Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

I have moved to the great lakes area and I'm debating cable or satellite. Having never had a dish, does it really go out when it rains or snows? Or is covered in snow and ice? Or have I fallen for marketing?

The answer to this depends a lot on the link budget and weather margin at your location, which you won't be able to find out beforehand. If you're at higher latitudes, the low elevation angle to the GSO can mean a large storm south of you causes outages due to the effective length of the storm along the line-of-sight to the satellite. Whereas looking UP through a rainstorm gets only a couple thousand feet of rain for the signal to traverse, at a look angle like 25-35 degrees, the signal may have to go through tens of miles of storm. That can mean a lot of dB.

If you're desperate to find out, you're going to need to ask people in your area/state how often they have interruptions. Here in MA it was a probably monthly or every other month thing during the summer, ranging from 30 seconds to maybe 10 minutes very rarely.

Snow (storm or buildup) won't affect it, only rain or built up ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's come to my attention that something seems to be wrong with my idea of how videos and films and poo poo work.

Alright so when you're makin a movie and you shoot it in 24 frames per second it looks like a film movie because that's what pictures looks like when you shoot them at that amount of frames per second. So when Peter Jackson decides he wants to make his movies look bad he shoots them at 48 frames per second and it looks all weird and wrong because there's too many frames per second and nobody's used to it looking like that.

So that all makes sense enough to me, but I know a guy who got a new TV with like a refresh rate of a jillion hertz or something and now everything that you see on it looks like it's got way to many frames per second and it looks all wrong and weird. How does that happen on a movie that was shot in 24 frames per second in the first place? surely the TV is not able to create extra frames inbetween there so why's it look all hosed up?

e: unrelated question: You know that thing on the youtube videos when the video is super long so when you put your mouse over the scroll bar it gives you another smaller scroll bar to more precisely scroll through the video more precisely? How come that only shows up sometimes but not always. I've seen videos where it wouldn't show up that were over 2 hours and videos less than that long where it did show up. What's the deal?

ChairMaster fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 20, 2015

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

ChairMaster posted:

surely the TV is not able to create extra frames inbetween there
yep: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_interpolation

for the second question, I think that's only there for HD videos or videos that were uploaded after a certain date maybe. edit: just checked some videos and it's neither of those 2 things apparently. I dunno.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Apr 20, 2015

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

That's hosed up, can you turn it off on most TVs?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ChairMaster posted:

It's come to my attention that something seems to be wrong with my idea of how videos and films and poo poo work.

Alright so when you're makin a movie and you shoot it in 24 frames per second it looks like a film movie because that's what pictures looks like when you shoot them at that amount of frames per second. So when Peter Jackson decides he wants to make his movies look bad he shoots them at 48 frames per second and it looks all weird and wrong because there's too many frames per second and nobody's used to it looking like that.

No, it looks bad because people haven't gotten much experience shooting at 48 fps or other high frame rates while there's people with literally 50+ years of personal experience setting up lighting, framing, etc to match well with 24 fps shooting. Just like how a lot of early color movies look dreadful outside of the fact that early color film stock was also pretty bad at being preserved, or accurately replicating color. Or how a lot of early sound movies are just completely awful to watch/listen to.

Like, you can't just use lighting and cameras set up for 24 fps to work well with 48 fps, it's way too easy for it to result in things being poorly exposed or too bright, and the history of high frame rate movies has been very patchwork because frankly you couldn't reliably get actual high frame rate projection in the local movie theater until digital caught on, so very few movie makers even bothered to try. It'll look a lot better in like 10 years when people start getting experience in doing it across the movie industry (and we'll probably not use 48 fps, because the only reason he used it is to simplify converting the movie to 24 fps only projection. lots of planned high frame rate movie shooting will be 60 fps or even 120 fps (the 120 fps mostly for 3d movies, because it'll make them a lot less headache inducing and dark then you get with current low frame rate 3D movies).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

That's hosed up, can you turn it off on most TVs?

