Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

To which I replied with a portrait of Charles the Second of Spain.

:spergin: Well actually, Charles the Second was the result of generations of uncles marrying nieces, not sibling incest.

EDIT: Worst. Snype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah after I saw that in that thread I was hoping this would happen, I know the Toonami thread is going to be happy about this. Ugh I had the same type of person say I was being offensive when I said that the romance subplot in SAO was gross because apparently its okay to have romantic feelings towards your siblings in Japan. To which I replied with a portrait of Charles the Second of Spain.

You ever been stuck in a perkins while a girl and her fiance try explaining to you why the incest in sword art online is okay

I have

It aint pretty

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Compendium posted:

The dim hope of developing self-awareness and tact? :frog:

:smith:

FirstAidKite posted:

You ever been stuck in a perkins while a girl and her fiance try explaining to you why the incest in sword art online is okay

I have

It aint pretty

my goondolances

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

DStecks posted:

:spergin: Well actually, Charles the Second was the result of generations of uncles marrying nieces, not sibling incest.

EDIT: Worst. Snype.
What about the Amish then since they are all 10x hosed up genetically?

FirstAidKite posted:

I have

It aint pretty
I just don't understand the mindset, I mean seriously why?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

welp it was fun while it lasted; she's back

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jay O posted:

I was going to respond to this with "Gee, I sure do enjoy being compared to a site that endorses GooberGolf and called a shitlord just because I'm one of the few people that bothers to call out yer constant shitposting and passive-aggressive harassment of others across multiple threads."

I just meant I don't like you personally(and you don't like me, so I'm pretty sure I'm not crushing you by saying that) but really like your videos and written stuff, I wasn't including you in the second part of that post. At worst my feelings for you is a mild dislike.

achillesforever6 posted:

I know the Toonami thread is going to be happy about this.

I have bad news.

achillesforever6 posted:

Ugh I had the same type of person say I was being offensive when I said that the romance subplot in SAO was gross because apparently its okay to have romantic feelings towards your siblings in Japan.

Whoever you were talking to was completely incorrect and I'd laugh at anyone who tried arguing that. That kind of thing is considered super creepy in Japan too, if not more so because it's considered stereotypically "otaku", and otaku in Japan are basically bronies.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 20, 2015

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

I just don't understand the mindset, I mean seriously why?

Cause I said I didn't wanna watch it cause of the weird incest stuff and they were like "no no no you don't understand, it's not weird you see because they aren't actually siblings and also when they're playing the online game, the virtual world is so real that if you could make things from the virtual world real, then it would be real, and so with just their brains in the virtual world, there's no blood connection with these new bodies or anything so it's okay"

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

WickedHate posted:

Whoever you were talking to was completely incorrect and I'd laugh at anyone who tried arguing that. That kind of thing is considered super creepy in Japan too, if not more so because it's considered stereotypically "otaku", and otaku in Japan are basically bronies.
Well considering it was the Spoony Experiment anime forums I would not be surprised if said person was otaku. I do remember having a pretty heated argument with someone there who was from Japan because I said the Japanese working ethic/culture was loving awful and soul crushing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

please do not engage WickedHate

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

DoctorWhat posted:

please do not engage WickedHate

WickedHate is losing a lot of Jeffersons today...

WickedHate posted:

At worst my feelings for you is a mild dislike.

The dislike is equally mild, my acquaintance. The annoyance however, is quite high. There wouldn't be any problems if you just effortposted and didn't shitpost repeatedly.

We would also have fewer problems if I didn't needlessly respond to your shitposting. Effort responses to shitposts. My Achilles heel.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 20, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Okay let's....try to steer this thread back.

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts on what year you'd like Todd to do a Worst of list for? I'm personally hoping for some early 90's stuff, maybe 90-91. When you start reaching the mid 90's you're getting some pretty great rock, some amazing R&B and some phenomenal pop music. I generally roll my eyes at "Oh man, you KNOW you're a 90's kid when...." poo poo but I really miss that sort of chilled out pop we seemed to get back in the mid to late 90's. "Always Be My Baby" is one of my favorite pop songs of all time :allears:.

But you were also getting some really loving terrible stuff in the early 90's. The horror that is Bryan Adams, Color Me Badd, Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, loving SNOW.

