Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

While I'm making it out that coming off a lovely regime with drinks isnt brilliant, the positives are also just as fast to become clear, just I want to make sure they are real and not just fluctuations. I know quite drat well fad diets are awful for weightloss but getting rid of anything but water (and your caffeine repalcement) is proven to be really good for you, just rather surprised it's this positive this fast.

I had a buddy that was working out and eating well but was still having issues losing fat around his mid section, I suggested he cut out his lovely drinks (he literally had multiple cases of Gatorade and sodas stacked next to his fridge at the time) and he saw results almost instantly, and has been doing well ever since so it doesn't surprise me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have kept out of the loop in terms of technology, but we have these god awful lexmark printers at work. I hate them fuckers with a passion, I just want to go all office space on them on a daily basis.

In other news, I am finally getting my heat dialed in right on my welder, and really starting to get this welding thing figured out. I am still not perfect, but I am really getting there.

We have a single Lexmark printer.

It will be replaced shortly for....reasons.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

leica posted:

I had a buddy that was working out and eating well but was still having issues losing fat around his mid section,

Yeeeeep that's me. Cant shift it so gently caress it, clearly exercise isnt going to get rid of it. I'm not going to eat less, I'm just simply going to eat better and drop out the easy sugar and lovely drinks.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I hate Brother printers. The one my parents had was terrible at network connectivity that they used to just bring their laptops to it and hook them up directly.

And if it was out of any color, it wouldn't print!

We have a color laser Samsung and have had it over a year with pretty much no upkeep. We even did all the save the dates and wedding invites with it. It handled card stock just fine!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

No idea why, but the guest bedroom network jack crapped out today. I was watching TV in there (remember, PC is acting as a TV tuner and DVR) this morning and it was fine, went back in there later and no connection at all. Re-punched the jack, re-punched the block, replaced the jack, replaced the cable (both at the PC end at the switch end), still nothing. Finally punched it down on a different port on the block and it works fine. :wtc:

CommieGIR posted:

At home we have a Samsung color laser printer, and we've had zero issues with that.

Mine's a Samsung monochrome laser printer (ML-1865W to be exact). The only issue I've had has been with it losing the settings at random, it seems to be incredibly sensitive to power quality. That and an occasional issue with remanufactured toner cartridges streaking, but since I buy them locally (from a goon even), I just take it back with a print sample and I get handed another one, no hassle. That's a manufacturing issue with the cartridges anyway, and can't be blamed on the printer.

I really should put a power conditioner on it.

My biggest gripe is I only get about 1500 pages out of a cartridge, and once it decides it's empty (even though it's not even fading/streaking), it shuts down. At least most Brother printers can be fooled with a piece of tape.. or at least you used to be able to do that.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

All printers are hitler, but Brother is supposedly the least terrible brand. I have their HL-2270DW model and haven't had any problems with it.

That's the model I almost pulled the trigger on awhile back. Duplexing and wireless are both requirements for the next printer. Built in Google Cloud Print and wifi direct printing would be pretty spiffy too.

In fact, this looks like it fits the bill perfectly.

mafoose posted:

That's A Thing with many, many printers.

Senior Funkenstien posted:

I was gifted a Brother Inkjet and it has never let me down after I cleared the lines with about 20 inkjet cleaning cycles.

I found a Canon MP280 in a dumpster during dorm move out a few years ago. It'd been in the rain for at least a day, but I snagged it anyway. Let it dry out a few days, plugged it in, and... it'd print color, but no black.

Pulled the cartridge out. The black cartridge still had the seal on it. :laffo:

I use it mostly as a scanner, but I'll actually print with it whenever I need color, or don't feel like waddling into the next room (where the laser printer is). It's reasonably quick for an inkjet (once it goes through the ka-chunk ka-chunk ka-chunk ka-chunk whirrrrrrrrrr that all inkjets seem to do before they start printing the first page). I did find out that with remanufactured cartridges, they either read empty or error, and it'll refuse to print until you do some kind of dance with the buttons on it. It's also out of black ink at the moment. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Apr 20, 2015

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

blk posted:

I went off caffeine completely about a couple of years ago; eased back into it and now just have one coffee or soda (16 oz max) before 1 PM. This week I cut out alcohol and there's been a noticeable improvement in my sleep quality.

