OK...

A) the entire nation of Israel (and anyone else who has ever settled conquered territory) is unjust and we can accept nothing less than its dissolution
or
B) the entire nation of Israel is unjust, but we're willing to be morally flexible about that.

An arbitrary 50-100 year cutoff for land claims really sounds like a perverse incentive to take land and delay delay delay until it becomes the new situation on the ground that everyone has to accept before peace can move forward.

Or do we say "okay any land taken since the 80's is unconscionable and always will be even if you drag out the peace process for another 70 years"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Dead Reckoning posted:

or

What does justice have to do with anything? If everyone is unjust, then no-one is unjust because of how meaningless you've made the term.

Israel is a democratic nation and a workable partner with various institutional mechanisms to exert influence upon. Palestine is a developing nation with high levels of concentrated poverty. Is that just? Poverty exists, always has, always will, nothing to do with a concept of justice about it.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Just so's we're all clear the Europa Universalis solution is a vassal state, because gently caress 20k rebels spawning every deca-

Wait, hang on

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

I don't really care about whatever atrocities are happening in Israel right now, but I am genuinely curious, has America ever faced actual consequences for breaking international law? I can't think of a time it's happened but I don't always pay a lot of attention.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

ChairMaster posted:

I don't really care about whatever atrocities are happening in Israel right now, but I am genuinely curious, has America ever faced actual consequences for breaking international law? I can't think of a time it's happened but I don't always pay a lot of attention.

Lol, no. International Law, like the regular kind, really only matters insofar as someone is willing and able to enforce it. No one has the military wherewithal or economic will to compel us to do anything. Plus, most international law was codified during the period where western if not explicitly American interests and thinking dominated the international political system.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Dead Reckoning posted:

Lol, no. International Law, like the regular kind, really only matters insofar as someone is willing and able to enforce it. No one has the military wherewithal or economic will to compel us to do anything. Plus, most international law was codified during the period where western if not explicitly American interests and thinking dominated the international political system.

Yup. For a law to really be a law it has to be enforced. Laws aren't some abstract or theoretical thing, they obtain their force by being enforced.

I am still waiting to hear about the last time an American was indicted and punished by an international court for breaking an international law. The idea is absurd.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

hakimashou posted:

Yup. For a law to really be a law it has to be enforced. Laws aren't some abstract or theoretical thing, they obtain their force by being enforced.

I am still waiting to hear about the last time an American was indicted and punished by an international court for breaking an international law. The idea is absurd.

International law is the expression of America's will to power; national law is the expression of the will to power of the nation's ruling class. Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Murder isn't really wrong, per se. It's a struggle between equals, and one comes out on top.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

9/11 was not a crime. The perpetrators took care to ensure they'd forever be beyond the reach of American law.

Planning it was a crime though, or at least it became one 9 years later.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Thanks Mormon elder/Kirby salesman. I trust your stern visage.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

In the second case, the answer is December 1988.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 20, 2015

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
So let's see if I got this right. If one country stakes a claim on the territory of another country and successfully defends it from attempts to take it back and "improves" it (whatever that means), it becomes part of the attacking nation and that's simply that?

If, absent law enforcement, I and some hired goons kick someone out of their house, install a new fridge, and fend off the former owner with a baseball bat, does that house then become mine?

If yes, that's the is, I feel most folks itt are concerned about the ought.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

eSports Chaebol posted:

This is the actual plan irl though.

Cat Mattress posted:

You don't have to tell them that; they're already operating under these premises.

Oh no :(
Not really though, right?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's a recording of Bibi literally saying "what we take is what we keep" in an unofficial meeting.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

My Imaginary GF posted:

What does justice have to do with anything? If everyone is unjust, then no-one is unjust because of how meaningless you've made the term.

Israel is a democratic nation and a workable partner with various institutional mechanisms to exert influence upon. Palestine is a developing nation with high levels of concentrated poverty. Is that just? Poverty exists, always has, always will, nothing to do with a concept of justice about it.

You can't take this position and then say that Israel is the ultimate dream of the Jewish people nor can you take this position and consider "never again" a positive moral value. If there is no justice in the world, that's fine, but you have to man up and think about that position. You can not express outrage at my calling for Rahm Emmanuel to be assassinated.

I can man up and do it. Can you?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Baudolino posted:

Yeah why do People have such an impossible brigth view of human nature in this thread? People are going to want some revenge when this is over. Some kind of symbolic blood sacrifice will have to be made to appease palestinians and to show them that not only have they won, they are also safe.
Trail of tearsing the illegal Israeli occupiers is the bare minimum that will have be done to create any kind of lasting Peace. That`s what had to happen to East-European Germans living outside of Germany after 1945.

It's pretty devious to take "Trail of Tears", a phrase referring to a genocidal forced eviction and forced relocation whose fame is and cruelty exceeds even that of the Nakba, and use it to refer to evicting illegal occupiers from land they don't own.

