Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Trin Tragula posted:

Twitter is great, and also terrifying.

Definitely going to find some space to slot this into tomorrow, with slightly better grammar.

i am pretty sure that was always the meaning of "there is some corner of a foreign field that is forever england," like i'm not sure how you could read it any differently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

i am pretty sure that was always the meaning of "there is some corner of a foreign field that is forever england," like i'm not sure how you could read it any differently
I think that's a comment on there being insufficient corners in that particular "foreign field" for all the dead. Wry British wit at its best.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Okay, thanks to the general chat about deaf 30YW mercenaries in taverns, I was reading the Wikipedia article about the 80 Years War.

It says at the siege of Steenwijk that 50 artillery pieces dropped 29,000 shots on the fortress and that at the siege of Coevorden, the fortress was bombarded for 6 weeks.

Is this fairly typical of sieges at the time? The article indicates that Maurice of Nassau had a larger than usual train of artillery. What would "constant bombardment" have consisted of at that time?

Also, here's Maurice rollin (front row left, with the creepy, starey horse)':

The island of Mauritius was named after him.

If anyone knows a bit more about the dude and his army reforms, I'd love to hear about it.

I know I can read Wikipedia, but opinionated views of history are always fun!

e: Wikipedia and the 80 YW led me to this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balthasar_G%C3%A9rard

who assassinated William the Silent. If there isn't an awesome action film in this, then I don't know.

Wikipedia posted:

As William the Silent climbed the stairs to the second floor, he was spoken to by the Welsh captain, Roger Williams, who knelt before him. William put his hand on the bowed head of the old captain, at which moment Gérard jumped out of a dark corner. He drew his weapon and fired three shots at the stadtholder. William the Silent collapsed. His sister knelt beside him, but it was too late. Mon Dieu, ayez pitié de moi et de mon pauvre peuple (My God, have mercy on me and on my poor people) were reportedly William's last words.

Gérard fled through a side door and ran across a narrow lane, pursued by Roger Williams. Gérard had almost reached the ramparts, from which he intended to jump into the moat. On the other side a saddled horse stood ready. A pig's bladder around his waist was intended to help keep him afloat. However, he stumbled over a heap of rubbish. A servant and a halberdier of the prince who had raced after him caught him. When called a traitor by his captors, he is said to have replied, "I am no traitor; I am a loyal servant of my lord." "Which lord?", they asked. "Of my lord and master, the king of Spain". At the same time more pages and halberdiers of the prince appeared and dragged him back to the house under a rain of fists and beatings with the butt of a sword. Hearing his assailants chatter and convinced he heard the prince was still alive, he yelled "Cursed be the hand that missed!

I can't help but picture Jason Stratham in some Transporter-style shenanigans. His trial and execution was pretty brutal, especially the bit with his heart...

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 20, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Friend of mine had a question about World War II, so I figured that you guys could give a good answer.

He was wondering just what would have been the outcome of Germany successfully encouraging Japan to commit to attacking the Soviet Union at the same time as Barbarossa, thus before the United States had entered the war. We're unsure exactly how much the Japanese could dedicate in June of 1941 or slightly before when they're already dealing with China and the American embargoes, as well as how well the Soviets could have fought off the attack. Personally I don't think they could have dedicated enough resources to hamper the Soviets to the point where Germany could have potentially defeated them.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Friend of mine had a question about World War II, so I figured that you guys could give a good answer.

He was wondering just what would have been the outcome of Germany successfully encouraging Japan to commit to attacking the Soviet Union at the same time as Barbarossa, thus before the United States had entered the war. We're unsure exactly how much the Japanese could dedicate in June of 1941 or slightly before when they're already dealing with China and the American embargoes, as well as how well the Soviets could have fought off the attack. Personally I don't think they could have dedicated enough resources to hamper the Soviets to the point where Germany could have potentially defeated them.

