Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Eiba posted:

Office seems to just be an industrial demand sponge and space filler without much benefit.

Office owns, it provides jobs and tax income without producing any noise or pollution or much traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Bold Robot posted:

Anyone have an example of a frontage road setup that works well for them? Saw the below on reddit or something and it looked pretty slick, but I'm wondering if it's secretly retarded.
This is what I've been doing in a city that's up to 91k. I guess using streets for the frontage roads would help with potential merge problems and encourage cims to get on the highway, but I like the unfinished look of highway ramps. :shobon:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Eiba posted:

So commercial generates some noise, but I've never seen anyone actually complain or anything... so what's the big deal?

Have I been needing more parks without knowing it or something? If that's the case, the costs are small enough that it kind of doesn't really matter to me. Especially because I've found office zones to be a pain if you're trying to make enough industry to fulfill your city's demand for goods domestically.

Office seems to just be an industrial demand sponge and space filler without much benefit.

It makes it easier to level buildings up to max if there's enough parks and for residential if there's no noise pollution (I think).

The amount of traffic saved by office space makes it worth it in a lot of situations plus it looks nicer than industry.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

nielsm posted:

If you only have single huge areas of each zone type, you can quite easily predict the traffic patterns. One of the easy predictions is that you will almost certainly bottleneck on whatever connections you make between the megazones.

If you intermix zoning types you will: 1) Get a more natural-looking city, and 2) Potentially more trips can be local avoiding some bottlenecking
I don't think its local trips preventing bottlenecking. Commercial lots seem to gladly order artisanal toilets from the industrial plant clear across the map. Residential cims who live next to the artisanal toilet plant seem to gladly drive to the artisanal toilet commercial outlet across the map. Less jokingly, proximity is not a strong driver of commercial deliveries or cim shopping outings.

What that does mean though is distributing residential, commercial, and industrial is a great idea since the random choice should evenly distribute the traffic, where concentrating a number of the same lots in one little area loads the dice to make people end up in bottlenecks. The wrench is that industrial ground pollution rewards concentrated pockets of industry, and if you're anything like me you end up a huge exporter of goods and that requires very specific traffic features that work easiest with the concentrated pockets to assist in getting out of the region by truck, train, and boat.

But otherwise yeah, concentrated commercial can be a tough problem to connect up and there aren't very strong downsides to mixing it in so feel free to make strip malls instead of shopping centers.

Bold Robot posted:

Office owns, it provides jobs and tax income without producing any noise or pollution or much traffic.
I base 90% of my decisions on what will give me more traffic to play with so offices generally only get used for aesthetic purposes. Or cramming buildings in marginal lots with poor connections.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Poizen Jam posted:

Doesn't help that 75% of modders still forego the thumbnail for the parks section entirely.

Apparently it's not possible to add thumbnails to assets unless they contain custom building models also. That's why most of the parking lots etc. don't have those.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poizen Jam posted:

When going for a suburb look, do you all still zone 4 tiles deep from the road? I've been using 2 tiles as I feel it matches the scale a bit better. I imagine wall-to-wall commercial districts would similarly be 2-3 blocks deep as opposed to the full 4.

I always do four tiles deep, with the roads being overscaled like they are it just looks like a street hell if you do less.

I've had good luck improving the look by making any tiny/oddly shaped sections of tiles high density residental. Like 2x2 or smaller. This puts a nice apartment building the area which kind of breaks up the monotony. Patches of light commercial help too.

Then spam trees in any gaps.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

xzzy posted:

I always do four tiles deep, with the roads being overscaled like they are it just looks like a street hell if you do less.

I've had good luck improving the look by making any tiny/oddly shaped sections of tiles high density residental. Like 2x2 or smaller. This puts a nice apartment building the area which kind of breaks up the monotony. Patches of light commercial help too.

Then spam trees in any gaps.

You can also make "fullsize" grids, but bend them a little. That breaks up the tiling and you get a lot of different sized lots.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, you just gotta break up the patterns with different zone types to jazz it up a little bit.