Besides, "we have to keep violently oppressing that ethnic group and keep the stuff we forcibly stole from them, or else they might violently oppress us and forcibly steal back the stuff we stole from them" is a blatantly racist sentiment. You're essentially arguing that Palestinians have to be hosed over because Israeli lives are worth more.

Ultramega posted:

Does hamas still even control gaza or has the PA basically become the only game in town?

Officially, the PA controls Gaza, as Hamas has surrendered their authority and responsibility to govern to the PA. According to the PA, Hamas still actually controls Gaza and it's too dangerous to even set foot there. According to Hamas, the PA is refusing to take responsibility for Gaza and has been deliberately sowing chaos there because they don't want that bombed-out humanitarian disaster to be their problem and they'd prefer to make Hamas take the blame for it. I don't think there's an official Israeli position on it, and any given official will take whichever side benefits them politically at the moment.

In reality? I don't think anyone really centrally governs Gaza right now. Hamas has backed off on the whole "governing" thing since they are no longer able to do so, but the PA refuses to get involved in Gaza, so power has probably effectively fallen into the hands of the local bureaucrats and officials (most of whom have Hamas ties) in the absence of any higher guidance. It's a political hot potato right now, because neither the PA nor Hamas is capable of fixing Gaza's problems, but control of Gaza comes with being responsible for all those starving and freezing and homeless people living in the bombed-out wreckage - and taking some of the blame for not fixing those problems. It's an unfixable albatross nobody wants to take on, and an enormous humanitarian tragedy that can only be fixed by people who have no interest in fixing it.

Obliterati posted:

Just so's we're all clear the Europa Universalis solution is a vassal state, because gently caress 20k rebels spawning every deca-

Wait, hang on

Hakimashou's drivel has nothing to do with Europa Universalis in the first place. In that game, and many other such strategy games - much like in real life - winning a war against another country and gaining some territory does not grant you the right to expel all of that territory's inhabitants; the same people end up owning the land as before the war. The population remains the same and land ownership usually remains the same, it just has a different government in charge. Even if you engage in culture change actions to pacify the population, you're still just changing street names and enforcing compulsory education changes, not evicting the population en masse.

On the other hand, Haki thinks that winning a war means all the people who live in the losing country lose all their possessions including their land rights, while the winning country gains the right to confiscate everything and ethnically cleanse the population out of the captured land. It's absurd bullshit.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

There's a recording of Bibi literally saying "what we take is what we keep" in an unofficial meeting.

That's not a surprise since it's been government policy ever since the settlement industry began in 1967 and is literally the origin of one of the more common phrases in geopolitics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facts_on_the_ground

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
See also: Iron Wall. To quote the intellectual father of the Likud:

quote:

Their voluntary agreement is out of the question. Hence those who hold that an agreement with the natives is an essential condition for Zionism can now say “no” and depart from Zionism. Zionist colonization, even the most restricted, must either be terminated or carried out in defiance of the will of the native population. This colonization can, therefore, continue and develop only under the protection of a force independent of the local population – an iron wall which the native population cannot break through. This is, in toto, our policy towards the Arabs. To formulate it any other way would only be hypocrisy.

Not only must this be so, it is so whether we admit it or not. What does the Balfour Declaration and the Mandate mean for us? It is the fact that a disinterested power committed itself to create such security conditions that the local population would be deterred from interfering with our efforts.

All of us, without exception, are constantly demanding that this power strictly fulfill its obligations. In this sense, there are no meaningful differences between our “militarists” and our “vegetarians.” One prefers an iron wall of Jewish bayonets, the other proposes an iron wall of British bayonets, the third proposes an agreement with Baghdad, and appears to be satisfied with Baghdad’s bayonets – a strange and somewhat risky taste’ but we all applaud, day and night, the iron wall. We would destroy our cause if we proclaimed the necessity of an agreement, and fill the minds of the Mandatory with the belief that we do not need an iron wall, but rather endless talks. Such a proclamation can only harm us. Therefore it is our sacred duty to expose such talk and prove that it is a snare and a delusion.

Two brief remarks: In the first place, if anyone objects that this point of view is immoral, I answer: It is not true; either Zionism is moral and just or it is immoral and unjust. But that is a question that we should have settled before we became Zionists. Actually we have settled that question, and in the affirmative.

We hold that Zionism is moral and just. And since it is moral and just, justice must be done, no matter whether Joseph or Simon or Ivan or Achmet agree with it or not.

There is no other morality.

All this does not mean that any kind of agreement is impossible, only a voluntary agreement is impossible. As long as there is a spark of hope that they can get rid of us, they will not sell these hopes, not for any kind of sweet words or tasty morsels, because they are not a rabble but a nation, perhaps somewhat tattered, but still living. A living people makes such enormous concessions on such fateful questions only when there is no hope left. Only when not a single breach is visible in the iron wall, only then do extreme groups lose their sway, and influence transfers to moderate groups. Only then would these moderate groups come to us with proposals for mutual concessions. And only then will moderates offer suggestions for compromise on practical questions like a guarantee against expulsion, or equality and national autonomy.

