Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Wasn't stuff like Rose Of Versailles done with French Cooperation tho? I seem to recall them having a dub theme worth a poo poo that was headed by the original group, even if it had an hilariously subpar theme. That this isn't an hard stretch as to how the french wrote lyrics for the generiques. poo poo, I wouldn't be surprised if it was done in a fit of anger against the "Goldoraks".

Kunster fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea France and Italy aren't huge markets but there are some certain things that are just loving money printers in them and Japan has begun to see that. America is kinda too much a hodgepodge to have a 100% set in stone thing like 'Lupin sells like a motherfucker in Italy' so we just kinda became the weird fleshy growth to Japanese markets that everyone knows is there but no one really calls out as a factor beyond broad 'will this have outside appeal' terms.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Cubey posted:

I hope he does anything at all soon, his output has slowed to a crawl since he hopped on Patreon. I assume it's prolly because he's working on a new top 10 worst list and those are a lot of effort, but still.

Didn't he say he was writing a book of some sort?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I read that the creator of serial experiments lain intended for the show to be interpreted completely different by American audiences.

he was disappointed when they came to the same conclusions.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I read that the creator of serial experiments lain intended for the show to be interpreted completely different by American audiences.

Thats one of those shows I've been meaning to watch. drat you Post Office Job :argh:

Edit: And New Japan, And Orphan Black, And stack of Wrestling DVDs I buy but never watch, and season 4 of Bob's Burgers.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 20, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

Thats one of those shows I've been meaning to watch. drat you Post Office Job :argh:

It's real good friend and it's on Hulu.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I've not heard this, to what are you referring specifically?

(Also I wasn't aware there were too many wildly different interpretations to be taken on Lain, but that was probably way different back when it was still speculative fiction and not "This is now the world we live in, except they guessed the sociological consequences wrong in Lain.")

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Jay O posted:

I've not heard this, to what are you referring specifically?

(Also I wasn't aware there were too many wildly different interpretations to be taken on Lain, but that was probably way different back when it was still speculative fiction and not "This is now the world we live in, except they guessed the sociological consequences wrong in Lain.")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_Experiments_Lain

quote:

Producer Ueda had to answer repeated queries about a statement made in an Animerica interview.[5][7][8] The controversial statement said Lain was "a sort of cultural war against American culture and the American sense of values we [Japan] adopted after World War II".[9] He later explained in numerous interviews that he created Lain with a set of values he took as distinctly Japanese; he hoped Americans would not understand the series as the Japanese would. This would lead to a "war of ideas" over the meaning of the anime, hopefully culminating in new communication between the two cultures. When he discovered that the American audience held the same views on the series as the Japanese, he was disappointed.[8]

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Well, tbf people didn't know about aatrek.

That dude who hosed a dog stuck around for a while though.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it
Ha. Honestly, I'm not sure that whatever Ueda's ideas about Americanization of Japan were even came through in the material at all. Even though the original series pitch was his, I mostly associate Lain's stylistic voice with the director Nakamura, character designer ABe, and screenwriter Chiaki Konaka most of all. West/East value conflict is not the first, second, or third theme I would associate with Lain, had to think really hard to even remember what he might be associating with that, so...I think his creation might have gotten away from him in the case of Lain. The show is way more concerned with the potential loss of identity and autonomy caused by social networking than any kind of international culture clash, probably because it's way more associated with its director, screenwriter, and concept art guy than its producer.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Well, tbf people didn't know about aatrek.

That dude who hosed a dog stuck around for a while though.

Wait, what?

Also sorry to Smark-out but when Jay O posted the name Nakamura I immediately thought of this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Jh4B7aXu4

Edit: HOLY CRAP, I didn't realize that I just found the English commentary for this match. :neckbeard:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
^--------Holy poo poo is that Jim Ross on commentary yesssss

I'm surprised there aren't any anime reviewers who are willing to do videos on poo poo like this. We've got enough ~wacky hijinks oh boy this show sure is bad huh!~ shows to last a lifetime, why don't more people put out poo poo like Oancitizen, ComicHistorian, SFDebris or hell even AE Podcast? Really get inside and explore the background, politics, history and ideas in a show/movie/wrestling thing/comic/etc.?

I'm honestly really tired of the TGWTG style of "Hey let me simply describe literally the entire film but with jokes!" thing. It can be done well no doubt, all the people I went over do work in that style and people like Lupa can make it work, but it's just kind of getting stale to be honest.

