Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You don't want my 3rd gen 6ULs; they're beat up and the paint is damaged.

I've been looking for Yamaha C3s because of you, you bastard. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

They can't be that bad, just sell them to me for the cost of shipping and I'll paint them :q:

I love my C3, putting a set of Michelins on it transformed it into a GP bike in my silly mind. I'm gonna order an aftermarket shock for the rear and change the oil in the front shocks to a heavier weight, then I'll feel like Valentino Rossi :3:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phone posted:

You should buy the wheel that has legendary status for being unavailable considering that the only reason why you're looking at new wheels is because you're bending wheels on an annual basis. Also, the K1-TS is made by Kosei.

Once again, you don't have a modified suspension, so getting a bigger wheel and tire combo doesn't really make sense. A 205/50R15 will fit on an 8" wheel, it's OK. You could also pick up 195/50R15s, and they'll fit like a glove. If you're buying UHP Summer tires, you shouldn't be concerned with your tires lasting more than 18 months. Buying a compromise tire like a V12 or DZ102 is pretty dumb because you get all of the disadvantages of an UHP, but they're floppy and don't grip well either.

When my car was stock:
14x6 hollow spokes with 195/60R14 Falken Azenis RT-615 (3 sets, I think) and Hankook Ventus RS2s

When I picked up a suspension:
15x7 Kosei K1-TS with 225/45R15 Hankook R-S3s pinched on them

When the car broke, I sold the K1-TSs to Fatcow and parked it. After I got it back on the road:
3rd gen 15x9 949racing 6ULs with 225/45R15 Hankook R-S3s and BFG Rivals 225/45R15
(also ran 195/50R15 Star Specs on my Mazda2 on Miata 15x6 M-edition BBS wheels in 2012)

I'm going to put the Version 2s of the Hankook R-S3s on when the Rival shows cords and I'm also going to pick up a set of 4th gen 6ULs in 15x9 and put 225/45R15 Toyo RRs on them.

My recommendation? Buy a set of Kosei K1-TS wheels and Z2s.

Well, to be fair, at least 3 of the 5 rims had been bent when I got the car. :shrug: And they're apparently notorious for that. And yeah, I've been looking at a lot of different tires/rims and tiredposting, so sorry about that. :3:

I'd like to have the more durable of the rim options we've been talking about, and the lighter the better.

So it looks like at this point I'm leaning towards your recommendation for the 15x7 Kosei K1-TSs and 205/50-15 Star Specs. I guess this means I can have them mounted and balanced by Tirerack since I'm buying everything from them? Fortunately, this will mean I can get new wheels a lot sooner than I was anticipating. :neckbeard:

Edit: Ok, so how does this look?

I had to specify a different car, the loving site wouldn't even let me choose 15" for the MSM. Also I should probably replace the spare, it's got to be as old as the car and I wouldn't trust it if I ever had to drive on it.

Related question: how do you determine tire inflation pressure on a completely different wheel setup? The MSM has 29/32 f/r listed for the 17s. I think my NA with 15s was 26 or 28 all around. Again, this is for aggressive street driving, no autocross or track.

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 19, 2015

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Since we are on tire/wheel chat, anyone running Advanti Racing Storm/Konig Dial In? I'm on the fence on the look but they are very lightweight.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Gorson posted:

Since we are on tire/wheel chat, anyone running Advanti Racing Storm/Konig Dial In? I'm on the fence on the look but they are very lightweight.

I'm running storm S1's in 15x9 with 225/45/15 RS3's.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I'll throw a question in to the ring: For STR class what is the best tire to actually be able to compete with the rocketships in the lead, and whats the most affordable way to get a set?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Gorson posted:

I'm about to get Dial Ins in 15x9 since NASA members get crazy cheap wheels from Konig. Gotta be willing to put stickers on your car.

https://nasa-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/content/upload/4972/konig_nasa_2014.pdf

FatCow fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 19, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ughhh, I wanted to not get a black car again, but I guess I have to...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Would love to have a full-fledged midlife crisis and get the blue one, but the wife wants to "buy a bigger house" and "start a family."

I guess I'll have to wait until 2030 to get one :(

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Nocheez posted:

Would love to have a full-fledged midlife crisis and get the blue one, but the wife wants to "buy a bigger house" and "start a family."

