Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Holy poo poo I'm stoked for this expansion gently caress

e: lmao the art on peasant is loving perfect

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow

The Supreme Court posted:

I impulse ordered Dogs of War as the SUSD review prompted me to think "yeah, this game sounds great and I strongly considered it earlier and nearly bought it, so I'll just get it now"

then I got home and looked it up and realised it was a kickstarter with a ton of gameplay locked up as kickstarter exclusives, and that was why I hadn't bought it in the first place, despite thinking it seemed like a solid game that I'd love.

:ughh:

I'm generally a big fan of SUSD as partisan, entertaining opinion/ reviewers, but for them to miss this out entirely is a total pain in the arse.

Has anyone got Dogs of War? How easy is the exclusive stuff to proxy in?

The only Kickstarter-exclusive stuff according to their campaign page were the extra captains. It looks like the additional Order of Battle tiles and Tactics cards were added to the base box, but I don't remember if mine came in the box or if they were shipped bonus-style.

The captains are extremely easy to proxy. Their special power can be summarized in one sentence. All you'd be missing are the nifty busts and player shield with the power summary on it.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Played Puerto Rico for the first time in years last night. It's unfortunate that it has fallen out of favor as it's still a tremendous game.

Whoever was asking about euros earlier, get this game at some point- you wil not be disappointed.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I only like 1v1 high form TK and really dislike any other forms of play :shrug:

So Tek, what is the highest form of Totaler Krieg.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Durendal posted:

Played Puerto Rico for the first time in years last night. It's unfortunate that it has fallen out of favor as it's still a tremendous game.

Whoever was asking about euros earlier, get this game at some point- you wil not be disappointed.

I tried this for the first time with a couple friends last month. We spent a long time understanding and arguing about the rules but after we all got it was really a lot of fun. The central mechanic about which rounds get played really works, even more than in Race for the Galaxy.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I played a game yesterday that I enjoyed but forgot the name of. It was set on an island with different estates with Spanish-sounding names. On each estate there were a stacl of tiles representing fruit, and when the stack was exhausted you put a house on the estate. Game over when four houses were on the board. The central mchanic was a wheel with twelve spokes, each showing fruit. You placed your famers on the wheel and they moved one space per farmer on the spoke, and then collected one wooden fruit per farmer on the new spoke. You might also collect donkey carts by moving on the wheel, which you needed to do to trade in your wooden fruit for the fruit tiles on the estate, which were the actual score. The title was something Spanish-looking, short and began with an F; something like Fiaca. Does anyone know what it is?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

House Louse posted:

I played a game yesterday that I enjoyed but forgot the name of. It was set on an island with different estates with Spanish-sounding names. On each estate there were a stacl of tiles representing fruit, and when the stack was exhausted you put a house on the estate. Game over when four houses were on the board. The central mchanic was a wheel with twelve spokes, each showing fruit. You placed your famers on the wheel and they moved one space per farmer on the spoke, and then collected one wooden fruit per farmer on the new spoke. You might also collect donkey carts by moving on the wheel, which you needed to do to trade in your wooden fruit for the fruit tiles on the estate, which were the actual score. The title was something Spanish-looking, short and began with an F; something like Fiaca. Does anyone know what it is?

Finca

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GrandpaPants posted:

So I played my first game of Quantum (3p) and was wondering if I was doing something wrong because that endgame bogged down haaaard. We were all down to our last cube to place, and it started to basically be a game of whack a mole, where the winner was eventually decided by someone failing a critical roll to stop someone else, which is a rather anticlimactic way of ending things. Was there something I was missing? Was there a clearer path to victory besides trying to drop that last cube on a planet before getting jumped by an army of 2s carrying 1s or being warped by 3s? It was a really fun game before that, but then the smash the leader thing happened and it devolved into a very meh experience.

Maybe it's just that I can out-think the people I play with, but Quantum is very much about looking at what cards are on the table and building a combination where you can't possibly be stopped, or that will enable "it only looked like I was losing, but now I win" scenarios.

The last game I played I won by letting my ships get blown up. I had a card that let me put the ship anywhere I wanted as long as no enemy cube was on the planet (I think that's how it worked. I'd need to see the card again) and I also had this combined with a card that let me pick the number I wanted on my dice when I spawned. Nobody thought I was going to win, but I spawned my new guys far away from where I had been dogpiled and was able to get 2 cubes in one turn thanks to a card that would let you get another turn immediately.

I love Quantum. It's so good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Has anyone played a game that is very similar to Warhammer Quest and has really good support, it's very similar to Hero Quest if anyone has played that, does anyone have a recommendation?