Though my taste is probably terrible because I've seen Sugar Ray's "Every Morning" on a list of the worst 90's songs of all times and I stand by that song :colbert:

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 20, 2015

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I started watching SAO with my girlfriend a couple weeks ago, and once they got to the cousin romance subplot I had Elfen Lied flashbacks.

Way to derail a show I was otherwise enjoying up to that point.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

What about the Amish then since they are all 10x hosed up genetically?

They marry second-cousins, because that doesn't seem so bad at first, I mean, you don't share grandparents so you're not really cousins right, but then you keep doing it generation after generation, and whoops now doctors have to come up with new names for the genetic diseases you're creating.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I hope Todd does another new wave song soon, those are always amazing.

DoctorWhat posted:

why did this forum tolerate a known incest-pedo for so long, especially one as insufferable and incessant as WickedHate?
:aatrek:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Benne posted:

I started watching SAO with my girlfriend a couple weeks ago, and once they got to the cousin romance subplot I had Elfen Lied flashbacks.

Way to derail a show I was otherwise enjoying up to that point.

Ah, so thats why that show is hated. Cause on first glance it sounded right up my alley. I loved .hack back in the day and this has a similar premise.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

BigRed0427 posted:

Ah, so thats why that show is hated. Cause on first glance it sounded right up my alley. I loved .hack back in the day and this has a similar premise.

It also had a damsel in distress and rape implications (physical and mental). That's all I'm going to say and I don't want to go further in detail.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

BigRed0427 posted:

Watch Log Horizon if you enjoyed .hack. That show is all about the in-depth mechanics of how literally living in an MMO would function, with a bunch of likable goons in the cast.

Sword Art Online is extremely basic and derpily written self-insert fantasy that happens to take place in a video game, but it's not in-depth nerdy like .hack. It's Nondescript Supernerd Heroically Saves Girls Who Want to Bone Hime Anime #11,320, just with a VR-MMO backdrop. Entertaining, yes. Good and makes you feel good watching it, no. Log Horizon is definitely what you're looking for.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

So hey, did someone seriously give SFDebris $1300 to watch 52 episodes of an anime that just looks boring and forgettable, cause drat that's a lotta cash

It really seems like the anime fans have the most cash to burn. I got someone who has requested the first third of YuYu Hakusho with promise of the rest of the series later. I don't charge nearly as much as SFDebris, but I've received over $500 so far, and if he goes through with the entire show, it adds up to $2240. Not that I'm complaining, mind you...

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

To be frank genetic trends to happen with groups if sustained to enclosed and or specific circumstances for prolonged generations. The whole thing with the triple breast cancer risk on Ashkenazi breast havers ,Malaria stricken regions having a higher percentage of Sickle Cell Anemia comes to mind or Germanic folk having a lesser chance of having lactose intolerance comes to mind.

Edit: HAha I thought SAO was "Stand Alone Complex", whoops!

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

poparena posted:

It really seems like the anime fans have the most cash to burn. I got someone who has requested the first third of YuYu Hakusho with promise of the rest of the series later. I don't charge nearly as much as SFDebris, but I've received over $500 so far, and if he goes through with the entire show, it adds up to $2240. Not that I'm complaining, mind you...

It does tend to be an expensive hobby. Even if yer a filthy pirate and don't buy home video or comics, the number of character goods (figurines, posters, etc.) that Japan makes available for anything with even a wee following is powerful, and anime seems to attract the collector-minded, so YA BETTER HAVE CASH.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Isn't that how a bunch of anime companies make their revenue tho?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I thought about buying an anime figurine once until I saw the price. :stare:

At least the bluray price seems OK for a complete 30 episode series. Nadia. Secret of the Blue Water.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kunster posted:

Yea from what I understand anime companies consider their actual anime at best a push, they make their bank on fifty different figures or phone case charms or whatever, and their market has responded to this with a resounding "YES PLEASE".

So yea, if someone is a Big Anime Fan they probably have a decent bit of cash to burn which means poo poo like this happening where some dude just plops down over a grand to make a dude who doesn't care watch his pet anime that's biggest sin is banality.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I thought about buying an anime figurine once until I saw the price. :stare:

At least the bluray price seems OK for a complete 30 episode series. Nadia. Secret of the Blue Water.

