Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

Can android do gapless music playback yet? I never understood why my sandisk MP3 player from 2003 could handle it but not an android smartphone.

maybe with 8 cores it will work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

did you root and install app2sd and mp32sd
back in 2010 when i had a nexus one it was absolutely necessary

tho mp32sd (lol) is actually supported out of the box still today as its one of very few legitimate uses for removable storage

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
everything else is just "look at my emulator with 2700 roms" or "so i can anime on the bus"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LastInLine posted:

it claims to but doesnt do it properly

well that just about sums up everything google ever does.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cremnob posted:

ive got a massive rock hard woody because of this EU anti trust case (and also into android too lkmao). google is hosed

lol vestager is all bark and no bite.

before she got into the danish govt she and her so-called "radical left" made a lot of promises that they did not keep (eg financial tax), and even in some cases they went back on promises made in unison with the other govt parties. its one thing if shifting majorities force your hand, but there was literally a presiding majority for some of their promises and they did not follow through.

gently caress vestager, gently caress the govt, gently caress it all

sorry for lfing but what the gently caress else are you gonna do in a google thread :rolleye:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

uh this is a big deal and the fact that it got to this point at all and wasn't settled shows just how much bite there is. and the android investigation is an even bigger deal

fishmech was wrong

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
can someone get a google plus mod out of the ballpool to look at the flagged reviews https://plus.google.com/u/0/105900044828587807365/about?hl=en&gl=ch

this is assuming they employ humans to look after the content on their systems instead of a lovely algorithm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cremnob posted:

uh this is a big deal and the fact that it got to this point at all and wasn't settled shows just how much bite there is. and the android investigation is an even bigger deal

fishmech was wrong

if you do a five year investigation and come out guns blazing, yeah, there must really be some good anti-trust dirt under there

but

the worst-case scenario is a slap on the wrist. google is not going to be devastated by having to pay a fine and un-bundle some businesses in the eu.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
that article had some good points but I think the best one is about the stock. I don't think people realize how much a rising stock is important for employee retention. why would your best employees work for you when they could be working at a place where their RSUs appreciate while vesting? that's the real brain drain issue.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

poty posted:

can someone get a google plus mod out of the ballpool to look at the flagged reviews https://plus.google.com/u/0/105900044828587807365/about?hl=en&gl=ch

this is assuming they employ humans to look after the content on their systems instead of a lovely algorithm

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

that article had some good points but I think the best one is about the stock. I don't think people realize how much a rising stock is important for employee retention. why would your best employees work for you when they could be working at a place where their RSUs appreciate while vesting? that's the real brain drain issue.

RSUs go along way to protect them, really. as the author points out, RSUs always have some value to the employee, even if it's less than hoped.

nothing is more depressing than an option grant with an unattainable strike price. it's more like an anti-retention mechanism, a uh, attrition mechanism

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I don't believe the euros have the strength to do anything other than impose a tax on google for being successful and some limp wristed action that will accomplish nothing. the U.S. knows that once they get a taste for protectionistantitrust action against successful American companies they will find a way to go after all of the big ones, and should be making it clear that anyone from Airbus to Volkswagen could find themselves in front of an American antitrust panel if this continues

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

that would honestly be a good thing, gently caress germany

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
no, gently caress google

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

poty posted:

there's a 'flag this review' button and those do get looked at (by people)

but uh yeah maybe there should be a "no reviews allowed here" flag (https://plus.google.com/101929026904107212747/about?hl=en)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you do a five year investigation and come out guns blazing, yeah, there must really be some good anti-trust dirt under there

but

the worst-case scenario is a slap on the wrist. google is not going to be devastated by having to pay a fine and un-bundle some businesses in the eu.

remember Windows N? the version of Windows that you can technically buy but noone uses because it costs the same as regular Windows but makes you download media player seperately?

that's the absolute most google will be subjected to in europe. probably implemented as a "click here european" link on the google homepage that noone uses after they notice it's harder to access Maps through it.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

poty posted:

no, ban cremnob :toot:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

I don't believe the euros have the strength to do anything other than impose a tax on google for being successful and some limp wristed action that will accomplish nothing. the U.S. knows that once they get a taste for protectionistantitrust action against successful American companies they will find a way to go after all of the big ones, and should be making it clear that anyone from Airbus to Volkswagen could find themselves in front of an American antitrust panel if this continues

google actually is abusing a monopoly position in search, tho

the u.s. anti-trust investigators spent a lot of time and money on google and decided it was politically infeasible to pursue the case. there was a case there, but google is too rich to fail.

at least the euros have balls

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

remember Windows N? the version of Windows that you can technically buy but noone uses because it costs the same as regular Windows but makes you download media player seperately?

