Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

EightBit posted:

Can you fuckers use variable names or something? Generic English pronouns don't work for this poo poo.

They are taking the piss.

Or is that :thejoke:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Degree
Jan 27, 2006

I can't even pretend to understand what you guys are talking about right now (except for the thing about newfies), but I've got an unrelated question. I have to drive from BC to Nova Scotia this summer, but since I don't have any real time pressure I thought I would do it by way of some aviation museums and attractions in the States. I can't really justify going too far south, which seems to have eliminated a lot of the good ones, but I'm thinking of hitting the Strategic Air and Space Museum and the National Museum of the Air Force, as well as Udvar-Hazy. There also seem to be a lot of possibilities in New York, of which the Intrepid and the American Air Power Museum stand out.

This will be my first time visiting any aviation museums. I've been following this thread since drat near the beginning, but I didn't expect to get a chance to see anything pictured up close and now that I have this opportunity I'd like to make the most of it. Are these the best choices? What am I missing? None of my plans are set in stone just yet, so if I need to go a little out of the way to see something cool, that's no problem. My only limit is my ability to justify the expenses.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dayton and Udvar Hazy are so far beyond anything else in the US that it's not worth stressing over. There are at best, four or five comparable facilities in the entire world (Duxford, Monino, ?,?,?).

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 19, 2015

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

sofullofhate posted:

It's both - they're taking the piss while explaining things correctly.

Are there better ways to word it? Yes.

Is it as fun? No.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
If you're going to be in New York, check for Old Rhinebeck flying days.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

sofullofhate posted:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Linedance posted:

Or as the newfies say, stay where you're to and I'll come where you're at

When you reach the fork in the road, take it.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Degree posted:

I can't even pretend to understand what you guys are talking about right now (except for the thing about newfies), but I've got an unrelated question. I have to drive from BC to Nova Scotia this summer, but since I don't have any real time pressure I thought I would do it by way of some aviation museums and attractions in the States. I can't really justify going too far south, which seems to have eliminated a lot of the good ones, but I'm thinking of hitting the Strategic Air and Space Museum and the National Museum of the Air Force, as well as Udvar-Hazy. There also seem to be a lot of possibilities in New York, of which the Intrepid and the American Air Power Museum stand out.

This will be my first time visiting any aviation museums. I've been following this thread since drat near the beginning, but I didn't expect to get a chance to see anything pictured up close and now that I have this opportunity I'd like to make the most of it. Are these the best choices? What am I missing? None of my plans are set in stone just yet, so if I need to go a little out of the way to see something cool, that's no problem. My only limit is my ability to justify the expenses.

Boeing Museum of Flight, Tillamook Air Museum, and Evergreen Aviation Museum are all pretty awesome and only 6-7 hours south of BC at the most.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Degree posted:

I have to drive from BC to Nova Scotia this summer, but since I don't have any real time pressure I thought I would do it by way of some aviation museums and attractions in the States. I can't really justify going too far south, which seems to have eliminated a lot of the good ones, but I'm thinking of hitting the Strategic Air and Space Museum and the National Museum of the Air Force, as well as Udvar-Hazy.
Air Force museum in Dayton, Ohio.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Why is this carrier going the wrong direction? Shouldnt it be going into the wind? Is it trying to dodge an exocet?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Degree posted:

Depending where in BC, the Museum of Flight in Seattle is a heck of a lot closer to the border than either Udvar-Hazy or Dayton and absolutely worth a visit.

That said, if you do make it to Udvar-Hazy you're doing yourself an absolute disservice by not taking a day and going to the Air and Space Museum on the mall.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Degree posted:

some aviation museums

If you end up nearby, the USS Hornet museum in San Francisco is a fun afternoon. It's not as good as the Midway in San Diego, so I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but San Francisco is cool to see for other reasons, and after that you're on roughly the right latitude for the Dayton Air Force museum.

Lilbeefer posted:

Why is this carrier going the wrong direction? Shouldnt it be going into the wind? Is it trying to dodge an exocet?

Only when it's launching or recovering, which it doesn't appear to be doing there.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
The Museum of the Air Force in Dayton shares some good stuff on facebook. Here's a look from last week at the new hangar they're building. Hanoi Taxi and about eight other planes are parked outside at the bottom right.

