Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Convergence seems to be doing okay, at least the main (e: and if BC retailer polls are worth a drat? I dunno.) Anyone have experience from their retail stores?
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/06/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-5th-april-2015/
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/15/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-14th-april-2015-darth-vader-beats-convergence/
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/04/19/bleeding-cool-bestseller-list-19th-april-2014-convergence-surges/
I'd have imagined a drop off after ish #1 exposed it's Earth 2 focus above the broad concept.

Marvel do seem to be having pretty light weeks of counter-programming leading up to Secret Wars. The only non-Convergence book I'm gonna buy this week is Squirrel Girl.

e: Not to pat them on the back for a job well done on their extremely average comic. Kelley Jones Swamp Thing this week, though :D
e: and not to spark company wars by being curious about Convergence sales, though that's unavoidable.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

My story, which is a DC heavy store, has sold out of every mini and has had to reorder. The owner said he's selling more issues of the miniseries than he ever sells of the regular series featuring the same characters. So it's been a really unexpected success for them. People seem to understand what's going on with Convergence much better than with Secret Wars, which doesn't have many advance orders/pulls.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dunbar posted:

People seem to understand what's going on with Convergence much better than with Secret Wars, which doesn't have many advance orders/pulls.
Probably because DC clearly explained what Convergence is and what follows after it, while Marvel is still not willfully telling people how much of an effect Secret Wars is going to have after it's over other than "it's not a reboot but 616 is over forever."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh god, I hope Marvel and DC aren't just switching places on the awesome/terrible scale. I wanted DC to get better, but not by draining Marvel's good!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

Oh god, I hope Marvel and DC aren't just switching places on the awesome/terrible scale. I wanted DC to get better, but not by draining Marvel's good!

I'm excited as hell about their post-SW Kamala Khan starring Mark Waid Avengers!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

My story, which is a DC heavy store, has sold out of every mini and has had to reorder. The owner said he's selling more issues of the miniseries than he ever sells of the regular series featuring the same characters. So it's been a really unexpected success for them. People seem to understand what's going on with Convergence much better than with Secret Wars, which doesn't have many advance orders/pulls.

We had about 12 people come in and preorder the entire event at the last minute and I had to have copies of some books direct shipped just to have any to sell on release day.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

lotus circle posted:

Probably because DC clearly explained what Convergence is and what follows after it, while Marvel is still not willfully telling people how much of an effect Secret Wars is going to have after it's over other than "it's not a reboot but 616 is over forever."

I don't know, the fact that they said that it was a DC heavy store sounds more probable to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

I don't know, the fact that they said that it was a DC heavy store sounds more probable to me.

I hate shops that lean to one company over another. There's a lovely little shop in Kokomo that until two years ago wouldn't carry Image comics because the owner hated Spawn.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

It's DC heavy in the sense that they sell more DC stuff, not stock more. They stock everything evenly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

It's DC heavy in the sense that they sell more DC stuff, not stock more. They stock everything evenly.

We don't really give a poo poo which company sells more these days, we're stocking more of everything.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm excited as hell about their post-SW Kamala Khan starring Mark Waid Avengers!

I was excited for a lot of stuff before they actually hit the stands in 2011.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dunbar posted:

Yeah that's what I mean. If you have a customer base that leans heavily towards one publisher over the other, it makes sense that one would have higher preorders for the big summer event.

Also, the only reason people know what effect Convergence is going to have is because it is over next month and those books have already been solicited. Secret Wars doesn't end until December.

Rhyno posted:

I hate shops that lean to one company over another. There's a lovely little shop in Kokomo that until two years ago wouldn't carry Image comics because the owner hated Spawn.
That is loving hilarious. Stores like that are what is going to drive more people digital.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 19, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

That sounds like a hero to me.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

lotus circle posted:

The reason for this is mainly that DC had to solicit post-Convergence comics before Convergence actually got published, since it's only a two month thing. Also Convergence is basically a thing thrown together to cover two months of moving across the country. Also Divergence doesn't really 'do' anything besides change some branding to any of their current publishing line outside of (I guess) Earth-2.

Meanwhile Secret Wars hasn't even shipped its first issue yet and will run probably until the end of the year. I'm not really sure why people are so annoyed Marvel hasn't spoiled/spelled out what is happening in their January 2016 comic books yet, but "this is not a reboot" and "the universe is destroyed" aren't really mutually exclusive in cosmic event comics. The 'real' DC/Marvel Universe got destroyed in Crisis on Infinite Earths and Flashpoint and Infinity Gauntlet and Zero Hour and Age of Apocalypse and House of M and DC vs. Marvel and Final Crisis and Worlds Collide and Rotworld and probably half a dozen other stories I'm forgetting, and like 2.1 of those events resulted in anything you could call a "reboot". But advance marketing for these events aren't usually "Oh yeah I mean everything is going to go back to normal, no one's really getting killed or altered, don't worry."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm listening to the CBR Convergence interviews just now, and there's some really neat old stories like Len Wein and Marv Wolfman going over to Jack Kirby's for milk and cookies as kids.
Particularly illuminating is Dan Didio getting the advice from Julius Schwatz when he first started to give the DC Universe an enema every decade or so.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/conversations-of-convergence-didio-wein-talk-jack-kirby-at-dc-mega-events-more-2015

e: I wanna see Jack Kirby with a lovely beard a lot.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 20, 2015

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm listening to the CBR Convergence interviews just now, and there's some really neat old stories like Len Wein and Marv Wolfman going over to Jack Kirby's for milk and cookies as kids.