What drives me nuts though is that a lot of these companies are just now releasing whole shows or seasons in one set. Otherwise they are still selling them four episodes at a time on DVD.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Kunster posted:

Fleecing otaku? Yes. Getting into the 2000s, this was basically the entire anime business model. Prior to that, anime was less commoditized, which doesn't mean it was better necessarily, but it was less laser-targeted product. Fewer shows were produced, but they were more likely to be shown on wider-reaching stations at decent hours. When the phenomenon of otaku became more of a public thing, companies realized they could produce shows for this specific demographic that really got their juices going, jack up the price for special editions and figurines and etc., and at very least break even, maybe even make a killing on shows that ran on deep cable at 1 AM and didn't even need to sell that many units.

The industry bubble burst in 2008 or so when that stopped working. Too much product on the market, too much of it targeting the same niche audience, too many tankers.

The market has wholly recovered now (in fact we may be headed for another bubble, yikes), and the end result is anime output that's sort of in the middle audience-wise. There's a ton of otaku material on the market (SAO being one of the big successes), but you also have more talented voices and incredible artists getting to make shows for a slightly wider audience. It's a happy medium for now. I think too much is still being produced, there are lots of weird flops and greenlighted mistakes that don't appeal to hardcore otaku or normal animation fans and are basically pushing that bubble's limits as the market expands too fast, but it's a hell of a lot better than it was in like 2007. Or 2002.

Jesus. Nobody wants to go back to 2002 in anime...

EDIT: In response to the above posters, just be glad you live in America (or Canada or Europe). Anime is cheaper and more accessible than it's ever been here. It's largely still "expensive" because anime fans are consumer whores (guilty myself), but we're getting like four times the bang for our buck that Japanese fans get.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jay O posted:

Watch Log Horizon if you enjoyed .hack. That show is all about the in-depth mechanics of how literally living in an MMO would function, with a bunch of likable goons in the cast.

Sword Art Online is extremely basic and derpily written self-insert fantasy that happens to take place in a video game, but it's not in-depth nerdy like .hack. It's Nondescript Supernerd Heroically Saves Girls Who Want to Bone Hime Anime #11,320, just with a VR-MMO backdrop. Entertaining, yes. Good and makes you feel good watching it, no. Log Horizon is definitely what you're looking for.

It's one of those shows where it feels like they forgot what the plot was halfway through

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Are they making any money off of Hulu and other streaming services? I'd like to think that these commercials I'm watching on Hulu are doing some good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BigRed0427 posted:

What drives me nuts though is that a lot of these companies are just now releasing whole shows or seasons in one set. Otherwise they are still selling them four episodes at a time on DVD.

Anime and manga are built on the backs of otaku with more money than sense. They have been trained by years of market research to see the audience as either Otaku Jimmy the dude who will buy all of the episodes on blu-ray if they come with a figure of the main character doing a cute pose or Casual Fan Joey who has a few favorite episodes and watches it when he can but he'll be happy to buy a disk that has his favorite episodes and meh for the rest he'll catch it when it reruns or torrent it. It's a fascinating combo of not 100% grasping modern distribution methods being viable and 100% grasping EXACTLY what kind of consumers you have.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Are they making any money off of Hulu and other streaming services? I'd like to think that these commercials I'm watching on Hulu are doing some good.

American licensors make a beaucoup of money on those Hulu ads while you're watching One Piece or whatever, so yes, rest confident that those ads are keeping Funimation, Viz, etc. in business. It does help the Japanese side of the business too, just indirectly. You're shaking the hand of a person shaking someone else's hand, basically.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Anime and manga are built on the backs of otaku with more money than sense. They have been trained by years of market research to see the audience as either Otaku Jimmy the dude who will buy all of the episodes on blu-ray if they come with a figure of the main character doing a cute pose or Casual Fan Joey who has a few favorite episodes and watches it when he can but he'll be happy to buy a disk that has his favorite episodes and meh for the rest he'll catch it when it reruns or torrent it. It's a fascinating combo of not 100% grasping modern distribution methods being viable and 100% grasping EXACTLY what kind of consumers you have.

