Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

phosdex posted:

I'm not really a fan of Sublime. Webstorm 10 and Adobe's Brackets are what I've been using lately.

At home I use Brackets as well, for simple web work (maintain an automotive forum, that I run). Mercy on your soul if you actually work for a living doing programming work on a mac...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

iOS and Mac developers seem to do just fine?????

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

carry on then posted:

iOS and Mac developers seem to do just fine?????

As well as every web developer I know

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The people who write the software running on our Xeons write it on their Macbooks. For example, some of the Julia language devs write on MBs.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rnr posted:

At home I use Brackets as well, for simple web work (maintain an automotive forum, that I run). Mercy on your soul if you actually work for a living doing programming work on a mac...

Do most devs use Windows? I guess that's kind of a silly question since most everyone works with Windows. I guess a better question is whether OS X is over represented among software developers. Is it like, a quarter of devs using a Mac or what?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

tuyop posted:

Do most devs use Windows? I guess that's kind of a silly question since most everyone works with Windows. I guess a better question is whether OS X is over represented among software developers. Is it like, a quarter of devs using a Mac or what?

It depends on what sort of software you're working on. In a place like Silicon Valley, probably close to 90% of devs use Macs. In a government context, that'll be far far less - possibly single digit percentages.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Also most developers (at least at my work) that need to SSH into stuff or regularly interact with stuff via a command line work tend to gravitate towards Macs because PuTTY's only okay and there's not much in the way of actual vendor support if you're rolling your own Linux-based desktop.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's the reason I always give people when the talk comes to why I'm willing to pay 1000 dollars for an Air when I could be paying half that for a MUCH FASTER computer!!

Most of my time in front of the computer is spent sshing into our servers or typing into markdown documents on the train/plane/toilet/... And I don't see a better machine for doing this on than Macbooks.

At least since homebrew and Anaconda (which you can use to get R and Python), setting up the scientific stack on a Mac has become a breeze.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

A point often lost on the Windows neckbeard types: a Mac is the only machine that represents the superset of all platforms. You can run everything on it from all desktop platforms, very easily.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

What an odd question. I don't even know any devs that run Windows anymore.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Last Chance posted:

What an odd question. I don't even know any devs that run Windows anymore.
Government / Financial / Medical programers are almost exclusively Windows.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mercurius posted:

Also most developers (at least at my work) that need to SSH into stuff or regularly interact with stuff via a command line work tend to gravitate towards Macs because PuTTY's only okay and there's not much in the way of actual vendor support if you're rolling your own Linux-based desktop.

See it's funny, because a few months/years ago I asked for an alternative to PuTTY or MobaXTerm on Mac, and I didn't get any real response. Therefore when I'm using SSH for work from home, I use my PC with Moba on it instead. I couldn't find a SSH client that kept saved sessions with macro keys.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Government / Financial / Medical programers are almost exclusively Windows.

Maybe financial in general, but I deploy dozens and dozens of Macs to devs at a bank. They've outpaced marketing since I got this job.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
"Finance" is an impressively large field to generalize; from experience, the quant side is overwhelmingly Linux or OSX.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Agreed. I have very little idea what they're developing. I just know they're doing so at a bank. :)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

A point often lost on the Windows neckbeard types: a Mac is the only machine that represents the superset of all platforms. You can run everything on it from all desktop platforms, very easily.

That's actually a really good point that I hadn't thought of at all.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

IUG posted:

See it's funny, because a few months/years ago I asked for an alternative to PuTTY or MobaXTerm on Mac, and I didn't get any real response. Therefore when I'm using SSH for work from home, I use my PC with Moba on it instead. I couldn't find a SSH client that kept saved sessions with macro keys.
I only need to use SSH infrequently so I've always personally just used tmux from homebrew combined with iTerm2 stuff for myself but it looks like there's an App on the MAS for $5 called vSSH that does most of what you wanted. Seems that they also have a lite version that you can try to see if it's what you're looking for.

Mercurius fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 20, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

OK so this is hosed.