B-25 Panchito landed at the base this week carrying the Doolittle Raiders Congressional Gold Medal. The medal is now on display inside.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is the value of the air strip so little that they would build the only permanent struture directly on the runway? That seems kind of silly when they could just move it 40' to the left or right and still have a functional emergency airstrip. I doubt we'll get invaded anytime soon, but someone in 20 years is going to seriously facepalm that decision.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

The Twinkie Czar posted:

The Museum of the Air Force in Dayton shares some good stuff on facebook. Here's a look from last week at the new hangar they're building. Hanoi Taxi and about eight other planes are parked outside at the bottom right.

B-25 Panchito landed at the base this week carrying the Doolittle Raiders Congressional Gold Medal. The medal is now on display inside.

I had no idea they were building a 4th hangar. Glad to see that the XB-70 will be on more public display. Looks like I have 2016 plans...probably also 2015 plans.

Hadlock posted:

Is the value of the air strip so little that they would build the only permanent struture directly on the runway? That seems kind of silly when they could just move it 40' to the left or right and still have a functional emergency airstrip. I doubt we'll get invaded anytime soon, but someone in 20 years is going to seriously facepalm that decision.

It is a mile from a proper AFB. No lack of empty space, or airstrips in southern Ohio. https://goo.gl/maps/5RfTa

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 19, 2015

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Found this neat little documentary about the F5. I have a real soft spot for the F5, its lines are just so perfect and it looks fast as hell sitting on teh tarmac.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvDfs6s4tbA

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Slo-Tek posted:

I had no idea they were building a 4th hangar. Glad to see that the XB-70 will be on more public display. Looks like I have 2016 plans...probably also 2015 plans.

For anyone who hasn't been, don't hesitate to go this year and before the expansion opens. There's already so much awesome stuff that you never have enough time to see it all. The year it opens is probably going to be a mixed experience. Seeing half assembled exhibits while the staff plays tetris to move aircraft between hangars and hearing related stories from docents should be cool. But the big jump in tourist attendance might make it too crowded.

Here's a view from around 1997. They may have facepalmed 45 years ago when the highway and neighborhood developement had already prevented them from expanding and modernizing. That was also a time when leaving aircraft out in the weather seemed like a good idea. Parking cars and planes on the same unused strip probably seemed pretty clever.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The tour guy in the R&D Hangar said that wheeling the XB-70 over to the new hangar will probably be a big public spectacle, so keep a lookup for any announcements for that. I'm glad it will have some more breathing room since the current location is so jam packed with (insane) aircraft you can barely get a clear shot of the Valkyrie let alone get a good feel for it.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

I saw an honest to god 727 in AA livery at KBFI. What the hell?

Seattle is full of odd planes sometimes.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Hadlock posted:

lol

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Twinkie Czar posted:

Here's a view from around 1997.

Thats the last time I was there. :(

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Worthleast posted:

I saw an honest to god 727 in AA livery at KBFI. What the hell?

Seattle is full of odd planes sometimes.

AA donated it to the Museum of Flight in 2003 and it's out there waiting for them to find a place to put it while construction is underway, I believe.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Degree posted:

Having just visited the Strategic Air and Space Museum, it wasn't that great. The B-1 they have was shoved out back to rot, as well as the Avro Vulcan. The U-2 is hanging from the roof so you can't get a good look at anything but the bottom of it really. The only reason I went is because 1) I was stuck in Lincoln, NE for the weekend, and B) it crosses another SR-71 off the list for me.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

Boeing Museum of Flight, Tillamook Air Museum, and Evergreen Aviation Museum are all pretty awesome and only 6-7 hours south of BC at the most.

Throw in Paul Allens personal collection at The Flying Heritage Museum in Everett. Mainly warbirds, but many of them fly on specific weekends.
http://www.flyingheritage.com/

I plan on being there for TankFest on May 25 and probably SkyFest in July.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Found this neat little documentary about the F5. I have a real soft spot for the F5, its lines are just so perfect and it looks fast as hell sitting on teh tarmac.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvDfs6s4tbA

I got to see the MCAS Miramar F5 aggressor squadron back in December, and they were painted in some of the coolest schemes ever.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You realize that airlines fly different sized planes, right? This is extremely simplified, but at a high level the 777 costs more to operate than a 787, and if you can't fill the 777 (say, San Francisco to Chengdu or something like that), you use a smaller aircraft on the route. The 787 is mostly replacing 767s.

Actually, I didn't, I live here in Dallas where the whole world revolves around 737's (Southwest Airlines HQ). Every time there's more demand at a city, they just throw more 737's at it, and if a route is overserved, they just make up for the difference in maintenance efficency (or so I've been told). The Ryanair planes I've flown on in Europe seem to do the same thing. Spirit also flies out of Dallas on almost exclusively A320's and A321's (domestic and international) which seem like euro-737s.

