Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

isndl posted:

Not to mention if the update triggered while he was low on battery it might fail partway through. Doesn't pretty much every tablet/phone update require you to be plugged in these days?

I am almost positive the update will refuse to run unless you're charged sufficiently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My wife's S4 finally got lollipop but it's taking 8 hours to download on 50 Mb/s wifi. Knowing her I'll get up in the morning to find a cancelled update.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Cithen posted:

I use this Choe Qi Charger for my Nexus 7 and it does a solid job. It's small and compact and less than $30.

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Char...ireless+charger

Do you know if this works with a lower-output wall wart (e.g. from the Nexus 4)? Also, while that looks like it'll work fine, does anyone have any recommendations without an indicator light? My wife's super picky about light in the bedroom. I could of course tape over it if the Choe's the best bang for the buck.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

What is "modalert.html"? I woke up to a notification that it downloaded itself to my phone at 2 AM last night and I have no idea what it is. Google doesn't help. App info has the Android logo and describes it as a download manager with access to pretty much everything (contacts, storage, etc.) but I'm still a little wary because I'm paranoid about stuff like that.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hazo posted:

What is "modalert.html"? I woke up to a notification that it downloaded itself to my phone at 2 AM last night and I have no idea what it is. Google doesn't help. App info has the Android logo and describes it as a download manager with access to pretty much everything (contacts, storage, etc.) but I'm still a little wary because I'm paranoid about stuff like that.

Post a screencap?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Are any of the following true?
- you are rooted
- you have a custom ROM
- you allow installation of non play store apps
- you have pirated apps
- you consciously choose to not be on the latest version of your os and/or google play services/android webview

edit: please still answer my question but a quick google shows you're hosed.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 19, 2015

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Post a screencap?

When you take the SS, remember to edit out any non-standard ui choices, or you'll trigger the resident spergs.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

kitten smoothie posted:

Post a screencap?
How do I get back to App Info? The first time I just held down on it on the download notification screen and selected App Info. I searched my phone and found the file but the only options on hold are now Delete/Share/Move/Copy/Rename/Details (Details just gives name/size/last modified).

The location is /storage/emulated/0/Download/modalert.html

RZA Encryption posted:

Are any of the following true?
- you are rooted
- you have a custom ROM
- you allow installation of non play store apps
- you have pirated apps
- you consciously choose to not be on the latest version of your os and/or google play services/android webview

No to all of the above. As I said I'm paranoid about my phone security.

edit: Just thought of something. I was reading archived threads on my phone as I fell asleep (can't remember if it was on Chrome or Awful app)-- is there a chance I accidentally saved the Report link?

Hazo fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 19, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hazo posted:

How do I get back to App Info? The first time I just held down on it on the download notification screen and selected App Info.

Settings > Apps, swipe over to All and you'll get back to where you were.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

LastInLine posted:

Settings > Apps, swipe over to All and you'll get back to where you were.
Nothing there.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You just downloaded a web page called modalert.html

It wasn't an app install

RZA Encryption posted:

That just shows a bunch of pages that have a modalert.html in it somewhere. You'd get the same results without the spyware bit

E: and when you got the info on it, you were probably just looking at the download manager app info page

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 19, 2015

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Skarsnik posted:

You just downloaded a web page called modalert.html

It wasn't an app install

That just shows a bunch of pages that have a modalert.html in it somewhere. You'd get the same results without the spyware bit

E: and when you got the info on it, you were probably just looking at the download manager app info page
I think this is exactly what happened. I just tried saving the SA report link in the Chrome browser and got the same result. And yeah, I must have been kicked to the page for the Download Manager app when I requested info on the download, which threw me off. Must've just thumbed over it by accident as I was nodding off last night. Thanks guys! Sorry for the false alarm.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Well that's a much simpler and much better explanation. I feel like you'd have to actively try to get mobile spyware.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Starting to understand the hate for lollipop now. Among other things, my wife's google messenger can send messages but not receive, and when it sends it says it did not send. Nothing I can find as a "solution" has worked so far.

edit: wiping cache partition and reinstalling messenger seemed to fix it.

edit 2: now it works really well and smoothly. So I'm going back to not understanding the hate.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 19, 2015

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Strange thing happende to my Note 4 - the dialer icon on the lock screen disappeared after I had to factory reset the phone.

Any way to get it back again? Or should I just download Hi Locker and call it a day?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

edit: wiping cache partition and reinstalling messenger seemed to fix it.

edit 2: now it works really well and smoothly. So I'm going back to not understanding the hate.

KitKat worked. Out of the box, no need to computer janitor your phone with wiping partitions and monitoring memory usage...

