Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well that explains that. Bottles don't usually last long at my apartment unless they coast above $100, but I have a feeling that's gonna be sitting next to my bottle of Malort for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

I love Woodford Reserve if I've got the cash, but I'm becoming more of a regular whiskey drinker these days and I'm always looking for bottles worth drinking in the $15-20 range. I've been picking up Rebel Yell for $16 a bottle and it's pretty drat good at that price. Any other suggestions?

Meowenstein
Aug 5, 2013
Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond is pretty good and can be purchased in Iowa for around $17. Old Grand Dad Bottled-in-Bond is also pretty tasty at around $20. If you can find Old Fitzgerald, that's a pretty inexpensive wheated bourbon that I've enjoyed. If you like Rebel Yell, you should like Old Fitzgerald.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Ezra Brooks. 15ish bucks for 90 proof and quite tasty.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm new to trying nice whisky but I recently expanded my collection to three bottles:

1) Yamazaki 18 Years
2) Yamazaki Distiller's Reserve
3) Hibiki 17 Years

I've had the 18 year for almost a year now but I have yet to open it. I read a few articles online that I shouldn't just keep it around since it tends to go bad - or at least taste different.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can best enjoy the bottles I have - what type of glass to get, ice, how to store it etc. Thank you.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 14, 2015

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Just drink it dude, overthinking it is stupid. Saving it is stupid unless you want to flip the bottles later (which with the current state of japanese whiskey, you might be able to do someday with the 17 and 18 lol). If you want a nice glass get a Glencairn. It doesnt matter what ice you use, you should learn to drink it neat anyway for the most flavor. If you wanna go crazy on ice fine but you can't make good ice at home. you can get some 'big ice cube' trays online in various places and those will be better but it's not necessary. don't put ice thats already melting in as it'll add more water without cooling the drink. You don't need to do anything to store it because the bottles should be gone in a couple weeks of drinking. It's booze, it tastes good, so drink it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Busy Bee posted:

1) Yamazaki 18 Years

I had this recently and you should open it. It's delicious. Even if you add ice, imo it's nice to taste it before the ice has melted.

Mahler
Oct 30, 2008

Instead of ice, you can also add water with a little spoon (or even, as some people do, with the tip of a straw). This allows you to better control the amount of water added, so you don't "drown" the whisky. Anyway, it's all down to personal taste. Try out a bunch of different ways and choose the one which best suits you.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Meowenstein posted:

Evan Williams Bottled-in-Bond is pretty good and can be purchased in Iowa for around $17. Old Grand Dad Bottled-in-Bond is also pretty tasty at around $20. If you can find Old Fitzgerald, that's a pretty inexpensive wheated bourbon that I've enjoyed. If you like Rebel Yell, you should like Old Fitzgerald.
Iowa? If you're in the Des Moines area I would love to hear about a liquor store that has a good selection. There was a liquor store that a friend showed me in Iowa City, it had bootleggin' in the name, but around here it's all Hyvee liquor stores and the selection leaves a lot to be desired.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you can find it buy W.L. Weller. Usually it's in the low $20's, but its worth the extra couple bucks. By a long long way.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Big bro came back from the US with 2 bottles of Glenlivit Master Distillers Reserve for 100USD

Interested to compare it to the Glenlivit 21. The Master Distillers reserve is done in 3 different barrels including ex-Sherry casks. I feel like it's going to be quite light and fruity

Meowenstein
Aug 5, 2013

The French Army! posted:

Iowa? If you're in the Des Moines area I would love to hear about a liquor store that has a good selection. There was a liquor store that a friend showed me in Iowa City, it had bootleggin' in the name, but around here it's all Hyvee liquor stores and the selection leaves a lot to be desired.

I haven't checked out the Des Moines liquor stores yet, myself. If you're willing to go to Ames, Cyclone Liquor has a pretty good selection of most spirits, and they get interesting things fairly often.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Meowenstein posted:

I haven't checked out the Des Moines liquor stores yet, myself. If you're willing to go to Ames, Cyclone Liquor has a pretty good selection of most spirits, and they get interesting things fairly often.