You're 100% right.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

my dad posted:

If you read that, read this too: http://www.wargaming.co/professional/details/articles/dkrussiantactics.pdf
It's a bit, err, British(?), and has a number of weird ideas, but makes a couple of good points.

This was a really good read, thank you!

Ensign Expendable posted:

For his heroism, private Mikhail Yegorovich Sergeev is worthy of the highest reward of the Motherland: the title of Hero of the Soviet Union."

Thank you Ensign, you always have interesting stuff to share.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hogge Wild posted:

You're 100% right.

As I understand it, the IJA probably would have shot any minister in Tokyo who seriously wanted them to attack the Soviet Union.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cythereal posted:

As I understand it, the IJA probably would have shot any minister in Tokyo who seriously wanted them to attack the Soviet Union.

And if they hadn't, the Navy would have.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cythereal posted:

It would probably have been their wisest move in the entire war.

Elissimpark posted:

Okay, thanks to the general chat about deaf 30YW mercenaries in taverns, I was reading the Wikipedia article about the 80 Years War.

It says at the siege of Steenwijk that 50 artillery pieces dropped 29,000 shots on the fortress and that at the siege of Coevorden, the fortress was bombarded for 6 weeks.

Is this fairly typical of sieges at the time? The article indicates that Maurice of Nassau had a larger than usual train of artillery. What would "constant bombardment" have consisted of at that time?

Also, here's Maurice rollin (front row left, with the creepy, starey horse)':

The island of Mauritius was named after him.

If anyone knows a bit more about the dude and his army reforms, I'd love to hear about it.

I know I can read Wikipedia, but opinionated views of history are always fun!

e: Wikipedia and the 80 YW led me to this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balthasar_G%C3%A9rard

who assassinated William the Silent. If there isn't an awesome action film in this, then I don't know.

I can't help but picture Jason Stratham in some Transporter-style shenanigans. His trial and execution was pretty brutal, especially the bit with his heart...

What, did he reload? It says he haggled for 2 pistols for 50 crowns (a deal?) and maybe he had a third?

Frostwerks fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 20, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hogge Wild posted:

You're 100% right.

Is there anything out there regarding what, specifically, Russia did between the RJW in 1905 and the 30s/40s to become more of a match for Japan? Or was it just the political instability and overall weakness of the Tsarist state?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Is there anything out there regarding what, specifically, Russia did between the RJW in 1905 and the 30s/40s to become more of a match for Japan? Or was it just the political instability and overall weakness of the Tsarist state?

When Russo-Japanese war happened, Russia was just in the early stages of industrialization. By 1940s Soviet Union's economy was much greater, even with the destruction caused by the WWI, the Civil War and early communist policies. Eg. in 1914 Russia was behind USA, Great Britain, Germany and France in steel and coal production, but in 1941 Soviet Union was only behind USA.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

The RJW was fought when the single-track Trans-Siberian Railway was the only thing connecting European Russia to the Far East. That's a hell of a logistics issue. Aside from that, Russia was having severe internal problems, culminating in the 1905 revolution (And it's subsequent fizzle.)

The IJA and the Russian Army were more or less comparable, but the RJW as a whole was basically Japan's to win.

chitoryu12 posted:

Personally I don't think they could have dedicated enough resources to hamper the Soviets to the point where Germany could have potentially defeated them.

It is 1,000km from Warsaw to Moscow, which is a distance that the Germans couldn't bridge, with numerous advantages on their side.

In 1939, the IJA and the Soviet Army fought at Khalkin Gol, a river in Communist Mongolia that the Japanese were contesting. The Japanese were utterly trashed by the Soviets, and signed their non-aggression pact with that in mind.

The nearest major city from Khalkin Gol, Irkutsk, is also 1,000km away. The next stop over is Krasnoyarsk, which is another 1,000km away. A Japanese offensive would mean going through 2,000 km of harsh terrain with terrible infrastructure, in order to accomplish very little at all. The Soviets would barely need to contest it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Frostwerks posted:

It says he haggled for 2 pistols for 50 crowns (a deal?) and maybe he had a third?
He haggled because the dude didn't want to cut the bullets into cubes, which is cruel. I think a crown's equal to a ducat, and fifty ducats is a lot of money but if that's for two or three pistols it's a great deal.

quote:

What, did he reload?