that's the absolute most google will be subjected to in europe. probably implemented as a "click here european" link on the google homepage that noone uses after they notice it's harder to access Maps through it.

fishmech is right

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

excuse you, windows n fill the critical role of doubling the number of msdn windows keys you get

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

this wouldn't really be a big deal if we got rid of private property

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

they could be forced to negotiate differently with european oems

i'm sure there's a novelty state-supported oem with a 3% market share in portugal which will happily benefit from this

ufarn
May 30, 2009
gonna get a clippy for google just to spite eu

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rjmccall posted:

they could be forced to negotiate differently with european oems

i'm sure there's a novelty state-supported oem with a 3% market share in portugal which will happily benefit from this

all those oems shipping the google.com website

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nintendo Kid posted:

all those oems shipping the google.com website

i think rjmccall means if their hints of going after android pan out.

if the eu could kill the anti-fragmentation clause that would be nice. like you said there won't be huge consumer demand for android devices without google services but you might start to see stuff where people don't know it is android like the fire tablet. i wonder tho if something like "you can't manufacture non-google android devices except to sell in the EU" would be ok.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the fines are not even the important part. the important part is changing business practices. busting up the MADA agreements so google cant include google search, youtube, etc on every phone would destroy the entire purpose of android as a defense cause then microsoft can bid to be the default search engine or outlook to be default email (or any other startup competing with any google service). making it so google cant just decide to enter into any vertical like flight search or local listings and promote their own product to the top/penalize competitors directly affects their bottom line. its also cool and good cause google wants to get into insurance as well

vestager is owning so far and shes doing all the right things. she's limited the initial complaint to product search where they probably have the strongest evidence and is easy to understand and argues there is consumer harm (even though in europe antitrust laws are about ensuring competition). shes on a tour in washington DC about the case to get in front of the criticisms that this is "anti-american" (which is really funny cause apparently 1/3 of the complainants are american tech firms)

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

quote:

I agree with many of the sentiments of this thread that Google does not culturally instill a need to develop a market (online SEM, SEO content, viral techniques, social seeding of "influencers", PR, etc...).

Many ex-Googlers believe that technology is the driving force in the initial success of a startup. This is usually wrong and especially wrong in the world of genuinely social products (Facebook, Twitter, Quora, FriendFeed, Blippy, Path.io, etc...) which are some of the most important things happening on the web today.

I think there is another way to phrase this which is primarily a more general observation of the same thing. Most Googlers joined the company long after the product/market fit was achieved and Google's end-user PMF didn't significantly change over time as the revenue model was discovered.

Other companies like PayPal had lots of early employees before something which was the eventual business was really "working". As such, they built a culture that was involved in the navigation to get to PMF and were exposed to a lot of important learnings in the process.

Facebook had great PMF from the start, but the product has navigated so quickly that the core/important parts of the initial product might be necessary foundationally, but not as directly linked to the eventual way FB really builds a scalable (read massive multi-billion dollar) revenue model.

quote:

I'd suggest that a lot of ex-Googlers, especially product managers, have too much faith in "product" and not enough experience, trust, or even value the art and science of marketing. At Google, they never had to think about marketing problems - the user would just come, and if the user didn't come (SearchWiki, Google Answers, Wave, Orkut ex-{Google, Brazil, India}, Base, Lively), they could just chalk it up as "an experiment", and move onward. Product Marketing Managers at Google are largely limited to supporting Product Managers, who really do rule the roost and are the "stars", for better or worse.

One could contend this is simply a part of Google's DNA and is part of what's made them so successful - which might be true. But I think that there is a general lack of insight into marketing problems in the early idea-brainstorming phase of a startup. A PM will rush into creating a (potentially wonderful and well-designed) product like FriendFeed or Aardvark without adequately thinking deeply about branding, user acquisition, messaging, relationship marketing, etc. It's mostly a result of ignorance into what marketing is really about at a high-level, not a lack of ability.

I predict in the longer-term, you'll see more startups come out of Google's cache of product marketeers.

quote:

Alex's answer is a good start, but there are some additional key distinctions:

a) The number 1 reason consumer Internet startups fail is lack of customer adoption. Normal Americans are busy, with families, jobs and other obligations and they are already bombarded by 3,000 commercial messages per day. The skill to cut through this clutter and become a site that the average American uses on a frequent basis is very rare. (Best estimates are that a normal user uses only 7 sites frequently.) Almost nobody hired at Google after 2000 has any demonstrated ability in this discipline.

b) In addition, after Google became successful, the type of candidate who applied and was hired shifted from the entrepreneurial to the smart yet homogeneous type. (Shift was pronounced by 2005.) As I have observed previously, only disruptive people create disruptive companies. (Stated differently, great entrepreneurs do not tolerate rules and constraints very well). Google has screened out personalities of this sort since at least 2004 and maybe since 2002.