Cyclone liquor is good. I've heard really good things about Ingersoll Liquor over in Des Moines, not too far from downtown. They do special orders and have a pretty good selection of local stuff as well as all the big names. I'd give them a check out.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I just finished the first bottle of whiskey that I've ever bought from one of the newer startup whiskey houses. Laws Four Grain Bourbon, from Denver. It tasted pretty drat good with a great corn/bourbon core and a good bit of spice from the rye, but not overpowering. I really couldn't tell the wheat was there since it was missing the characteristic smoothness. I guess that's the inherent problem with a lot of these new whiskey companies. They just don't have the time and money to be aging things 5-10 years. But it was on sale for 55 bucks and at that price, it was worth it.

I'm spoiled, really. I was really lucky and got into Bourbon back in college before it got popular, so I could buy as much of Van Winkle and George T Stagg or whatever as I wanted/could afford. Never splurged on the 23 year Pappy, hell 200 bucks was a lot for a college student. Had lots of other bottles of rye and bourbon that would be way more expensive and hard to find these days.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 17, 2015

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

The newest step in the NAS movement is the first to really make me sad.

Apparently the new bottles still have 12 years old on the back, but it seems like it's only a matter of time before that disappears. I'm sure that EC will continue to make good whiskey, but drat...

Meowenstein
Aug 5, 2013
That is strange. I can't find a label approval form in the COLA registry for that label in the last decade, and that stuff is usually months in advance. It makes me wonder if that label is either very old or a misprint. That and quietly killing age statements doesn't seem to be Heaven Hill's style.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Meowenstein posted:

That is strange. I can't find a label approval form in the COLA registry for that label in the last decade, and that stuff is usually months in advance. It makes me wonder if that label is either very old or a misprint. That and quietly killing age statements doesn't seem to be Heaven Hill's style.

Let's hope it's some enterprising troll then. EC12 is the one whiskey I stock at our bar and I'd like to keep it that way.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Alright, I have a bit of a bar story that involves whiskey etiquette I need advice on.

Last night I went out to Smoke in Dallas with two friends, and we grabbed a drink while we had a 30 minutes wait. They infuse some liquors, so we each decided to have their Maple Wood infused (bunch of planks sitting in a lot of whiskey) George Dickel Rye rimmed with brown sugar and orange peel. On the menu this is 8 dollars. We order three and the bartender asks us, "on the rocks or neat". We get two rocks and one neat.

The bill comes back and he charges us 10 bucks per drink. He explains this very quickly that since we ordered neat and on the rocks, they use a 1.5oz pour vs a 1oz pour. I should mention the two on the rocks were overflowing with ice. My friend took this as acceptable and paid the bill unquestionably.

I went to the manager before dinner to discuss it, and she said the same thing. I asked her how to order the 8 dollar version and she just said no one has complained about it before. She was polite but sticking to her guns and after a 2 minute conversation brought us another round of drinks on the house to placate me, but I was still fairly irked about the whole thing.

Am I crazy? On the rocks means with some ice and neat means no ice. Since when does a restaurant use those terms to bait and switch charge a different price than advertised?

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
That's kind of bull

I've heard of neat pours being larger pours but that the rocks was the same is stupid
At the very least they should warn you when you order

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

Crunkjuice posted:

Alright, I have a bit of a bar story that involves whiskey etiquette I need advice on.

Last night I went out to Smoke in Dallas with two friends, and we grabbed a drink while we had a 30 minutes wait. They infuse some liquors, so we each decided to have their Maple Wood infused (bunch of planks sitting in a lot of whiskey) George Dickel Rye rimmed with brown sugar and orange peel. On the menu this is 8 dollars. We order three and the bartender asks us, "on the rocks or neat". We get two rocks and one neat.