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Hollismason posted:

Has anyone played a game that is very similar to Warhammer Quest and has really good support, it's very similar to Hero Quest if anyone has played that, does anyone have a recommendation?

Was it Descent? Honestly I prefer the D&D adventure games. They have quite a few warts but never feel like the slog that is Descent.

Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
My copy of Fief arrived (basically got the "complete package" from Academy Games' website, as I couldn't find the expansions available elsewhere) and every time I think I have a handle on how much politicking and giving other players grief the game allows for, I carefully go back over another section of the rulebook(s) and realize I need to get this to the table with the right group ASAP.

For example, if you're using The Crusades expansion, you can allow a lord you have held captive to go on crusade. You might offer them a deal such as reducing/obviating their ransom if they help you claim victory on crusade. You could also re-enact the premise of Kingdom of Heaven, holding Justice over a lord's head to strongarm them into going with you to the Holy Lands. Without this kind of sway over someone, you might get screwed holding the bag when it comes time to defend holdings on crusade.

Also when I was first reading the income rules I thought Windmills were an obvious investment, but now I see how they can turn against you if you don't gain ecclesiastical power over your territory - and even then a Cardinal/Pope could Tithe your lands just to mess with you and trigger an uprising. This also explains why Templar Commandery buildings are useful, since they provide the same bonus but ignore the church's antics... giving the Pope incentive to push the King to decree a Royal Edict and purge the Templars. Theme!

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fungah! posted:

Holy poo poo I'm stoked for this expansion gently caress

e: lmao the art on peasant is loving perfect

I'm glad the teacher looks just as baked as the peasant. He's finally gotten back to where he started.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

GrandpaPants posted:

So I played my first game of Quantum (3p) and was wondering if I was doing something wrong because that endgame bogged down haaaard. We were all down to our last cube to place, and it started to basically be a game of whack a mole, where the winner was eventually decided by someone failing a critical roll to stop someone else, which is a rather anticlimactic way of ending things. Was there something I was missing? Was there a clearer path to victory besides trying to drop that last cube on a planet before getting jumped by an army of 2s carrying 1s or being warped by 3s? It was a really fun game before that, but then the smash the leader thing happened and it devolved into a very meh experience.

Without looking at the board I can't tell for sure, but my first thought is "why didn't anyone win by dominance if people keep getting blown up?". An endless cycle of "B wipes out A, C kills B, A beats C" is possible, but A's newly-rolled ships would be facing C's full fleet and actions usually start to run thin. The main thing if you hit a stalemate like that where everyone's going for the same planet (as opposed to people's final planets being in different places which means you can get stretched thin) is to look at the cards on the table and see if there's anything that will give you the edge if you burn some actions on research.

There are so many different ways the board/skills can wind up though, so I can't give a definitive answer.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Played Spartacus last night and had some fun with it, I don't recommend playing with 6 players when 4 are new to board games.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
There are very few games I would recommend with 6 players four of whom are new to board games.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Not wrong, the fact I had fun with it in that situation means I should probably buy it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just for Broken Loose:

The Worst Games Ever Invented. The list was created by analyzing BGG. Good stuff.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

That was quick, thanks! Does anyone have an opinion on it? I enjoyed the worker wheel mechanic; I thought it was very intriguing and changed around often in interesting ways. Probably a bit more so in a two-player game when you can try to second-guess the other player - I played with three.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Finally played a proper game of 5-player Argent: The Consortium after having to settle with a 2-player one as my first game. I'm no longer as enamored with it as I initially was, but I still enjoy it a good bit. We did the default 5-player set-up and just had everyone use one of each mage color. By Round 5, nobody had a clue who was winning even with a lot of marks out. I decided to make a gambit and take most of the Bell Tower cards early in Round 5 since I thought I was in a good position, but I wasn't able to grab first in influence and the guy who did won a couple tie-breakers and managed to get five votes in the end (I got second with three). The big thing was that, probably due to poor/no shuffling, none of the magic school votes were out, so it came down to stuff like most marks, most consumables/treasures, most gold, etc.

But everyone enjoyed how cutthroat and confrontational it was for a worker placement, and if it weren't so long (and if I didn't have a bunch of other long games to play) I could probably get this game more play. I kinda regret buying the expansion now since I doubt I'd ever actually need it between the already crazy amount of variability in the game and the length preventing me from bringing it to the table more often, but it's not that expensive and lets me further support a cleverly-designed game so it's no biggie. I'd probably stick with 3 or 4 players in the future to speed things up a bit and probably use a bigger table because it really does use a ton of space. Still a good game to get if you want long confrontational euros that does something different from the usual "get the most victory points" formula.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Good some good gaming in yesterday with 3 players. Many rounds of Love Letter, which is always popular and currently my favorite 'filler' game.