I am optimistic that they will indeed be granted satisfactory assurances and that both peoples, like good neighbors, can then live in peace. But the only path to such an agreement is the iron wall, that is to say the strengthening in Palestine of a government without any kind of Arab influence, that is to say one against which the Arabs will fight. In other words, for us the only path to an agreement in the future is an absolute refusal of any attempts at an agreement now.

In other words, create Israel by force, against their will, set up the facts on the ground, and obstinately wait it out until Palestinians just accept it after they abandon all hope. Because hopelessness, after all, always creates moderates!

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Apr 20, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Main Paineframe posted:

It's pretty devious to take "Trail of Tears", a phrase referring to a genocidal forced eviction and forced relocation whose fame is and cruelty exceeds even that of the Nakba, and use it to refer to evicting illegal occupiers from land they don't own.

Besides, "we have to keep violently oppressing that ethnic group and keep the stuff we forcibly stole from them, or else they might violently oppress us and forcibly steal back the stuff we stole from them" is a blatantly racist sentiment. You're essentially arguing that Palestinians have to be hosed over because Israeli lives are worth more.

Officially, the PA controls Gaza, as Hamas has surrendered their authority and responsibility to govern to the PA. According to the PA, Hamas still actually controls Gaza and it's too dangerous to even set foot there. According to Hamas, the PA is refusing to take responsibility for Gaza and has been deliberately sowing chaos there because they don't want that bombed-out humanitarian disaster to be their problem and they'd prefer to make Hamas take the blame for it. I don't think there's an official Israeli position on it, and any given official will take whichever side benefits them politically at the moment.

In reality? I don't think anyone really centrally governs Gaza right now. Hamas has backed off on the whole "governing" thing since they are no longer able to do so, but the PA refuses to get involved in Gaza, so power has probably effectively fallen into the hands of the local bureaucrats and officials (most of whom have Hamas ties) in the absence of any higher guidance. It's a political hot potato right now, because neither the PA nor Hamas is capable of fixing Gaza's problems, but control of Gaza comes with being responsible for all those starving and freezing and homeless people living in the bombed-out wreckage - and taking some of the blame for not fixing those problems. It's an unfixable albatross nobody wants to take on, and an enormous humanitarian tragedy that can only be fixed by people who have no interest in fixing it.

Hakimashou's drivel has nothing to do with Europa Universalis in the first place. In that game, and many other such strategy games - much like in real life - winning a war against another country and gaining some territory does not grant you the right to expel all of that territory's inhabitants; the same people end up owning the land as before the war. The population remains the same and land ownership usually remains the same, it just has a different government in charge. Even if you engage in culture change actions to pacify the population, you're still just changing street names and enforcing compulsory education changes, not evicting the population en masse.

On the other hand, Haki thinks that winning a war means all the people who live in the losing country lose all their possessions including their land rights, while the winning country gains the right to confiscate everything and ethnically cleanse the population out of the captured land. It's absurd bullshit.

Israeli lives are worth more to Israelis. Just like American lives are worth more to Americans, and the lives of your family and friends are worth more to you. The Israeli government doesn't have a moral and political obligation to the whole world, but it does to the Israeli people.

It is not wrong to value the wellbeing of those more closely connected to you more than those not closely connected. We should all value the wellbeing of all,our fellow man, but it is not wrong to give special value to the ones we are most closely connected to.

If you had to choose, for some awful reason, between the life of your spouse or child or parent, and the life of a stranger, it wouldn't be wrong for you to choose one of the former.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

hakimashou posted:

If you had to choose, for some awful reason, between the life of your spouse or child or parent, and the life of a stranger, it wouldn't be wrong for you to choose one of the former.

It actually could be but a lot of people might do not it anyway.

For example, a lot of people wouldn't shoot their wife if she was about to gun an innocent person down.

Even so, your argument is typically racist and 'might makes right' and the thing that creates the problem we're in now - it's not the solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

hakimashou posted:

Of course it has. American interests are severely impacted by international law. The $6bn+ fine faced by Google because of its abuses of dominant position in Europe is the latest example I can think of, and it's only a few days old. The rules of private international law are not at all centered on American interests, far from it. As for international public law, American client-states have been routinely condemned and compelled by international law - Israel, South Africa, or Honduras are egregious examples, but the US as well - a few rulings of the ICJ have been made against the US for example.

Here's a hint. International law is not simply the UN General Assembly and the ICC. American influence on the ICC is hella low anyway since, you know, they haven't ratified the Statue of Rome - see how their gesticulations regarding Palestine's admission into the ICC amounted to exactly nothing. Lack of jurisdiction is the main reason why no American has been indicted in the ICC, not just the fact that the UNSC will not open a case against the US.

• Locked thread