Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Who What Now posted:

Saying "Death to X!" is akin to saying "gently caress X!" here in America. So if you got cut off in the Middle East you would say "Death to traffic!", but you wouldn't actually mean you literally intended to murder an abstract concept any more than saying "gently caress McDonald's!" because they forgot your dipping sauce for your McNuggets meant you actually wanted to have sex with the Golden Arches.

This is all fine and dandy, if Iran didn't invade American soil and bomb our other embassies. When you invade America, kill American diplomats, plot to conduct terrorism on homeland soil, and scream "Death to America" every week? Well, you have American blood on your hands and you're screaming for more. Don't be surprised when the real debate is between bombing and holding off bombing 10 years in the hopes somebody'll emerge as a moderate opposition which we can arm to bomb for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

My Imaginary GF posted:

When you invade America, kill American diplomats, plot to conduct terrorism on homeland soil, and scream "Death to America" every week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRmtzgOxtas

Never Forgive Never Forget

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
growing ironicat

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Have they even apologized for invading American soil? Not conditionally, not something like 'We're so sorry you weatern dogs forced us to burn your cia honeypot to the ground,' but an actual, unconditional apology?

No? If they're not even sorry they invaded America, how the gently caress can we trust them to own the gently caress up to their past nuclear weapon programs and work for a future deal?

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Have they even apologized for invading American soil? Not conditionally, not something like 'We're so sorry you weatern dogs forced us to burn your cia honeypot to the ground,' but an actual, unconditional apology?

No? If they're not even sorry they invaded America, how the gently caress can we trust them to own the gently caress up to their past nuclear weapon programs and work for a future deal?

They're waiting for us to apologize for destroying their democracy.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Ralepozozaxe posted:

it's not true democracy if you elect Leftists

so says MIGF, duke of chicago

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ralepozozaxe posted:

We didn't destroy their loving democracy, their power-hungry populist who managed to piss everyone off so much that Iranian elite felt not choice but to coup him destroyed democracy.

PupsOfWar posted:

it's not true democracy if you elect Leftists

so says MIGF, duke of chicago

:rolleyes: And I'm sure Morsi was on the path towards sustainable democracy in Egypt, right?

Mossadegh was the Mohammed Morsi of the 50s.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I thought we forgave Iran for the hostage thing when we sold them missiles.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

:rolleyes: And I'm sure Morsi was on the path towards sustainable democracy in Egypt, right?

Mohammed Morshi was a good man and my friend, MIGF.

What do you got against Transitional Dictatorships?

Mohammed Morsi was the Lee Kuan Yew of North Africa.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

My Imaginary GF posted:

We didn't destroy their loving democracy, their power-hungry populist who managed to piss everyone off so much that Iranian elite felt not choice but to coup him destroyed democracy.

Are you sure?

And your right, Egypt should have kept the dictator we helped keep in power our support and moolah.

Ralepozozaxe fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 20, 2015

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MIGF knows this transpired, he just denies it is a bad thing via his traditional just-worlding of terrible realpolitik.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Are you sure?

And your right, Egypt should have kept the dictator we helped keep in power our support and moolah.

I'm goddamn proud we had a role in supporting patriotic Persians in overthrowing a populist hellbent on consolidating power through inappropriate, unsustainable, and worst of all, irrational policy implementation. Of course we had a role supporting representative opposition within Iran overthrow a populist hellbent on dictatorship, in securing Iran from their Chavez for the 50s.

And you know what? We'll do it again in Iran, we'll do it in a heartbeat in case the military ever wants to depose the Shah. Or at least, we would under a President who isn't so afraid of arms in the mideast that he'll only authorize airstrikes when a second Benghazi is threatened to imminently occur without them.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.
Well I'm glad I left the thread so we could talk about the important things, like school lunches, 10 pages of drakegrim trolling, and Beanghazi.

I don't even remember elementary school lunches. I did luck out and get a scholarship to a private school for 3 years of high school, and they did food in a pretty impressive way: tables were set up with like 6-8 kids and either a senior or a teacher sitting at the head of the table. Everyone had a job, and the food was served family-style. You had assigned seats, but they rotated you around and encouraged conversation with anyone you ended up sitting with. The menu was repetitive, but everything was cooked back in the kitchen, and it was clearly "real" food, not stuff that had been pre-frozen. If you're willing to actually hire people who cook, and manage your own kitchen, I can't imagine that it's as expensive as that outsourced contractor food.

