Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Aliquid posted:

There are really too many people scrambling for Gen-X votes. There's much less competition for boomers in the GOP primary and I'm confused by it.

Boomers are now olds and everyone reflexively panders to olds to the point where you don't see it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Aliquid posted:

There are really too many people scrambling for Gen-X votes. There's much less competition for boomers in the GOP primary and I'm confused by it.

I don't think bringing up you ran Gateway is a great way to reach the Gen X cohort.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ted Cruz spoke at their convocation

Jeb Bush is now going to be Liberty Universities Commencement speaker

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/jeb-bush-speak-graduation-liberty-university-116999.html

quote:

Liberty President Jerry Falwell Jr. said in a statement. “Throughout his years of public service, Gov. Bush has been a champion for excellence in education and so many other issues of vital importance to our university community.”

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 19, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Ted Cruz spoke at their convocation

Jeb Bush is now going to be Liberty Universities Commencement speaker

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/jeb-bush-speak-graduation-liberty-university-116999.html

Hopefully it's a ton of rand paul 2016 t shirts at that event too

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't think bringing up you ran Gateway is a great way to reach the Gen X cohort.

I don't think we can really blame him for the Gateway Destination HTPC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4WTJGBAfGA

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Nice knowing you, Marco! It was fun while it lasted.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Speaking of which I saw Ana Navarro on ABC this morning talking about how there were candidates backing immigration reform; of course she didn't mention how Rubio was forced to drop it after he ran into screeching Tea Party vitriol.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

So what exactly is his success story in Michigan? They finally got back to only losing enough people moving out of state looking for work to match the rate of natural increase?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

comes along bort posted:

So what exactly is his success story in Michigan? They finally got back to only losing enough people moving out of state looking for work to match the rate of natural increase?

"Michigan has managed to resist turning into Mad Max with snow despite my best efforts"
- Rick Snyder, 2015

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

I don't understand what "anti-genetics credibility" means in this context. Or any context.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Solid Poopsnake posted:

I don't understand what "anti-genetics credibility" means in this context. Or any context.

Took me a minute. He means "it grants credibility to the anti-genetic-science belief that sexual orientation is comparable in its predestination to race".

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

This makes no sense. It's like a right wing markov chain

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ZeeToo posted:

Took me a minute. He means "it grants credibility to the anti-genetic-science belief that sexual orientation is comparable in its predestination to race".

Yeah, no, it still doesn't make any sense as far as I can see.. but that's okay. I don't need it to make sense.

I think it's the addition of the "anti" that makes it completely nonsensical.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

:lol:

What the gently caress will he run on? All he has done to Michigan is run it into the ground. Oh, and Obamacare. He's a Republican governor who allowed the Medicaid expansion.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Solid Poopsnake posted:

In the context of the quote I think he's saying that it makes anti-discrimination arguments stronger because it draws a clear comparison between race and sexuality. In other words, if being gay is genetic then it follows that it should be a protected class like race is, and all the "religious freedom" acts lose their teeth.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

:lol:

What the gently caress will he run on? All he has done to Michigan is run it into the ground. Oh, and Obamacare. He's a Republican governor who allowed the Medicaid expansion.

So he's basically a richer Scott Walker who doesn't look like a mouth breather, with one bit of "bipartisan" cred.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
IIRC he promised not to implement RTW in the 2010 election and got endorsed by the Teamsters, but after the 2012 election the Kochs demanded he do it and he caved.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I think he's claiming that Rubio's comments are making race comparable to sexuality, in that it's something you are born with.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The X-man cometh posted:

So he's basically a richer Scott Walker who doesn't look like a mouth breather, with one bit of "bipartisan" cred.

If Kasich runs, he'll be able to much more eloquently his decision to accept the expansion, negating that advantage. That's the only difference I see between Snyder and Walker. Maybe the ability to self-fund a little longer.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I feel like the Detroit bankruptcy thing would be a real difference. I am just not sure if it comes out as a positive or a negative. In reality its unlikely that either will run so the world will never know.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Axetrain posted:

I think he's claiming that Rubio's comments are making race comparable to sexuality, in that it's something you are born with.

Yes I think that's exactly his message, but where does the "anti genetics" thing make any sense?

On second thought, never mind...

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

The first to fall, sadly if he said this about 1/2 through the primary if it wasn't decided he'd have a chance.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

IIRC he promised not to implement RTW in the 2010 election and got endorsed by the Teamsters, but after the 2012 election the Kochs demanded he do it and he caved.