I guess I'll have to wait until 2030 to get one :(

I just got engaged and its basically the wedding or that car in blue. I'll see you in 15 years. :(

Fake edit: god drat it looks good in that blue.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
No fun colors? Where is a god drat yellow.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah bring back mariner blue or something. Also what's wrong with straight up red anymore? Soul Red Premium Metallic :rolleyes:

The gray actually isn't bad, but yeah black it would have to be.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
nope not going to do it, picking out which ND color i like the best is the first step to a terrible financial decision...

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

Also what's wrong with straight up red anymore? Soul Red Premium Metallic :rolleyes:

It deserves the fancy name as it's seriously one of the best looking reds I've ever seen on a car. I've seen a few 3s and 6s with it and it's amazing when it's out in the sun.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Re-asking this:

Atomizer posted:

Related question: how do you determine tire inflation pressure on a completely different wheel setup? The MSM has 29/32 f/r listed for the 17s. I think my NA with 15s was 26 or 28 all around. Again, this is for aggressive street driving, no autocross or track.

Regarding Star Specs and Winter:

Julian@Tirerack posted:

It is an issue, it would be best to keep them indoors. The rubber compound can get so stiff and brittle in the colder temps the sidewalls could crack.

Well gently caress my rear end....

Edit: And this reply just arrived:

Jennifer@Goodyear posted:

Thank you for contacting our web site. Dunlop Star Spec ZII's are D.O.T.
approved ultra high performance summer tires with track capability. The
rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks
in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Goodyear does not
recommend using these high performance summer tires when temperatures drop
to approximately 40 deg F (5 deg C) or below, or in snow/ice conditions.

Further, it is recommended for these tires to be stored indoors at
temperatures above 20 deg F (-7 deg C) when not in use. If the tires have
been subject to 20 deg F (-7 deg C) or less, let them warm up in a heated
space to at least 40 deg F for 24 hours or more before installation or
driving the vehicle. Inflate the tires only after they have been warmed
above 40 deg F (5 deg C). Do not place tires near heaters or heating
devices used to warm the room where the tires are stored. Do not apply heat
or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use
after storage periods.

Jennifer - Consumer Relations

I really have to move somewhere warmer....

Atomizer fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 20, 2015

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

My desired colors are 10AE blue, yellow, then white in that order. It looks like white would be my choice for 2016 :(

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Atomizer posted:

Re-asking this:

Do you want a real answer or a fake one?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phone posted:

Do you want a real answer or a fake one?

Why would I want a fake answer? If I did I would've posted in FYAD.

If it's a dumb question, I apologize.

I hope you can at least see why I'm asking:
- I've never replaced a vehicle's wheels with a completely different setup, so this is all new to me,
- I've never had extreme performance Summer tires or anything close to Star Specs, and am not familiar with the specifics of their care and maintenance,
- I understand the Star Specs have soft sidewalls, so there will obviously be a handling difference from what I'm used to but this also depends on the tires' pressure,
- on top of the above, lower pressures can increase the chance of rim damage (to which this car is obviously prone),
- where most Miatas run the same pressure all around the MSM starts off with greater pressure in the rear, which is something you may or may not recommend with the new setup.

Is it really that odd that someone would ask about this? Just because you might know the answer doesn't mean everyone else does. I clearly asked here because I value your expertise. Sorry if that offends you.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Trick question: it doesn't matter.

The poo poo on the side of your door sill is for OE equipment; you're changing the tire size. You're not going to do what you "should" do because you're not doing anything performance related, so fill it up 30 psi on all 4 corners and bump it up/down per axle depending on wear and how it feels.

Star Specs have stiff sidewalls, not soft. Also, why are you buying Star Specs if you're not interested in autocross (or track)? If you're going to be using the Star Specs for what they're made for (cornering consistently fast), you're going to be breaking the law on the street.

Phone fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 21, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phone posted:

Trick question: it doesn't matter.

The poo poo on the side of your door sill is for OE equipment; you're changing the tire size. You're not going to do what you "should" do because you're not doing anything performance related, so fill it up 30 psi on all 4 corners and bump it up/down per axle depending on wear and how it feels.

Star Specs have stiff sidewalls, not soft. Also, why are you buying Star Specs if you're not interested in autocross (or track)? If you're going to be using the Star Specs for what they're made for (cornering consistently fast), you're going to be breaking the law on the street.

