Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Phone posted:

Alright, cool. I know that SSD performance degrades significantly when over half of the space is being used.

Does the video card seem like it'll be able to push 50fps at 1920x1200 with everything turned up?
I dunno, I have the same card as you but I havent pushed the settings up much because Im pretty happy with the way the game looks. I dont think you'll be disappointed.

Sir Pukesalot posted:

60,6 GB (65.078.439.936 byte) for the game itself and 9,00 GB (9.671.815.168 byte) for other rockstar files.
Oops. What folder is all that extra stuff in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Cage posted:

I dunno, I have the same card as you but I havent pushed the settings up much because Im pretty happy with the way the game looks. I dont think you'll be disappointed.

Oops. What folder is all that extra stuff in?

Documents > Rockstar Games

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Phone posted:

Nerds with GTA5 for PC: I only have like 100GB free on my SSD; how boned am I? Also I have an Ivy Bridge i5, 8GB of DD3, and a HD7950.

I could buy a 480GB SSD to replace the 240GB one I have, but I don't feel like spending $300 to play a video game right now.

Ive got a 7850 card, but only a 5 year old core 2 quad with 6GB RAM and have the game running from a SATA disk.

It looks very pretty on the default settings it detected (which seems to have a lot of 'high's in).. but is getting occasional slowdowns when there is a lot going on (Its pretty much always when i turn a corner and some oncoming traffic gets in my way). Its still totally playable (i've only got a couple of hours into it so far), but it definitely seems like time for a new cpu/mobo...

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Sir Pukesalot posted:

Documents > Rockstar Games
3.89mb. Maybe you have some video clips?

Sir Pukesalot
Nov 3, 2012

Cage posted:

3.89mb. Maybe you have some video clips?

Yeah, didn't think about that, now mine is down to 20 mb.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

As an aside from the shitshow going on in the post your ride thread, I made like the poor I am and bought some literal garbage on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Dig-Cartridges-Missile-Command-8545-/301592716981?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463853a6b5

In the '80s, Atari crashed as a company and there was a legend about the company burying millions of ET cartridges in the desert. A group got together and cleared permits and permissions to dig up part of a New Mexico landfill last year and they actually found the burial site and recovered the cartridges that had been buried for 30 years. Having one of those is a great nerd souvenir right there!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Plate 2 of the 3D printable 3D printer. Just one more plate to go.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

meatpimp posted:

As an aside from the shitshow going on in the post your ride thread, I made like the poor I am and bought some literal garbage on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-Dig-Cartridges-Missile-Command-8545-/301592716981?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463853a6b5

In the '80s, Atari crashed as a company and there was a legend about the company burying millions of ET cartridges in the desert. A group got together and cleared permits and permissions to dig up part of a New Mexico landfill last year and they actually found the burial site and recovered the cartridges that had been buried for 30 years. Having one of those is a great nerd souvenir right there!

I just happened to catch part of a documentary on this event a couple days ago actually, although I forget which channel it was on. It featured a series of interviews with the guy who programmed the E.T. game that was widely (if undeservedly) blamed by many for speeding the company's demise (he came off as kind of a jackass, honestly), interviews with many other people who were in the industry / working at Atari at the time, and video footage from the actual dig itself. Apparently some local (and some not local) super nerds caught wind of what they were doing, and made a pilgrimage out there to witness it. The crowd looked exactly like what you'd imagine.

e: IN case anyone wants to watch it, it was called Atari: Game Over
Part 1
Part 2

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 19, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

CommieGIR posted:

Plate 2 of the 3D printable 3D printer. Just one more plate to go.

This is awesome!

How much for a set of parts?
What's it called so I can look it up?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Black88GTA posted:

I just happened to catch part of a documentary on this event a couple days ago actually, although I forget which channel it was on. It featured a series of interviews with the guy who programmed the E.T. game that was widely (if undeservedly) blamed by many for speeding the company's demise (he came off as kind of a jackass, honestly), interviews with many other people who were in the industry / working at Atari at the time, and video footage from the actual dig itself. Apparently some local (and some not local) super nerds caught wind of what they were doing, and made a pilgrimage out there to witness it. The crowd looked exactly like what you'd imagine.

e: IN case anyone wants to watch it, it was called Atari: Game Over
Part 1
Part 2

Thanks, I meant to mention the documentary, but forgot. It's also on Netflix. Worth the watch.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

This is awesome!

