Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zwabu posted:

Yeah, okay, THIS I get. But the choice of words implied that there is actual hard data, conclusive scientific proof of this position when I'm pretty sure what data there is supports the opposite conclusion (such as twin studies showing highly increased probability of twins both being gay even when raised in different environments etc.), rather than the "folk science" idea that it's self evident just because.

I remember reading a book by the biologist E.O. Wilson that had an opposite theory of this in it. If the genes that result in homosexuality are also associated with other traits leading to creativity, achievement etc. that lead to relatively high social standing among those carrying them, like being a religious shaman or an executive producer of a movie company, then a reproductive advantage would fall on their family and close relatives, thus resulting in increased evolutionary fitness for those genes. It's plausible in the context of societies, just like how the ability to form and use language should confer a massive evolutionary fitness advantage in the context of a society of organisms, but wouldn't be of obvious benefit when considering a single (primitive, hunting) creature.

sounds like he just made it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Orkin Mang posted:

sounds like he just made it up

He was just formulating a theory for a genetic association with homosexuality that would account for the fact that most gays don't reproduce, so yes he was just making it up. It would require lots of hard data to establish the truth and refine the edges of such a theory.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zwabu posted:

He was just formulating a theory for a genetic association with homosexuality that would account for the fact that most gays don't reproduce, so yes he was just making it up. It would require lots of hard data to establish the truth and refine the edges of such a theory.

the genetic association is far from established (many of the twin studies you're alluding to have been shown to be more or less worthless, for methodological and conceptual reasons) and even if it is something can be genetic and not have been naturally selected.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Orkin Mang posted:

the genetic association is far from established (many of the twin studies you're alluding to have been shown to be more or less worthless, for methodological and conceptual reasons) and even if it is something can be genetic and not have been naturally selected.

My point in mentioning EO Wilson is that "common sense" reasoning (the gays don't have kids, durr) can also have as its counterpart "common sense" theories that conclude the opposite and without data and proof they are both equally worthless.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zwabu posted:

My point in mentioning EO Wilson is that "common sense" reasoning (the gays don't have kids, durr) can also have as its counterpart "common sense" theories that conclude the opposite and without data and proof they are both equally worthless.

fair enough then

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Orkin Mang posted:

why is ted cruzs the american flag on fire

Truth in advertising.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Orkin Mang posted:

why is ted cruzs the american flag on fire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWsIhBnaWaw&t=34s

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

What percentage of dystopian fiction writers approve of Graham's logo?

EDIT:

It's facing the wrong way! :(

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Even though Tea Cruz is a crazy I do like his logo. Hillary's logo reminds me of Colorado's flag (no idea why).

Rand Paul's colour scheme has a real Nazi feel to it, even though it looks sharp it looks way too far out there.

Also if Huckabee runs I wonder if he will steal a bunch of Cruz's base. We all know he is just running to sell more books but if Cruz and Huckabee knock each other out early it could be quite good for the other candidates who can focus less on the religious voters maybe?

E:
Also some people asked some questions to me a few pages back will get to them when I get back to home. Been on vacation and only able to read and post on mobile.

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 20, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Hillary's logo looks like it belongs to a healthcare company or something which really throws me off. Years of logos have probably just convinced me that all campaign images need heavy american imagery, though.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

JosefStalinator posted:

EDIT:

Alt slogan was "Service guarantees citizenship!"

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JosefStalinator posted:

Holy hell I thought this was a photoshop edit. Funny that the small government guy would try channel fictitious fascist governments.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

JosefStalinator posted:

EDIT:

I suspect that, if he's elected, our military uniforms might become more fashionable...maybe something by Hugo Boss.

Lote posted:

I'm starting to appreciate the fact that I'm a real sucker for the whole dystopian fascist dictatorship marketing angle. Out of all the people I won't be voting for, he's definitely my favorite just for his audacity.

flu-like symptoms
Jul 27, 2006
shiny
Ted Cruz's logo would make an excellent prison tattoo if you got it under your eye.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

flu-like symptoms posted:

Ted Cruz's logo would make an excellent prison tattoo if you got it under your eye.

Killer idea!

TURN IT OFF!
Dec 26, 2012

flu-like symptoms posted:

Someone call up that guy who got the Romney tattoo!

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Lote posted:

Would you like to know more?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Zwabu posted:

Yeah, okay, THIS I get. But the choice of words implied that there is actual hard data, conclusive scientific proof of this position when I'm pretty sure what data there is supports the opposite conclusion (such as twin studies showing highly increased probability of twins both being gay even when raised in different environments etc.), rather than the "folk science" idea that it's self evident just because.

That's how they handle 99% of science - they dramatically misinterpret it and offer a simple bumper-sticker rebuttal based on their oversimplified version. They do the same thing for evolution and climate change. The sad thing is that it works because most people won't spend more than 30 seconds considering the problem and/or have at best a middle-school understanding of the issue.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

JosefStalinator posted:

So does anyone think Lindsey is going to come out before he leaves office, or after? Or is he the type that'll never bother since everyone in DC is ok with him and won't talk about it?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sir Tonk posted:

So does anyone think Lindsey is going to come out before he leaves office, or after? Or is he the type that'll never bother since everyone in DC is ok with him and won't talk about it?

He's a Charlestonian confirmed bachelor that lives his life so far bland and secretive there isn't much on him and anyone that did offer a serious suggestion would likely wake up to a horsehead in their bed.

Likely just wants to push his views on a more national stage to make for a compliant Presidential candidate.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The correct movie analogy for Rick Snyder is Robocop. :colbert:
Speaking of, the statue up yet? :v:

I hope Synder does throw his hat in the ring. So many sitting republican governors bashing each other, I await the bloodbath :unsmigghh:

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

If Ted Cruz is trying to bring up images of the US flag in his logo, why is the blue at the bottom right? Hmm upside down and with the stars to the wrong side. True American there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Why is Cruz' logo a teardrop anyway?