Aww. Jack Kirby is such a cool guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

That sounds like a hero to me.

Keep in mind, no Saga, no Walking Dead, no Invincible. Dude was a doof. Thankfully he hired a guy to turn it around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Keep in mind, no Saga, no Walking Dead, no Invincible. Dude was a doof. Thankfully he hired a guy to turn it around.

I was being facetious, obviously that kind of attitude is terrible for customers. But I do hate Spawn.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I was being facetious, obviously that kind of attitude is terrible for customers. But I do hate Spawn.

McFarlane is my all time favorite Spider-Man artist, but I cannot stand any of his original work. It's a shame, the stuff he did at Marvel was pretty incredible at times. I really love that famous web cover.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

McFarlane is my all time favorite Spider-Man artist, but I cannot stand any of his original work. It's a shame, the stuff he did at Marvel was pretty incredible at times. I really love that famous web cover.

Welcome back

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is it welcome back when they were gone for like 5 minutes

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
I've been reading through new-52 Flash in trades; when does it get bad? I just noticed the newest one I bough – volume 4 – doesn't have Francis Manapul on art any more. Should I have bailed a volume ago?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alouicious posted:

is it welcome back when they were gone for like 5 minutes

The better question I should have asked is, how is Mike Weiringo not your favorite Spider-Man artist of all time.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
First batch of solicits for July

I don't care for Batgirl but the annual featuring Spyral sounds interesting as hell.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 20, 2015

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I know I'm looking at a picture of Buzzcut Tshirt Superman on a motorcycle but my brain refuses to process this.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
There are going to be so many Harley appearances in the lead-up to the SS movie.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

hmm I mostly like Wonder Woman's new costume but I'm so sick of seeing those high collars

DudeDeuce
Feb 2, 2003
The MAN

PantsOptional posted:

I know I'm looking at a picture of Buzzcut Tshirt Superman on a motorcycle but my brain refuses to process this.

I thought it couldn't get any worse than New 52 Kryptonian armor Superman. I hate being wrong.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Harime Nui posted:

I'm so sick of seeing those high collars

Only, t-shirt Superman should totally be turtleneck Superman instead.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I would be totally down for Superman wearing a knitted turtleneck and a giant gold amulet with his symbol hanging from the neck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXHnoOJ7wHQ&t=22s

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

More Convergence week 3 previews

Green Lantern Corps
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2015/04/20/preview-monday-convergence-the-green-lantern-corps-1-and-effigy-4

Swamp Thing
http://comicbook.com/2015/04/20/exclusive-dc-comics-preview-convergence-swamp-thing-1/

Wonder Woman
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/convergence-wonder-woman-1-dc-comics-2015

I like the look of these three.
I hope ST is full of plenty more descriptions like "A shambling, muck-encrusted mockery of a man"

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 20, 2015

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

paulnewmanseyes posted:

I've been reading through new-52 Flash in trades; when does it get bad? I just noticed the newest one I bough – volume 4 – doesn't have Francis Manapul on art any more. Should I have bailed a volume ago?

Pretty much. It's a solid comic under Manapul/Bucellato; it goes straight in the shitter when Venditti/Jansen/Booth take over.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Volume 4 is still written by Manapul and buccellato so it's a decent story and the issue with Hal and Barry together is really funny. Don't read anymore volumes though cause their run ends at v4

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Looks like a big time Superman crossover will start in July. Action, Batman/Superman and Superman/Wonder Woman all have the same arc listed. Wonder what that's about.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dunbar posted:

Looks like a big time Superman crossover will start in July. Action, Batman/Superman and Superman/Wonder Woman all have the same arc listed. Wonder what that's about.

I'd be willing to be it has to do with what we learn in the Divergence one shot on FCBD.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Harime Nui posted:

hmm I mostly like Wonder Woman's new costume but I'm so sick of seeing those high collars

That face is GARBAGE. Where is she looking? What expression is she supposed to have? Why are her eyes so close together?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
she's saying SAAAAAAAAAVE a bundle at your local SEARS!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Where is all this glass coming from? Did they both just launch out of a skylight? Did a pane of glass just fall on them???

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
D-David Finch? A bad artist??!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think Finch's eyes are the worst thing.
In Forever Evil he drew Lex Luthor with these big soggy baby blues all the time. It was really disquieting.

• Locked thread