How much for a set of parts?
What's it called so I can look it up?

http://reprap.org/wiki/Rostock

If you print the parts yourself, it'll take about 1 spool of .9kg filament, maybe a little less considering I significantly drained mine by printing Endurance from Interstellar beforehand.

Electronics are cheap, and you just need some hardware.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Commie, if I'm ever in need, could I bother you to use your printer for beer/cost/whatever you deem fit?

Also, SoWo is less than a month away! Made plans to attend yet?

Also, also, the mitty is this weekend. I have to work saturday so I didn't pay for the BMWCCA corral but I'll be there sunday. If you're in the Southeast and love RoadATL or you've never been there, check it out, looks like its gonna be great fun!
http://www.roadatlanta.com/the-mitty

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Why. WHY did I read the post your ride thread. Someone move it to GBS, that's where it belongs now.

On the other hand last week I gave up ALL bottled drinks and went with water. Holy gently caress me sideways, I never expected my body to react this fast or for as long. Okay yeah I also cleaned up the diet but the act of removing even diet soft drinks was obvious. The rather nasty headaches went for a couple of days, I'm less hungry (WTF) and also more suseptible to bonking while riding like I do - plus a few other things like making GBS threads is easier. Sure diet drinks have plenty of artificial crap and fruit drinks a godawful load of free sugar without the fibre content but honestly did not expect to be feeling the lingering effects of withdrawal for a week and bit.

Usually when I drop diet soft drinks etc I usually replace with something else like fruit juice, get a day of bitchy mood and a headache, clear afterwards. So this is the first time I've just gone with water only and I am really WTF what is going on. It's not like I drink crates of the poo poo either.

What the HELL do they put in soft drinks anyway??!?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
According to the coke I'm chasing my bourbon with right now,
code:
high fructose corn syrup
and
phosphoric acid
Disclaimer: I'm sure this is colossal bullshit and they put way more awful stuff in it than that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Commie, if I'm ever in need, could I bother you to use your printer for beer/cost/whatever you deem fit?

Also, SoWo is less than a month away! Made plans to attend yet?

Also, also, the mitty is this weekend. I have to work saturday so I didn't pay for the BMWCCA corral but I'll be there sunday. If you're in the Southeast and love RoadATL or you've never been there, check it out, looks like its gonna be great fun!
http://www.roadatlanta.com/the-mitty

Gladly! If you need something printed, shoot me an email.

And yes, I will be attending SoWo, don't know how long I'll stay, but the Audi 90 will be there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

Caffeine, that's why you have headaches. When I quit drinking Mountain Dew I had horrible headaches so I just started drinking coffee for the caffeine fix. No more headaches.

All I drink now is water, maybe one or two cups of coffee a day and the occasional watered down iced tea.

Every once in a great while I treat myself to a Mountain Dew and I savor it like it came from the teat of a unicorn.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

leica posted:

Caffeine, that's why you have headaches. When I quit drinking Mountain Dew I had horrible headaches so I just started drinking coffee for the caffeine fix. No more headaches.

I'm aware of that - I should have added I've added a cup of tea in the middle of the day to specially deal with that, not the first time I've dropped "diet" drinks before. There cant be that much caffeine to replace tho - and Lord knows what else is added in bottled / canned drinks.

Usually I'm a bit half assed with the cleaning up of what I drink, this is the first time in decades I've gone completely water (okay yes and proper hot tea, altho not much of that at all) and it's quite different. TBH it's convinced me to make the effort and just stick with the H2O.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm aware of that - I should have added I've added a cup of tea in the middle of the day to specially deal with that, not the first time I've dropped "diet" drinks before. There cant be that much caffeine to replace tho - and Lord knows what else is added in bottled / canned drinks.