Well thanks, I thought the answer was going to be something like "play around with it" but assumed that someone else has already done that so I wouldn't have to deal with the trial & error. It's not like I can test that many different combinations in a single day because I'd have to wait for the tires to cool down to adjust the pressure accurately. But yeah, I'll have to experiment.

I guess some people think they've got soft sidewalls, and maybe they're wrong, or maybe they're comparing them to tires that are even stiffer. Obviously they'll have a different feel from my current setup.

I've read stuff like this:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=451362
Where someone'll say "Star Specs like higher pressures" and recommend upwards of 38 psi, which sounds like a lot on a Miata. I think my NA was 28 psi all around, on 15s, so that's my frame of reference. That's why I asked the original question, so I'd have some idea of what to expect.

And the reason I had it narrowed down to Star Specs is because almost everyone who responded in this thread (yourself included) has specifically recommended them, even after I mentioned they'd be for 100% street use. And people do seem to say they're great street tires as well. As far as this is concerned:

Phone posted:

If you're going to be using the Star Specs for what they're made for (cornering consistently fast), you're going to be breaking the law on the street.

...well I'm not going to admit to anything, but I'm sure that you, like myself, have never violated any traffic laws. I've never raced anyone, exceeded the posted speed limit, or taken turns at 40 mph. The only reason I bought an MSM was to drive to and from church every Sunday. (Did I mention that I'm a 70-year-old grandmother?) ;) :ssh:

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/2016-mazda-mx5-miata-pricing-production

2016 miata pricing was announced and it looks like while pricing of the base version only rose about $1K, the club rose about $1.5K and GT $2.5K.
The package with big brakes, BBS wheels, and supposedly functional trim pieces is $3.4K.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Atomizer posted:

Well thanks, I thought the answer was going to be something like "play around with it" but assumed that someone else has already done that so I wouldn't have to deal with the trial & error. It's not like I can test that many different combinations in a single day because I'd have to wait for the tires to cool down to adjust the pressure accurately. But yeah, I'll have to experiment.

I guess some people think they've got soft sidewalls, and maybe they're wrong, or maybe they're comparing them to tires that are even stiffer. Obviously they'll have a different feel from my current setup.

I've read stuff like this:
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=451362
Where someone'll say "Star Specs like higher pressures" and recommend upwards of 38 psi, which sounds like a lot on a Miata. I think my NA was 28 psi all around, on 15s, so that's my frame of reference. That's why I asked the original question, so I'd have some idea of what to expect.

And the reason I had it narrowed down to Star Specs is because almost everyone who responded in this thread (yourself included) has specifically recommended them, even after I mentioned they'd be for 100% street use. And people do seem to say they're great street tires as well. As far as this is concerned:

...well I'm not going to admit to anything, but I'm sure that you, like myself, have never violated any traffic laws. I've never raced anyone, exceeded the posted speed limit, or taken turns at 40 mph. The only reason I bought an MSM was to drive to and from church every Sunday. (Did I mention that I'm a 70-year-old grandmother?) ;) :ssh:

Don't go on mnet. To be quite honest, for putting around on the street, you might be better off with S Drives or something. The Z2 is a tire made for autocross and track days.

My avatar is what happens when you put super grippy tires in the hands of someone who's never had super grippy tires and who has never done an autocross. Don't be like me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Longinus00 posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/20/2016-mazda-mx5-miata-pricing-production

2016 miata pricing was announced and it looks like while pricing of the base version only rose about $1K, the club rose about $1.5K and GT $2.5K.
The package with big brakes, BBS wheels, and supposedly functional trim pieces is $3.4K.

Mnetters are loving losing their poo poo. Mark Booth is whining non-loving-stop for the past week about the satellite radio "shark fin", and then the prices were announced today... Everyone's losing their poo poo about how the Miata is no longer a good value (while internally noting that they paid 4k for their clapped out piece of poo poo) and that $3400 for forged BBS wheels and fuckin' Brembos is a Bridge. Too. Far. Mazda's lost their way. :qq:

The only thing I'm miffed about is that the Grand Touring doesn't have the packages laid out to where you can see if it's going to come with a Torsen or not.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
The only thing I don't like about the car is that tablet looking nav thing. But I'd never buy one because I'm way to cheap to buy new cars.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

FatCow posted:

The only thing I don't like about the car is that tablet looking nav thing. But I'd never buy one because I'm way to cheap to buy new cars.

quote:

One rung up is the Club trim for $28,600, and it improves things with 17-inch wheels, a more aggressive body kit and a seven-inch touchscreen infotainment system.

