Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WickedHate posted:

Then we'd have less to look forward to. I'm glad I know that for at least the next few Halloweens there'll be a Hellsing Ultimate Abridged to make me fall out of my chair laughing.

Dude get the gently caress out of here. Why do you keep coming back here.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

SatansBestBuddy posted:

And don't get me started on how badly they hosed up the ending to Attack on Titan. :argh:

Ha ha, I loved the changes they made to the season one conclusion, and according to interviews, Isayama was very approving of them too, even though they're quite different in what was up to that point a very faithful adaptation. Given how grim things have gotten in his manga as of late, I'm thinking he was down with a less "yay team!" conclusion to the whole Female Titan thing. Like, yay team is good, yay team is great, but Eren's arc has never really been headed down a "yay team" path, so it makes more sense to me to alter that conflict in the way that they did, where the victory is a little more skin-of-teeth hollow and Eren is not in control of the situation or really his own slowly darkening soul. It honestly matches up better with where the manga has been going over time than the comics' own "and then they successfully worked as a team" conclusion to the conflict. But it's a divisive change, I see people on both sides of it all the time.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I actually liked that change. It was the complete removal of the conspiracy of the church and moving the reveal of the titans in the wall to to after the credits roll that pissed me off.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Miss Wallace posted:

The only animals Mitch Buchannon loves are the kind that can be thrown on a barbecue.

EDIT: Holy poo poo that Inspector Rex show looks fantastic!

EDIT EDIT: 10 SEASONS!?!

I grew up watchful that show back when I lived in Austria. Never had the pleasure of seeing the later stuff in Italy, though (which is a good thing, I hear).

But it was a great show the first few seasons, especially because it was filmed in my hometown, had people talk in Viennese German, and involve Viennese things in general. There's nothing inherently tacky about it except maybe some of the banter between the main characters and some of what the dog does for comic relief. For the most part it's a serious crime show.

One of the actors in that show was in the grand budapest hotel, which made me smile.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Jay O posted:

Ha ha, I loved the changes they made to the season one conclusion, and according to interviews, Isayama was very approving of them too, even though they're quite different in what was up to that point a very faithful adaptation. Given how grim things have gotten in his manga as of late, I'm thinking he was down with a less "yay team!" conclusion to the whole Female Titan thing. Like, yay team is good, yay team is great, but Eren's arc has never really been headed down a "yay team" path, so it makes more sense to me to alter that conflict in the way that they did, where the victory is a little more skin-of-teeth hollow and Eren is not in control of the situation or really his own slowly darkening soul. It honestly matches up better with where the manga has been going over time than the comics' own "and then they successfully worked as a team" conclusion to the conflict. But it's a divisive change, I see people on both sides of it all the time.

I liken the ending of AoT anime like the ending of a horror movie, so while I never read the manga, I was not bothered by it.

Is there going to be another season of AoT?

WickedHate posted:

This is why Dragon Ball Z Abridged is so good. The people behind genuinely love Dragon Ball, but it's ridiculous and they really know how to have fun with it.

They also know how to make fun of it, while keeping it in the spirit of the show. They add tension to the fights, and there are scenes of genuine pathos. I have not seen any other abridged series that have come close to firing on all cylinders.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PassTheRemote posted:

I liken the ending of AoT anime like the ending of a horror movie, so while I never read the manga, I was not bothered by it.

iirc, they're waiting on the manga for more content.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

PassTheRemote posted:

They also know how to make fun of it, while keeping it in the spirit of the show. They add tension to the fights, and there are scenes of genuine pathos. I have not seen any other abridged series that have come close to firing on all cylinders.
Also its been really hard to watch DBZ Kai on Toonami because I'm so used to DBZA voice actors and feel like in many cases (Frieza) are much better than the original dub.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I actually liked that change. It was the complete removal of the conspiracy of the church and moving the reveal of the titans in the wall to to after the credits roll that pissed me off.

Oh! Well, that's an easy remedy, you'll see all that stuff in season two! They ended that show the way they did principally because they knew they were going to make more. So you need a good cliffhanger!