Usually I'm a bit half assed with the cleaning up of what I drink, this is the first time in decades I've gone completely water (okay yes and proper hot tea, altho not much of that at all) and it's quite different. TBH it's convinced me to make the effort and just stick with the H2O.

I drink Full Throttle Energy drinks. Not really for the energy, but because the caffeine lets me treat my ADHD without massive doses of Ritalin or other associated management drugs. I've done way better since switching to this setup, and its just as well because I tend to over-sugar/cream my coffee anyways.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Raluek posted:

The thing that is most done (since, as was said, you only need one pair) is to connect the blue pair to the center two pins of the 6p4c. If you only have one line, that is all that matters. Basically, look at TIA-568 (both A and B are the same in this instance) and hook up only the blue wires.

For reference, we have Uverse. The wiring in the house is 1982.

For reference, here's what I am dealing with:

So discard everything and only use the blues? I think I'm going to get a tech out to the house and have them rewire everything.

honkykong
Sep 20, 2005

OK, I know I'm posting in the wrong thread but I'm too excited. Before now my newest nicest car I've ever owned was a 96' crapalier coupe. Also that is what I blame my long time lurking/minimal posting on, too ashamed of the shitpile. I just drove home a '12 Focus HB Titanium with 33,333 miles on it.

Yell at me, make fun of me, whatever I don't care. This is awesome to car deprived me.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing to be ashamed of, thats a sweet ride

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I really love the new Focus hatchbacks, they look really nice. Congrats dude

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Changed the oilpan today.

gently caress VW for making the sides of the block aluminum, which also have the most difficult to access bolts for the oil pan. I'd gladly take the extra weight so bits of aluminum don't come out when you finally get the semi stripped bolt off.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Cat Terrist posted:

Why. WHY did I read the post your ride thread. Someone move it to GBS, that's where it belongs now.

On the other hand last week I gave up ALL bottled drinks and went with water. Holy gently caress me sideways, I never expected my body to react this fast or for as long. Okay yeah I also cleaned up the diet but the act of removing even diet soft drinks was obvious. The rather nasty headaches went for a couple of days, I'm less hungry (WTF) and also more suseptible to bonking while riding like I do - plus a few other things like making GBS threads is easier. Sure diet drinks have plenty of artificial crap and fruit drinks a godawful load of free sugar without the fibre content but honestly did not expect to be feeling the lingering effects of withdrawal for a week and bit.

Usually when I drop diet soft drinks etc I usually replace with something else like fruit juice, get a day of bitchy mood and a headache, clear afterwards. So this is the first time I've just gone with water only and I am really WTF what is going on. It's not like I drink crates of the poo poo either.

I go through two 24 packs of coke zero a week. I think if I tried to just quit caffeine completely I would lose my mind.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Grats, honky!

Glad to hear it commie. I'm bringing some 2.7tt buddies who would love to chat with you. Shoot me a text at 770.561.0020 so we can get together and chill. We'll have an rv at unicoi state park about 15 minutes north of Helen if you'd like to stop by/crash. Keg choice TBD.

The e30 might be getting the ghettolicious primed/sanded but not painted-sorta imola -iS valance installed for the gently caress of it before I take it up there. We'll see how the RV and e30 cooling system repairs go.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I drink Full Throttle Energy drinks. Not really for the energy, but because the caffeine lets me treat my ADHD without massive doses of Ritalin or other associated management drugs. I've done way better since switching to this setup, and its just as well because I tend to over-sugar/cream my coffee anyways.

But don't those things have massive amounts of sugar in them? The reason I like coffee is I can at least control the amount of sugar, and the amount I need to get it to my liking is still ten times less than what's in a soda or energy drink. Plus the better quality of coffee, the less sugar is needed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

But don't those things have massive amounts of sugar in them? The reason I like coffee is I can at least control the amount of sugar, and the amount I need to get it to my liking is still ten times less than what's in a soda or energy drink. Plus the better quality of coffee, the less sugar is needed.