The features of Lollipop are great, but the OS is still half-baked.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The only thing wrong with Lollipop is the terrible volume system. It's just ill-conceived. Other than that, it looks and works well. Looking at KitKat after living with Lollipop evokes that same "Holy poo poo, this is ugly as gently caress" feeling that Gingerbread did post-Ice Cream Sandwich.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Note 3 (Verizon) user chiming in to say that I'm really happy with Lollipop since I updated couple of days ago. I took my time with backups and did a factory reset and formatted the external memory. Afterward, I manually selected what apps to reinstall from Play Store. Went back to Nova Launcher and restored its settings as soon as I had all the old apps and icon packs reinstalled. So far, so good.

Battery life was already becoming an issue before the new OS and still seems to be an issue, so Battery Doctor is in use for now.

I would still be in the process of getting the phone the way I like it if I did all that on wifi, so I used the Verizon Rewards +1 GB data offer, too.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Some evil person gave my grandpa a galaxy s3 and convinced him to use it instead of his flip phone. I had to set it up for him tonight, Jesus loving Christ I hate Samsung. There were so many apps that were just completely useless, and that's not counting carrier apps or bundled ones. The settings menu is completely disorganized and there were literally three pages of "quick access settings" in the pull down menu.

I was against Samsung before, but I'm now actually offended anyone ever gives them money. May they die in a sea of lawsuits.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Arriviste posted:

Note 3 (Verizon) user chiming in to say that I'm really happy with Lollipop since I updated couple of days ago. I took my time with backups and did a factory reset and formatted the external memory. Afterward, I manually selected what apps to reinstall from Play Store. Went back to Nova Launcher and restored its settings as soon as I had all the old apps and icon packs reinstalled. So far, so good.

Battery life was already becoming an issue before the new OS and still seems to be an issue, so Battery Doctor is in use for now.

I would still be in the process of getting the phone the way I like it if I did all that on wifi, so I used the Verizon Rewards +1 GB data offer, too.

Your Note 3 should not be having battery life issues, something must be excessively draining the battery.

That said, I'm pretty happy with Lollipop so far. I only played around with it on the Note 3 for a little bit but it seems pretty solid. Not much of a difference on the 4 since it's Touchwiz was already pretty Lollipop-ish on 4.4, but the native 5.0 lock screen notifications and animations are certainly better than the 5.0-ish ones we had on 4.4. Haven't run into any bugs so far and thankfully Samsung once again ignored Google's retarded changes to the volume controls so that's not an issue either.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Desk Lamp posted:

Your Note 3 should not be having battery life issues, something must be excessively draining the battery.

Aye. I have Tasker and Gleeo Automagic running almost constantly with GPS enabled. I do multiple freelance gigs and am bad about logging time, so I use location-, and/or network-, and/or time-of-day-based flows to keep track. Eventually, I'm going to streamline the process with ubiquitous NFC tags at routine locations and/or on my gear.

I made a pen mod stylus, so I have the stylus mode set to always on so the built-in one stays in the phone but still allows me to use my other. Twilight app keeps me sane, but I suspect it's another battery thief, too.

Not a Facebook user, but I probably have some other apps here and there (I'm looking at you, Awful) which are sapping precious juice, too. I carry a Motorola Power Pack, just in case.

e: grammar and syntax

Arriviste fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 20, 2015

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Arriviste posted:

Aye. I have Tasker and Gleeo Automagic running almost constantly with GPS enabled. I do multiple freelance gigs and am bad about logging time, so I use location-, and/or network-, and/or time of day-based flows to keep track. Eventually, I'm going to streamline the process with ubiquitous NFC tags at routine locations and/or on my gear.

I made a pen mod stylus, so I have the stylus mode set to always on so the built-in one stays in the phone but still allows me to use my other. Twilight app keeps me sane, but I suspect it's another battery thief, too.

Not a Facebook user, but I probably have some other apps here and there (I'm looking at you, Awful) which are sapping precious juice, too. I carry a Motorola Power Pack, just in case.

e: grammar

I think Tasker alone with GPS always on will murder your battery right good

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Arriviste posted:

Aye. I have Tasker and Gleeo Automagic running almost constantly with GPS enabled. I do multiple freelance gigs and am bad about logging time, so I use location-, and/or network-, and/or time-of-day-based flows to keep track. Eventually, I'm going to streamline the process with ubiquitous NFC tags at routine locations and/or on my gear.

e: grammar and syntax

Haha with that kind of usage I'd say whatever battery life you're getting is fantastic.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Holy crap this USB port has died quickly. I've had a hard time keeping my phone above 30% most of the day. I wish I knew someone with a Qi pad I could borrow until mine gets here mid-week.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RZA Encryption posted:

Some evil person gave my grandpa a galaxy s3 and convinced him to use it instead of his flip phone. I had to set it up for him tonight, Jesus loving Christ I hate Samsung. There were so many apps that were just completely useless, and that's not counting carrier apps or bundled ones. The settings menu is completely disorganized and there were literally three pages of "quick access settings" in the pull down menu.