It's very easy to look at the demand meter and say "oh I need a thing" and zone an enormous chunk for it, but it makes everything look super monotonous.

A little strip mall or apartment complex really adds a lot.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I could just stare at this all day. :allears:

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.

kefkafloyd posted:

I could just stare at this all day. :allears:

This game really introduced me into how satisfying and pleasant to look at a well made traffic system really is. I also feel like a very boring person for thinking that way.

YES TRAFFIC FLOW

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Spent nearly 2 hours reconstructing my hellish mess of road spaghetti that worked well into a good looking, more thought out series of junctions. The whole thing went to hell and all the industry trucks decided they'd only use one intersection instead of the two they used before. Oh well, back to the ugly but functional version.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

IPlayVideoGames posted:

This game really introduced me into how satisfying and pleasant to look at a well made traffic system really is. I also feel like a very boring person for thinking that way.

YES TRAFFIC FLOW

What I love is the cyclic nature of the traffic, especially on this section of highway. There's three interchanges which are all rotaries and the US 5 / MA 57 (the one you see here) has real-life backup problems. I've found the game gets the traffic problems that this very rotary faces down in an uncanny way. Every once in a while you'll get a backup on Route 5 south into the rotary, but not all the time.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

zedprime posted:

Residential cims who live next to the artisanal toilet plant seem to gladly drive to the artisanal toilet commercial outlet across the map.

Who buys stuff straight from the factory? Should I be buying my smartphone straight from the Samsung plant? This changes everything!

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Will people actually use a local Train Station network to get around the city? The description says it's for getting tourists in/out of the city.

Can you load mods individual to a save file? I'd like to start a new city with some mods, but I don't want to affect my vanilla city.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RVT posted:

Will people actually use a local Train Station network to get around the city? The description says it's for getting tourists in/out of the city.

Yes, once you have multiple train stations you can draw routes just like with buses and subways.

It's pretty hard to manage though, you have to be really careful or you can clock your rail with trains, especially if freight uses it too. Game really needs one way rail so you can actually design networks because it's a colossal pain to manage rail congestion right now.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Why do i have not enough goods to sell at the same time as having commercial demand?

Why are 0 out of 19 garbage trucks in use when emptying a dump?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 19, 2015

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

Why do i have not enough goods to sell at the same time as having commercial demand?

You're industry trucks are probably having problems getting to your commerical to deliver the goods.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!
Lately I've been avoiding 4/6-lane roads completely and running long stretches of "ramp" roads through dense areas and the traffic distributes much better than if there were arterials magnetizing every service vehicle into a clump.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

xzzy posted:

Yes, once you have multiple train stations you can draw routes just like with buses and subways.

It's pretty hard to manage though, you have to be really careful or you can clock your rail with trains, especially if freight uses it too. Game really needs one way rail so you can actually design networks because it's a colossal pain to manage rail congestion right now.

The trick is to keep separate your internal rail routes and the ones that come in from outside the city. If everything is on the same network it's a clusterfuck, but if you segregate them it's easy to keep running smoothly.

You can also plop down cargo rail stations and industry will use them to transport goods around the city instead of driving all the way.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Man, I just upgraded to a new laptop with a 4k screen and an Nvidia 980M and holy balls does this game look amazing at 4k. The anti-aliasing problem just goes away entirely and I spent like a good hour in FPS mode just walking around.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I've just been using first person mod's car mode to cruise around my city. It's just like the old driving mode in PS1 SimCity. It's lovely.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Why are there so many dead bodies in my city? Health is great, crime is low, traffic is mostly not an issue, and cemeteries are plentiful and < 25% full. Yet somehow there's skulls and crossbones everywhere.

Also, who knew drawing circles was so hard?

Also, this game loving owns.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently Cims have a 6 year lifespan, and combined with massive residential building sprees, they are all "born" at the same time and thus "die" at the same time which results in this awful sawtooth population graph. In my first 5 or 6 cities it was so bad the whole thing bankrupted my city.

There's a mod somewhere that gives you the angle in degrees for making circles, does anyone have the name?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I was playing last night, working on an oil mining town outside my city proper and by the time I panned back over almost every single one of my buildings had dead or sick people in them.