I'll write about Maurician reforms when I'm not so tired, sorry

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

It would probably have been their wisest move in the entire war.

What, did he reload? It says he haggled for 2 pistols for 50 crowns (a deal?) and maybe he had a third?

I can't find a definite source on how many times he was shot, but 3 seems to be correct. Three pistols would make sense, but reloading in the middle of an assassination attempt provides a funnier mental picture.

Incidentally, this was the apparently the second assassination of a head of government by firearm, though I did see a book on Amazon suggesting it was the first.

This dude:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart,_1st_Earl_of_Moray

was the first. I recommend the article if only for the alleged death of Lady Mondegreen. Wrong Earl of Moray, but nice try.

e:

HEY GAL posted:

I'll write about Maurician reforms when I'm not so tired, sorry
Yay!

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 20, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hogge Wild posted:

When Russo-Japanese war happened, Russia was just in the early stages of industrialization. By 1940s Soviet Union's economy was much greater, even with the destruction caused by the WWI, the Civil War and early communist policies. Eg. in 1914 Russia was behind USA, Great Britain, Germany and France in steel and coal production, but in 1941 Soviet Union was only behind USA.

In short, Stalin?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FAUXTON posted:

Tanks, planes, (the motorization of infantry?) and (the beginnings of) mobile doctrine were a thing by the time of Khalkin Gol.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Elissimpark posted:

I can't find a definite source on how many times he was shot, but 3 seems to be correct. Three pistols would make sense, but reloading in the middle of an assassination attempt provides a funnier mental picture.

Incidentally, this was the apparently the second assassination of a head of government by firearm, though I did see a book on Amazon suggesting it was the first.

This dude:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Stewart,_1st_Earl_of_Moray

was the first. I recommend the article if only for the alleged death of Lady Mondegreen. Wrong Earl of Moray, but nice try.

e:

Yay!

Wasn't there an early form of ASSAULT WEAPONS debate when some HoS got popped by a wheellock, which needing no match had no telltale spark or smoke?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Also recall that the Transbaikal Front wasn't empty, it was full of the most promising officers who were training and rearing to have a go at some invaders, German or otherwise.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Frostwerks posted:

Wasn't there an early form of ASSAULT WEAPONS debate when some HoS got popped by a wheellock, which needing no match had no telltale spark or smoke?
Yeah, William the Silent was that guy. You can also hide them under your clothes and walk around with them.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 20, 2015

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Regarding the three shots thing: could the assassin have had one double barreled pistol and one regular one?

How common were multi barrel wheel locks?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah, William the Silent was that guy. You can also hide them under your clothes and walk around with them.

Incidentally, I recommend everyone to read how his assassin was executed.

Yes, I'm an rear end in a top hat.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Regarding the three shots thing: could the assassin have had one double barreled pistol and one regular one?

How common were multi barrel wheel locks?
We were all wrong: according to William the Silent's wikipedia entry, one pistol, three bullets.

quote:

Minutes of the States-General of 10 July 1584, quoted in JW Berkelbach van der Sprenkel, De Vader des Vaderlands, Haarlem 1941, p. 29: "Ten desen daghe es geschiet de clachelycke moort van Zijne Excellentie, die tusschen den een ende twee uren na den noen es ghescoten met een pistolet gheladen met dry ballen, deur een genaempt Baltazar Geraert... Ende heeft Zijne Excellentie in het vallen gheroepen: Mijn God, ontfermpt U mijnder ende Uwer ermen ghemeynte (Mon Dieu ayez pitié de mon âme, mon Dieu, ayez pitié de ce pauvre peuple)".
That doesn't explain the holes though:

Different paths on their way out of him?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
The Silent is such a stupid epithet. Is that a UK thing?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Groda posted:

Dutch, also known as William of Orange.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It's really strange that he got shot conveniently where somebody had hung placards of his impending assassination.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

HEY GAL posted:

That doesn't explain the holes though:

Different paths on their way out of him?
Almost certainly. Loading three balls into a smooth bore pistol isn't exactly a recipe for accuracy but it sounds like a drat good way to make sure whoever you shoot from point blank range dies.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
But then again, "accurate smooth bore pistol" is a bit of an oxymoron, anyway.