I'd love for a show to not even go into specifics in a film, like do a retrospective on found footage, explore how the Blair Witch used it's marketing campaign to a genius extent and made it work, look at how films like Unfriended are pushing that idea even further, explore the V/H/S series.

Hell, we're on an anime track here, do a series on the role of voice actors, the background of famous series and what they did/why they succeeded/failed etc. There's just so much fertile ground to explore and work with that it sucks so many people are stuck in a weird rut.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Jay O posted:

Ha. Honestly, I'm not sure that whatever Ueda's ideas about Americanization of Japan were even came through in the material at all.

Yeah I really didn't notice anything either. :shrug:

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hell, we're on an anime track here, do a series on the role of voice actors, the background of famous series and what they did/why they succeeded/failed etc. There's just so much fertile ground to explore and work with that it sucks so many people are stuck in a weird rut.

I tried to do that sort of thing as a series with Inbetweens, but it didn't get many views, back when CPMs were make-or-break for that stuff, in a pre-Patreon world. So I tried to instead turn as many individual series anime reviews as I could into platforms to talk about larger topics in media or the anime industry, etc. This resulted in them taking way longer to make, of course. Unfortunately also during a time when I was rapidly falling out of love with the format and all its hassles/the hassles of TGWTG """celebrity."""

But I agree, I love videos in that vein. All of the internet criticism stuff I watch now is all talking about larger complicated topics in a conversational way, basically all the Team NChick crew's stuff. Haven't watched a "riff on a bad thing/weird thing" video in forever. I enjoyed some of them when they were educational, like Lewis' best videos where he would talk about the history of comics or specific franchises, but in the case of Doug's stuff or some other videos, where the "reviewer" doesn't know poo poo about their chosen media in general (holy hell does Doug not know poo poo about movies in general, why they're made, how they're made, basics of film criticism, etc.) it's just like...I'm too old for this. Somehow I have become too old for this.

This is not what brings in the clicks, though. My most-watched videos are "reviews" of titty shows and the Digimon retrospectives. Play to the children/adult-children, that's the bread and butter.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 20, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'd look forward to things like that but the problem of people generally being more interested in using comedy reviews to validate their opinions over background details tends to discourage a few. There's more than likely an audience for behind the scenes stuff for what they like. Sure it's going to be much harder to make than simply riffing a movie, with some details being obscured but I'm pretty sure if someone makes the background details their thing they'll be recognized.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I still really love your Trigun and Digimon videos. Especially Trigun, since it was probably the first non-children anime I sought out and and watched outside of just catching stuff on tv now and then.

I always felt to be a minority because I really love long winded video essays when most people seem to dislike videos that go longer than 15 minutes or so. I also agree that the comedy review kind of hit its peek a while back, but I kind of noticed that actual review/analyses shows have a small, but pretty steady presence. I guess patreon helps a lot in that regard.

e X fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 20, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I think it's also a lot of reviewers, especially in the early days of all this, wanted to be MST3K. Linkara especially.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'd love for a show to not even go into specifics in a film, like do a retrospective on found footage, explore how the Blair Witch used it's marketing campaign to a genius extent and made it work, look at how films like Unfriended are pushing that idea even further, explore the V/H/S series.
That in particular is covered pretty well in a series of articles The Dissolve did.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Yeah I really didn't notice anything either. :shrug:
Same. I even had that quote in mind as I was rewatching it last year and was kind of mystified as to how it relates to "Lain" at all.

Also, I just watched SFDebris review for "Repo: The Genetic Opera", which might be the most angry I've ever seen the guy, and from what he shows of the film, he has every reason to be. Also I'm now very, very glad I haven't seen that movie. It looks like the worst attempt ever at making an instant cult hit.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jay O posted:

This is not what brings in the clicks, though. My most-watched videos are "reviews" of titty shows and the Digimon retrospectives. Play to the children/adult-children, that's the bread and butter.

I'd argue your retrospective is in the vein of what I mean, you're still doing kind of an episode by episode thing, but poo poo that series 3 retrospective was legitimately really interesting, mainly because the subject, a really trippy way too dark show for kids, was interesting on it's own. I guess I just don't want people to keep making plot point by plot point breakdowns because at the end of the day are you're really doing is just making a MST3K thing.

