Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

The Locator posted:

My first game in my bone stock Fuso, first salvo on an enemy Fuso right at the edge of max range. 30k+ damage, 2 citadel hits, wrecked a turret, and some other crit. Good times. Easily the best salvo I've ever had.

I just had my first game in my Fuso stock, and dear god, this ship punches so hard and straight. I don't think I ever missed out on more than three shots per salvo at a pretty good range, and they nearly all went in.

Highlight of the game was when I shot at a Nagato at around 15 kilometers and took out 15k health with each salvo. Meanwhile she could just not finish me off for the life of her. The Fuso may be slower than the Kongou, but it feels much more accurate, deadly, and armored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Fuso isn't as accurate as the Kongo, but it makes up for that by firing 12 shots. The Kongo is more accurate at all ranges (The Fuso has trouble between mid and max range.) Of course there's nothing like blapping most boats in a single salvo!

The Nagato is interesting for different reasons. It's secondaries are insane. On an open ocean battle I killed 2 and almost a third destroyer just with them when they went after our carrier. Only reason I didn't kill the third was because another cruiser got the last shot in.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
"I'm gonna do it; I'm gonna torp his rear end this time" -me, every time right before dying to a Nagato's secondaries in my DD

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Fuso isn't as accurate as the Kongo, but it makes up for that by firing 12 shots. The Kongo is more accurate at all ranges (The Fuso has trouble between mid and max range.) Of course there's nothing like blapping most boats in a single salvo!

The Nagato is interesting for different reasons. It's secondaries are insane. On an open ocean battle I killed 2 and almost a third destroyer just with them when they went after our carrier. Only reason I didn't kill the third was because another cruiser got the last shot in.

It's the only ship where I'd consider getting the secondary range/accuracy upgrade, besides Yamato.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Any chance anyone has an invite code that my friend can use?

e) i know this sounds lovely but if you have one that you still haven't given to a goon, maybe...

ee) yeah it sounds lovely because it is lovely. this is a lovely post.

Gay Hitler fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 20, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

So I'm not sure if I like the Pensacola. The bigger guns help against battleships, but in every other way it seems to be worse than the Cleveland. It even has fewer hitpoints.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A mogami should never be ignored. 2 destroyers, 2 cruisers and a nagato all down because they weren't paying attention.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

El Disco posted:

So I'm not sure if I like the Pensacola. The bigger guns help against battleships, but in every other way it seems to be worse than the Cleveland. It even has fewer hitpoints.

Amen to that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

El Disco posted:

Citadel hits on cruisers are never not funny, and 8" guns make them easier.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Gay Hitler posted:

Any chance anyone has an invite code that my friend can use?

e) i know this sounds lovely but if you have one that you still haven't given to a goon, maybe...

ee) yeah it sounds lovely because it is lovely. this is a lovely post.

You get a beta code with a preorder now. Either of the destroyers are good deals, good ship + some gold and 30 days premium.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

xthetenth posted:

Citadel hits on cruisers are never not funny, and 8" guns make them easier.

I did just wreck a 75% Cleveland in two salvos, so there's that. Then later that game I was about to win a close range duel with a Kongo when a friendly destroyer torpedoed me in the back. :suicide:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Vengarr posted:

You get a beta code with a preorder now. Either of the destroyers are good deals, good ship + some gold and 30 days premium.

If you don't fish for the three-boat package (and it's not as good of a deal now so I don't know why you would), I really enjoy playing the Gremyashchiy. I *don't* like the Sims as much because a T7 destroyer, no matter how maneuverable, generally gets loving wrecked in upper-tier matches. They honestly need to offer more xp for being a spotter in this game...like an *actual* eyes-on spot from a ship makes everyone's fire more accurate than a scout plane's spot, or *something*.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 20, 2015

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
If you can't dodge shots with the Sims at 9/10km out that's on you

If you're closer then stop being so close since you want to be at around 9 to 10km out anyway in a US DD to plunge your gun salvoes onto the decks of BBs for sick damage. 1k to 2k damage per salvo doesn't seem like much but it adds up when you're belting them out ever 4.5s.

El Disco posted:

8 inch guns are so good though

Like, you'll occasionally even get citadel hits on BBs and it's great every time

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Admittedly, I'm by no means 'good' at this game yet. I'm better in the Grem than the Sims. vOv

I haven't even bothered trying the Yubari yet.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Well I know that when I was first learning to play US DDs I kept getting wrecked because I'd always try to charge in and get close, which can work out fine in the early tiers but once you hit mid tiers it becomes a real bad idea. Somewhat counter-intuitively, especially since the game itself emphasizes torpedo attacks for DDs, in a US DD you basically want to ignore your torpedoes except for attacks of opportunity where you find yourself in range of something (and at higher tiers when your torpedo range gets better to force enemies to manuever to their disadvantage). For the most part, you shouldn't go in and close the range, thinking that you should torpedo something. I sometimes still do this and it's ended badly almost every single time.

