Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Oh man I'm just joking :d: I love your app, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

pokeyman posted:

I'm trying to picture some kind of exercise that's immobile enough to be looking at the forums, but in a setting where a phone or an iPad doesn't work. I'm failing.

You could always do a bookmark checker. Ping users when their bookmark threads are updated or let them check on the watch so they can see if they are, then let them open them up on the phone.

It's something I would love to do with the Microsoft Band, should they let us make actual apps with it :argh:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Subjunctive posted:

quote:

when quoting posts, the text of the quote used to appear instantly, now it takes several seconds

This one I just don't get (it's come up before in this thread) and I feel like I must be missing something. Before, Awful would send off a network request, scrape out the quoted post, and only then modally present the text view with the text inserted. Now it presents as soon as you tap "quote", and inserts the text once it arrives. I've been assuming it's just a perception issue, but did I gently caress something up here? A Wheezy Steampunk, if you're reading this, call in with your thoughts.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh man I'm just joking :d: I love your app, man.

I have zero desire to make a watch app, I was just trying to picture such an odd scenario. "My treadmill's screen is real narrow!"

Drastic Actions posted:

You could always do a bookmark checker. Ping users when their bookmark threads are updated or let them check on the watch so they can see if they are, then let them open them up on the phone.

I've long wanted to make a Today widget that shows bookmarked threads. I don't even know if I'd use it, but I want to make a Today widget.

(This is also why stuff like Handoff gets implemented before other, more mundane improvements.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

T

This one I just don't get (it's come up before in this thread) and I feel like I must be missing something. Before, Awful would send off a network request, scrape out the quoted post, and only then modally present the text view with the text inserted. Now it presents as soon as you tap "quote", and inserts the text once it arrives. I've been assuming it's just a perception issue, but did I gently caress something up here? A Wheezy Steampunk, if you're reading this, call in with your thoughts.
[/quote]

he problem is that the quote gets inserted at the caret point, so if the response is slow or typing fast, then it ends up at the wrong place. If you actually take advantage of the asynchrony by typing during the network request, you lose, so it isn't any better than the old model in terms of speed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

T

he problem is that the quote gets inserted at the caret point, so if the response is slow or typing fast, then it ends up at the wrong place. If you actually take advantage of the asynchrony by typing during the network request, you lose, so it isn't any better than the old model in terms of speed.
[/quote]

I can only hope that was intentional.

That makes total sense and, if it is indeed the complaint, the next version fixes it nicely (people on the beta are free to disagree of course).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

I can only hope that was intentional.

That makes total sense and, if it is indeed the complaint, the next version fixes it nicely (people on the beta are free to disagree of course).

It wasn't intentional, but I did decide to leave it rather than fix it. I hit it a lot, because I'm in such a hurry to :justpost:.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Subjunctive posted:

It wasn't intentional, but I did decide to leave it rather than fix it. I hit it a lot, because I'm in such a hurry to :justpost:.

It's much better now (just switched to beta on this device), but I think it's keeping autocapitalization from working at the start of the first sentence?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
Please add the functionality for yosposters with the Apple watch to be able to share their heartbeats with each other when posting about how great Apple is.

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

I updated to 8.3 on my 5S and I'm running Awful 3.2. The functionality bar switched to the bottom and the text size on thread titles is too large.

I really liked the side menu I had before I updated yesterday and I'm not sure if these changes are a result of an app change or the update to 8.3 :(

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It just sounds like you were on a pretty old version of Awful and when you installed 8.3 it re-downloaded the current build. The sidemenu has been dead for quite some time now.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Re: last post on the page vs. last in thread

The only thing I can think of that no one has mentioned is to give the post(s) some sort of small colored border. Maybe have it start at the bottom of the post and gradually lighten/fade out about halfway up.

I have no idea if that's feasible as I haven't really seen anything in the app do something similar (and I don't know if there's some way to tell which post is the last with the information the app pulls).

Personally I'm fine with the "end of thread" as is - most of the time I see it before I try to scroll down to go to the next page.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Show "-20-" below the last post in a thread, a -> tappable for the last post on a page?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Is there anything special about this thread as far as the app is concerned? A couple of times I've hit the Settings link and the thread will appear unread, starting me at the first post.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I don't like the super-spaced-out mockup (even though it is prettier) because I prefer to scroll less.

Re: next page vs last page: could have a triangle at the bottom corner (like a page-turn symbol) to indicate "next page" and keep "end of thread" otherwise? I do also like the circle for dragging, but I'd suggest having some distinct shape for end-of-thread in that case. Perhaps filled circle for next page, empty rectangle for last page?

Maybe I'll try to do some mockups myself when I'm back on my comp (no promises).

Bug reports!
• In Awful Browser portrait mode, tap-and-hold on a URL. This used to pop up a "copy URL, open in safari, something else" menu that had the URL itself as the menu title, but now the URL just un-highlights and nothing happens. ...unless you switch to landscape mode! But it vanishes again if you go back to portrait. :ghost:

• While composing a reply in portrait, switch to landscape. The reply sheet disappears. :ghost::ghost:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Trying to load the rap sheet of the user in this post causes a repeatable crash: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626454&perpage=40&pagenumber=47#post443776065

iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.2 latest awful

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

the yeti posted:

Trying to load the rap sheet of the user in this post causes a repeatable crash: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3626454&perpage=40&pagenumber=47#post443776065

Happens here too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Fumbled fingered away another bookmark. Shake to undo crashed my app

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
My bookmarks screen has this empty space at the bottom now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just pushed the trivial fix for

quote:

when you mark a post as "thread read up to this point" there used to be a little popup confirming the action, now i have to squint and see if the post changed to a slightly darker color (a big problem with the system 7 mac-yospos theme)

I'll try to look at the camera crash soon, but I'm not sure where to risk posting garbage photos as I test.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Subjunctive posted:

I'll try to look at the camera crash soon, but I'm not sure where to risk posting garbage photos as I test.

find a cat, problem solved

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

It's much better now (just switched to beta on this device), but I think it's keeping autocapitalization from working at the start of the first sentence?