Linkara does VERY clearly wanna be MST3K, but unfortunately he's honestly not that funny. Where he excels though is going into the nitty gritty of why things are terrible. His absolute best videos are easily his Identity Crisis ones with the Titans videos being a close second. He had some baffling point that he doesn't do modern events and things because "it pisses people off?" which is absurd.

Again, comics has a ton of poo poo to explore that isn't another review of Kool Aid Man issue #45 or whatever. If he wants to do a lovely event he can get mock angry at and still be interesting he can do Blackest Night, Fear Itself or hell, he can do Civil War.

SFDebris has hit that sweet spot of doing comedy and interesting looks into the deeper thoughts and issues in what he looks at, he's not just going for easy targets for jokes

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 20, 2015

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

OldTennisCourt posted:

SFDebris has hit that sweet spot of doing comedy and interesting looks into the deeper thoughts and issues in what he looks at, he's not just going for easy targets for jokes

Yeah, I like SFDebris. Brevity is also a boon to his work. Gets in, gives a solid informed opinion, gets out with a few little jokes tossed in to keep it personal.

BigRed0427 posted:

I think it's also a lot of reviewers, especially in the early days of all this, wanted to be MST3K. Linkara especially.

Sure, and I get that! But then let's call a spade a spade. They're comedians. Not reviewers. Making jokes, and sometimes not even jokes, just shooting fish in a barrel over continuity errors or a so-bad-its-good film anyway, over something's full runtime capped by a sophomoric, uninformed opinion (not so in the case of Lewis, but certainly many other "angry reviewers,") often when you chose the material principally because it was an easy target, is not reviewing anything. People hate on CinemaSins and call it out for watering the idea of criticism down to "I noticed plotholes" in the public consciousness, but the TGWTG model is just as bad. Criticism is about opening a dialogue with other audiences/fans, or even the artist themselves. It's not about finding things to rip into so that everyone will validate your ego...and sadly, that's what I discovered the TGWTG model was really about when I realized the fanbase the site was culturing was mostly sycophants and "me-too-ers." Not about a dialogue, not about the discussion of different types of media or discovery of neat things good or bad, just swaths of people parroting jokes back at the attention-starved person in the spotlight while secretly salivating for the spotlight themselves.

Dark, but that's how I feel. There are good people making good videos, and you should support them, but goddamn, gently caress the TGWTG structure and what it promoted sooooo hard.

Jay O fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 20, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

OldTennisCourt posted:

Linkara does VERY clearly wanna be MST3K, but unfortunately he's honestly not that funny. Where he excels though is going into the nitty gritty of why things are terrible. His absolute best videos are easily his Identity Crisis ones with the Titans videos being a close second. He had some baffling point that he doesn't do modern events and things because "it pisses people off?" which is absurd.

Again, comics has a ton of poo poo to explore that isn't another review of Kool Aid Man issue #45 or whatever. If he wants to do a lovely event he can get mock angry at and still be interesting he can do Blackest Night, Fear Itself or hell, he can do Civil War.

Eh, one of the things that eventually turned me off his show, aside from the overly extensive storyline, was that if you actually are into comics, it kind of becomes pretty apparent that he doesn't actually know all that much about them. Not just about the lore of the different characters, but also about the behind the scenes stuff and the creative process behind it. So his reviews ultimately remain rather shallow, at least for me.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yeah I think Linkara isn't really funny, but you can tell he's trying and I can at least respect that; plus he and James help me get in the Halloween spirit with their horror comics/movie retrospectives that I wish were the norm in internet "reviewing"

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

e X posted:

Eh, one of the things that eventually turned me off his show, aside from the overly extensive storyline, was that if you actually are into comics, it kind of becomes pretty apparent that he doesn't actually know all that much about them. Not just about the lore of the different characters, but also about the behind the scenes stuff and the creative process behind it. So his reviews ultimately remain rather shallow, at least for me.

He knows more than the comics dummies, aka me. His audience seems to mostly be comics dummies, so it works. At least there's an attempt to educate people about the medium or a franchise, whereas with Doug's stuff there is zero attempt and an almost bizarre pride in making straight-up false statements about the individual film or film as a medium etc., but keep in mind I haven't seen one of Lewis' videos in a long-rear end time, so...

I'm just saying his heart seems to be in the right place.

