Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Joementum posted:

Manchin's staying in the Senate, so that seat's safe for the Democrats.

Was about to say this. Though now I am curious to see who we can cajole to run for governor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

Manchin's staying in the Senate, so that seat's safe for the Democrats.

WV goons, is he personally popular enough or has the state's electorate shifted too much for him to survive?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

WV goons, is he personally popular enough or has the state's electorate shifted too much for him to survive?

He's only loosely a Democrat. He'll sail to re-election in 2018.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Well, thats a long way off. If 2018 turns into another 2010 (unpopular Dem president, off year election, economic woes, overreach by Dem elected officials) and the Republicans nominate a competent candidate then he might lose. He certainly starts off ahead though.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He's only loosely a Democrat. He'll sail to re-election in 2018.

As far as red state Dems go, he's actually pretty great. He votes with us on procedural issues and on most bills. Unlike, say, certain other Democrats who have long since passed on to the great lobbyist firm in the sky (K Street). But I wouldn't say he'll sail to re-election in 2018. Manchin is popular now, but 2018 is a long ways away and even popular politicians can be swallowed up in unfavorable climates.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Cliff Racer posted:

Probably about the same, assuming he hasn't been doing any scandalous poo poo that hasn't broken yet. The real key is that PA political insiders hate Sestak and he doesn't particularly like them in return. As to candidate quality, ehh, Sestak wasn't bad last time around and lost mostly because of the 2010 wave. Rematches might not look the best but candidates have come out and won them before.

Sestak is awful. Just awful. His consultants are awful. He can't win a race to save his life. Shapiro would make a far better candidate.

I think PA political insiders hate him for a reason - he and his team run elections like it's 1992 and have absolutely no idea what they are doing. He would spoil an otherwise winnable race. That's beyond the whole Arlen Specter issue.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I honestly couldn't imagine Specter surviving 2010 no matter what he did. His only option would have been to switch from R to I caucusing with D (instead of just "D" which is what he did) and then run full tilt on being an independent. That probably would have involved also voting against some of the Democratic legislation he voted for in that last year and a half but I'm not sure which things that would be. Maybe Obamacare but maybe not.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Was about to say this. Though now I am curious to see who we can cajole to run for governor.

Joe Manchin IV

alternatively see if y'all can whip up an Earl Tomblin III

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Gyges posted:

That would keep him from making his triumphant return to the NFL via one of the teams who are totally talking to his agent about signing him. Also the Florida Republicans don't need to stoop to sports stars.

If he does well, Tebow could jump into the Pennsylvania Senate race.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/report--eagles-plan-to-sign-tim-tebow-at-fourth-qb-on-monday-230425075.html

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

Joe Manchin IV

alternatively see if y'all can whip up an Earl Tomblin III

JM4 isn't very popular within the political machinery. The likely candidates are Jeff Kessler, who's made something of a name for himself since the Republican take over of the state legislature by not being afraid to be a Democrat, Natalie Tennant and I hear Booth Goodwin (which would be in keeping with awesome named candidates.) Goodwin has lower name rec, but is well connected and has served as a USAG for several years.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

JM4 isn't very popular within the political machinery.

I was joking I didn't know yall had another Joe

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

I was joking I didn't know yall had another Joe

Two more actually! If I remember correctly, little Joe (IV) is currently serving as a superintendent for one of the county Board of Education's that got taken over. I suppose he could eventually worm his way into state-level politics, but he's not nearly as good as his father.

Spooky Forum Ghost
Mar 9, 2015
The ten Republicans who voted for Loretta Lynch this afternoon:

quote:

Kelly Ayotte (N.H.), Thad Cochran (Miss.), Susan Collins (Maine), Jeff Flake (Ariz.), Lindsey Graham (S.C.), Orrin Hatch (Utah), Ron Johnson (Wis.), Mark Kirk (Ill.), Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

More White Noise posted:

The ten Republicans who voted for Loretta Lynch this afternoon:

Most of those I can understand because they're basically the "remaining shreds of sanity clinging to the mast amidst the maelstrom" caucus but then Lindsey Graham is on there and I'm baffled.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Most of those I can understand because they're basically the "remaining shreds of sanity clinging to the mast amidst the maelstrom" caucus but then Lindsey Graham is on there and I'm baffled.