Looks like you can just get the base version if you don't want it? It's not quite clear on that.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Phone posted:

Mnetters are loving losing their poo poo. Mark Booth is whining non-loving-stop for the past week about the satellite radio "shark fin", and then the prices were announced today... Everyone's losing their poo poo about how the Miata is no longer a good value (while internally noting that they paid 4k for their clapped out piece of poo poo) and that $3400 for forged BBS wheels and fuckin' Brembos is a Bridge. Too. Far. Mazda's lost their way. :qq:

The only thing I'm miffed about is that the Grand Touring doesn't have the packages laid out to where you can see if it's going to come with a Torsen or not.

Someone tell these people how money works. I'll start:

NA Miata Base price in 1989: $13,800
(per Car & Driver archived review http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/1990-mazda-mx-5-miata-archived-test-review-the-line-forms-here-page-2)

$13,800 in 1989 money buys $26,122.29 worth of car in 2015
(per the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Inflation Calculator http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=13%2C800&year1=1989&year2=2015)

Per that AutoBlog article, "2016 Miata in the base Sport trim starts at $24,915".

Dur dur dur how do numbers work again?

The ND may be an objectively better car, but my NA is sexier.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
One of them accurately brought up that wages have been stagnant for the past 25 years, but that's not here nor there.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
I'm not a big MSM fan, but if anyone in the bay area is in the market, this example looks pretty nice and the owner seems like a honest and rad dude

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4987160378.html

I want to buy it just because he put some much effort into his listing. So loving tired of "sup CL, testing the waters (thumb obscuring license plate)" errrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phone posted:

Don't go on mnet. To be quite honest, for putting around on the street, you might be better off with S Drives or something. The Z2 is a tire made for autocross and track days.

My avatar is what happens when you put super grippy tires in the hands of someone who's never had super grippy tires and who has never done an autocross. Don't be like me.

I know miata.net has a reputation, but that's where I have to go to find a lot of Miata-specific stuff. If I try to ask in this thread you guys yell at me. :saddowns:

As far as the tires go, since you brought up the S.drives, I did mention the DZ102s, which are in the same category, and this is what you told me:

Phone posted:

Buying a compromise tire like a V12 or DZ102 is pretty dumb because you get all of the disadvantages of an UHP, but they're floppy and don't grip well either.

My recommendation? Buy a set of Kosei K1-TS wheels and Z2s.

So believe me, I do respect your opinion, but as you can see you're giving me conflicting advice. How I'm interpreting it is this: go with UHP tires for now, and then buy EP tires (i.e. the Star Specs) when I move to an area of the country that doesn't make me want to kill myself half the year due to the lovely weather. :suicide: Considering the fact that the Nitto NeoGens I've got now are all-season, UHP Summer tires will be an upgrade. How does that sound?

And as far as UHP Summer tires go, I seem to have 2 reasonable options in 205/50: the DZ102s or S.Drives. They seem pretty similar; any preference? (For what it's worth, on my '97 I was going to go with S.Drives.)

Also, the guys at tirerack are really hesitant about 15" rims on the MSM. I e-mailed Rudy specifically about the K1-TS, a guy who seems to specialize in Miatas and Kosei, and he wants me to call him to discuss fitment. I'll have to do that another day, but I'll let you know what he says. It really is a lot of money to drop on wheels if they don't fit. If they do fit that's great.

What is your avatar? The rear end slid out in that curve and you over-corrected into the woods?

AF posted:

I'm not a big MSM fan, but if anyone in the bay area is in the market, this example looks pretty nice and the owner seems like a honest and rad dude

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4987160378.html

I want to buy it just because he put some much effort into his listing. So loving tired of "sup CL, testing the waters (thumb obscuring license plate)" errrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh

That's exactly what mine looks like (boat anchors and all) except I don't have a rollbar. It really is a fantastic color, especially in the sun when it's clean.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Atomizer posted:

I know miata.net has a reputation, but that's where I have to go to find a lot of Miata-specific stuff. If I try to ask in this thread you guys yell at me. :saddowns:

As far as the tires go, since you brought up the S.drives, I did mention the DZ102s, which are in the same category, and this is what you told me:

So believe me, I do respect your opinion, but as you can see you're giving me conflicting advice. How I'm interpreting it is this: go with UHP tires for now, and then buy EP tires (i.e. the Star Specs) when I move to an area of the country that doesn't make me want to kill myself half the year due to the lovely weather. :suicide: Considering the fact that the Nitto NeoGens I've got now are all-season, UHP Summer tires will be an upgrade. How does that sound?