The bill comes back and he charges us 10 bucks per drink. He explains this very quickly that since we ordered neat and on the rocks, they use a 1.5oz pour vs a 1oz pour. I should mention the two on the rocks were overflowing with ice. My friend took this as acceptable and paid the bill unquestionably.

I went to the manager before dinner to discuss it, and she said the same thing. I asked her how to order the 8 dollar version and she just said no one has complained about it before. She was polite but sticking to her guns and after a 2 minute conversation brought us another round of drinks on the house to placate me, but I was still fairly irked about the whole thing.

Am I crazy? On the rocks means with some ice and neat means no ice. Since when does a restaurant use those terms to bait and switch charge a different price than advertised?

This has come up before and it's a bit more complex but ultimately mind-boggling all around.

From the point of view of a bartender, terminology and ordering is very vague and nonstandard. it's different in every place. As an example of how we do things, the menu lists all of our spirits with a certain price. Say for example Bulleit Bourbon is listed as 10$. This is for a neat or rocks pour, which is two ounces for us. While for whiskey most people are drinking it that way, we'll always get people who look at the tequila menu, and then as for, say, 6 shots of Don Julio. The shotglasses aren't two ounces, so the price we charge is lower than what's listed. (Say, 8 dollars per shot instead of 12)

So basically the bar you went to assumes that most people who are ordering spirits are ordering shots, and thus lists everything on the menu at shot(1oz) prices, then upcharges for neat/rx pours. There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to each strategy. The advantage of listing the shot prices is that it seems cheaper and so dumb drunk bros will be more willing to buy all their little buddies 10 shots. The disadvantage is pissing off people like you who are ordering neat but there's no indication anywhere that you'll be charged more. At my bar we list the higher price because it's just better service. Nobody will ever be upset to be charged less, but they will be upset to be charged more. There's plenty of ways that Smoke could make it better. List both prices in columns like DICKEL WITH MAPLE WOOD 8/10 with a header explaining... or having a "neat and rocks pours are such and such more" at the bottom of the menu or something like that. But menu design is hard and getting morons to understand what numbers mean is surprisingly hard, let alone drunk morons, so while you are totally right to be peeved at how they do things, understand that there are reasons and that likely for every comped drink they have to give you they probably sell 100$ extra patron with lime and salts.

E: Also understand that menu design is often done by people who are never on the floor, and confusing or lovely practices or design always just ends up being the service staff's problem. So try to be understanding if you can, as the poor server or bartender or manager might be getting yelled at over this multiple times a night, and the office manager who revises the menu once every six months will never know or care.

swimming anime fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 19, 2015

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

swimming anime posted:

This has come up before and it's a bit more complex but ultimately mind-boggling all around.

From the point of view of a bartender, terminology and ordering is very vague and nonstandard. it's different in every place. As an example of how we do things, the menu lists all of our spirits with a certain price. Say for example Bulleit Bourbon is listed as 10$. This is for a neat or rocks pour, which is two ounces for us. While for whiskey most people are drinking it that way, we'll always get people who look at the tequila menu, and then as for, say, 6 shots of Don Julio. The shotglasses aren't two ounces, so the price we charge is lower than what's listed. (Say, 8 dollars per shot instead of 12)

So basically the bar you went to assumes that most people who are ordering spirits are ordering shots, and thus lists everything on the menu at shot(1oz) prices, then upcharges for neat/rx pours. There are obvious advantages and disadvantages to each strategy. The advantage of listing the shot prices is that it seems cheaper and so dumb drunk bros will be more willing to buy all their little buddies 10 shots. The disadvantage is pissing off people like you who are ordering neat but there's no indication anywhere that you'll be charged more. At my bar we list the higher price because it's just better service. Nobody will ever be upset to be charged less, but they will be upset to be charged more. There's plenty of ways that Smoke could make it better. List both prices in columns like DICKEL WITH MAPLE WOOD 8/10 with a header explaining... or having a "neat and rocks pours are such and such more" at the bottom of the menu or something like that. But menu design is hard and getting morons to understand what numbers mean is surprisingly hard, let alone drunk morons, so while you are totally right to be peeved at how they do things, understand that there are reasons and that likely for every comped drink they have to give you they probably sell 100$ extra patron with lime and salts.