Speaking of smooth bores, how is it that the smooth bore weapons of the pre-19th century have a reputation for being hilariously inaccurate while modern tank guns are also smooth bore (:britain: excepted) and reportedly fairly accurate? I can buy it for the fin-stabilized ammunition, but what about HE/HEAT? Just less windage?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Speaking of smooth bores, how is it that the smooth bore weapons of the pre-19th century have a reputation for being hilariously inaccurate while modern tank guns are also smooth bore (:britain: excepted) and reportedly fairly accurate? I can buy it for the fin-stabilized ammunition, but what about HE/HEAT? Just less windage?

They've all got fins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:125mm_BK-14m_HEAT.JPG

The British stayed with rifled barrels because their special HESH shells work better with them. It's probably a mistake, but oh well.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Groda posted:

The story provided by Wikipedia regards this is pretty cool - and "the Silent" is the best us English speakers could do.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Almost certainly. Loading three balls into a smooth bore pistol isn't exactly a recipe for accuracy but it sounds like a drat good way to make sure whoever you shoot from point blank range dies.

This story keeps getting more and more :black101: - its starting to sound like a 16th century version of The Jackal. Wonder if Bruce Willis could be talked into a period piece...

Can anyone recommend some reading about the 80YW or about William himself?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

HEY GAL posted:

The line is "there shall be in that rich earth a richer dust concealed", not "that rich earth shall basically be made up entirely of English corpses".

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

"that rich earth shall basically be made up entirely of English corpses"
i smell our new title

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 20, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

German guns open fire on Ypres, scattering the sizeable number of civilians who've returned in the last few months. Armenians in Van are now in open revolt, the Germans ineffectually counter-attack Hill 60, and Herbert Sulzbach wanders away from his billet to go and visit a family friend. There's also a truly fantastic advert in the paper which manages to advertise bread in the same fashion as patent medicine (anything which opens with 'Constipation' in large letters is okay by me), and my favourite redundant headline makes a welcome return.

The money market has a desire for money :allears:

Also, in completely unrelated news, I very much enjoyed this blog entry from The Social Historian ("Orange is the new Jacobite") about the Glorious Revolution.

quote:

Things then came to a head when a group of nobles, known as the ‘Immortal Seven’ (like the Fantastic Four but more wiggy), decided to respond in the most English way possible. They wrote a letter (this was to be, after all, the most passive-aggressive revolution in history).

The person they wrote to was William of Orange, a Dutch prince. William, who shocked the sexual morality of the age by only having one mistress, was technically part of the dysfunctional House Stuart.

He was Charles I’s grandson (so James II was his uncle). But he’d also married James II’s daughter, Mary. The letter thus gave him the ultimate excuse to piss off the inlaws.

Yet, as much as this is a valid reason as any for overturning three constitutions, it wasn’t his only one. He also wanted to get at his great rival; the original King of the Swingers, Louis XIV of France.

For, in between dancing, banging up people he owed money to, and creating prime real estate out of bogs, Louis was also busy conquering all of Europe. He’d already pinched bits of Belgium, laid waste to the Dutch Republic, and ‘reunified’ parts of Germany that woke up to learn they’d actually always been in France. He called this ‘Gloire’. Everyone else called him a pain in the rear end.

Ahhh, that's the good stuff.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

In short, Stalin?