I like sugary things :shrug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Gotcha. My deal was getting the caffeine in my body with the least amount of sugar or artificial sweetener possible, and coffee is the most efficient vehicle for me.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I really hate networking.

I have three computers. One is like a server box, another is a htpc and the last is my main computer. I can connect to my server box from my main computer via UPNP but not the from the htpc. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. My server and htpc are both running Linux. I'm guessing it's some sort of firewall issue on my htpc but I have no idea what. I don't even think it's running a firewall.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

blk
Dec 19, 2009
My landlord tossed me the keys to his M100 Elan tonight and we took it out through some twisties - anyone who poopoos this car because it's FWD should really drive it before judging. Zero torque steer, zero understeer, insane amount of grip and stability - I was going through corners much faster than I had any right to and certainly faster than the Miata. So. Much. Fun.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I go through two 24 packs of coke zero a week. I think if I tried to just quit caffeine completely I would lose my mind.

The caffeine might be the least of your problems with "diet" drinks, with Lord knows what else is in them. At least with caffeine you can easily replace it.

While I'm making it out that coming off a lovely regime with drinks isnt brilliant, the positives are also just as fast to become clear, just I want to make sure they are real and not just fluctuations. I know quite drat well fad diets are awful for weightloss but getting rid of anything but water (and your caffeine repalcement) is proven to be really good for you, just rather surprised it's this positive this fast.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Something every IT guy has said at some point: loving PRINTERS. And I'm not an IT guy.

I own the laser printer in the house, but rarely use it. Parents use it plenty. They just now told me it hasn't worked in a week. I walk over, standby light is on, I tap the power button, it warms up and the wifi light is on.I do the usual power cycle, it comes back on, but the wireless light is flashing for several seconds after it comes back on before going solid. It does some version of this anytime we have a storm (usually it either loses all settings, or just stops talking to the router). I checked the router, it wasn't even trying to pull an IP (it's on DHCP, with each PC set to use it via hostname).

Plugged my laptop into it, fired up the wireless setup utility, and it had all the right settings, and the right WPA2 key. As soon as I clicked finish, it started spewing out all of the print jobs that had been piling up over the past week on mom's PC.

At least along the way, I discovered that stepdad's laptop had been setup to use it via IP instead of hostname. It still wouldn't discover it via hostname on the LAN (only by IP), but typing in the hostname got it going.

Going to replace it with a Brother duplexing wireless printer next time I catch one on sale. Toner is a lot cheaper for them, and most of them print until they're truly out of toner instead of after some set number of pages. Imaging cartridges for this Samsung are nearly $50, and that's for remanufactured ones from Xarthor's store (genuine Samsung ones are more like $80, and nobody locally stocks them).

meatpimp posted:

As soon as I saw "Alamogordo" I knew exactly where it came from. (side note: I've actually been through several times on my way to Ruidoso).

There's actually a documentary on Netflix about the dig, and the guy who wrote the actual game - most of Atari's blockbusters were written by this guy. The short version is, Atari wanted a game in 5-6 weeks when it normally took 5-6 months. Look for "Atari: Game Over" on Netflix.

fake edit: just realized you've seen it while scrolling through messages. Oops. It's worth repeating though.

Cat Terrist posted:

On the other hand last week I gave up ALL bottled drinks and went with water. Holy gently caress me sideways, I never expected my body to react this fast or for as long.

I had to give up sugary drinks about a year ago because of the beetus. Occasionally I'll sneak in a Dr Pepper Ten (a form of diet with 10 calories and a pinch of HFCS instead of pure aspartame), and maybe once a week I'll have an actual soft drink.

It took me a bit over a week to get over the headaches. When I drink a soft drink now, it's just so drat sweet I can barely tolerate it. Generally I drink water now, with an occasional cold tea. Sometimes a Gatorade if I've been sweating my balls off.

Tide posted:

For reference, we have Uverse. The wiring in the house is 1982.