To be fair, companies are frequently not very good at guessing what otaku want. If they were, there wouldn't be as many embarrassing flops as we get per season. It took anime companies years to go "what would happen if we started like making nice shows for girls instead of all the cheap crap ones?" and the result was A HUGE INFLUX OF MONEY INTO THE INDUSTRY via Free! and Uta no Prince-sama, now some of the highest-selling anime series in Japan. Which is great, because those shows are just absolutely shameless beefcake, they have sex-positive attitudes and heartwarming messages, it's fluff you can feel good about instead of the angry-male-nerd fluff that dominated the industry pre-bubble burst.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 20, 2015

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can't really blame anime producers, if I could sell a single figurine of a girl from my show for 120 a pop (double the price if she is naked) I'd milk it for all its worth.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Hulu and Crunchyroll ad cuts basically saved Viz/Funimation back in the day when licensors were going belly-up every other week.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It's a food chain thing more than direct, but yea. You're giving a fair amount of revenue to Funimation and the like and in return they're able to produce more for their Japanese Masters and then of course they benefit from that too. So yea, in the same way that eating at a 'farm to table' place supports local farmers (to give 'watching One Piece in my underwear' some loving noble connotation)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's a food chain thing more than direct, but yea. You're giving a fair amount of revenue to Funimation and the like and in return they're able to produce more for their Japanese Masters and then of course they benefit from that too. So yea, in the same way that eating at a 'farm to table' place supports local farmers (to give 'watching One Piece in my underwear' some loving noble connotation)

please use the word "underpants" instead of "underwear"

it's funnier

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Say Jay O, to what extent to Anime producers think about the audience outside of Japan in terms of business decisions?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 20, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jay O posted:

American licensors make a beaucoup of money on those Hulu ads while you're watching One Piece or whatever, so yes, rest confident that those ads are keeping Funimation, Viz, etc. in business. It does help the Japanese side of the business too, just indirectly. You're shaking the hand of a person shaking someone else's hand, basically.

To be fair, companies are frequently not very good at guessing what otaku want. If they were, there wouldn't be as many embarrassing flops as we get per season. It took anime companies years to go "what would happen if we started like making nice shows for girls instead?" and the result was A HUGE INFLUX OF MONEY INTO THE INDUSTRY via Free! and Uta no Prince-sama, now some of the highest-selling anime series in Japan.

Oh yea I'm not saying they're dumb or whatever. I'm super sure if I was in the same position as a Japanese anime CEO man I'd probably have some lovely internet nerd talking about how I 'don't understand' things too. The model they have makes them fat stacks on otaku whales, and trying new things (even fairly reasonably obvious good new things) is scary for an industry that is basically an elaborate house of cards built on the foundation of a handful of titans who are rapidly approaching 'oh right you're old as balls...poo poo' territory.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I legitimately can't believe SFdebris is going to be able to do 52 loving episodes of Full Moon, he has so little to actually talk about. It really sucks that the moment the dude said "Hey, maybe anime isn't awful! I'll check this out!" he wasn't given a bunch of awesome stuff but a couple great shows and 2 long rear end, boring shows he has literally nothing to say about and he's now obligated to power through. I'd love if he basically said gently caress it and videos from now to 52 are just "Still sucks, seeya next time!" because good lord.

He hasen't even done FMA yet or even Attack on Titan for gods sakes someone give the poor bastard a break.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Nah, it's the rape cage and all that surrounds it that makes SAO outright hated. In comparison, the sister/cousin stuff is merely a somewhat annoying 'oh, Japan' thing.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I kinda respect Yuusa far more as as a person on animation than Miyazaki for that reason.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

BigRed0427 posted:

Say Jay O, to what extent to Anime production companies think about the audience outside of Japan in terms of business decisions?

Some! Not a lot, not frequently.

Almost never is an anime series explicitly "made for American audiences." Space Dandy is the most recent and obvious example, but more often that's done for movies like the Escaflowne movie or the Trigun movie, etc., when a show does a lot better in America than it did in Japan. (The Bebop movie is sort of an either/or case, as Bebop did pretty well in Japan and is considered a classic there as well, just, ya know, America's population is much bigger and we dug it too.) "Will this hit in America?" is sort of in the very back of a lot of brains on your average late-night anime production, but it's not a foremost thought.

If anything, they pander to France and some other European nations more than America. There's a new Lupin III TV show that is airing exclusively in Italy, despite Lupin's legendary status in its home country, because Lupin is also a BIG THING in Italy, I guess. Latin America has a well-known love affair with Dragonball Z and Saint Seiya. So they expect and understand that certain properties will have unusual fanbases in other nations, but usually anime is made with a Japanese audience of some kind in mind first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zedd posted:

I hope Todd does another new wave song soon, those are always amazing.

I hope he does anything at all soon, his output has slowed to a crawl since he hopped on Patreon. I assume it's prolly because he's working on a new top 10 worst list and those are a lot of effort, but still.

• Locked thread