PassTheRemote posted:

Oh yes. AoT's like a Naruto-sized hit, they gonna milk that cow dry. It's airing in 2016, probably either Spring or Fall. The delay was basically to let the comics get nice and far ahead so they have enough content for another 26-episode season.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

OldTennisCourt posted:

I'm surprised there aren't any anime reviewers who are willing to do videos on poo poo like this. We've got enough ~wacky hijinks oh boy this show sure is bad huh!~ shows to last a lifetime, why don't more people put out poo poo like Oancitizen, ComicHistorian, SFDebris or hell even AE Podcast? Really get inside and explore the background, politics, history and ideas in a show/movie/wrestling thing/comic/etc.?

I'm honestly really tired of the TGWTG style of "Hey let me simply describe literally the entire film but with jokes!" thing. It can be done well no doubt, all the people I went over do work in that style and people like Lupa can make it work, but it's just kind of getting stale to be honest.

I'd love for a show to not even go into specifics in a film, like do a retrospective on found footage, explore how the Blair Witch used it's marketing campaign to a genius extent and made it work, look at how films like Unfriended are pushing that idea even further, explore the V/H/S series.

Hell, we're on an anime track here, do a series on the role of voice actors, the background of famous series and what they did/why they succeeded/failed etc. There's just so much fertile ground to explore and work with that it sucks so many people are stuck in a weird rut.

I always loved the chance to really think about the history of something, or the implications of it, rather than simply making jokes. Along these lines my next series of videos are all going to be about Dirk Bogarde movies. Unfortunately, I don't think many people are particularly interested in Dirk Bogarde movies (let alone know who he is.) However, it's nice to have the freedom to run with an idea when you have it. Because there's a lot of legal history and societal attitudes that I can talk about, as well as film analysis and..possibly even some jokes!
I think people tend to like me the best when I talk about something they already know about though. Which in a sense is a shame, because often my favourite videos are when I've dug up something old, weird or unusual, that hasn't already been combed through a thousand times already.

Jay O posted:

The I ONLY "REVIEW" (RIFF) BAD THINGS hill is still a crap hill to die on, though. Talk about bad things, then talk about mediocre things, talk about good things, round yourself out, open a dialogue.

The problem with reviewing only bad things is...well, a) everyone else has decided to do that, and b) have you ever tried restricting yourself to only watching/reading/listening to bad things? It makes you fall out of love with an art form. It's just horrible.

FrankenVonVogler
Nov 4, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Like, One Piece, absolutely fantastic manga, but you watch the anime and it's so shiiiit, no effort put into it at all.

I'd defend the One Piece anime up until they get to Enies Lobby. There were always really obvious budget problems (it is produced by Toei after all) but they were still pretty creative with how they used what limited resources they had. The Zoro vs Mr. 1 fight in Alabasta is a particularly good example where despite how choppy and poor the animation is, the shot composition and the use of music still makes it visually compelling.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

achillesforever6 posted:

Also its been really hard to watch DBZ Kai on Toonami because I'm so used to DBZA voice actors and feel like in many cases (Frieza) are much better than the original dub.

Sometimes I legitimately think DBZA is straight up a better show than DBZ. I'm not sure I'd go that far because some of the jokes need familiarity with the source material, and Battle of the Gods reminded how great straight Toriyama goofiness can be, but it's pretty great.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FrankenVonVogler posted:

I'd defend the One Piece anime up until they get to Enies Lobby. There were always really obvious budget problems (it is produced by Toei after all) but they were still pretty creative with how they used what limited resources they had. The Zoro vs Mr. 1 fight in Alabasta is a particularly good example where despite how choppy and poor the animation is, the shot composition and the use of music still makes it visually compelling.

Well, that was when they put in effort. Early One Piece anime is pretty great, hell there are some scenes that I think are honestly way better than what we got in the manga, like when Chopper first uses monster point or when Sanji and Zoro team up to take down the fish giant or that scene you posted... But nowadays they don't do that anymore. Wish I could find it right now but I remember a clip from a recent episode that was four solid minutes of silence with everybody standing around looking shocked at something and nothing happens for four minutes. It's really bad now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's really interesting imo seeing how different shows utilized their budgets. I haven't seen the whole series but it was interesting how soul eater, despite being produced (and I assume funded) by square-enix, did almost everything it could to avoid animating any of the action and instead focusing on hanna-barbera style running sequences to fill out stuff. Then you have stuff like Death Note which, from having only seen the first few episodes, seemed to make use of their budget through.."overanimating" or something, idk how to put it, so you end up with scenes that feel like an action scene even if all that's happening is a character is eating a potato chip. Then there is jojo which, for its first season, had a really low budget (and boy does it show through the pre-bluray faces on some characters), but you can spot pretty easily how they divvied up the budget and they did a fairly good job dressing up their cheap animation to look richer than it actually was.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jay O posted:

Some! Not a lot, not frequently.