My favorite school lunch story, though, is from when I got to teach music at a private girls high school in London, near where Marx used to live. The school had been around for a few centuries, and instead of a teachers' lounge, there was a teachers' refectory, with real plates and silverware, and a lunch attendant who acted as a sort of butler; white gloves and all, you got served and taken care of by this guy. Pretty mindblowing for a young teacher in an internship.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

My Imaginary GF posted:

I'm goddamn proud we had a role in supporting patriotic Persians in overthrowing a populist hellbent on consolidating power through inappropriate, unsustainable, and worst of all, irrational policy implementation. Of course we had a role supporting representative opposition within Iran overthrow a populist hellbent on dictatorship, in securing Iran from their Chavez for the 50s.

And you know what? We'll do it again in Iran, we'll do it in a heartbeat in case the military ever wants to depose the Shah. Or at least, we would under a President who isn't so afraid of arms in the mideast that he'll only authorize airstrikes when a second Benghazi is threatened to imminently occur without them.
There is no Shah to overthrow anymore, you know that right

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Quidam Viator posted:

Well I'm glad I left the thread-

So were we

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JT Jag posted:

There is no Shah to overthrow anymore, you know that right

There's a populist dictator in Tehran, and he wants nukes. We can either bomb, stall in the hopes of coup'ing and bomb if that fails, or allow him to instigate a nuclear arms race throughout the region whilst his deathsquads roam around gently caress'n with our interests and his proxy groups keep on truck'n with their terrorist actions. Obama, just like with ISIL, is far too pacifist on mideast issues. We only started bombing ISIL in order to avoid Hillary having two Benghazis on her record; what makes you think Obama would overthrow the Ayatollah if presented with a golden opportunity to do so?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

We can either bomb, stall in the hopes of coup'ing and bomb if that fails, or allow him to instigate a nuclear arms race throughout the region

You forgot the third option, use an international agreement to halt the production of nuclear weapons, install international inspectors, and implement snap-back sanctions if Iran stops complying. But the false dichotomy makes for better rhetoric for conservatives on either side of the issue.

Also, the nuclear arms race was started in the Middle East when the West gave Israel nukes.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

OK, fine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Also, the nuclear arms race was started in the Middle East when the West gave Israel nukes.

Seriously, we had pretty much ALL the Middle Eastern powers signed onto a 'No Nukes' pledge but Israel kept twiddling their thumbs and ignoring the request. It doesn't help that Edward Teller, when he visited Israel and told them how to make them, asked them to swear to NEVER to sign a no-nuke agreement.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
I just want to point out that to Jeb's credit he does specifically mention the sun as another cause of power grid failure. A solar flare strong enough to destroy the power grid is absolutely a real concern. One passed incredibly close about 2 or 3 years ago. They've hit Earth before but we didn't have large scale electronic use so it's more a question of when than if.

And that will be the last time I ever point out anything to Jeb's credit. I need a shower now.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
MIGF I'm not convinced you actually know what "populist" means.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I don't know what's funnier, MIGF's trolling getting worse or more people falling for him than usual

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't know what's funnier, MIGF's trolling getting worse or more people falling for him than usual

The Rahm Emanuel schtick was at least mostly factual. Now he's just blatantly spouting bullshit.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CaptainCarrot posted:

The Rahm Emanuel schtick was at least mostly factual. Now he's just blatantly spouting bullshit.

And he can't even keep a persona for more than a couple days any more. It would be sad if it were ever anything but sad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Who What Now posted:

MIGF I'm not convinced you actually know what "populist" means.

What do you think populist means? :allears:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CaptainCarrot posted:

Rahm won, progressives lost. Move on, like the Feds have.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Stultus Maximus posted:

And he can't even keep a persona for more than a couple days any more. It would be sad if it were ever anything but sad.

Oh come on. He's had the "bomb Iran" persona going on for the past month or two.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Were there even worse republican trolls running amok in these threads before the 2008 election results? (when most of them got toxxd) I'd like to see some backlogs. :allears:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Oh come on. He's had the "bomb Iran" persona going on for the past month or two.

He's gone native, and now there's no going back.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
migf is like the white zombie song more jewish than jewish

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Grouchio posted:

Were there even worse republican trolls running amok in these threads before the 2008 election results? (when most of them got toxxd) I'd like to see some backlogs. :allears:

If by "Republican trolls" you mean honest idiots who thought Bush was unfairly maligned and McCain/Palin was a good idea, then yes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Grouchio posted:

They were at least actual Republicans but they all either Toxxed for Romney or got run out by LF or helldump

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

They were at least actual Republicans but they all either Toxxed for Romney or got run out by LF or helldump