Based on my environment I sort of assumed that they would just fly all 777's + whatever legacy aircraft until the legacy aircraft aged out. I guess if you're flying 7000 miles @ $400 in fuel per seat, and your flight is 20% empty that's a big deal? Coming from an all low-cost carrier environment, on the surface anyways, it would seem to make sense to just standardize on one type of plane for long hauls. Which is why I'm confused about so much overlap between the 777 and 787.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Actually, I didn't, I live here in Dallas where the whole world revolves around 737's (Southwest Airlines HQ). Every time there's more demand at a city, they just throw more 737's at it, and if a route is overserved, they just make up for the difference in maintenance efficency (or so I've been told). The Ryanair planes I've flown on in Europe seem to do the same thing. Spirit also flies out of Dallas on almost exclusively A320's and A321's (domestic and international) which seem like euro-737s.

Based on my environment I sort of assumed that they would just fly all 777's + whatever legacy aircraft until the legacy aircraft aged out. I guess if you're flying 7000 miles @ $400 in fuel per seat, and your flight is 20% empty that's a big deal? Coming from an all low-cost carrier environment, on the surface anyways, it would seem to make sense to just standardize on one type of plane for long hauls. Which is why I'm confused about so much overlap between the 777 and 787.

You know a (next gen) "737" can carry between 108 and 220 people and has a range of anywhere from about 2500-6000nm. Southwest has a standardized fleet but they fly 4 different variants which have about a 50 seat difference between them. Optimization of routing, aircraft selection, and so on is something airlines are constantly working on.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

DJCobol posted:

Having just visited the Strategic Air and Space Museum, it wasn't that great. The B-1 they have was shoved out back to rot, as well as the Avro Vulcan. The U-2 is hanging from the roof so you can't get a good look at anything but the bottom of it really. The only reason I went is because 1) I was stuck in Lincoln, NE for the weekend, and B) it crosses another SR-71 off the list for me.

How long ago were you there? Last time I was there (a year or two back) both the B-1 (which is a no kidding B-1A, in case that interests anyone) and the Vulcan were in a hangar (the one that doesn't have the B-36 and BUFF) and actually were pretty dominant in that particular hangar...so I'm kind of curious what they replaced those two aircraft with in the hangar space. When I was there the only major item they had rotting outside out back was the Looking Glass, and apparently now they've finally pulled it inside and gotten started on restoring it.

Degree, normally I'd recommend the Strategic Air and Space Museum to people because it is a decent museum that has some pretty cool airplanes (one of the few B-36s on display, right next to a BUFF so you can really get a size comparison, B-58, XF-85, Vulcan, SR-71, U-2, couple of other not so rare but cool planes like a C-119, FB-111A, and a B-57)...but if you're going to the other big museums (AF Museum in Wright-Pat, Udvar-Hazy) then there's really not much you're going to see at the Strategic Air and Space Museum that you aren't going to see elsewhere. The biggest thing I can think of off the top of my head is the Vulcan; it's only on display at two other locations in the US (at the former Castle AFB Museum southeast of the Bay Area in CA and Barksdale AFB in Louisiana). Outside of that the only other Vulcans are all on display in the UK other than one that's at CFB Goose Bay in Labrador. So if you really want to see a Vulcan and aren't going to be able to get to Goose Bay then check out the Museum in Nebraska but otherwise I'd pass unless your travel takes you right by it in which case it's worth a couple hour stop over from traveling on I-80.

Dannywilson posted:

I got to see the MCAS Miramar F5 aggressor squadron back in December, and they were painted in some of the coolest schemes ever.

Aggressor squadrons in general have some cool paint schemes but the USN/USMC aggressors take it to a whole 'nother level.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How the gently caress did a Vulcan end up in Goose Bay of all places?

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

Degree, normally I'd recommend the Strategic Air and Space Museum to people because it is a decent museum that has some pretty cool airplanes (one of the few B-36s on display, right next to a BUFF so you can really get a size comparison, B-58, XF-85, Vulcan, SR-71, U-2, couple of other not so rare but cool planes like a C-119, FB-111A, and a B-57)...but if you're going to the other big museums (AF Museum in Wright-Pat, Udvar-Hazy) then there's really not much you're going to see at the Strategic Air and Space Museum that you aren't going to see elsewhere. The biggest thing I can think of off the top of my head is the Vulcan; it's only on display at two other locations in the US (at the former Castle AFB Museum southeast of the Bay Area in CA and Barksdale AFB in Louisiana). Outside of that the only other Vulcans are all on display in the UK other than one that's at CFB Goose Bay in Labrador. So if you really want to see a Vulcan and aren't going to be able to get to Goose Bay then check out the Museum in Nebraska but otherwise I'd pass unless your travel takes you right by it in which case it's worth a couple hour stop over from traveling on I-80.