I cut out alcohol for a while and it was wonderful for sleep and health, but I just love delicious booze too much to quit for good.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maksimus54 posted:

I cut out alcohol for a while and it was wonderful for sleep and health, but I just love delicious booze too much to quit for good.

protip you're an alcoholic

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm on day four of no vaping and I feel like strangling someone and chewing gum kind of helps but at this rate my jaw muscles are going to be very defined and also I keep getting these loving massive canker sores

all I can think about is how good wintergreen juice tasted and felt when inhaled at 300°F but then I remember how hurt my wife was that I was still smoking without actually smoking and ughhh

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Fixed your link for you.

Look at the red and green wires on the jack itself. Those are the two wires you need, unless Uverse requires 4 wires (it's a form of DSL, so usually 2 wires). In your case, it looks like the blue and blue/white wires are the ones you need to be concerned with. The black and yellow wires at the jack are for a 2nd phone line.

That's not Cat5 at all, I have no idea what that is.

The installer might suggest a home-run jack - meaning one wired directly to the NID (the box where the telco wiring connects to the house), and usually wired with CAT5. I'd personally do that, UVerse is pretty drat picky about signal quality. If they're actually bringing fiber to the house itself (which is rare), rejoice. If you don't have a POTS line, I'd just have the installer disconnect the house wiring and hook up a home run jack, that eliminates multiple points of failure.

It looks like cat5 to me, just with the jacket stripped way back. Like you said, it's only the red/green wires you need to care about for a single-line POTS system. Yellow/black is for the second line. I have no idea what U-verse does wrt wiring, i.e. if it needs all 4 wires or just 2, but a normal POTS telephone only needs two. I remember it as the Christmas pair (red/green) is for line 1, and the Halloween pair (yellow/black) is for line 2. For tying into cat5, as you seem to have, it's correct to use the blue pair (blue/white and blue) for line 1 (Christmas) and either the green pair (green/white and green) or orange pair (orange/white and orange) for line 2 (Halloween). That is to say, it looks like you have it right.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mariooncrack posted:

I got out of the gym and my Outback failed to turnover. Twice.

Cars with ~11k miles aren't supposed to do that are they? :ohdear:

On the plus side, I was able to install a new head unit in a car yesterday. I know it's not super difficult but it was the first time doing it.

The battery on my Outback died with no explanation with only a few thousand miles on the clock. Subaru replaced it under warranty.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

mafoose posted:

I hate Brother printers. The one my parents had was terrible at network connectivity that they used to just bring their laptops to it and hook them up directly.

The Brother inkjets are dumb enough that a bit of black electrical tape is all you need to fool their sensors into happy thinking color cartridges are full.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That goes for a lot of their lasers too.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Got my mom a Brother HL-2270DW for Christmas a few years back. Normally for printers I hard wire everything because gently caress troubleshooting anything else, but this one I set up via wifi.

They've unplugged it and plugged it back in, moved it around, zero issues. My mother buys two toner packs a year and a WB mason box to do all her invoices and poo poo. A+ would buy again.

At work we use HP and keyocera. The keyoceras are ok, some driver fuckery to make them work (including telling the print server it's an HP). The HPs run the gamut from old battleax that works great to finicky to hot garbage rolling dumpster fires.

Their new plotter series sucks balls to manage but prints beautifully.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

SuperDucky posted:

Also, also, the mitty is this weekend. I have to work saturday so I didn't pay for the BMWCCA corral but I'll be there sunday. If you're in the Southeast and love RoadATL or you've never been there, check it out, looks like its gonna be great fun!
http://www.roadatlanta.com/the-mitty
I might make it but after the poo poo last weekend I'm not sure anymore. I'll post something in here if I do.

honkykong posted:

I just drove home a '12 Focus HB Titanium with 33,333 miles on it.