c) Insofar as there are successful startups from this pool, it is fascinating that all of them were founded by corporate development and sales ops folks, not the engineers or product managers which attract so much attention and money.

quote:

It's 95% related to hiring. Google's formula puts a high value on people that have excelled in institutionalized environments, whether that's school or other prominent corporations. This practice has worked for generations at financial services companies and large global companies but it's a recipe for failure in innovation. Google now pays a huge premium to acquire or acqui-hire companies that don't follow these practices but then they have a hard time retaining those employees once the financial incentive is gone. In all, Google needs to blow up their hiring process, get rid of resumes and be much more tenacious about finding innovative thinkers if they want to innovate from within.

quote:

Google fundamentally believes that product is everything and that humans don't really matter. (Part of the reason they keep screwing up social.)

In order to get consumer adoption in today's environment, it has to be baked into the product from the beginning. You need to give marketing thought to what will get people to come back, what will get people to share, etc. Google has a strong and artificial distinction between product management and product marketing.

If you're talking about increasing users, increasing usage, etc, which are the fundamental goals of product marketing, that needs to be tied into product development.

Google employees have been fooled by their success to some extent. Google can launch a product, put out a blog post and get worldwide coverage and hit all of the blogs. But once you step outside Google the entity, the product you launch won't get nearly that kind of attention.* (Ex-Googlers will be able to get more attention than most due to pedigree.)

* While Google has been able to get a ton of attention, many of these hyped things like Wave, Google Squared, go nowhere because the adoption mechanisms weren't thought through.

google is institutionally not capable of real innovation because they dont actually know how to make successful products/businesses. their entire history as a company has been hitching services to their one successful product in search (and even that was a mega fail for google+). its obvious that larry/sergei/eric decided early on that engineers were more important than anything else which is why they are incapable of ever executing with any product they make. i can just imagine the typical technology company nerd meme against marketing or MBAs and google has made that a core part of their culture lmao

cremnob fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 19, 2015

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i am displeased with google

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

cremnob posted:

art and science of marketing

bwahahahahahahaha

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

marketing is a legitimate thing
it's advertising that's shameful and wrong

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

yea if ur an idiot bitch like Blue Train just substitute "marketing" for "good at business"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cremnob posted:

google is institutionally not capable of real innovation because they dont actually know how to make successful products/businesses. their entire history as a company has been hitching services to their one successful product in search (and even that was a mega fail for google+). its obvious that larry/sergei/eric decided early on that engineers were more important than anything else which is why they are incapable of ever executing with any product they make. i can just imagine the typical technology company nerd meme against marketing or MBAs and google has made that a core part of their culture lmao

a google with all the moonshot nonsense stripped out would be twice as profitable

a lean, mean google that abandoned all the idiot bullshit would be a license to print money

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

marketing is a legitimate thing
it's advertising that's shameful and wrong

you have this backwards

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

marketing is an integral part of making products and isnt just "hmm lets get some ads in Times Square". but its pretty obvious why the idiots at management in google dont get it since this isnt just a google meme but an entire silicon valley way of thinking as we're seeing already

actually silicon valley is too limiting, its just a general coder/engineer nerd thing which also relates to the meme about not getting a STEM degree and "anything in the liberal arts is useless"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
b
a
n

c
r
e
m
n
o
b

:marc:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Wild EEPROM posted:

b
a
n

c
r
e
m
n
o
b

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Forgot about blippy lol

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

b
a
n

c
r
e
m
n
o
b

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

the fines are not even the important part. the important part is changing business practices. busting up the MADA agreements so google cant include google search, youtube, etc on every phone would destroy the entire purpose of android as a defense cause then microsoft can bid to be the default search engine or outlook to be default email (or any other startup competing with any google service). making it so google cant just decide to enter into any vertical like flight search or local listings and promote their own product to the top/penalize competitors directly affects their bottom line. its also cool and good cause google wants to get into insurance as well

vestager is owning so far and shes doing all the right things. she's limited the initial complaint to product search where they probably have the strongest evidence and is easy to understand and argues there is consumer harm (even though in europe antitrust laws are about ensuring competition). shes on a tour in washington DC about the case to get in front of the criticisms that this is "anti-american" (which is really funny cause apparently 1/3 of the complainants are american tech firms)

lol you're going to kill yourself when the case wraps in 10 years with a slap on the wrist

Progressive JPEG posted:

Forgot about blippy lol

credit cards in html source never forget

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

lol you're going to kill yourself when the case wraps in 10 years with a slap on the wrist

:toot:

• Locked thread