Not really that baffling: Graham's on the Judiciary Committee, and he was apparently impressed by Lynch ("She's qualified," he said in an interview). Additionally, Graham, for all his foreign policy bluster, tends to be one of the more moderate GOP senators on (some elements of) domestic policy.

The real name that sticks out on there is Ron Johnson, but then, this is a pretty naked move to shore up some moderate credibility as he heads into a tough re-election fight.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FAUXTON posted:

Lindsey aspires to be viewed as this cycle's Huntsman.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Franco Potente posted:

Not really that baffling: Graham's on the Judiciary Committee, and he was apparently impressed by Lynch ("She's qualified," he said in an interview). Additionally, Graham, for all his foreign policy bluster, tends to be one of the more moderate GOP senators on (some elements of) domestic policy.

The real name that sticks out on there is Ron Johnson, but then, this is a pretty naked move to shore up some moderate credibility as he heads into a tough re-election fight.
Same could be said of Kirk.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Oracle posted:

Same could be said of Kirk.

Even more so than Graham, I'd count Kirk as one of the true moderate Republican senators (except on Israel, where he is relentlessly hawkish). No doubt part of the calculus of his vote was the re-election he has to face this year, but I think that, even if wasn't coming up on an election year, he'd probably have voted aye. He usually ends up as a crossover vote in these situations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yets be honest, if he didn't cross over on stuff like this all the time (so even when elections aren't imminent) he'd be a dead man walking come voting day. He probably is anyway just due to polarization and state voting trends. The real surprise there is that Toomey didn't vote Aye. I wonder why.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Franco Potente posted:

Graham is, at least according to that one chart that gets posted on occasion, one of the few Republican figures of note that votes more liberal than he talks.

Zaleov
Dec 11, 2005

NAM OT NWONK AIXELSYD LABREV FO ESAC EREVES TSOM EHT EVAH UOY

Taerkar posted:

Graham is, at least according to that one chart that gets posted on occasion, one of the few Republican figures of note that votes more liberal than he talks.

I thought that Graham was one of the last remaining members of the school of thought that the President should be able to have whatever political operatives he wants, and the Senate's job is merely to make sure the nominees are qualified. See also, his vote for Elena Kagan's confirmation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elena_Kagan_Supreme_Court_nomination#Full_Senate

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Lindsey aspires to be viewed as this cycle's Huntsman.

I wonder if Mr Graham posts on Something Awful too?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) is now running for Rubio's seat.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I wonder if Mr Graham posts on Something Awful too?

Does Three Olives post all that much anymore?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Joementum posted:

Rep. Ron DeSantis (R-FL) is now running for Rubio's seat.

Florida is dumb enough to elect him too. Come on Florida Democrats, pull a rabbit out of your hat and put up someone electable.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We have basically nothing down here, which is what happens when you have 20 years of one party rule.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

We have basically nothing down here, which is what happens when you have 20 years of one party rule.

Hey, one of Canada's most conservative provinces just replaced a 44-year conservative hegemony with a majority left-wing government. Never give up :obama:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Franco Potente posted:

Hey, one of Canada's most conservative provinces just replaced a 44-year conservative hegemony with a majority left-wing government. Never give up :obama:

Canada has a lot of nice things that America doesn't.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Franco Potente posted:

Is there a basic writeup of that whole thing somewhere for us USians who have next to know knowledge of Canuckistani provincial politics? I got the gist (left-center NDP ousts right-wing PC) but the background and details elude me, like how these parties relate to Canada's national parties and what the hell is Wildrose?