The most notable were Arkane of House Huntsman (who claimed at one point to have made something like 200K USD betting on stuff like Romney and Obama getting nominated, I think you'd have to risk like a million bucks to win that much on those propositions), Arzy, and BoostedC5 who had his own poll unskewing sites. Although I don't think they were trolling, I think they were posting in earnest, they were just the rare persistent GOP posters. BoostedC5 did kind of get to the point of trolling at some point if I recall, he had the "rational conservative" thing going for a while but there was a time where he briefly was loudly broadcasting stupid talking points.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Zwabu posted:

The most notable were Arkane of House Huntsman (who claimed at one point to have made something like 200K USD betting on stuff like Romney and Obama getting nominated, I think you'd have to risk like a million bucks to win that much on those propositions), Arzy, and BoostedC5 who had his own poll unskewing sites. Although I don't think they were trolling, I think they were posting in earnest, they were just the rare persistent GOP posters. BoostedC5 did kind of get to the point of trolling at some point if I recall, he had the "rational conservative" thing going for a while but there was a time where he briefly was loudly broadcasting stupid talking points.

There was also Yinzer, who was so aggressively stupid he got a ton of double probations in the month leading up to the election. Others might remember him as Alexander Nevermind, who basically did what people think Amergin does: argued with D&D atheists, copy/pasted their responses to an orthodox forum, and then copy/pasted the replies from that forum to a thread until he got caught.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Miss. State Rep.says some racist poo poo. News at 11

quote:

State Rep. Gene Alday, R-Walls, publicly apologized Tuesday for controversial statements he made in a Clarion-Ledger article that had sparked outrage among legislators.

Addressing the House of Representatives, Alday acknowledged he made a mistake without repeating his original comments.

"I didn't do it with intent, but I am deeply sorry for my recent statements and I was wrong to say what I did and there is no excuse for my behavior," Alday said. "I value the relationships I've made with everyone in this House."

Lawmakers applauded after the less than one-minute apology.

The comments in question refer to African-Americans in his hometown of Walls, a small community in DeSoto County. Alday, 57, told Clarion-Ledger investigative reporter Jerry Mitchell that he comes "from a town where all the blacks are getting food stamps and what I call 'welfare crazy checks.' They don't work."

He also said that when he went to the emergency room one time, "I liked to died. I laid in there for hours because they (blacks) were in there being treated for gunshots."

Alday later said the statements, which were published Sunday, appeared out of context and didn't accurately portray his feelings. He denied being racist and said he has supported civil rights.

But Democratic and Republican lawmakers denounced the comments Monday and called on Alday to apologize.

Among them was state Rep. Robert Johnson, D-Natchez, who said Tuesday he appreciates his colleague's public show of remorse.

"It take every man at his word," Johnson said. "But I'm still interested in making sure the Legislature takes action. Mr. Alday just pulled the cover off what may be an undertone in policy decisions. We need to address that."

Alday left the chamber immediately after his apology.

Oh, it was out of context? Please, provide the context in which this isn't incredibly racist. I'll wait. :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blunt for century posted:

Miss. State Rep.says some racist poo poo. News at 11

Oh, it was out of context? Please, provide the context in which this isn't incredibly racist. I'll wait. :allears:
The context is that he was a Mississippi state representative, I think.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Any time someone claims a damaging statement was made out of context it should be pro forma for them to explain the context.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Zwabu posted:

I'm pretty sure BoostedC5 is still here as poster Chris Christie. He was pretty tolerable even if he still held alot of the dumb Republican views but at least he was polite and didn't appear to be aggressively bigoted. The others got wiped out by the Romney tox thread (which hilariously took out alot of liberals as well who couldn't resist the honeypot). But if you go back to pre-2008 it was way more right wing in here. I think the financial explosion in 2007-8 is what woke alot of people, that plus the great LF exodus/migration and everyone getting swept in Obamamania thinking he was going to be some sort of progressive messiah.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Any time someone claims a damaging statement was made out of context it should be pro forma for them to explain the context.

The context was he was saying it to other people who are also racist and wouldn't get upset with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Axetrain posted:

I'm pretty sure BoostedC5 is still here as poster Chris Christie. He was pretty tolerable even if he still held alot of the dumb Republican views but at least he was polite and didn't appear to be aggressively bigoted. The others got wiped out by the Romney tox thread (which hilariously took out alot of liberals as well who couldn't resist the honeypot). But if you go back to pre-2008 it was way more right wing in here. I think the financial explosion in 2007-8 is what woke alot of people, that plus the great LF exodus/migration and everyone getting swept in Obamamania thinking he was going to be some sort of progressive messiah.

Also, a lot of people got swept up in RONPAUL RONPAUL RONPAUL and LF started relentlessly mocking them.

• Locked thread