Yep, lied about that, lied about Detroit never going into bankruptcy or getting an emergency manager. You never hear about Richard Baird anymore but in his first term as CEO of Michigan this guy was on a secret payroll, yet had an office at the capital next door to Snyder's. Snyder was telling the press Detroit wasn't getting an EM while Baird was busy vetting Kevyn Orr at the same time.

Nintendo Kid posted:

"Michigan has managed to resist turning into Mad Max with snow despite my best efforts"
- Rick Snyder, 2015

The correct movie analogy for Rick Snyder is Robocop. :colbert:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 20, 2015

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Yes I think that's exactly his message, but where does the "anti genetics" thing make any sense?

Could he maybe be misspelling "epigenetic"? Like I'm not sure how that would help his case but they sound kinda similar, maybe it was just a word he heard...

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think what he would say if he had the smarts is "the view that you can be born gay is contrary to genetic science."

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

SedanChair posted:

I think what he would say if he had the smarts is "the view that you can be born gay is contrary to genetic science."

Maybe its an epigenetic kinda thing? One part nature, and one part nurture, enough so that you could engineer your children to be born straight? Like, I'd be all for healthcare coverage being made to cover genetic engineering of sexuality in fetuses

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Zwabu posted:

There's a pretty strong folk-science belief in the evangelical community that says, "you can't be born gay, because that means it's genetic, which means it's inherited, gay people can't have children, and any inherited trait that stops people from having their own kids would die off in a single generation. Therefore, being gay must be a choice and anyone who says they were 'born this way' is lying."

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Fear and Loathing in the Granite State

quote:

It's going to be a shitshow

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Maybe its an epigenetic kinda thing? One part nature, and one part nurture, enough so that you could engineer your children to be born straight? Like, I'd be all for healthcare coverage being made to cover genetic engineering of sexuality in fetuses

I think Proverbs 13:24 is all the engineering he is thinking about.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

There's a pretty strong folk-science belief in the evangelical community that says, "you can't be born gay, because that means it's genetic, which means it's inherited, gay people can't have children, and any inherited trait that stops people from having their own kids would die off in a single generation. Therefore, being gay must be a choice and anyone who says they were 'born this way' is lying."

They aren't wrong.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Of course they are wrong. Genetics isn't everything. There are oodles of hormones in the womb for instance that may affect things like sexual orientation.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Meg From Family Guy posted:

They aren't wrong.

They are wrong, unless you also don't believe in red hair.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Meg From Family Guy posted:

They aren't wrong.

Sickle-cell anemia is a horrible condition that kills most people who have it. Funny thing is, if the gene that codes for sickle cell anemia is present on only one chromosome and not two, it confers an immunity to malaria. Thus, you have a situation where people will be born with a fatal genetic conditon that nonetheless provides a net benefit to the larger population.

Also closeted people have been having kids for hundreds if not thousands of years, so if you want to lay the blame somewhere, lay it on people who force gay people to marry the opposite gender and reproduce.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Of course they are wrong. Genetics isn't everything. There are oodles of hormones in the womb for instance that may affect things like sexual orientation.
Yet another way in which they are wrong: Gay uncles/aunts could probably help substantially in childrearing, as gayness does not affect ability to hunt, gather, knap stone, etc. While obviously you require straights around to some extent, if my gay rear end helps three siblings, I'm coming out ahead of things genetically.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

mooyashi posted:

Purple and Yellow is a bold color combination

Rand Paul: Bold and Gold Leadership

I am down for these United Saints of America.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The portrait needs to be him :sax: on arsenio hall's show,

Make your own! The best kind of crime there is!

http://thebeautifulist.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/cartoon-on-bill5.jpg

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
why is ted cruzs the american flag on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

Yeah, okay, THIS I get. But the choice of words implied that there is actual hard data, conclusive scientific proof of this position when I'm pretty sure what data there is supports the opposite conclusion (such as twin studies showing highly increased probability of twins both being gay even when raised in different environments etc.), rather than the "folk science" idea that it's self evident just because.

I remember reading a book by the biologist E.O. Wilson that had an opposite theory of this in it. If the genes that result in homosexuality are also associated with other traits leading to creativity, achievement etc. that lead to relatively high social standing among those carrying them, like being a religious shaman or an executive producer of a movie company, then a reproductive advantage would fall on their family and close relatives, thus resulting in increased evolutionary fitness for those genes. It's plausible in the context of societies, just like how the ability to form and use language should confer a massive evolutionary fitness advantage in the context of a society of organisms, but wouldn't be of obvious benefit when considering a single (primitive, hunting) creature.

• Locked thread