E: Also understand that menu design is often done by people who are never on the floor, and confusing or lovely practices or design always just ends up being the service staff's problem. So try to be understanding if you can, as the poor server or bartender or manager might be getting yelled at over this multiple times a night, and the office manager who revises the menu once every six months will never know or care.

Thats a pretty drat solid explanation, thanks. I've never run into this before so it was definitely confusing. Everything else at Smoke was fantastic, just an oddity to start the night that I hadn't run into before.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I love Springbank whisky. I also love peated whisky.

I just found out that Longrow is peated whisky distilled at the Springbank distillery (I've been living under a rock).

I was going to get a bottle but read mixed reviews. Has anyone tried it, what did you think?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Knucklebear posted:

I love Springbank whisky. I also love peated whisky.

I just found out that Longrow is peated whisky distilled at the Springbank distillery (I've been living under a rock).

I was going to get a bottle but read mixed reviews. Has anyone tried it, what did you think?
Yeah, naming each of their styles after a different "distillery" can add a layer of confusion. (Springbank also produces Hazelburn which is completely unpeated and triple distilled)

While Springbank is partially peated (and distilled "two and a half" times), Longrow is fully peated and has a more conventional double distillation.
This might lead you to expect Longrow to simply be Springbank's peat dialed up to 11, which may be what some of those mixed reviews were hoping for, but that isn't what happens.
Longrow doesn't shove the peat in your face despite having the same PPM as Ardbeg, at least not in a crescendo of ash or iodine. It's more of a gentle, earthy experience with a light, balanced arrival that slowly asserts itself.

Personally, I quite like it and often prefer Longrow over Springbank's regular offering. It's a shame it only accounts for a tenth of their output.
There's also the Longrow Red series with each release having spent its entire 11 year maturation in a different first-fill wine cask. Only ~9000 bottles a year makes it hard to pass up if you come across it, doesn't hurt that the CabSav, Shiraz, & Port have all turned out pretty great and distinctive.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I highly recommend the Port cask Red, it's fantastic.

Meowenstein
Aug 5, 2013
I had the Glenfarclas 105 a few days ago. It's my favorite Scotch at this point with intense dark chocolate, nuts, and prunes on the nose and palate. Is their 12 year old a good facsimile of this? The 12 year old is more affordable and readily available in my area. Is there anything else in a similar vein I should look at?

Allantois
May 18, 2006
Aint nuttin but a RadioSkank
I have an unopened bottle of the shiraz red. I think I've had a bottle of the cab before and liked it - all I know is Longrow Red rocks.
Never tried the Port but I love port finished whiskey, it's probably the best of the three. Longrow red can be hard to find and pretty expensive though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Saw a news blurb that Silver Trail Distillery in Kentucky exploded. Never heard of them before.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

wormil posted:

Saw a news blurb that Silver Trail Distillery in Kentucky exploded. Never heard of them before.

quote:

Silver Trail Distillery opened in 2011. It's been featured on Discovery Channel's "Moonshiners" series and has won taste awards.

I could draw some conclusions here.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Their only product that I know of is "LBL Moonshine" and their homepage has a guy wearing what I can only describe as Hot Topic Cowboy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well if they opened in 2011 then 2014 would be at the earliest they could start selling bourbon. This because the minimum age for it to be legally allowed to be sold as bourbon whiskey is 3 years. Maybe give it a funny name like barely legal bourbon. But it wouldn't be very good at all so if they want to keep their name as a quality craft distiller they probably wouldn't have brought out a bourbon so soon.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Next week my roommates and I are taking a week long road trip and hitting up KY distilleries is a must. We're already planning on Buffalo Trace. Any other good ones to visit near Frankfort?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Halloween Jack posted:

Their only product that I know of is "LBL Moonshine" and their homepage has a guy wearing what I can only describe as Hot Topic Cowboy.