Didn't the Ultimate Muscle anime get an extra season produced because of its overseas popularity? That's the only example I can think of that I've heard about.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'll go ahead and say wrestling analysis belongs in this thread, since that medium hits more nerd checkboxes than you'd think (obsessive fans, peaks and valleys of mainstream coverage, complex and sometimes convoluted mythology).

Work of Wrestling is a pretty good attempt at treating pro wrestling like a legitimate art form and analyzing the storylines with a straight face.

http://www.workofwrestling.com/

Personally, I think pro wrestling is at a fascinating period right now. WWE and their outdaded philosophies still dominate the mainstream view of wrestling, but there has been a resurgence of indie wrestling, New Japan is gaining more American attention, and Lucha Underground is breaking ground with the way they inject grindhouse/telenovela elements into wrestling, creating a product that's fresh and exciting.

Basically the way JO feels about anime, I feel the way about wrestling. There was a dark period for a long time, but things are slowly recovering and today there are more ways to watch wrestling than ever. A new boom period feels like it's just around the corner if the right stars click and the booking is on-point.

By "right stars" I mean Shinsuke Nakamura and Prince Puma. Sorry Vince, nobody cares about Roman Reigns.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Infamous Sphere posted:

I always loved the chance to really think about the history of something, or the implications of it, rather than simply making jokes. Along these lines my next series of videos are all going to be about Dirk Bogarde movies. Unfortunately, I don't think many people are particularly interested in Dirk Bogarde movies (let alone know who he is.) However, it's nice to have the freedom to run with an idea when you have it. Because there's a lot of legal history and societal attitudes that I can talk about, as well as film analysis and..possibly even some jokes!
I think people tend to like me the best when I talk about something they already know about though. Which in a sense is a shame, because often my favourite videos are when I've dug up something old, weird or unusual, that hasn't already been combed through a thousand times already.

I realize that, say, Kyle’s show is infinitely better than mine, because he’s got a lot more experience in the medium. I try to center my show around the things I have experience doing: improvisation and writing. The jokes in my episodes are written down the first time I see the movie, and the criticisms I offer are usually based on the movie’s plots.

I think the Internet video audience tends to prefer reviews of stuff they’ve already seen because they’re not really looking to hear someone else’s opinion, they’re just looking for someone else to validate their own opinion. I almost never cover well-known movies, so the most popular ones for me have always been the ones that have boobs in the preview image.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
That's one of the reasons I really like Film Brain's Projector reviews. We seem to share a lot of the same tastes and I've watched a few movies I'd never have given a thought to. Like, my god, '71 was a really amazing movie.

I mean, there's no denying it can be fun to watch someone lose their poo poo in a review, but I also really like when people have nice things to say.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

I'll go ahead and say wrestling analysis belongs in this thread, since that medium hits more nerd checkboxes than you'd think (obsessive fans, peaks and valleys of mainstream coverage, complex and sometimes convoluted mythology).

Work of Wrestling is a pretty good attempt at treating pro wrestling like a legitimate art form and analyzing the storylines with a straight face.

http://www.workofwrestling.com/

Personally, I think pro wrestling is at a fascinating period right now. WWE and their outdaded philosophies still dominate the mainstream view of wrestling, but there has been a resurgence of indie wrestling, New Japan is gaining more American attention, and Lucha Underground is breaking ground with the way they inject grindhouse/telenovela elements into wrestling, creating a product that's fresh and exciting.

Basically the way JO feels about anime, I feel the way about wrestling. There was a dark period for a long time, but things are slowly recovering and today there are more ways to watch wrestling than ever. A new boom period feels like it's just around the corner if the right stars click and the booking is on-point.

By "right stars" I mean Shinsuke Nakamura and Prince Puma. Sorry Vince, nobody cares about Roman Reigns.

NXT is going to have a hand in securing that boom period in my opinion. A lot of the reason WWE is so stagnant now is Vince is stuck in a mindset of "I know better than the fans, they'll take what they get." which is where you'll get rewrites that happen literally right before the show starts, Roman getting crammed into people's throats, people just sort of falling off the face of the planet after being fan favorites. It's all that brass ring bullshit.