Next we played Kemet for the first time, which I very much enjoyed. I liked that the game emphasized fighting, but my two friends were a bit more skeptical. We talked about it for quite a while afterwards, but they seemed to dislike how easy it was to teleport to an obelisk, and didn't like how all combat seemed to take place at temples. I think their main problem is that they looked at the board, saw cities, armies, and movement spaces and instantly thought of a land grab game ala Risk or Axis and Allies. They didn't like that the regular 'land' areas were not used very much. My thoughts about it is that it all comes down to resource (prayer point) management. Getting the movement bonuses allows you to basically save resources anytime you want to attack, and the board is really more of an abstraction since the furthest a space is from you is 3 spaces (or a teleport for the delta spaces). I ended up buying the blue 'prescience' power early on, and I will admit it did end up seeming sort of overpowered in hindsight. Then again, even though I won, it was by tie-breaker and the 3rd place player was only a few victory points behind (despite some questionable decisions on his part imo) so the game ended up being very close regardless. I definitely want to try it again with 4 people.

Finally we played Libertalia for the first time ever. We all enjoyed it, though we all agreed that it would be a far better game with more players than it was with 3.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

House Louse posted:

That was quick, thanks! Does anyone have an opinion on it? I enjoyed the worker wheel mechanic; I thought it was very intriguing and changed around often in interesting ways. Probably a bit more so in a two-player game when you can try to second-guess the other player - I played with three.

I played it once, with two. It was fine I guess? Didn't really stand out to me, but I'm admittedly not a fan of most euros.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Finally we played Libertalia for the first time ever. We all enjoyed it, though we all agreed that it would be a far better game with more players than it was with 3.

That's interesting, I find it to be best with 3, although it's fine with 2. With more than 3 the unpredictability gets to a point where it starts to feel like your actions don't ultimately matter as much.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 19, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Post arrived!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I've played four games of The Voyages of Marco Polo and really enjoyed them. It's by the designers of T'zolkin but it's nothing like that game. Basically there's a travel around the board component and a contract component, both of which compliment each other. The interaction is the usual "I'll take this before you do to make you pay more" that you often see in Eurogames. With experienced players it should last about 20 minutes per player. I like it because there are a lot of choices, the travel component of the board will change significantly every game and the character tiles are certainly powerful. I will be getting Brew Crafter tomorrow and Elysium on Wednesday/Thursday so I'll have more to report next week I hope.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Good some good gaming in yesterday with 3 players. Many rounds of Love Letter, which is always popular and currently my favorite 'filler' game.

Next we played Kemet for the first time, which I very much enjoyed. I liked that the game emphasized fighting, but my two friends were a bit more skeptical. We talked about it for quite a while afterwards, but they seemed to dislike how easy it was to teleport to an obelisk, and didn't like how all combat seemed to take place at temples. I think their main problem is that they looked at the board, saw cities, armies, and movement spaces and instantly thought of a land grab game ala Risk or Axis and Allies. They didn't like that the regular 'land' areas were not used very much. My thoughts about it is that it all comes down to resource (prayer point) management. Getting the movement bonuses allows you to basically save resources anytime you want to attack, and the board is really more of an abstraction since the furthest a space is from you is 3 spaces (or a teleport for the delta spaces). I ended up buying the blue 'prescience' power early on, and I will admit it did end up seeming sort of overpowered in hindsight. Then again, even though I won, it was by tie-breaker and the 3rd place player was only a few victory points behind (despite some questionable decisions on his part imo) so the game ended up being very close regardless. I definitely want to try it again with 4 people.

Kemet is better with three than four. Four players takes away the Sanctuary of All Gods as a means for scoring points, which disproportionately strengthens aggressive strategies.

I agree that Libertalia is best with 4-6 players, mostly because of Treasure Maps. You may have to fight to get three maps in a larger game, but in a smaller game you're unlikely to even see three. The game also plays in 30+5/p, which makes it better for a larger group IMO.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jedit posted:

Kemet is better with three than four. Four players takes away the Sanctuary of All Gods as a means for scoring points, which disproportionately strengthens aggressive strategies.

I agree that Libertalia is best with 4-6 players, mostly because of Treasure Maps. You may have to fight to get three maps in a larger game, but in a smaller game you're unlikely to even see three. The game also plays in 30+5/p, which makes it better for a larger group IMO.

