Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Because it's classical visual short-hand for doctors in any sort of media, especially media aimed at children?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Howard Beale posted:

Wait, Curly's girl is real? :psyduck:

Curly has a girl. But only as comedy relief.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Wanamingo posted:

Do doctors even use those mirror things anymore?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mister Kingdom posted:

Do doctors even use those mirror things anymore?

No, because you can have a bright LED that does the job way better. Hell, even before LEDs you had tiny incandescent lights that were still way better than the head mirror.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Thought for sure it'd be the guy with a cast, since a REAL injured person knows you walk with the crutch on the same side as your good foot. Inspector Danger has used this important information to send people up the river before, but I guess this time he doesn't care.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kismet posted:

This character design is making me extremely uncomfortable.
I was going to say you were over-reacting because it wasn't like he'd been asking for money in exchange for his help, but whelp.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Julet Esqu posted:

Thought for sure it'd be the guy with a cast, since a REAL injured person knows you walk with the crutch on the same side as your good foot. Inspector Danger has used this important information to send people up the river before, but I guess this time he doesn't care.
Inspector Danger has never cared about anything, ever. He is the worst possible detective.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Intelligent Life

She's not a fan of specific shows, just the services that provide access to those shows.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I'm a huge fatass and I couldnt finish three pizzas. Not even Mediums. I'd be barfing long before I had three kinds of ice cream and that much soda.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Ghostlight posted:

I was going to say you were over-reacting because it wasn't like he'd been asking for money in exchange for his help, but whelp.

I have to say I don't understand what you guys are talking about, is it hitting close to some kind of stereotype? I sorta guess based on one reply that it's something todo with jews.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

It's for when he's binge watching Vine.

Mary Worth

"I'm busy. Yes, all week. The whole week not a single evening with a couple hours to spare. How about never? Is never good for you?"

Rex Morgan MD

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I'm a huge fatass and I couldnt finish three pizzas. Not even Mediums. I'd be barfing long before I had three kinds of ice cream and that much soda.
Maybe the pizzas were for the whole weekend. Pizza leftovers are great as long as you don't microwave anything with onions on it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

His Divine Shadow posted:

I have to say I don't understand what you guys are talking about, is it hitting close to some kind of stereotype? I sorta guess based on one reply that it's something todo with jews.
I do want to say that I don't think it's in any way intentional, but because I think it's accidental I do find it mildly amusing how closely Trullus adheres to the below description.

quote:

All of the tropes established by centuries of anti-Semitic iconography in Europe are here: the grotesquely hooked nose, the scheming hands, the evil smile, the wild beard, the misshapen spine, the bulging eyes.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostlight posted:

I was about ready to defend the character by saying that he's less malicious and more mercantile, but you know, that's really not much better.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's a bridge troll's toll.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

His shield is clearly deflecting that ray blast! :doom:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

Big Ben Bolt

:ohdear: This just isn't the Greer family's day.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Julet Esqu posted:

Prince Valiant

o/` Meeeeeemoooooorieeeeeees.... o/`

You guys should read this.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Tobaccrow posted:

Maybe the pizzas were for the whole weekend. Pizza leftovers are great as long as you don't microwave anything with onions on it.

Why? I do that all the time with pizza, and I'm not dead yet. :v:

Jane's World did not update.

Non Sequitur

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Kliban

Now that is a drat fine catte.

9 Chickweed Lane 4/20/2004

Zits

Kevin & Kell

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Wanamingo posted:

I was about ready to defend the character by saying that he's less malicious and more mercantile, but you know, that's really not much better.

FWIW I googled "sacacuartos" the other day figuring it must mean something in Spanish, and it does: it's slang for swindler, rip off merchant, money-grabbing, etc

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac presents us with a continuation of the piano saga:

The Creeps hacks their lives. (up onto the carpet.)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Intelligent Life

Retail

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Boy oh boy I can't wait to see what Stuart has to say into a telephone about this one!!!

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

FWIW I googled "sacacuartos" the other day figuring it must mean something in Spanish, and it does: it's slang for swindler, rip off merchant, money-grabbing, etc

well

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows a good car when they see it.