My Asus EEE machine from 8 years ago can transfer a 100MB folder of MP3s from my NAS to its local storage in under a minute.

the same process via my 2011 iMac on the same connection, 2.4 or 5ghz takes about 5 minutes.

transferring the same folder back to the NAS takes 2 min on the EEE and doesnt even initialise on the iMac - it just sits there preparing forever and then eventually times out with a -36 error.

is OSX just absolutely garbage at wireless file transfer? You'd want to hope that they had this under control before deleting all the loving ports on the new macbook.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Laserface posted:

OK so this is hosed.

My Asus EEE machine from 8 years ago can transfer a 100MB folder of MP3s from my NAS to its local storage in under a minute.

the same process via my 2011 iMac on the same connection, 2.4 or 5ghz takes about 5 minutes.

transferring the same folder back to the NAS takes 2 min on the EEE and doesnt even initialise on the iMac - it just sits there preparing forever and then eventually times out with a -36 error.

is OSX just absolutely garbage at wireless file transfer? You'd want to hope that they had this under control before deleting all the loving ports on the new macbook.

I have no issues on my 2012 rMBP or my 2014 rMBP. I just spent the entire weekend moving 100s of GBs of project data around to and from my NAS Raid.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Laserface posted:

OK so this is hosed.

Error -39 indicates something's hosed on your file system, either locally or remotely (my money's on local). Verify the disk in Disk Utility.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My Mac is beach balling all over the place and I don't know what to do or how to fix it. I restarted a couple times and it's still running unusually slow, hanging up constantly and everything is taking forever to start up. I'm on a Samsung SSD with 210GB free. This is the June 2012 13" non-retina Macbook Pro.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Are there any safari plugins that allow you to set youtube videos to autoplay at the highest res and fit the player width to the window size? Don't need any more than that but the ones I've tried are kind of ropey.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I said come in! posted:

My Mac is beach balling all over the place and I don't know what to do or how to fix it. I restarted a couple times and it's still running unusually slow, hanging up constantly and everything is taking forever to start up. I'm on a Samsung SSD with 210GB free. This is the June 2012 13" non-retina Macbook Pro.

Try booting off a USB stick or to the recovery partition?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Try booting off a USB stick or to the recovery partition?

Using Command+R at boot got me into Internet Recovery. So i'm going through that right now.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Generic Monk posted:

Are there any safari plugins that allow you to set youtube videos to autoplay at the highest res and fit the player width to the window size? Don't need any more than that but the ones I've tried are kind of ropey.

ClickToFlash does a good job converting YouTube/other video hosts to HTML5. It also gives you a nice menu of options to download the video, open in QuickTime (what you want, but even better), or just restore to flash.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Laserface posted:

DigitalRaven posted:

Error -39 indicates something's hosed on your file system, either locally or remotely (my money's on local). Verify the disk in Disk Utility.

It was error code -36. It's usually fixed with:
code:
dot_clean /Path/To/Directory/With/Problem/
Here's a good write-up of how to fix.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/02/21/fix-error-code-36-finder-mac-os-x/

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 20, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Recovery mode didn't help, and i'm doing Apple Hardware Test right now. Booted into safe mode earlier, and that didn't help either, the beach ball problem was only slightly less bad in that mode, but my computer was still unusable.

[edit]
Hardware Test didn't find any issues.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

NOTinuyasha posted:

ClickToFlash does a good job converting YouTube/other video hosts to HTML5. It also gives you a nice menu of options to download the video, open in QuickTime (what you want, but even better), or just restore to flash.

Ironically I had to actually install flash before this plugin actually worked, which was kind of a bummer. Was getting on fine without it as well; the only major things that didn't work with pure HTML5 were Facebook videos, none of which are at all worthwhile. Doesn't Safari come with the ability to block plugins on a site-by-site basis anyway? Also not a huge fan of the interface for the default safari HTML5 player.