Yell at me, make fun of me, whatever I don't care. This is awesome to car deprived me.
Nice ride man, those are great little cars.

blk posted:

My landlord tossed me the keys to his M100 Elan tonight and we took it out through some twisties - anyone who poopoos this car because it's FWD should really drive it before judging. Zero torque steer, zero understeer, insane amount of grip and stability - I was going through corners much faster than I had any right to and certainly faster than the Miata. So. Much. Fun.
I'm more of a fan of the first generation ones but any old Lotus is a lot of fun to drive.

Pop chat: I usually just drink water but recently started having one pop/soda/juice a day. I like the flavor and the calories are helpful in my case but I did see a pretty immediate effect on my midsection. Doubt I'll be drinking it for long...I'll stick with water, beer and liquor.

Printers: gently caress printers. We have three in our little office and my laptop will randomly decide which one isn't going to work for a week or two then it changes. It probably doesn't help I run the absolute minimum amount of software possible for printers. HP puts so much poo poo on when all you want is drivers.

Got a text from my brother shortly after getting to work today. His E30 made a strange sound then died, he suspects timing belt. WTF that's three cars since Friday.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

Soda chat: I usually just drink water but recently started having one soda/juice a day. I like the flavor and the calories are helpful in my case but I did see a pretty immediate effect on my midsection. Doubt I'll be drinking it for long...I'll stick with water, beer and liquor.

That's better.

I have nothing else to do here in Cuba. Give me paint ideas.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Geirskogul posted:

That's better.

Gulf Livery

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Geirskogul posted:

That's better.

Plains Indian war pony paint (something I've decided I'd like to do on an eventual beater/project car or truck.)

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
Counting coup on shopping carts and mom tanks! :black101:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm on day four of no vaping and I feel like strangling someone and chewing gum kind of helps but at this rate my jaw muscles are going to be very defined and also I keep getting these loving massive canker sores

all I can think about is how good wintergreen juice tasted and felt when inhaled at 300°F but then I remember how hurt my wife was that I was still smoking without actually smoking and ughhh

Going to quit smoking today so I'll be with you shortly. I usually fail when my blood sugar drops off a cliff and I start panicking.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Arriviste posted:

Plains Indian war pony paint (something I've decided I'd like to do on an eventual beater/project car or truck.)

I'm googling this, and am confused

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Geirskogul posted:

I'm googling this, and am confused

Maybe he's thinking something along the lines of this:

http://pixshark.com/indian-war-horse-symbols.htm

maybe?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

meatpimp posted:

Maybe he's thinking something along the lines of this:

http://pixshark.com/indian-war-horse-symbols.htm

maybe?

Yeah, like that.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
++ to Brother Laser printers. My parents replace one about every 5 years and run them about ~3x the recommend duty cycle.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have declared my home printer-free zone since... 2007? It's worked great. I print what little I need at work, and the three times in eight years I've had an urgent need I've just driven to work and printed there. Beats buying, keeping and maintaining a printer.

I might have to take that fight with the missus soon though... she's moving in, and believes every home should have a printer. Preferably one that needs a trip to the store for $60 worth of ink every time you actually want to use it...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I've had an hp lj1300 at home for well over a decade on some old parallel port jetdirect print server, and it just needs toner (fairly rarely).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

bolind posted:

I have declared my home printer-free zone since... 2007? It's worked great. I print what little I need at work, and the three times in eight years I've had an urgent need I've just driven to work and printed there. Beats buying, keeping and maintaining a printer.

I might have to take that fight with the missus soon though... she's moving in, and believes every home should have a printer. Preferably one that needs a trip to the store for $60 worth of ink every time you actually want to use it...