Turns out putting waste water upstream from your water pumps is a bad idea.

So if you've got tons of dead, make sure you're not feeding your citizens poop water.

e: gently caress Swype

Megabound fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 20, 2015

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
^^^Nice to see the game creators are familiar with the various social constructionist theories of disaster vulnerability.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

RVT posted:

People will use them but they're pretty much worse than subways in every way. They have a huge footprint and it's really easy to snarl your traffic if you aren't fastidious about keeping local traffic separate from regional traffic, which only increases the footprint. This is a total bummer because they look really cool.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

WRT the dead bodies, make sure you have road coverage for your death services, just plopping down enough so that the bar is out of the yellow won't do it. You gotta make sure the hearses have enough coverage so that the roads are green.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Curvature of Earth posted:

Who buys stuff straight from the factory? Should I be buying my smartphone straight from the Samsung plant? This changes everything!

I know you are joking but it is called drop shipping. As a consumer you usually wouldn't realize it came directly from the manufacturer instead of from Amazon, Target or whoever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

re: drop shipping

Lenovo sells direct to the consumer, you can BTO (build to order) your laptop. desktop, server etc. Dell is famous for this. After placing my order with Lenovo, my BTO laptop was assembled in China two days later, then flown via fedex to my house. Total time was about 9 days. It's not a Samsung flasgship smart phone, but drop ship electronics are a thing, yes. Companies > 500 generally get their desktops/laptops drop shipped from the factory by the truckload.

A company I used to work for long ago was the middle man for commercial/school/government furniture (yes, including those uncomfortable chairs you sat in K-12 and probably university). We would order them from Virco or another manufacturer with a specific delivery date (usually June/July before Sept 1st) and then the manufacturer would ship directly from the factory to the school. You could get school colors (semi-custom) or standard blue. They made the standard blue in the off season and warehoused it, but custom colors were made during the busy season in batches and drop shipped direct from the loading dock at the factory to the school.

:goonsay:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
We clearly need a mod to inject some drop shipping into this game. What about package tracking? How are my cims supposed to track their packages!?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

beerinator posted:

We clearly need a mod to inject some drop shipping into this game. What about package tracking? How are my cims supposed to track their packages!?

Now I kinda want package services for my residential neighborhoods. It would only make a small impact in traffic generation, probably, but ~my immersion~

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

People will use them but they're pretty much worse than subways in every way. They have a huge footprint and it's really easy to snarl your traffic if you aren't fastidious about keeping local traffic separate from regional traffic, which only increases the footprint. This is a total bummer because they look really cool.

After the replies saying that people would use trains locally, I spent a couple hours jamming train stations in my city. The freight don't seem to get too much use, and all the track is ugly and messy, but following my passenger trains around my city is my new favorite thing.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

RVT posted:

On a related but unasked question: the harbor WON'T let cims use it to get around a city. I found out when i thought using them would be easier and better looking than building roads over a mountain to connect an industrial zone. :(

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I do hope we get some sort of ferries/water taxis eventually.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

World's best donut delivery service.

World's worst donut route.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ArchangeI posted:

Now I kinda want package services for my residential neighborhoods. It would only make a small impact in traffic generation, probably, but ~my immersion~

A postal service. Better hope it's good or nobody's checks will reach the tax office!!

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

hailthefish posted:

water taxis

I know this isn't what you mean, but every time someone suggests that I immediately think of someone adding in being able to use DUKW busses as actual busses

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Apparently it's so wet in Sydney tonight that the ferry services are being replaced by buses. Huh.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

The Deadly Hume posted:

Apparently it's so wet in Sydney tonight that the ferry services are being replaced by buses. Huh.

Shouldn't it be the other way around if it's so wet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Depends on the ferry service. At the far end of one of the services the river is quite shallow and when the weir overflows it makes the water to rough to land the ferry without stirring up silt which is full of heavy metals. The other service that goes across the mouth of the harbour gets pretty rough which is why that one gets cancelled.