Castle also has a B-36, which really is just a loving massive plane. I'd heard it was big, but until you actually see one in person, you have no context for it. It's some next level poo poo. The top of the rudder is 46' off the ground.

Totally forgot they have a Vulcan there, though. Figured I would've remembered that one :britain:

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Slo-Tek posted:

It is a mile from a proper AFB. No lack of empty space, or airstrips in southern Ohio. https://goo.gl/maps/5RfTa

To expand further, since I used to be stationed there, the part of the base that the museum is on is the old Wright Field half of Wright-Patterson AFB, what they call Area B now. Those runways are inactive and have been for decades. (closed to jet traffic in 1958 according to Wikipedia) I used to see RC pilots using one of them on weekends, and many of the taxiways and aprons are roads and parking lots now. That pic of the B-25 is from the main part of the base (former Patterson Field, built next to/on top of Huffman Prairie where the Wright Bros did a lot of their initial flying) that they call Area A/C. Area A is south of the flightline and is the main part of the base, area C is the north side which has that large hangar you can see in the back of the B-25 picture - used for C-5's when I was there, now C-17's.

Degree
Jan 27, 2006

This is all great information, thanks! I'm planning a full day in Dayton, and I'm thinking at least a couple days in DC. Does a day each at Udvar-Hazy and the Air and Space Museum seem right? It sounds like I may not need that much time at the Strategic Air and Space museum though, if I stop at all. While I'd love to see the Vulcan, are there better options between Wyoming and Ohio? I'm thinking of coming down through Yellowstone, since Boeing Field is really a day trip from Vancouver and the rest of the west coast attractions like San Francisco really deserve their own trip. Strategic Air and Space got on my list since it's (roughly) on the way, but it's by no means a necessity.

Also,

Ardeem posted:

If you're going to be in New York, check for Old Rhinebeck flying days.

This is the sort of thing that wouldn't have occurred to me. It looks like they fly every weekend, so it shouldn't be hard to be there at the right time.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Degree posted:

This is all great information, thanks! I'm planning a full day in Dayton, and I'm thinking at least a couple days in DC. Does a day each at Udvar-Hazy and the Air and Space Museum seem right? It sounds like I may not need that much time at the Strategic Air and Space museum though, if I stop at all. While I'd love to see the Vulcan, are there better options between Wyoming and Ohio? I'm thinking of coming down through Yellowstone, since Boeing Field is really a day trip from Vancouver and the rest of the west coast attractions like San Francisco really deserve their own trip. Strategic Air and Space got on my list since it's (roughly) on the way, but it's by no means a necessity.

Also,

This is the sort of thing that wouldn't have occurred to me. It looks like they fly every weekend, so it shouldn't be hard to be there at the right time.

I honestly can't think of anything better than Strategic Air and Space between Wyoming and Ohio...like I said, it's not a world-class museum in the US like Wright-Pat or the NASM/Udvar-Hazy, but it's still in the top tier of US museums, so if your travels are going to take you through NE I'd still budget at least half a day to a full day for the Strategic Air and Space museum. Depending on your travel plans, I'd plan on spending the night in Lincoln and then driving the half an hour to the museum, spending 4-6 hours there, and then spending the night in Omaha or maybe driving through to Des Moines depending on how much time you decide to spend at the museum. Omaha is going to have a lot more to offer from "things to do at night/dinner/bars/etc" than Des Moines but it's only another 30-45 minutes down the road from the museum so it's really only worth it if you spend 6+ hrs in the museum, otherwise timeline wise it probably makes more sense to drive on to Des Moines.

If you do plan on stopping in Omaha let me know, it's my hometown so I can point you in the direction of some decent restaurants/bars/etc.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Degree posted:

Does a day each at Udvar-Hazy and the Air and Space Museum seem right?