For reference, here's what I am dealing with:

So discard everything and only use the blues? I think I'm going to get a tech out to the house and have them rewire everything.

Fixed your link for you.

Look at the red and green wires on the jack itself. Those are the two wires you need, unless Uverse requires 4 wires (it's a form of DSL, so usually 2 wires). In your case, it looks like the blue and blue/white wires are the ones you need to be concerned with. The black and yellow wires at the jack are for a 2nd phone line.

That's not Cat5 at all, I have no idea what that is.

The installer might suggest a home-run jack - meaning one wired directly to the NID (the box where the telco wiring connects to the house), and usually wired with CAT5. I'd personally do that, UVerse is pretty drat picky about signal quality. If they're actually bringing fiber to the house itself (which is rare), rejoice. If you don't have a POTS line, I'd just have the installer disconnect the house wiring and hook up a home run jack, that eliminates multiple points of failure.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
gently caress all printers.

Except for the Laser Jet 4. loving tanks. If you can kill one, you really really did it right.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

The caffeine might be the least of your problems with "diet" drinks, with Lord knows what else is in them. At least with caffeine you can easily replace it.

While I'm making it out that coming off a lovely regime with drinks isnt brilliant, the positives are also just as fast to become clear, just I want to make sure they are real and not just fluctuations. I know quite drat well fad diets are awful for weightloss but getting rid of anything but water (and your caffeine repalcement) is proven to be really good for you, just rather surprised it's this positive this fast.

I went off caffeine completely about a couple of years ago; eased back into it and now just have one coffee or soda (16 oz max) before 1 PM. This week I cut out alcohol and there's been a noticeable improvement in my sleep quality.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

gently caress all printers.

Except for the Laser Jet 4. loving tanks. If you can kill one, you really really did it right.

I have less issues with printers ever since we got the Kyocera series laser printer/scanner combos at work. At home we have a Samsung color laser printer, and we've had zero issues with that.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
My hp laser has done well in my scenario.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

CommieGIR posted:

I have less issues with printers ever since we got the Kyocera series laser printer/scanner combos at work. At home we have a Samsung color laser printer, and we've had zero issues with that.

I have kept out of the loop in terms of technology, but we have these god awful lexmark printers at work. I hate them fuckers with a passion, I just want to go all office space on them on a daily basis.

In other news, I am finally getting my heat dialed in right on my welder, and really starting to get this welding thing figured out. I am still not perfect, but I am really getting there.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
I was gifted a Brother Inkjet and it has never let me down after I cleared the lines with about 20 inkjet cleaning cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Something every IT guy has said at some point: loving PRINTERS. And I'm not an IT guy.

I own the laser printer in the house, but rarely use it. Parents use it plenty. They just now told me it hasn't worked in a week. I walk over, standby light is on, I tap the power button, it warms up and the wifi light is on.I do the usual power cycle, it comes back on, but the wireless light is flashing for several seconds after it comes back on before going solid. It does some version of this anytime we have a storm (usually it either loses all settings, or just stops talking to the router). I checked the router, it wasn't even trying to pull an IP (it's on DHCP, with each PC set to use it via hostname).

Plugged my laptop into it, fired up the wireless setup utility, and it had all the right settings, and the right WPA2 key. As soon as I clicked finish, it started spewing out all of the print jobs that had been piling up over the past week on mom's PC.

At least along the way, I discovered that stepdad's laptop had been setup to use it via IP instead of hostname. It still wouldn't discover it via hostname on the LAN (only by IP), but typing in the hostname got it going.

Going to replace it with a Brother duplexing wireless printer next time I catch one on sale. Toner is a lot cheaper for them, and most of them print until they're truly out of toner instead of after some set number of pages. Imaging cartridges for this Samsung are nearly $50, and that's for remanufactured ones from Xarthor's store (genuine Samsung ones are more like $80, and nobody locally stocks them).

All printers are hitler, but Brother is supposedly the least terrible brand. I have their HL-2270DW model and haven't had any problems with it.

• Locked thread