CRUZ: MAKING AMERICA CRY LIKE NO CANADIAN HAS SINCE 1812.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TURN IT OFF! posted:

Someone call up that guy who got the Romney tattoo!

Better yet, get backwards B lady.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Apparently, she liked playing Tetris.

But seriously, where/when is this photo from? It's hilarious.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
So here's how I break it down:

JEB: In it to win it
Walker: In it to win it
Rubio: Doesn't care much about legislation, wants a cushy job. Keeping options open for VP, Governor and 2020
Cruz: Thinks he can win, willing to burn everything down. Get ready for his 2020 I told you so tour
Rand Paul: A bit adorable in that he thinks he can actually win
Graham: On a neoconservative suicide mission to take out Cruz/Paul
Santorum: Also ran
Ben Carson: Winging this poo poo.
Huckabee: Grifter
Rick Perry: Will make a half hearted attempt cuz who knows maybe his glasses will convince someone
Trump: look at me look at me
Chris Christie :fork:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Concerned Citizen posted:

Apparently, she liked playing Tetris.

But seriously, where/when is this photo from? It's hilarious.

Air Force One, April 1993.

The Clinton Library posts archive photos here: https://instagram.com/wjclibrary42/

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Playing next to the window is a nice touch otherwise she wouldn't be able to see anything.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

#cruzcontrol!

CNN latest poll

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/20/politics/2016-elections-republican-field-poll/

quote:

Overall, 17% of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents back Bush for the GOP nomination, while 12% support Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker. Paul and Rubio stand at 11% each, with former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at 9% and Cruz at 7%. Former neurosurgeon Ben Carson and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, both of whom placed second in CNN/ORC polls as recently as last fall, are now well behind the leader at 4% each.

Bush's edge in the nomination contest extends across several attributes viewed as key to winning the presidency. He is most often named as the candidate with the right experience to be president (27%), as the one with the best chance of beating the Democratic nominee in the general election next November (26%) and as the strongest leader in the large field of GOP contenders (21%). He is also more often seen as the candidate with the clearest vision for the country's future (19%), who cares the most about people like you (18%), and who most closely shares your values (19%).

On one metric, however, Bush has an emerging challenger. While 18% see Bush as the candidate who best represents the future of the Republican Party, the same share say fellow Floridian Rubio is the best representation of the GOP's future. Paul, at 10%, is the only other candidate in double digits on this question.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Joementum posted:

Air Force One, April 1993.

The Clinton Library posts archive photos here: https://instagram.com/wjclibrary42/

Do you have a more definite source that this is actually on one of the VC-25's? The window looks too round to me.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Full 50 page report on polling

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2015/images/04/20/cnnorc2016poll04202015.pdf

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

quote:

This was not entirely true. Faced with the audience, some of the candidates flourished; others withered. Bush, one of the presumptive front-runners, gave a flaccid performance that received only polite, tepid applause. Introduced awkwardly as “a member of one of the most decent families in the United States”, he stumbled over words, and mixed his metaphors.

“Behind the [president’s] desk, you can’t have an empty slate,” he said at one point.

lol

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Nth Doctor posted:

Do you have a more definite source that this is actually on one of the VC-25's? The window looks too round to me.

Yeah, looks like she was giving a speech on her own at UT-Austin, so probably wouldn't be AF1.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Ol' Jeb might be even more similar to his dear brother than even we've been giving him credit for.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

!

quote:

Kasich filed paperwork Monday for a so-called 527 organization, New Day For America, that can raise and spend unlimited sums. The officers of the political group include former U.S. Senator John Sununu of New Hampshire.

Sununu!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sunununu.

BAH-DAAAA DA-NANA

Sunununu.

BAH-DAAAA DAH-DAAAAA

Sunununu!

BAH-DAAAA DA-NANA, DA-NANA, DA-NANA-NANA NA DAH-DAAA-DA

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Gravel Gravy posted:

He's a Charlestonian confirmed bachelor that lives his life so far bland and secretive there isn't much on him and anyone that did offer a serious suggestion would likely wake up to a horsehead in their bed.

Likely just wants to push his views on a more national stage to make for a compliant Presidential candidate.

He isn't from Charleston, he is from upstate South Carolina, around the Greenville/Clemson area and was their House rep for years.

Also in more Graham news, he is upset he hasn't got his own sugar daddy yet (or is still upset that Obama lied to his bro McCain about taking public financing)

quote:

"We've got to figure out a way to fix this mess, because basically 50 people are running the whole show," Graham told Reuters.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/04/20/wonkbook-graham-says-campaign-donors-have-too-much-power/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
WHAT ABOUT HIS GAFFES?

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Republican Jeb Bush will visit three U.S. allies, Germany, Poland and Estonia, in early June to get a first-hand view of European economic and security challenges as he explores a run for his party's U.S. presidential nomination in 2016, a Bush aide said on Monday.

A Bush aide said the 62-year-old Bush, the brother of former President George W. Bush, has yet to decide whether to run. Other sources close to Bush's camp have said his team has discussed the possibility of an announcement in June, after the trip.

Kiss my rear end, this is a holy site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

lamentable dustman posted:

He isn't from Charleston, he is from upstate South Carolina, around the Greenville/Clemson area and was their House rep for years.

Also in more Graham news, he is upset he hasn't got his own sugar daddy yet (or is still upset that Obama lied to his bro McCain about taking public financing)

Really? When I lived down there I always heard him referred to as a "Charleston Dandy".

• Locked thread