Could be, I'll take a look.

Abjad Soup posted:

Bug reports!
• In Awful Browser portrait mode, tap-and-hold on a URL. This used to pop up a "copy URL, open in safari, something else" menu that had the URL itself as the menu title, but now the URL just un-highlights and nothing happens. ...unless you switch to landscape mode! But it vanishes again if you go back to portrait. :ghost:

• While composing a reply in portrait, switch to landscape. The reply sheet disappears. :ghost::ghost:

Will take a look at these too.

the yeti posted:

Hooray!

jivjov posted:

Fumbled fingered away another bookmark. Shake to undo crashed my app

Shows you how often I use this "feature".

GutBomb posted:

My bookmarks screen has this empty space at the bottom now.

Uhh that's pretty weird, any idea how to reproduce it?

Subjunctive posted:

The project.log thread is a safe space for dumb poo poo. Or you can do what I do, set a breakpoint just before the post actually posts and return early from the method.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Is something weird with the keyboard in 8.3?

I can't get the emotes to copy and paste properly in Messages, though sorry if I missed that as a known thing.

Trying to send :homebrew: and it says it copied, but every time I paste I'm just getting a YouTube link I copied a while back.

e: Also going to this post, telling it to copy the emote directly, and pasting from there worked. So it seems to be the emote keyboard not actually copying.

ee: And reinstalling fixed it. DISREGARD! :haw:

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 15, 2015

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

More shenanigans! All on iOS 8.2 and on the latest App Store update to Awful (3.2; sorry I haven't specified in my previous posts).

If you long-press on a link to show the sharing menu and keep touching the screen after it comes up, you can then drag that finger to scroll the backgrounded+tinted thread around.

If you open someone's profile in portrait, the giant blurred-out avatar background (behind the actual avatar) only extends about 1/3 down the area it's supposed to fill, with the remainder as a formless gray void. Seems to happen on most profiles (e.g. Dewgy, JivJov, and mine on this page), but not all -- Pokeyman's background seems to only have this issue while it's (re)loading the avatar, and fixes itself a couple seconds after opening the profile. Might be in the weird state only until it finishes rendering the larger + blurred version? Also seems to happen much more frequently and/or persist longer when viewing the profiles in portrait orientation.

If you open someone's profile dialog* in landscape orientation, it disappears if you switch to portrait. You can then scroll around and even open someone else's profile sheet in portrait orientation; if you switch back to landscape, the portrait profile sheet will be closed but the initial landscape profile dialog* returns :ghost:!! The portrait profile sheet stays closed when you return to portrait though.

*I'm calling the landscape profile popup a "dialog" to distinguish it from the portrait profile sheet thing, since they behave qualitatively differently here. Not sure of the actual behind-the-scenes terminology in Cocoa Touch or in the Awful codebase.

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!
How do you close the acknowledgments section? I can't seem to do it without closing the whole app.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why would you want to?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Getting thread triplication in the forum display. The thread is bookmarked, but I haven't posted in it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

Getting thread triplication in the forum display. The thread is bookmarked, but I haven't posted in it.

Clearly the thread was promoted by Wildstar and pokeyman's pocketing the money.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Anyone else have an issue lately with pictures not loading? Tried a log out / log in to no avail.

e: seems to be an issue with my carrier or maybe imgur, happening if I view the forums in safari too.

baram. fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 17, 2015

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Can I add someone to my ignore list through Awful?I tried clicking the arrow next to their name, and also going to their profile. Neither worked.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
No idea if this has been posted about yet, but trying to remove the last of a Favorited subforum results in the whole app crashing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Got everything mentioned up to here, thanks y'all.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can I add someone to my ignore list through Awful?I tried clicking the arrow next to their name, and also going to their profile. Neither worked.

Not yet, but it's on the list.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Sometimes I'll have a forum expanded to show its sub-forums. If I exit the app and come back sometimes the "show sub-forums" icon is pointing down yet the sub-forums are not expanded out. It seems to be dependant on the length of time between exiting the app and starting it again. If I tap the icon it'll reset itself. Taping it a second time correctly expands the sub-forums.

Here's a screenshot showing what I mean. Look at the icon next to Serious Hardware / Software Crap.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Woohoo bottom bar is the right color in night mode again! In the beta at least.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

uploading pictures from library is still causing a crash on 3.3 beta.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

baram. posted:

Yep came to post this also. Also when I take a screenshot with the phone when I try to upload it, the preview is very low res is that normal?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

baram. posted:

Took a swing at this tonight but didn't quite get there. Some crash somewhere in NSProgress. I'm too frustrated to keep looking, if anybody else wants to try it's on the fix-image-uploading branch.

Disappointing Pie posted:

Also when I take a screenshot with the phone when I try to upload it, the preview is very low res is that normal?

Probably. Awful asks the asset management library for a thumbnail so whatever it sends back is what we show.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I missed the option to pull unread posts to the top until I reinstalled the other day, despite suggesting it once or twice way back. well done guys!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Took a swing at this tonight but didn't quite get there. Some crash somewhere in NSProgress. I'm too frustrated to keep looking, if anybody else wants to try it's on the fix-image-uploading branch.

I thought I'd try bisecting this, but...swift version incompatibility. :smithicide:

I guess I could roll back XCode...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I get a crash on the released version every time I scroll to the bottom of a rap sheet.

• Locked thread