Instead, your guns are deceptively good and you should be non-stop shooting at things. Use AP on everything except if you find yourself at close range with a BB because you won't be punching through the armour then obviously. There might be a couple of cruisers which can bounce your shots too (probably US ones since I've citadel penned a Mogami multiple times up close before) but I'm not too sure as I make sure to stay the gently caress away from them since up close they will just tear you up.

I don't have a Grem but I imagine its playstyle is similar to that of the mid tier US DDs: good guns but slow turn rate on them. Though IIRC your torpedoes are better in exchange for an even slower turn rate on the guns.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 20, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Elmnt80 posted:

A mogami should never be ignored. 2 destroyers, 2 cruisers and a nagato all down because they weren't paying attention.

I looked in my replays from earlier today and compared them with my ship stats on the official website. Apparently, in one of the matches I had in the Mogami, I did 128,523 damage. :captainpop:

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.
Is the Fuso turret upgrade worth getting? I'm not sure if the increase in rate of fire is worth the slower turret turning.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Zhanism posted:

Is the Fuso turret upgrade worth getting? I'm not sure if the increase in rate of fire is worth the slower turret turning.

An imperceptible increase in your fire rate for nearly three extra seconds to swing your turrets around? Yeah, no.

I almost feel like that RoF increase in the upgrade should be a bit bigger, but someone screwed up when they were putting the numbers in or something. The trade-off's not worth it in any way.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Zhanism posted:

You get 5% faster reload in exchange for about 5% slower turret rotation. It's pretty much a matter of opinion, neither change is big enough for one option to be obviously wrong.
Which happens to you more, waiting for your guns to load while aimed at an enemy, or waiting for your guns to turn around while loaded?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Insert name here posted:

Well I know that when I was first learning to play US DDs I kept getting wrecked because I'd always try to charge in and get close, which can work out fine in the early tiers but once you hit mid tiers it becomes a real bad idea. Somewhat counter-intuitively, especially since the game itself emphasizes torpedo attacks for DDs, in a US DD you basically want to ignore your torpedoes except for attacks of opportunity where you find yourself in range of something (and at higher tiers when your torpedo range gets better to force enemies to manuever to their disadvantage). For the most part, you shouldn't go in and close the range, thinking that you should torpedo something. I sometimes still do this and it's ended badly almost every single time.

Instead, your guns are deceptively good and you should be non-stop shooting at things. Use AP on everything except if you find yourself at close range with a BB because you won't be punching through the armour then obviously. There might be a couple of cruisers which can bounce your shots too (probably US ones since I've citadel penned a Mogami multiple times up close before) but I'm not too sure as I make sure to stay the gently caress away from them since up close they will just tear you up.

I don't have a Grem but I imagine its playstyle is similar to that of the mid tier US DDs: good guns but slow turn rate on them. Though IIRC your torpedoes are better in exchange for an even slower turn rate on the guns.

Grims want to stay farther away if possible. US DDs can get in pretty close if needed in that tier, and hemmorhage torps to get out with a kill, and generally don't want to be taking potshots at max range because shell hang time is a bear. The Grim has much less shell hang time and generally better punch on its guns, and it can lay down effective fire at much longer ranges than a US DD. Against Japanese DDs it can close to mid range for yet more effectiveness but it's not necessary. Against battleships they can go close for torp runs if needed, but even against cruisers they can throw out long range fire for harassment and they don't have the same ability to dodge and fire, so they want to stay a bit farther back.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

James Garfield posted:

You get 5% faster reload in exchange for about 5% slower turret rotation. It's pretty much a matter of opinion, neither change is big enough for one option to be obviously wrong.
Which happens to you more, waiting for your guns to load while aimed at an enemy, or waiting for your guns to turn around while loaded?

Once wargaming gets all the modelling correct, we'll probably find out it is like some of the WoT turret upgrades. More armored turrets at the cost of slower turn rate.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

James Garfield posted:

The Fuso's upgrade is a decent give or take. The slight RoF increase is larger than you think because of how long BB reloads are and the 180 turn time isn't that noticeable because you should be mitigating that via maneuvering in the first place.

Compared to the Cleveland's turret upgrade, which has a very large RoF boost but an absolutely horrendous 180 penalty to it. In a ship where you're going to be maneuvering/rotating your turrets a lot more. I've been having trouble with the stock Cleveland's turret traverse already.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

The Fuso's upgrade is a decent give or take. The slight RoF increase is larger than you think because of how long BB reloads are and the 180 turn time isn't that noticeable because you should be mitigating that via maneuvering in the first place.