But yeah, the Koolaid Man comics and whatnot are a complete waste of everyone's time. He might just genuinely not be interested in talking about better material, but given the Longbox of the Damned type stuff, I'm not sure that's true. The I ONLY "REVIEW" (RIFF) BAD THINGS hill is still a crap hill to die on, though. Talk about bad things, then talk about mediocre things, talk about good things, round yourself out, open a dialogue. None of them are MST3K, I do not understand the nerd obsession with wanting to be comedians despite not apparently knowing what jokes are.

I've said enough, I think. See, this is why I talk about tangential media in this thread rather than Internet Critics themselves. Feels like I'm too close to the subject! :eng99:

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

You said you don't read much comics, but is it the same for manga? If not, what have you read that you liked?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Jay O posted:

But yeah, the Koolaid Man comics and whatnot are a complete waste of everyone's time. He might just genuinely not be interested in talking about better material, but given the Longbox of the Damned type stuff, I'm not sure that's true. The I ONLY "REVIEW" (RIFF) BAD THINGS hill is still a crap hill to die on, though. Talk about bad things, then talk about mediocre things, talk about good things, round yourself out, open a dialogue. None of them are MST3K, I do not understand the nerd obsession with wanting to be comedians despite not apparently knowing what jokes are.

I truly don't understand that weird "UH, I BELIEVE YOU FORGET IT'S CALLED WHERE BAD COMICS BURN?" thing. Why would you be so adamant about limiting yourself? The dude can review a video game that's in no way based on comics or do a long rear end Pokemon LP but talking about non poo poo comics is where he draws the line?

I honestly just rewatched that Kool-Aid thing for a refresher and good god it's the same "This doesn't make logical sense!" joke a million times over. There's literally nothing to talk about, why is that worth looking at and not Infinite Crisis, Watchmen, From Hell or a million other actually interesting things?

If you're actually interested Jay, check out Comics Explained, he actually goes deeper into topics of storylines and things and is very beginner friendly and interesting for example, here's a look at Ultron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT2W4wi66kQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh hey, a large post dump, and it isn't focused entirely on the incest child rape apologist!? You guys done good.

Canada does seem to have it fairly good for anime, price wise. I mean, sure, you're still paying the same amount for ten episodes of a 52 episode series as you are for a 10 episode HBO series, but that's still better than a 70 dollar three episode pack.

As for JO's videos, the first ones I watched were your Miyazaki retrospectives, and I seriously liked them. Again, I'm not too big on that particular interpretation of Grave of the Fireflies, but chalk that up to my evil gaijin morals. I can forgive not agreeing on everything, since you introduced me to the joys of flying pigs fighting texans.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Jay O posted:

I tried to do that sort of thing as a series with Inbetweens, but it didn't get many views, back when CPMs were make-or-break for that stuff, in a pre-Patreon world. So I tried to instead turn as many individual series anime reviews as I could into platforms to talk about larger topics in media or the anime industry, etc. This resulted in them taking way longer to make, of course. Unfortunately also during a time when I was rapidly falling out of love with the format and all its hassles/the hassles of TGWTG """celebrity."""

But I agree, I love videos in that vein. All of the internet criticism stuff I watch now is all talking about larger complicated topics in a conversational way, basically all the Team NChick crew's stuff. Haven't watched a "riff on a bad thing/weird thing" video in forever. I enjoyed some of them when they were educational, like Lewis' best videos where he would talk about the history of comics or specific franchises, but in the case of Doug's stuff or some other videos, where the "reviewer" doesn't know poo poo about their chosen media in general (holy hell does Doug not know poo poo about movies in general, why they're made, how they're made, basics of film criticism, etc.)[it's just like...I'm too old for this. Somehow I have become too old for this.

I kind of saw that with doug about a year ago when the ninja turtle remake came out. He seem to blame Bay for everything wrong with the film when he just have a Producer role due to it was his film company. and to compare to brad's review of shity bay film he will call out the writers by name, and know who was the director of the ninja turtle film. (it was the guy who did battle:LA, some forgettable alien invasion film.)

i am kind of sad with TGWTG, i am upset knwing doug was bad and i followed him for ages, but i found some good folks due to it too.

also brad does snob reviews of films he likes so I don't get why linkara can't review something he likes to and make fun of it.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 20, 2015

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It can be more fun to see somebody taking the piss out of something that they love. That's at least half of Brad Jones' deal. His Friday the 13th reviews are the best, and Ebert's reviews of those movies are what inspired his whole project.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jay O posted:

But I agree, I love videos in that vein. All of the internet criticism stuff I watch now is all talking about larger complicated topics in a conversational way, basically all the Team NChick crew's stuff. Haven't watched a "riff on a bad thing/weird thing" video in forever. I enjoyed some of them when they were educational, like Lewis' best videos where he would talk about the history of comics or specific franchises, but in the case of Doug's stuff or some other videos, where the "reviewer" doesn't know poo poo about their chosen media in general (holy hell does Doug not know poo poo about movies in general, why they're made, how they're made, basics of film criticism, etc.) it's just like...I'm too old for this. Somehow I have become too old for this.