Just get a laserjet 4 for free, throw 50 bucks worth of rollers and stuff at it, clean the toner out and put a new cartridge in. Pretty sure you will be able to use it well into the next century after that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I love my HP Designjet 510 42" Inkjet CAD printer. Its the ONLY inkjet printer I'll ever own.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Tusen Takk posted:

Just smile and power through. Once you've been without for a week or so, it'll get easier. Then its only 3 weeks to a month, than 5 months to 6, then 6 months to a year, and suddenly you wonder why you ever inhaled that rancid poo poo. I know that vaping is ~less~ gross than real smoking, but its still a bad habit. Glad you are quitting :)

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I believe I've just extricated the remains of a small rodent creature from my shower drain.

gently caress that was nasty.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I had a fantastic dream last night. Met someone somewhere, she turned out to be kind, gorgeous, wealthy beyond imagine, just really every single possible aspect that someone could be a good and successful person aside from the fact we merely befriended eachother then at an event she was hosting her hot insane jealous rage filled older sister got wind of my existence. And it basically devolved from cruel intentions to natural born killers

I appreciate my subconscious knowing exactly what I'm looking for

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

blk posted:

My landlord tossed me the keys to his M100 Elan tonight and we took it out through some twisties - anyone who poopoos this car because it's FWD should really drive it before judging. Zero torque steer, zero understeer, insane amount of grip and stability - I was going through corners much faster than I had any right to and certainly faster than the Miata. So. Much. Fun.

I've always liked the look of these and they sell over here for £5k+ so not exactly expensive...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Going to quit smoking today so I'll be with you shortly. I usually fail when my blood sugar drops off a cliff and I start panicking.
I think you might actually have a better experience because while you're suffering with the lack of nicotine at the same time your sense of smell and taste will be coming back and after that hey i didn't cough of a phlegm ball the size of a kitten today etc. Good on you though :)

Siochain posted:

Just smile and power through. Once you've been without for a week or so, it'll get easier. Then its only 3 weeks to a month, than 5 months to 6, then 6 months to a year, and suddenly you wonder why you ever inhaled that rancid poo poo. I know that vaping is ~less~ gross than real smoking, but its still a bad habit. Glad you are quitting :)
Thanks!! I noticed its not all i think about today, which is good since i'm studying for exams.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tusen Takk posted:

I think you might actually have a better experience because while you're suffering with the lack of nicotine at the same time your sense of smell and taste will be coming back and after that hey i didn't cough of a phlegm ball the size of a kitten today etc. Good on you though :)

One of the biggest reasons for not switching to vaping is that I know it would completely remove any incentive to quit. I really need to get off my rear end and just do it. I'm probably deferring to tomorrow just to finish out a pack.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Latest regular car reviews is up. It's a grand national this week.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

1500quidporsche posted:

One of the biggest reasons for not switching to vaping is that I know it would completely remove any incentive to quit. I really need to get off my rear end and just do it. I'm probably deferring to tomorrow just to finish out a pack.

My friend and coworker, who I've known for 8 years at this point, switched from smoking to vaping about two weeks ago. I don't know what a "normal" amount of vaping is, but I know she's taking 5-8 long pulls about every 8-10 minutes at this point.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Half the people I work with are vaping right now and you can't walk through the back of the store without walking into a big cloud of that stuff. :smith:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Elmnt80 posted:

Half the people I work with are vaping right now and you can't walk through the back of the store without walking into a big cloud of that stuff. :smith:

But it's just propylene glycol, man :smug::smug::smug::smug:

*flicks robot penis full of nicotine @ u*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

I seriously don't mind vaping, as long as people understand that it is STILL smoking to me and I really don't want it in my face regardless of its 'safety'

kastein posted:

But it's just propylene glycol, man :smug::smug::smug::smug:

*flicks robot penis full of nicotine @ u*

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Sigma X posted:

My friend and coworker, who I've known for 8 years at this point, switched from smoking to vaping about two weeks ago. I don't know what a "normal" amount of vaping is, but I know she's taking 5-8 long pulls about every 8-10 minutes at this point.

Its still nicotine though which is my primary problem. I don't want to go through life needing something every 30 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Sigma X posted:

Ugh :barf:

I can see how vaping tobacco might be good for people who want to quit cigarettes or chewing products but then there's probably 2x as many people who do this and are basically doubling down on their addictions.

• Locked thread