Yes, but you get used to it after a few days and most people like it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So there's a spider hanging out on my bathroom wall and it's been there for like 3 days. Sometimes I see it move around a bit but it's always somewhere on that one wall. This doesn't seem like a good survival strategy to me, like maybe make a web or something? My policy is that any spider smaller than my thumbnail is allowed to live in my house as long as it keeps its distance so I've just let it sit there but why doesn't it move it's rear end and get some food or something? Is it old and dying or just stupid or what?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ChairMaster posted:

So there's a spider hanging out on my bathroom wall and it's been there for like 3 days. Sometimes I see it move around a bit but it's always somewhere on that one wall. This doesn't seem like a good survival strategy to me, like maybe make a web or something? My policy is that any spider smaller than my thumbnail is allowed to live in my house as long as it keeps its distance so I've just let it sit there but why doesn't it move it's rear end and get some food or something? Is it old and dying or just stupid or what?

Thanks for the Charlotte's Web flashback you. horrible. monster.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey one other thing for the last 4 days I've been drinking like 4 cups of black tea and 3 cups of white tea per day, and I've also been getting diarrhoea, which is something that almost never happens to me. Nothing else in my diet has changed so assumedly it's the tea, and I know that caffeine can give you the runs, but even 4 cups of black tea and 3 cups of white tea only really adds up to like less than one cup's worth of coffee in terms of caffeine. I don't normally intake caffeine in anything at all, and I occasionally partake in an iced capp from Tim Hortons, and I never get anything like this so what's the deal. I mean some people drink like two litres of coffee per day, do I just have the weakest rear end stomach ever, and if so will it toughen the gently caress up eventually?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

FCKGW posted:

The gently caress? I know maybe one person who "likes" it, and by likes it I mean doesn't know any better.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Speak for yourself. I hate watching TVs with Motion Interpolation going on. All the TV is doing is adding extra garbage frames. You have a nice theater quality setup, and instead of just watching the movie the way it was meant to be seen, your TV is just sticking in extra made up frames for no particularly good reason.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
An update to the question I asked about my clogged garbage disposal:

I found some Drano and a plunger to see if I could get it working. When I started using the plunger, water started to spray everywhere - from the blow off valve and inside the sink. And then I looked underneath the sink and noticed a few small cracks on the garbage disposal where there was water leaking. So in addition to my disposal being clogged, there appears to be a few small cracks on it as well. I read that you could use plumbers glue and see if that works. Would this be the best fix?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

The gently caress? I know maybe one person who "likes" it, and by likes it I mean doesn't know any better.

At any point one thread in CD is derailing with tales of waiting for one's dad to leave the room so you can quickly switch it off. Apparently it's good for sports but makes films look wrong.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Busy Bee posted:

An update to the question I asked about my clogged garbage disposal:

I found some Drano and a plunger to see if I could get it working. When I started using the plunger, water started to spray everywhere - from the blow off valve and inside the sink. And then I looked underneath the sink and noticed a few small cracks on the garbage disposal where there was water leaking. So in addition to my disposal being clogged, there appears to be a few small cracks on it as well. I read that you could use plumbers glue and see if that works. Would this be the best fix?

Best fix is to call the landlord and let him sort it out.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

spog posted:

Unless you have like a hundred weed plants growing in the bedroom, just call your landlord.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

spog posted:

I did and he said "Because the disposal is fairy new. In addition, we agree that you will responsible for fixing things in exchange of the current lower rent.  If you can't fix it, please have someone to fix or replace it."

The rent was lowered by $100 before the sign of a lease and I don't know what he's saying about how I agreed with him when I obviously didn't.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Guess you've got a bad landlord and need to call a plumber.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sounds like it's time to check the small print in your lease. Your landlord is probably just trying to get out of doing the work though.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

Hey one other thing for the last 4 days I've been drinking like 4 cups of black tea and 3 cups of white tea per day, and I've also been getting diarrhoea, which is something that almost never happens to me. Nothing else in my diet has changed so assumedly it's the tea, and I know that caffeine can give you the runs, but even 4 cups of black tea and 3 cups of white tea only really adds up to like less than one cup's worth of coffee in terms of caffeine. I don't normally intake caffeine in anything at all, and I occasionally partake in an iced capp from Tim Hortons, and I never get anything like this so what's the deal. I mean some people drink like two litres of coffee per day, do I just have the weakest rear end stomach ever, and if so will it toughen the gently caress up eventually?