And as far as UHP Summer tires go, I seem to have 2 reasonable options in 205/50: the DZ102s or S.Drives. They seem pretty similar; any preference? (For what it's worth, on my '97 I was going to go with S.Drives.)

Also, the guys at tirerack are really hesitant about 15" rims on the MSM. I e-mailed Rudy specifically about the K1-TS, a guy who seems to specialize in Miatas and Kosei, and he wants me to call him to discuss fitment. I'll have to do that another day, but I'll let you know what he says. It really is a lot of money to drop on wheels if they don't fit. If they do fit that's great.

What is your avatar? The rear end slid out in that curve and you over-corrected into the woods?

That's exactly what mine looks like (boat anchors and all) except I don't have a rollbar. It really is a fantastic color, especially in the sun when it's clean.

My parents have a set of Kosei K1-TS on their 2004 MSM. They fit. Trust me. The S.drives are more floppy and will be quieter on the street. If you get into autocross, then I'd look into the Z2s, but you haven't expressed interest in it, so it'd be wasting money and tires.

It's from a mishap at Deals Gap back in 2007. Stayed on the road, but it wasn't exactly fun to slide across the road in a manner like that. There was a photographer the next corner down.

Phone fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 21, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus christ the tire sperging in this thread is giving me a headache.

Phone posted:

$3400 for forged BBS wheels and fuckin' Brembos

I would totally pay that.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone if you buy your ND with that package I wanna drive it ok

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be going to my first trackday soon hopefully, and although I'll try to take it easy as I don't have the money for 4 hours worth of tires, brakes and other poo poo that can blow up, is there anything I should check/do to prep in advance? It's an absolutely stock 1.8 NBFL with sticky tires.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 21, 2015

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Make sure you change your brake fluid and pads at a minimum, nice fresh oil and if you're in an area thats warmer than normal you'll likely need some sort of cooling upgrade or you're going to be taking as many cooling breaks as laps on track.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Yeah if you're not doing racing or anything you'll ruin the feel of the car with tires like the star spec. Too sticky for street driving. Get something like the s drive or the sport comp 2 (a lot of tire for the money). Also the reason tire rack is concerned is because they want to sell OEM size. I ordered tires for my M3 that had 10 lower profile and they wouldn't process the order till they had me confirm I wanted the non OE size via phone or email.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Hey Miata thread, anyone recognize this bracket? From coworkers NA miata and he has no idea where the hell it came from? Number on it is SPT 421518

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire

Bought a 90 5spd with 120k and a new to for a pretty decent price on Saturday. Zero rust, only issue is there's a dumb bra on the front because the front bumper is pink from sun fade.

I haven't driven a miata since I sold my 95 back in 2010 or so. Forgot how much fun these cars are. Seems faster than my 95 even though this 1.6 is stock and my old car had a newer 1.8l with headwork that I swapped in. It's probably in my head though as the weight can't make that big of a difference, maybe I'm feeling the higher final drive. I do miss having a torsen though.

What's the way to go these days with diffs? I didn't realize how pricey torsen's are, I was looking at rx7 clutch types but I'd have to get the 1.8l diff casing anyway...

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

NitroSpazzz posted:

Hey Miata thread, anyone recognize this bracket? From coworkers NA miata and he has no idea where the hell it came from? Number on it is SPT 421518

Isn't that "3PT 421518"? Since it's not dirty or corroded it looks like an interior piece, and "3PT" and the shape of the part makes me think it's a seatbelt component.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Gorson posted:

Isn't that "3PT 421518"? Since it's not dirty or corroded it looks like an interior piece, and "3PT" and the shape of the part makes me think it's a seatbelt component.

It's definitely a SPT but I was thinking seatbelt as well. Can't find anything that looks similar on GIS so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

NitroSpazzz posted:

It's a guide for the seatbelt.