Working Daze does not understand how perspective works.

Today's George Takei's brithday; I'm amazed Zakour didn't have some fanwank comic about it.

DAYS SINCE THE NEW STAR WARS TRAILER AND ZAKOUR MAKING A JOKE ABOUT IT: 4

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Has there ever been a Phantom storyline where the villain of the day is a corrupt Jungle Patrol leader who starts using the JP for evil, because the Unknown Commander is never around and thus obviously can't stop them?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

DAYS SINCE THE NEW STAR WARS TRAILER AND ZAKOUR MAKING A JOKE ABOUT IT: 4

Come on zakour, you're slacking off! Here, I'll help you:

He fat nerd wife is holding the router cable or the router in one hand and says "of course you can watch the Star Wars trailer again, but only after you've taken out the trash" the fat nerd husband kneels on the floor in front of her with a Darth Vader mask on and screams "nooooooooo".
You can even draw the fat nerd wife in a dressing gown to show of some cleavage!

It's got everything, lazy trailer reference, lazy nerd stuff, lazy "those dames" sexism. You can have that one for free.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And now, before posting my usual comics, I bring you a warning: Every one of you listening to my voice, tell the world. Tell this to everybody, wherever they are. Watch the skies. Everywhere. Keep looking! Keep Watching the Skies Comix!

Containment protocols have failed! They're turning, and it's happening faster than we thought! They've become Ballard Dogs, every one of them!

Ballard Street

EVACUATE! Get as many people as you can, and God help the ones you can't.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (February 20, 1928)

Peanuts (April 21, 1968)

Funky Winkerbean

Popeye

Olive is like a picnic ant. One hint of sugar and she descends like a swarm.

Rip Haywire

Well, that was mildly disappointing. Wait, somebody slipped a note under the door.

Well. WELL.

Um...well?

Out Our Way (January 12-13, 1927)

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
So none of the other dogs in Pooch Cafe are fixed? Yikes.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Green Intern posted:

Has there ever been a Phantom storyline where the villain of the day is a corrupt Jungle Patrol leader who starts using the JP for evil, because the Unknown Commander is never around and thus obviously can't stop them?
Literally the reason why the Jungle Patrol is led by the Unknown Commander is because a Phantom was murdered by a pirate who infiltrated the Jungle Patrol to attack him because he was always around.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
So on the topic of Outland. Is there actually any story arcs in it, or is each strip a Sunday-sized one-off full of non sequiturs and bizarre imagery? Because I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as I did Bloom County.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Geomancing posted:

So on the topic of Outland. Is there actually any story arcs in it, or is each strip a Sunday-sized one-off full of non sequiturs and bizarre imagery? Because I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as I did Bloom County.

The former, I'm afraid. Outland might have been an attempt at recharging Berke's creative batteries by starting over with a mostly new cast, but instead it just continued the decline evident near the end of BC.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Yeah, but I bet the deck can do it without having a lovely look on its face the whole time.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Just get Luann a Magic 8 Ball and let her make all her life decisions on that.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imgur didn't want to cooperate this morning! So have some late comics!

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

and yesterday's Foxtrot finally posted!

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Selachian posted:

The former, I'm afraid. Outland might have been an attempt at recharging Berke's creative batteries by starting over with a mostly new cast, but instead it just continued the decline evident near the end of BC.

Outland and Opus both have a "whole was greater than sum of parts" thing working, like Pixies solo projects.

EDIT

The colorist wasn't.

Hoover Dam fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 21, 2015

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

This reminds me of a Dustin strip from a while back where he has a lemonade stand, and he's selling it with vodka mixed in. I tried that combination myself, and it turns out that vodka and lemonade makes for a pretty darn good adult beverage.

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Deep Dark Fears

gently caress mushrooms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Reading Juliet Jones and Rip Kirby makes me realize how bland most of today's soap-opera strips are in both art and writing.

Reading Working Daze and Dilbert makes me miss My Cage a little. It wasn't amazing, but at least the characters were tolerable.

Selachian posted:

Oddly enough, I thought Bloom County was the only one of the three big '80s comic strips (the other two being Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side) that didn't really slide in quality towards the end.

• Locked thread