Given all that I think I'll just stick to the default player since a good option for safari doesn't seem to exist. I'll stick to chrome when I don't want their lovely site telling me what quality I want. Thanks for the help anyway though :)

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

flosofl posted:

code:

I typo'd the number, -36 is the general "something to do with your disk is hosed."

dot_clean can work, but it's worth noting that it isn't a silver bullet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay, i'm still having issues and really need help. I'm clueless. I want to bring my Macbook Pro back to its factory default settings, that means going back to OS X Mountain Lion, and then upgrade again back to Yosemite. Apple has a very easy process for doing this through Internet Recovery. The problem is that the Mountain Lion download is painfully slow. I'm looking at 18 hours and 47 minutes right now. Are there any other options available for downloading Mountain Lion and putting it on a USB stick?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Okay, i'm still having issues and really need help. I'm clueless. I want to bring my Macbook Pro back to its factory default settings, that means going back to OS X Mountain Lion, and then upgrade again back to Yosemite. Apple has a very easy process for doing this through Internet Recovery. The problem is that the Mountain Lion download is painfully slow. I'm looking at 18 hours and 47 minutes right now. Are there any other options available for downloading Mountain Lion and putting it on a USB stick?

Not in a legit way. The only way is through a recovery install or spending $20 in the online Apple Store to have them send you a DVD.

The only other way would be if there was a way to check the Internet for ISOs of dubious provenance. But that's obviously a technology beyond our ken.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

flosofl posted:

Not in a legit way. The only way is through a recovery install or spending $20 in the online Apple Store to have them send you a DVD.

The only other way would be if there was a way to check the Internet for ISOs of dubious provenance. But that's obviously a technology beyond our ken.

I have my previous hard drive still intact with everything on it. So i'll see what I can do with that then.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I said come in! posted:

If the end game is Yosemite, why wouldn't you just do a clean install of 10.10.3?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

You should be able to do a clean install of Yosemite, as long as you can still boot. No need to go back to ML and then upgrade.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

If the end game is Yosemite, why wouldn't you just do a clean install of 10.10.3?

I don't have a backup of 10.10.3, i'm a dummy, and OSX won't boot. :cripes: I don't even have a partition anymore, it didn't matter OSX was unusable when I was able to boot into it. I just got the beach ball endlessly.

[edit]
I got into my old hard drive that still has everything on it.

[edit 2]
Okaying, Installing Yosemite again on my SSD. I am realizing that after today I badly need another hard drive for a time machine. I want to buy something where ideally I can back up both my Mac and PC to. Recommendations are much appreciated, I have no idea what to do in this area.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 20, 2015

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
My money is on your SSD is hosed. In my experience constant random beachballs = dying drive.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DigitalRaven posted:

flosofl posted:

code:

DigitalRaven posted:

I typo'd the number, -36 is the general "something to do with your disk is hosed."

dot_clean can work, but it's worth noting that it isn't a silver bullet.

I appreciate all this advice, and I will try it when I get home, but I can transfer files without issue over ethernet, just not over wifi. Its not a network issue because windows machines can do back and forth fine over wifi. If I attempt to use Airvideo while my Mac is on wifi, it stops every few seconds to buffer for a minute or so. this doesnt happen on LAN.

This is using a dual band router, with my ipad on one frequency and my iMac on the other.

I mean, even the LAN connection is reduced to 11mbps because its using ethernet over power and it still out paces wifi.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

My money is on your SSD is hosed. In my experience constant random beachballs = dying drive.

That's what i'm starting to lean towards. It's a Samsung 850 Pro. I just got this SSD not even two months ago. :cripes:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Choadmaster posted:

10.10.4 completely hosed my iMac. Had to rollback to 10.10.3. It was a giant beach party.

edit: not clear if that was his problem. but I just got back from the party now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Is there a solution like Perian, but for Ogg Vorbis audio? I already have some fork of Perian installed, and that gets me working VP8 video in Safari, but no audio. The official QuickTime components for Ogg Vorbis on xiph.org haven't been updated since dinosaurs roamed the earth.