We never actually used the Sanctuary, but it was our first game so we really didn't know the strategies. Towards the end of the game I sent an army there that had retreated from the Delta temple, but someone killed me before I could do the sacrifice.

With Libertalia we kind of thought that since everyone plays their cards at the same time adding a bunch of extra people shouldn't slow down the game as much (analysis paralysis aside).

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Lorini posted:

Just for Broken Loose:

The Worst Games Ever Invented. The list was created by analyzing BGG. Good stuff.

Cootie is loving brilliant, I won't hear anything else

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
I will be going to a different game group tomorrow they tend to skew a bit lighter and more 'tabletopy' than my regular group but there's more of them so maybe I can get a 5 player game of kemet going.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Back from trip to Florence where I managed to find a copy of Tragedy Looper, I saw a couple of people recommending cheat sheets, I assume these are just the BGG ones. Anything else to watch out for?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Just a quick question if anyone knows:
Is the best/cheapest place to buy Puzzle Strike: 3rd Edition just the game creator's website (Sirlin Games)? It seems $59.99 with free shipping is the lowest it goes and it isn't really offered at other major retailers.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Rules question for Eminent Domain: Escalation. With the Colony Ship tech card, where does the +1 Colony come from? Do you take one from the Colonize pile and tuck it under the Colony Ship (which would deplete the pile faster), or do you use some other misc marker?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The colony comes from your hand, either a colonize card or a tech card with that symbol.

We were confused about that too and the designer clarified that on bgg:

quote:

quote:

SPNSAndy wrote:
The rules governing the Colony Ship left me unclear as to where you get the Colonies you add to the ship. Do you play them from your hand? And if so, does that mean you can't add a Colony if you're not holding one? Or do you get them from the stack of Colonize role cards?

While we're at it, am I correct in assuming that any card with a Colonize symbol can be used to represent a Colony on the Colony Ship? And that Terraforming, which has two Colonize symbols on it, can't be used in this way?

"+1 Colony" on Colony ship means you are allowed to place a card with a Colonize icon (a Colonize card, or a Tech card with a Colonize symbol, including Terraforming) under Colony Ship as a free action once per turn, on your own turn.

The colonies stay there until you trigger Settle a Planet, at which time you can redistribute them (as well as other Colonies in your Empire) before flipping over a planet.

Therefore you cannot add a colony if you do not have the appropriate card in hand. You do NOT take a Colonize card from the Stacks for Colony Ship.

Terraforming has 2 Colonize symbols on it, each of which counts as a colony. You cannot split those 2 colonies up between planets because they're on the same card, but it's still 2 colonies. The game text on Terraforming only applies when using it as an Action, so redistributing the colonies from Terraforming when Settling will never result in flipping 2 planets at once.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1109297/colony-ship-where-do-you-get-colonies

Game could really use one of those bits in the back of the book that expands on each tech card, sort of like Dominion and GtR

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Is the best/cheapest place to buy Puzzle Strike: 3rd Edition just the game creator's website (Sirlin Games)? It seems $59.99 with free shipping is the lowest it goes and it isn't really offered at other major retailers.

I bought the game a few months ago and it seemed then that this is the only way to get it.

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 19, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

JazzFlight posted:

Sirlin doesn't sell his games through any form of distribution other than his own store.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

S.J. posted:

Sirlin doesn't sell his games through any form of distribution other than his own store.

You can buy it through Amazon but his company still fulfills it.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Another Eminent Domain question: can you follow a role if you have zero of those symbols? We had a player who wanted to follow a research role to buy expansion things that cost fighters, from the rulebooks I can't tell if he needs a research symbol to do it or not.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Another Eminent Domain question: can you follow a role if you have zero of those symbols? We had a player who wanted to follow a research role to buy expansion things that cost fighters, from the rulebooks I can't tell if he needs a research symbol to do it or not.

The expansion techs can be bought with Research symbols or ships, but not both, so I'd say that A) he can follow with zero symbols and B) he has to follow with zero symbols.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah you can always follow or choose a role without having the card in hand

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I played a worker placement game called Stone Age tonight. It was pretty good! I enjoy this kind of game, even when I come in last.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

House Louse posted:

I haven't played it in years so I can't actually give an opinion, sorry. That worker-wheel mechanic is called a Rondel or Rondela or something like that, so you can use that word to search for other games like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ConfusedUs posted:

I played a worker placement game called Stone Age tonight. It was pretty good! I enjoy this kind of game, even when I come in last.

Yeah, stone age is a quality entry worker placement game, a sub genre of board games including such luminaries as Agricola, dungeon petz, caverna, and many more.