Compared to the Cleveland's turret upgrade, which has a very large RoF boost but an absolutely horrendous 180 penalty to it. In a ship where you're going to be maneuvering/rotating your turrets a lot more. I've been having trouble with the stock Cleveland's turret traverse already.

The Cleveland is very bad when it doesn't spit out shells as much as it can. It's cannons aren't very good. You need the rof upgrade to be competitive.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Man I don't know what is up with the game lately; these past two days almost every single game I've been in has been 13v11 one way or the other with no real tier discrepancy between the teams either.

Also the most ridiculous thing happened literally just now when my Farragut got one-shot by a dive bomber. How come my DBs never do that poo poo? :mad:

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

The Cleveland is very bad when it doesn't spit out shells as much as it can. It's cannons aren't very good. You need the rof upgrade to be competitive.
Yeah those 6 inchers are really underwhelming against anything with armour so you really need to shoot lots of shells to gently caress things up.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I kinda regret getting the Yubari instead of the Grem. The Yubari just feels so drat plain-jane.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

How does XP at all work? I've been doing super well in various tier IV ships with multiple kills, torpedo hits, citadels, fire etc etc. But I only ever pull in 4-600 xp, nothing like the screenshots in this thread. Is it just purely about damage done? Should I target BB's more?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
You're not accidentally playing coop battles are you?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Insert name here posted:

You're not accidentally playing coop battles are you?

I... I am.

Well gently caress, the good missions have been double clicking in the missions screen :v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
Now I'm curious as to how much people are stuck doing coop battles forever without realising it.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
are people still playing this game? i think my favorite aspect of it is the huge invisible islands on the ice map. its really good

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Atal Vataman posted:

are people still playing this game? i think my favorite aspect of it is the huge invisible islands on the ice map. its really good

I actually find it pretty relaxing to play, which is a first for a game for me. You can log on, get in your Fuso and sit at the edge of the map shelling fools whilst getting called a n00b camper by the idiots on your team. Pretty much win-win.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Burt posted:

I actually find it pretty relaxing to play, which is a first for a game for me. You can log on, get in your Fuso and sit at the edge of the map shelling fools whilst getting called a n00b camper by the idiots on your team. Pretty much win-win.

The guys on your team are right, though.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Burt posted:

Yeah they are right, even in the bigger battleships you want to get at 13-10km so your shells have a flat arc, more chances for hits and pens that way

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Neither of you are my Dad. t:mad:

Also I can't decide if the Atlanta is the best or the worst ship in the game. When it's bad it's very, very bad but when it's good it's just utterly amazing

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Had a wonderful match in the Fuso last night. I was cruising around the outer edges of the "south Pacific island" map when three Omahas in a squadron together come steaming around into view at extreme range. I manage to put the first one at half-HP in one volley; he goes "what the gently caress was that" in text chat before I sink him with the second volley. The second Omaha dies as fast as the first; two volleys and multiple citadel hits. The third one dies the same way, also complaining in text chat.

But the thing that really made the match gold was the fact that while I was busy fighting the Omahas, I realized I had ended up practically on top of the enemy carriers, who were pushing fairly far forward. So I'm laughing and praying I can kill them before their torpedo bombers get back. I'm doing well; I've set both carriers on fire with HE so they can't recover their bombers, and I'm close enough to one of the carriers that my secondaries are tearing big shreds of hull off him while my main guns reload. There's really no path forward for the carriers at this point...

Unless one of them does the only logical thing, and turns and rams me, killing us both. Which is exactly what the closer of the two carriers did, in a beautiful illustration of the value of ramming as a last-ditch desperation move. Goodspeed, carrier driver, godspeed and well done.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Stevefin posted:

Yeah they are right, even in the bigger battleships you want to get at 13-10km so your shells have a flat arc, more chances for hits and pens that way

Except.. no? At long range your shells are plunging through the low armor decks, and do massive damage. I regularly get 3-6 hits per salvo (Fuso) right at the edge of max range, and get 1 or 2 crits (or a citadel) on almost every salvo, and only other long-range BB's can shoot back. At medium range I get about the same number of hits but fewer crits, and also take a lot more return fire.

As long as I'm in range of something to shoot at, there is no reason to move closer, as it can only make things worse typically.

Edit: Disclaimer - I've only played the game a few days and am up to T6, so small sample size.

The Locator fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 20, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Man, I really like the St. Louis.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Drone posted:

Man, I really like the St. Louis.

It is a good ship. The Cleveland is better, and becomes downright hilarious in a match full of tier IV and tier V stuff.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Insert name here posted:

"I'm gonna do it; I'm gonna torp his rear end this time" -me, every time right before dying to a Nagato's secondaries in my DD

Over the weekend, I watched some tunnel-vision pubbie still kill a wounded Kongo with his secondaries alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/11327-development-bulletin-031/

Boat stuff.