Yes, there's too much in both and they're too far apart to entertain doing both in a single day. If you're hoteling in DC and will be visiting during the work week, you may want to do NASM first and then U-H second so that you'd be driving out of the city during the morning rush.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Just a head's up - Yellowstone is really, really crowded in the summer. If there's any animal larger than a chipmunk near the road, there will be a two mile traffic jam caused by people stopping in the middle of the road to take pictures. If you want to get a good view of Old Faithful, show up immediately after it erupts because the seating area fills up fast. If you wanna get souvenirs, watch out for the obnoxious, rude touristy types to cut in the miles-long checkout lines. Budget 2/3 of your time just for getting around the park. It's a beautiful place with fascinating stuff, don't get me wrong, but it's one of the most overcrowded national parks in the States.

If you do decide to stop in Yellowstone, I recommend just staying on I-90 and going to see Devil's Tower and the Badlands. They're seriously stunning landscapes. For aerospace stuff, you can visit Minuteman National Monument in the Black Hills area, if you wanna tour an ICBM launch site. Then just follow 90 east to Chicago, get you some deep dish pizza before shooting down to Dayton, then hit up the Air and Space Museum and Udvar-Hazy in DC. I don't see much point in shooting further south to Nebraska, I don't think you'd be missing too much going to the museum there if you can hit Dayton.

vv Yeah. I've been there but didn't think it was worth mentioning. Really the only exhibit I can think of that you wouldn't see in Dayton or DC is the first manned ballon and pagoda system to ascend past 100,000 feet.

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 20, 2015

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
There's a museum in Rapid City, SD as well. Just off Ellsworth AFB. Not huge but its just off the interstate.

http://www.sdairandspacemuseum.com/

Degree
Jan 27, 2006

iyaayas01 posted:

If you do plan on stopping in Omaha let me know, it's my hometown so I can point you in the direction of some decent restaurants/bars/etc.
Thanks, I might take you up on that.

Midjack posted:

Yes, there's too much in both and they're too far apart to entertain doing both in a single day. If you're hoteling in DC and will be visiting during the work week, you may want to do NASM first and then U-H second so that you'd be driving out of the city during the morning rush.
Good call on the traffic, I think that's what I'll end up doing.

Venusian Weasel posted:

Just a head's up - Yellowstone is really, really crowded in the summer. If there's any animal larger than a chipmunk near the road, there will be a two mile traffic jam caused by people stopping in the middle of the road to take pictures. If you want to get a good view of Old Faithful, show up immediately after it erupts because the seating area fills up fast. If you wanna get souvenirs, watch out for the obnoxious, rude touristy types to cut in the miles-long checkout lines. Budget 2/3 of your time just for getting around the park. It's a beautiful place with fascinating stuff, don't get me wrong, but it's one of the most overcrowded national parks in the States.

If you do decide to stop in Yellowstone, I recommend just staying on I-90 and going to see Devil's Tower and the Badlands. They're seriously stunning landscapes. For aerospace stuff, you can visit Minuteman National Monument in the Black Hills area, if you wanna tour an ICBM launch site. Then just follow 90 east to Chicago, get you some deep dish pizza before shooting down to Dayton, then hit up the Air and Space Museum and Udvar-Hazy in DC. I don't see much point in shooting further south to Nebraska, I don't think you'd be missing too much going to the museum there if you can hit Dayton.

Now that you mention it, it makes sense that Yellowstone would be packed. I'll have to decide if the crowds are worth checking that particular box on my list of "typical tourist" things to do. The ICBM tour sounds cool too, but I might save Chicago for the drive back (mainly through Canada) because gently caress northern Ontario.

Just a thought from further south, does anyone have an opinion of the Kansas Cosmosphere and Space Center? It looks like it would be a good stop, but I don't know if there's too much overlap with DC to make the trip down worthwhile.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

FrozenVent posted:

How the gently caress did a Vulcan end up in Goose Bay of all places?

Worlds longest, most depressing fuel stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

otaku69
May 18, 2003

iyaayas01 posted:

How long ago were you there? Last time I was there (a year or two back) both the B-1 (which is a no kidding B-1A, in case that interests anyone) and the Vulcan were in a hangar (the one that doesn't have the B-36 and BUFF) and actually were pretty dominant in that particular hangar...so I'm kind of curious what they replaced those two aircraft with in the hangar space. When I was there the only major item they had rotting outside out back was the Looking Glass, and apparently now they've finally pulled it inside and gotten started on restoring it.

Aggressor squadrons in general have some cool paint schemes but the USN/USMC aggressors take it to a whole 'nother level.

do not forget they also have one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_XF-85_Goblin