That's Richard Petty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Petty

Oh wait maybe not... hah I don't know what's up with that dude then.

spankmeister posted:

Well if they opened in 2011 then 2014 would be at the earliest they could start selling bourbon. This because the minimum age for it to be legally allowed to be sold as bourbon whiskey is 3 years. Maybe give it a funny name like barely legal bourbon. But it wouldn't be very good at all so if they want to keep their name as a quality craft distiller they probably wouldn't have brought out a bourbon so soon.

They were only selling moonshine and some derivatives of it (Apple Pie etc) for now. I imagine they probably had a lot of that aging for bourbon when it blew up so that is pretty sad.

That Works fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 26, 2015

Meowenstein
Aug 5, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Actually to be straight bourbon it only has to be aged for at least two years. Any straight whiskey under two years has to have its age disclosed on the bottle somewhere. If it's just bourbon and not straight, it only has to see wood, there's no minimum aging requirement.

And regards to the Elijah Craig label picture earlier, I've heard from resources I trust that it is legit. Here's an article discussing it: http://fredminnick.com/heaven-hill-drops-one-age-statement-moves-another-to-the-back/

Whether or not you believe they're just moving the age statement to the back for aesthetic reasons is up to you.

Meowenstein fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 26, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Next week my roommates and I are taking a week long road trip and hitting up KY distilleries is a must. We're already planning on Buffalo Trace. Any other good ones to visit near Frankfort?

I did BT, WT, Woodford, all worth it. WT smells like heaven from 1/4 mile away and was my favorite tour. BT is a good contrast because it's modern and technical compared to WT's old school approach. Woodford cost money and is a shorter tour, skipable. Four Roses is also there but I didn't make it before they closed.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm in Memphis for a month and my friend asked me to bring her some Tennessee Whiskey (or Moonshine). I'm a beer person, and know jack poo poo about whiskey, so does anyone know of any good local whiskey (or Moonshine) I can get?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm in Memphis for a month and my friend asked me to bring her some Tennessee Whiskey (or Moonshine). I'm a beer person, and know jack poo poo about whiskey, so does anyone know of any good local whiskey (or Moonshine) I can get?

Jack Daniel's is considered Tennessee whiskey. If it was good enough for the Chairman of the Board to be buried with, it's good enough for your friend :-).

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Meowenstein posted:

I had the Glenfarclas 105 a few days ago. It's my favorite Scotch at this point with intense dark chocolate, nuts, and prunes on the nose and palate. Is their 12 year old a good facsimile of this? The 12 year old is more affordable and readily available in my area. Is there anything else in a similar vein I should look at?

Not really imo, although the 'farclas 12 is a fine dram in its own right. I think you should hunt out a cask strength Glendronach.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Neo_Crimson posted:

Nothing local to Memphis; Ghost River and Wiseacre both have breweries there (for beer).

Jack Daniels and George Dickel are both TN sour mash whiskeys. Ole Smoky Moonshine is pretty good as well; their apple pie moonshine is one of my favorites. Put it in the freezer and it's like drinking an apple pie. There's also Popcorn Sutton's Moonshine, which is enjoyable, but can come across as kind of trendy. It's all pretty much available nationally, so there's not a whole lot of uniqueness to it. Unless you get some actual moonshine, of course. :v:

I'm enjoying some George Dickel no 8 right now. It's good by itself or mixed; it's not quite as sour as Jack Daniels and a little more smooth.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anyone tried the CVS brand bourbon Jethro T Boots? One of my friends swears by it for his cheap whiskey since it's only 8 bucks or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Finally opened my Rittenhouse bonded rye, decided to take a few sips neat and hoo boy this is really tasty. Can't describe it exactly, but I really liked it and am looking forward to mixing old fashioneds or manhattans with it.

...it's surprisingly hard to find time to sit down and sip whiskey with a 2 month old now in the house.