I was against Samsung before, but I'm now actually offended anyone ever gives them money. May they die in a sea of lawsuits.

Root and install CM :v:

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I've got a Nexus 4 that's failing, randomly shuts down, people can't hear me when I use my head + shoulder to hold the phone. Looking for an inexpensive replacement, so the 1st gen Moto G 4G is what I had my eye on. But some people were suggesting the Moto X 2013. There's one on swappa that's listed as new for $260. Is the Moto X 2013 worth $60 more than a Moto G 4G?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ugh, since updating to Lollipop (Note 3), the Gallery app doesn't show any pictures or albums anymore. The On Device folder in the Photos app only shows a picture I took today. There are definitely images on my phone (and they're auto-backupped anyway), any ideas how I'm gonna get back the old functionality (or at least dump the local images into the On Device folder) so I can share funny cat pictures with the world?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Why do they need to be in 'On device' to share?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Harmburger posted:

I've got a Nexus 4 that's failing, randomly shuts down, people can't hear me when I use my head + shoulder to hold the phone.

Perhaps you have dandruff blocking the microphone?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

dissss posted:

Why do they need to be in 'On device' to share?

Because else they don't show up in the list of images when you try to share from an app.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444277223"]
Perhaps you have dandruff blocking the microphone?

:pusheen:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Arriviste posted:

Note 3 Lollipop seems to have a problem with unified daemon constantly using GPS. Try to disable it in App settings. The default weather widget on Lock screen and S View cover will probably stop working but the battery will live longer and the homescreen widget will work. There are reports that newer versions of Firmware fix that so wait for an OTA.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Cultural Imperial posted:

The latest Facebook app features the ability to turn off notifications. This and hibernating with greenify seems to be jacking up my battery life hardcore.

Does jacking up not mean the same as "loving up"? Do you mean to express a positive change?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Harmburger posted:

I've got a Nexus 4 that's failing, randomly shuts down, people can't hear me when I use my head + shoulder to hold the phone. Looking for an inexpensive replacement, so the 1st gen Moto G 4G is what I had my eye on. But some people were suggesting the Moto X 2013. There's one on swappa that's listed as new for $260. Is the Moto X 2013 worth $60 more than a Moto G 4G?

Unless the 4G variant of the G comes with 2GB of RAM, go with the Moto X. A thousand times this. I bought a 2013 Moto G (non-4G) about a month ago, and though through the upgrades from 5.0-5.01-5.1, the memory usage got better, 1GB just wasn't enough for me. Things kept getting kicked out of memory, even while they were active.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Sony Z4 announced. Smaller battery, Snapdragon 810, 32GB base, capless MicroUSB, no magnetic charging and no Qi. This one may be a pass in the end... maybe I'll just move up to the Z3 on the cheap and get the Qi case.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...gnature-design/

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.
Since upgrading to lollipop and apps have gained the ability to change the colour of the notification bar, all of the google ones work correctly but a whole bunch of other apps change it to a horrific neon blue, I imagine because they're not updated. How can I change the default colour back to black?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Harmburger posted:

Yes, the 2013 Moto X is worth $60 more than a 2013 Moto G 4G without question.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

MikusR posted:

Note 3 Lollipop seems to have a problem with unified daemon constantly using GPS. Try to disable it in App settings. The default weather widget on Lock screen and S View cover will probably stop working but the battery will live longer and the homescreen widget will work. There are reports that newer versions of Firmware fix that so wait for an OTA.

I disabled it a day or two before my OTA update rolled around (after researching battery drain issues) and I haven't thoroughly gone through the current system apps since then to kill known offenders other than obvious bloatware. I don't use the stock weather widget, S View cover, or stock camera (UD also does "Tag Buddy"), so I haven't spotted it in my location requests lately. Just killed it anyway. Thanks for reminding me about that "feature" with Unified Daemon.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Sony Z4 announced. Smaller battery, Snapdragon 810, 32GB base, capless MicroUSB, no magnetic charging and no Qi. This one may be a pass in the end... maybe I'll just move up to the Z3 on the cheap and get the Qi case.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...gnature-design/

Wow, talk about a letdown. I just picked up a Z3 so I'm glad I won't be regretting not waiting for the Z4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

dphi posted:

Wow, talk about a letdown. I just picked up a Z3 so I'm glad I won't be regretting not waiting for the Z4.

Yes, I'm even now considering moving out of Sony the more I think about it. Unless there are any other major flagships on the horizon I'm exploring the Droid Turbo but am concerned that 32GB wouldn't be enough. How is the Turbo camera? Looks like the most solid option without going to the N6 or Note4. 99% sure it'll work just fine on Cricket's AT&T Towers also.