Black tea can have a surprising amount of caffeine in it. You're probably getting about 200 mg of caffeine there, easily 2 cups of coffee, maybe 3 times as much as a 1-espresso shot cappuccino.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Busy Bee posted:

I did and he said "Because the disposal is fairy new. In addition, we agree that you will responsible for fixing things in exchange of the current lower rent.  If you can't fix it, please have someone to fix or replace it."

Google search the name of your state, and "renter's laws". More than likely, the law says that he has to repair it, no matter what. Also double-check your contract, chances are he probably didn't bother sneaking that in, and even if he did if the law says he has to than he has to.

If you're going to wuss out and not confront him, than just buy a new one and resign yourself to fixing a lot more broken poo poo around the place. You're not going to patch cracks in a disposal worth a drat, and any other issues you have he's going to (probably rightly) assume you'll roll over on too. Decide if this is a fight worth having, and if it is than do it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I noticed these "check tickets" in the supermarket the other day. What are they for?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Maybe a coat check or something similar? Not sure about the different colors, though.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

hooah posted:

Maybe a coat check or something similar? Not sure about the different colors, though.

The different colors are so you can put one on the coat, and give the other to the coat's owner.

Replace "coat" with really anything that's able to be checked.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bvoid posted:

The different colors are so you can put one on the coat, and give the other to the coat's owner.

Replace "coat" with really anything that's able to be checked.

"privilege"?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

spog posted:

"privilege"?
Boom!

Busy Bee posted:

The rent was lowered by $100 before the sign of a lease and I don't know what he's saying about how I agreed with him when I obviously didn't.
If you didn't agree to doing something, why did he lower the rent $100? Goodwill?

The cheapest way to repair the garbage disposal is to remove it, throw it away, and buy a $10 P-trap from Home Depot. When you move out, if he asks about the garbage disposal, tell him you remember it breaking and him reducing the rent to compensate for the loss of it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

photomikey posted:

The cheapest way to repair the garbage disposal is to remove it, throw it away, and buy a $10 P-trap from Home Depot. When you move out, if he asks about the garbage disposal, tell him you remember it breaking and him reducing the rent to compensate for the loss of it.

Sounds like a bad idea. Upon moving out one of the generally accepted terms is that the unit is in the same condition as it was when you moved in, and the tenant is charged for maintenance and replacements. Again consult your lease agreement.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Manslaughter posted:

Sounds like a bad idea. Upon moving out one of the generally accepted terms is that the unit is in the same condition as it was when you moved in, and the tenant is charged for maintenance and replacements. Again consult your lease agreement.

A tenant wouldn't be responsible for normal wear and tear. As long as he didn't do anything to the garbage disposal, its failing would be considered normal wear and tear and not his problem.

Buit consult your lease and make sure you didn't sign anything dumb. And if the disposal, was new then it should be covered under warranty. But it depends on what he meant by new I guess.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Something tells me having a garbage disposal at move in and then not having one at move out would not fall under "normal wear and tear".

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Sent an Email to my landlord and attached the picture of the crack on the outside of the garbage disposal. He informed me that these garbage disposals typically last for 8-10 years and that his plumber has informed him that a crack like this is caused by some hard item that was put inside of it. He said the cost to replace it will cost up to $200 - the email is making it seem like he wants me to be responsible for it and that it is my fault.

In addition, my lease agreement does not have any part that mentions I will be responsible for fixing things on my own due to the lower rent. States that, "Resident will bear the cost of any cleaning or repair performed by Owner to restore the premises to the condition indicated on the attached Property Condition Checklist, except for wear resulting from ordinary use of the Premises".

photomikey posted:

If you didn't agree to doing something, why did he lower the rent $100? Goodwill?

I was the first applicant to view the apartment. I told him that I would be a great tenant and that I was ready to sign within the first 5 minutes of meeting him but that the rent was too high. I had all my paperwork ready including my credit score and salary. There was no agreement, verbal or not, that he would lower the rent by $100 and that I would be responsible for any damages - including normal wear and tear.

Besides, I've been living here for almost a year and have never had any issues with late payments or requesting his help to fix anything besides this disposal - first time bringing up anything to his attention.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 20, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What state are you in? Regardless, I would send him a letter indicating that the disposal is broken and he needs to fix it.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Busy Bee posted:

Sent an Email to my landlord and attached the picture of the crack on the outside of the garbage disposal. He informed me that these garbage disposals typically last for 8-10 years and that his plumber has informed him that a crack like this is caused by some hard item that was put inside of it. He said the cost to replace it will cost up to $200 - the email is making it seem like he wants me to be responsible for it and that it is my fault.