And the CanadaPol thread wasn't really helpful within about a dozen pages, just TVIVing the election results.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Is there a basic writeup of that whole thing somewhere for us USians who have next to know knowledge of Canuckistani provincial politics? I got the gist (left-center NDP ousts right-wing PC) but the background and details elude me, like how these parties relate to Canada's national parties and what the hell is Wildrose?

And the CanadaPol thread wasn't really helpful within about a dozen pages, just TVIVing the election results.

As an uneducated American having read a little bit about this, Wildrose is basically the Albertan version of the Tea Party.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

As an uneducated American having read a little bit about this, Wildrose is basically the Albertan version of the Tea Party.

Their whole Tea Party thing happened 20 years ago (Reform/Alliance), with it cannibalizing the old conservative party and reabsorbing it. Stephen Harper's from the Reform wing.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So why is it that Rubio can't run for his Senate seat in 2016? I know he's running for the presidential nomination, but if he doesn't get it he should still be able to seek reelection, right?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There would most likely be time for him to file for Florida's state-office primaries, yes, but he told the party that they should start looking for his replacement the week before he announced his Presidential campaign.

The rumor is that his backup plan, in case he doesn't become President, is to run for Governor in 2018 when Scott is term-limited out.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

That just seems like an odd plan because a lot of things could happen between now and Iowa. I mean, I know that he doesn't actually ever bother to show up or do any work at the Senate but this seems a bit premature.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
nm wrong topic

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Dr. Tough posted:

That just seems like an odd plan because a lot of things could happen between now and Iowa. I mean, I know that he doesn't actually ever bother to show up or do any work at the Senate but this seems a bit premature.

It's not a terrible plan, especially since unexpectedly giving up his seat may flush out some of his rivals for Governor, and take one out of contention.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

There would most likely be time for him to file for Florida's state-office primaries, yes, but he told the party that they should start looking for his replacement the week before he announced his Presidential campaign.

The rumor is that his backup plan, in case he doesn't become President, is to run for Governor in 2018 when Scott is term-limited out.

If (when) his presidential primary campaign implodes, I look forward to him doing lots of crazy poo poo while sitting around jobless and powerless from 2016-2018 to try to stay relevant until his gubernatorial campaign can start.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Morrow posted:

It's not a terrible plan, especially since unexpectedly giving up his seat may flush out some of his rivals for Governor, and take one out of contention.

It also reenforces his presidential campaign. He's a super serious candidate who isn't hanging onto a back-up plan, like certain other candidates. He may even have figured that it was a necessary move in order to make a real play for big donors. Also, even if he flames out spectacularly, there was pretty much no way he wasn't going to get primaried by a bunch of assholes who smelled blood in the water. A situation Rubio is quite familiar with considering how he drove Crist out of the party in his quest for the Senate seat in the first place. He can't effectively fight off challengers to his Senate seat while running for the Presidential Nomination, and by the time the first 3 primaries forced him out he'd be kind of hosed in his Senate race.

Add in the real possibility that Hillary carries Florida by enough to provide coat tails to the Democratic candidate, and the Senate seat becomes a lot less desirable. Especially when taking over after Rick Scott is a pretty doable back up plan to being President.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Marlin "We Have To Get Something And I Don't Even Know What That Is" Stutzman is running for Senate in Indiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

withak posted:

If (when) his presidential primary campaign implodes, I look forward to him doing lots of crazy poo poo while sitting around jobless and powerless from 2016-2018 to try to stay relevant until his gubernatorial campaign can start.

It wouldn't really be that long. He's still in the Senate until January 2017 and he'll probably be busy helping the Republican nominee and/or candidate for Senate in 2016 to build up favors and network locally. Then you figure the "Invisible Primary" stuff for Florida governor probably starts mid-to-late 2017 (Crist announced on Nov. 1st 2013 and presumably was laying groundwork in advance of that).

• Locked thread