I love that even now, he's pretty clueless about films and narrative storytelling, but he's already made three movies, and people lap up his reviews and opinions.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

OldTennisCourt posted:

^--------Holy poo poo is that Jim Ross on commentary yesssss

I'm surprised there aren't any anime reviewers who are willing to do videos on poo poo like this. We've got enough ~wacky hijinks oh boy this show sure is bad huh!~ shows to last a lifetime, why don't more people put out poo poo like Oancitizen, ComicHistorian, SFDebris or hell even AE Podcast? Really get inside and explore the background, politics, history and ideas in a show/movie/wrestling thing/comic/etc.?

I'm honestly really tired of the TGWTG style of "Hey let me simply describe literally the entire film but with jokes!" thing. It can be done well no doubt, all the people I went over do work in that style and people like Lupa can make it work, but it's just kind of getting stale to be honest.

I still really want someone with a deep knowledge of Buddhism to do a dissection of Eurekla Seven.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jack Gladney posted:

It can be more fun to see somebody taking the piss out of something that they love.

This is why Dragon Ball Z Abridged is so good. The people behind genuinely love Dragon Ball, but it's ridiculous and they really know how to have fun with it.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
the issue is most people who would be anime reviews on a video format are kind of creepy manchildren, JO is one of the small few who isn't a creep and review like a profesonal and why goons like her reviews.

Cyron fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 20, 2015

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

My all time favorite review is your review of Evangelion, JO. I tried watching the series years before I saw your review and couldn't get into it, but your review renewed my interest because of how insightful it was so I gave it a second chance and ended up marathoning the whole series. Eva is still nowhere a favorite show of mine but your video was the first review that actually made me rethink my opinion on something.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Thunderfinger posted:

You said you don't read much comics, but is it the same for manga? If not, what have you read that you liked?

It is the same for manga! I've read some manga series all the way through, but it's probably less than 20 series total. Compared to the hundreds of anime and thousands of movies I've seen, it's absolutely pithy, and even when I see an anime I really like, rarely does it inspire me to read the manga. The issue in all cases is that while I really like sequential art in theory, I'm a huge sound and music and editing nerd, and I'm also a speed-reader. So I tend to blaze through comics a little too fast, to the extent where they don't have the chance to resonate with me as well, and I often feel like I'm just reading the storyboard for a movie, TV show, or cartoon, like I'm imagining how it would be adapted with those sound, music, and editing elements in my head, and ultimately I just end up watching movies, TV shows, and cartoons instead. So I think that's my darn problem.

As far as manga I have enjoyed, I am currently reading Attack on Titan and Inside Mari. I'm enjoying both, but the whole time I'm reading Attack on Titan I'm just like "CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS IN THE SHOW!" and I'm basically reading it now so no one will spoil it for me before the second season airs next year. Inside Mari is creepy as hell, and is basically my favorite kind of comic/manga because it has very few words in it. The more art and less dialogue you can put in a comic, the more immersed I will be in it, because my speed-reading problem doesn't factor in and I'm forced to really get lost in the art and composition. So yeah, Inside Mari is more my speed. My favorite manga of all time and the only one I actually own is Fruits Basket. I just really love the story, and in later volumes, the art and character expression. (Earlier volumes not so much, but goddamn, Natsuki Takaya has some gorgeous panels and body language stuff as her art improves and the story darkens.)

OldTennisCourt posted:

If you're actually interested Jay, check out Comics Explained, he actually goes deeper into topics of storylines and things and is very beginner friendly and interesting for example, here's a look at Ultron: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT2W4wi66kQ

I will do that, thanks! :)

And thanks to all of you for the kind compliments on my work. I tend to be a grumpy gus about ye olde video reviews sometimes, but it really means a ton to me that you guys supported it for so long, it means the world to me, thank you. :kimchi:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

WickedHate posted:

This is why Dragon Ball Z Abridged is so good. The people behind genuinely love Dragon Ball, but it's ridiculous and they really know how to have fun with it.