HHH is running NXT and it's clearly heads and shoulders above the main product, I feel like as soon as Vince retires and HHH takes over we're going to see WWE get a giant increase in quality. Add to that New Japan's general amazing quality and Lucha Underground slowly getting amazing, I really wish it was on another channel in all honesty so it'd be easier to catch, and we're very clearly getting close to some amazing stuff in the future.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't the Ultimate Muscle anime get an extra season produced because of its overseas popularity? That's the only example I can think of that I've heard about.

I know Big O got its second season due to it's popularity in the US, with Cartoon Network co-producing the second season.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Well, that was when they put in effort. Early One Piece anime is pretty great, hell there are some scenes that I think are honestly way better than what we got in the manga, like when Chopper first uses monster point or when Sanji and Zoro team up to take down the fish giant or that scene you posted... But nowadays they don't do that anymore. Wish I could find it right now but I remember a clip from a recent episode that was four solid minutes of silence with everybody standing around looking shocked at something and nothing happens for four minutes. It's really bad now.

I wait for One Pace episodes myself. They're genuine heroes.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Jay O posted:

I don't really agree. That part of the manga was supposed to be the first time Eren is completely in control of the form and his emotions, that he wasn't doing anything stupid despite feeling incredibly angry at the person behind the situation, which marks a turn where they finally get their victory because Eren wasn't rushing in and getting squadmates killed for no reason. Yet despite that the Female Titan still completely outclasses him because it's not enough and even after they defeat her, they realise the victory was hollow because of the reveal.

Having him turn into a fiery rage beast defeats the point of that, it just turns into a dumb action cliche where anger makes the protagonist stronger for no reason whatsoever. Not to mention dumb stuff like that melding scene and Levi cutting him out, even though he's injured ( him being injured is the reason why he can't take action further along in the manga and why the Recon Corp suffers more heavily when things start getting really bad).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PassTheRemote posted:

I know Big O got its second season due to it's popularity in the US, with Cartoon Network co-producing the second season.

Did Cartoon Network have a hand in Space Dandy too, or was it just the simuldub?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Brad's been posting some images of the shoot for the AT4W movie and its good to know that Linkara probably paid people to make his movie look good

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

achillesforever6 posted:

Brad's been posting some images of the shoot for the AT4W movie and its good to know that Linkara probably paid people to make his movie look good

That looks....shockingly well done.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

That looks....shockingly well done.

Doug and Mike should take notes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have no idea why anyone would want a AT4W movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Andrast posted:

I have no idea why anyone would want a AT4W movie.
Teenagers with disposable income probably love AT4W until they get older and realize he's not that funny. Also man-children

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It's good to see that Linkara is putting every effort into making his film a quality production. With Brad involved, it might be watchable!

Also, I found this

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

Mr. Fowl posted:

It's good to see that Linkara is putting every effort into making his film a quality production. With Brad involved, it might be watchable!

Also, I found this

It's beautiful.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Wow, guess who looks like a real badass:

https://twitter.com/thecinemasnob/status/590197267925233664/photo/1

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

achillesforever6 posted:

Don't you be badmouthing Genkai. :toughguy:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have a soft spot for anything Purple Eyes WTF does regarding abridged series. It takes a certain level of crazy to voice every single character from three different shows all by yourself.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jay O posted:

It's beautiful.

That reminds me, did you ever post your review of Watamote?

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

once you get used to it

BigRed0427 posted:

That reminds me, did you ever post your review of Watamote?

No, sadly a bunch of other stuff took priority. That got lost in the shuffle along with a potential Uta no Prince-sama review.

But I am reviewing the final volume of Kill La Kill this week! :haw: I'll have reviewed that show in FIVE SEPARATE PARTS. Aniplex releases are high priority, ha ha...(Sentai releases not as much.)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Did Linkara lose weight? Good on him.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

I'm stunt doubling for Fat Grandma.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Mr. Fowl posted:

Also, I found this

Is that specific anime character part of the joke besides just being a young anime girl?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Is that specific anime character part of the joke besides just being a young anime girl?

The character is the lead in Watamote. Yeah, it's part of the joke.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Her character is "socially awkward cringeworthy girl who is overly obsessed with anime"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Then that gif is even better than I thought it was. :lol:

• Locked thread