Wellll... that would be kinda like saying that it was Hitler who fixed Germany's economy.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hogge Wild posted:

Wellll... that would be kinda like saying that it was Hitler who fixed Germany's economy.

It's a steel joke.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Hogge Wild posted:

no it wouldn't

Stalin's industrialisation policies were basically a hypercharged capitalist industrialisation: untold misery, starvation and totalitarianism, but it worked and by the end the Soviet Union was one of the strongest economies in the world. The Nazi warlord economy was not based on actual industrial power - Stalin's massive boner for heavy industry was many things (among them terribly deleterious in the very long term), but it was very beneficial for the Soviet GDP, and it's what won them the war.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

In counterfactual questions like these I sometimes find it more interesting to explain not what could have happened, but why it didn't.

The foundation of the Berlin-Tokyo understanding was the Anti-Cominterm Pact, meaning an agreement of mutual hostility towards the Soviet Union. However, the Germans negotiated and concluded the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact with the USSR without consulting or even informing the Japanese government. It was as much a surprise to them as it was to everybody else. Molotov-Ribbentrop triggered a complete strategic realignment in the global diplomatic system. Soviet negotiators were actually talking to British and French diplomats about a possible Franco-British-Soviet alignment to contain Germany at the same time the M-R Pact was being finalized. Those talks broke down, the Soviets settled with the Germans a couple days later, and when the British diplomats asked for a meeting the Soviet team told them there was no point.

From Japan's perspective, this was a disaster. Their diplomatic strategy of aligning with Germany against Moscow is in shambles, because the Germans reversed themselves and are now pro-Soviet. The Japanese are now exposed to Soviet hostility, and they know they won't be able to resist because they've had their heads handed to them more than once. The M-R Pact is actually announced literally just a few days after the Soviets shattered the Japanese forces at Khalkin Gol. The Japanese government folds and a new one is formed, pretty much with the remit to get out of the USSR's way ASAP. They need to cover themselves, so they avoid further hostilities with the USSR and eventually negotiate a mutual neutrality pact in the Spring of 1941.

In the meantime, Japanese actions in Asia are leading to increased tensions with the USA, which then leads to the USA tightening economic pressure on Japan. Japan has a resource shortage and is committed to a huge, long-running war in China, so their strategy has to be based around gaining access to key resources. Eventually the USA begins an oil embargo, which turns this into a serious short-term problem: Japan needs oil, and soon, or their navy will be crippled and their operations in China will sputter to a halt. This is where they're at by 1941, when the Germans are asking them for help against the USSR. Basically, anything the Japanese do at that point needs to secure access to petroleum. Attacking the USSR doesn't do that. Attacking European colonies in the Pacific, specifically the Dutch East Indies, does. So by this time, it makes no sense on any level for the Japanese to join the German war with the USSR. They've already secured that front diplomatically, it doesn't serve their strategic interests, and the Germans already hosed them over on this point once, not to mention the extreme risk of getting the poo poo beaten out of them by the Red Army.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

V. Illych L. posted:

no it wouldn't

Stalin's industrialisation policies were basically a hypercharged capitalist industrialisation: untold misery, starvation and totalitarianism, but it worked and by the end the Soviet Union was one of the strongest economies in the world. The Nazi warlord economy was not based on actual industrial power - Stalin's massive boner for heavy industry was many things (among them terribly deleterious in the very long term), but it was very beneficial for the Soviet GDP, and it's what won them the war.

Exactly. Hitler was just making up for slack demand in the already massive German industrial economy by printing money and borrowing to spend recklessly on things like armaments (though also infrastructure). Stalin created an industrial base where there basically wasn't one before, an enormous sea-change.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

ArchangeI posted:

Superior manufacturing tolerances. Also you can and should have fin stabilized HEAT, having it spin reduces effectiveness.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Frostwerks posted:

It's really strange that he got shot conveniently where somebody had hung placards of his impending assassination.

He got distracted by reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HisMajestyBOB posted:

He got distracted by reading it.

"Don't turn aroun-"

• Locked thread