Yea parody is best done by people who genuinely like the topic because then you get actual effort put in besides just easy 'goku more like dumb retard' jokes. Obviously DBZA's Goku is dumb as poo poo, but it's this more kinda weird childlike stupidity that works well because it's literal canon that Goku is only a good guy because he hit his head as a baby and forgot how to Saiyan. It's a joke that could easily be lame and cliche but done with a perspective of an actual fan they were able to make it more entertaining. It can be really fun to make fun of things you like because then you know the thing really well and know what's dumb/funny about it beyond a base level 'yea I saw that once, looked dumb'.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
EVA abridged was really good but that only lasted like 4 episodes.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea parody is best done by people who genuinely like the topic because then you get actual effort put in besides just easy 'goku more like dumb retard' jokes. Obviously DBZA's Goku is dumb as poo poo, but it's this more kinda weird childlike stupidity that works well because it's literal canon that Goku is only a good guy because he hit his head as a baby and forgot how to Saiyan. It's a joke that could easily be lame and cliche but done with a perspective of an actual fan they were able to make it more entertaining. It can be really fun to make fun of things you like because then you know the thing really well and know what's dumb/funny about it beyond a base level 'yea I saw that once, looked dumb'.

This is one of the reasons why I've never really liked Yugioh Abridged incidentally, it's clear they actually like the source material and are having fun being irreverent with a thing they enjoy. Well that and it's actually funny and clever. Effort goes a long way.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jay O posted:

It is the same for manga! I've read some manga series all the way through, but it's probably less than 20 series total. Compared to the hundreds of anime and thousands of movies I've seen, it's absolutely pithy, and even when I see an anime I really like, rarely does it inspire me to read the manga. The issue in all cases is that while I really like sequential art in theory, I'm a huge sound and music and editing nerd, and I'm also a speed-reader. So I tend to blaze through comics a little too fast, to the extent where they don't have the chance to resonate with me as well, and I often feel like I'm just reading the storyboard for a movie, TV show, or cartoon, like I'm imagining how it would be adapted with those sound, music, and editing elements in my head, and ultimately I just end up watching movies, TV shows, and cartoons instead. So I think that's my darn problem.

As far as manga I have enjoyed, I am currently reading Attack on Titan and Inside Mari. I'm enjoying both, but the whole time I'm reading Attack on Titan I'm just like "CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS IN THE SHOW!" and I'm basically reading it now so no one will spoil it for me before the second season airs next year. Inside Mari is creepy as hell, and is basically my favorite kind of comic/manga because it has very few words in it. The more art and less dialogue you can put in a comic, the more immersed I will be in it, because my speed-reading problem doesn't factor in and I'm forced to really get lost in the art and composition. So yeah, Inside Mari is more my speed. My favorite manga of all time and the only one I actually own is Fruits Basket. I just really love the story, and in later volumes, the art and character expression. (Earlier volumes not so much, but goddamn, Natsuki Takaya has some gorgeous panels and body language stuff as her art improves and the story darkens.)
Have you checked out One Punch Man? Judging by how fast you claim to read, I bet it would look animated when you read it. :v:

WickedHate posted:

It also helps that Team Four Star have evolved as comedians/writers/voice actors since the early days of DBZA. I just wish AOT Abridged would have lasted longer. I also wished they would release more than 1 Hellsing Ultimate Abridged a year.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jay O posted:

That's so weird, cause that's the exact reason why I read manga more than I watch anime; the anime rarely, if ever, matches up to the image I have when reading the manga.

Like, One Piece, absolutely fantastic manga, but you watch the anime and it's so shiiiit, no effort put into it at all. Or take Negima, where they decided to adapt it no less than three times, and they kept loving it up, even the ones that really are just storyboarded from the manga just look and sound so bad comparatively. And don't get me started on how badly they hosed up the ending to Attack on Titan. :argh:

I'm really, really worried about how One Punch Man is gonna turn out, it's so good and the teasers we've seen are giving me hope but I don't wanna be hurt again. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

I also wished they would release more than 1 Hellsing Ultimate Abridged a year.

Then we'd have less to look forward to. I'm glad I know that for at least the next few Halloweens there'll be a Hellsing Ultimate Abridged to make me fall out of my chair laughing.

• Locked thread