In addition, my lease agreement does not have any part that mentions I will be responsible for fixing things on my own due to the lower rent. States that, "Resident will bear the cost of any cleaning or repair performed by Owner to restore the premises to the condition indicated on the attached Property Condition Checklist, except for wear resulting from ordinary use of the Premises".

I was the first applicant to view the apartment. I told him that I would be a great tenant and that I was ready to sign within the first 5 minutes of meeting him but that the rent was too high. I had all my paperwork ready including my credit score and salary. There was no agreement, verbal or not, that he would lower the rent by $100 and that I would be responsible for any damages - including normal wear and tear.

Besides, I've been living here for almost a year and have never had any issues with late payments or requesting his help to fix anything besides this disposal - first time bringing up anything to his attention.

He's trying it on, a plumber can't tell him the cause with 100% certainty in a case like this. Tell him you're not paying, it's his duty to fix or replace it asap.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

For the past couple of days Firefox hasn't been displaying images properly. They load (I think) and there's an empty space on the page where they should be, but about half the images on a page will be missing. Any idea what this could be? It only seems to happen intermittently.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If Hamlet was like 30 years old why did Claudius become king when King Hamlet died?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

If Hamlet was like 30 years old why did Claudius become king when King Hamlet died?

Their Parliament selects the monarch at this point in time. It typically followed primogeniture but was allowed to deviate if the votes were cast as such.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/may/22/why-didnt-hamlet-become-king

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Busy Bee posted:

This reeks of horseshit. I went through a similar thing with my landlord when my toilet developed a hairline crack and started leaking. The toilet was probably original to the house, built in 1975. Their first tack was "toilets just don't break, you must've done something." Neither my housemate or I weigh more than 140 lbs, it's not like we're hambeasts abusing the poo poo out of the shitter. After a little pestering (and reminding them how much potential water damage could hurt their property), they replaced it. Sounds like Lazy/Cheap Landlord Syndrome, to me.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Got a quick question: any baldies here able to recommend a nice head razor I could get for my dad? Or can you direct me to a place where I could have that question answered? I tried the wet shaving thread in YLLS but I guess it was too pedestrian for them.

Basically my dad has gone mostly bald and he likes the look, but he still gets fuzz here and there and he shaves it off to keep things neat. Only his regular safety razor isn't doing a good job. Missed bits, the occasional cut, etc. I heard there are specialized head razors that make this process fast and safe, but I can't try any out myself and I wanted to at least get a recommendation first since its gonna be a birthday gift. Main focus is ease-of-use. If its a hassle to use or hard to find spare razors for it, my dad would most likely stick to his regular face razor. I want to get him something he'll love to use. Thanks in advance.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

Busy Bee posted:

He's bullshitting you. There is a 0 percent chance that he called up a plumber and got advice on this. Don't give him any money to fix his busted-rear end disposal.

What state do you live in?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ages ago I subscribed to the David Mitchell's Soapbox channel's RSS feed on YouTube. I haven't seen anything from it in months, until today when a link to this YouTube help video appeared in my feed reader. I was confused so I went to the channel on YouTube and the last posted video seems to be the one I saw six months ago. So I clicked the RSS button to see if I could figure out where the YouTube help video came from, and it doesn't show the YouTube help video, but it does show a bunch videos that were apparently posted to the channel this month. But aren't visible on it and didn't arrive in my feed reader. What the hell is going on here?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Busy Bee posted:

Your reply should be something in the vain of "That's a shame. So when will you fix it?" but worded only slightly politer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Ages ago I subscribed to the David Mitchell's Soapbox channel's RSS feed on YouTube. I haven't seen anything from it in months, until today when a link to this YouTube help video appeared in my feed reader. I was confused so I went to the channel on YouTube and the last posted video seems to be the one I saw six months ago. So I clicked the RSS button to see if I could figure out where the YouTube help video came from, and it doesn't show the YouTube help video, but it does show a bunch videos that were apparently posted to the channel this month. But aren't visible on it and didn't arrive in my feed reader. What the hell is going on here?

I dunno, but I've I don't follow David Mitchell and that video popped up in my feed.