Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KonigRasnake
Mar 20, 2014

Simply trying to enjoy some lemonade and magic-head.
Arty is great because you have 30-40 seconds to talk poo poo to the guy you just hit for half his health while 900m away. It's like using a drone, but even less effort.

I am a non-apologetic 53/55 and Conq GC owner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

KonigRasnake posted:

Arty is great because you have 30-40 seconds to talk poo poo to the guy you just hit for half his health while 900m away. It's like using a drone, but even less effort.

I am a non-apologetic 53/55 and Conq GC owner.

I had a brilliant game in my G.W. Tiger (P) the other day because I got to talk poo poo at my team mates in their T9 mediums whilst I slowly killed all their targets they were fannying around failing to do anything about. I love arty.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So those who watch Jingles on twitch, He will no longer be live streaming his games or participating in other live streaming due to hardcore stream sniping over WoT and WoWs

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

KonigRasnake posted:

Arty is poo poo

Well said, friend :)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

warcake posted:

Im having trouble getting the mod to work at all, i installed all the fonts, copied the 2 folders into the wot folder. Load up the game and nothings changed?

Halp

Are you using the 9.6 version of the mod pack? Search my posts in this thread for the 9.6 version, then follow the instructions I gave to JosefStalinator and you should be good to go.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

saintonan posted:

You're playing a game where 75% of the players on each team will have little to no real impact on the outcome of the game. If an arty player actually wants to win a match (there are legions that really don't), the single best thing they can do is to focus on the 25% of the enemy tanks that will affect the outcome. XVM makes identifying those people easier, but even without it, it's fairly evident early in most matches who the active people are and who the easily ignorable shitters are, especially if you have 30+ seconds between shots with nothing else to do but figure out who the actual threats are.

SPGs are a straight up counter to good and experienced players. WG has said over and over and over again that they like a significant element of randomness (which is also why they refuse to code MM to take player stats into account), and arty adds that randomness. Rage against arty is misplaced, since the game is designed around the impacts artillery brings. It's like complaining that cars have steering wheels. It's part of the design.

Arty usually has really limited firing lanes on most maps. If you're playing Highway and you don't want to get poo poo on by Arty you don't have to really, you can totally avoid it. If you're a good player and go dicking about sitting in a field you're going to explode. I won't hunt down better players but If I've got a choice of 2 shots, which is rare, I'll probably pick the better player but loads of other factors play a bigger role. Like what tank is it, how much health do they have, how likely am I to hit etc etc.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, I'm far more concerned with killing the enemy doom guns and healthy heavies than I am looking for some stat padder when I play my 14-2. If I even get a choice, because teams are terrible at spotting.

Blindeye posted:

After a couple of hours dicking around in very hit or miss games, I finally got to tier III in a T46 and tier II in a T2.

I have to admit I still am just figuring the maps out, but is there any advice on a good T46 loudout?

The T-46 is actually really good with an elite crew, but yeah, you'll be out of it quickly enough and on the the awesome funbus that is the T-28. Anyway, use the 45mm VT-42 gun for best results. It's not as amusing as the autoloader, but you can comfortably hurt most things you see. In tier V games the heavies will be dicey, obviously. If you have credits it can be worth taking four or so rounds of APCR for them.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 20, 2015

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

You can buy the AMX 13 57 now. http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/31/shop-wgl-pride/

It's a French tier 7 premium LT. Looks like the other French lights. Oh yeah and I hope you like having a big ugly banner ad for WGL on the side of your tank (and no, you cannot remove it or change the tank's camo or emblems):

http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.nl/2015/04/amx-13-57-wgl-camo-not-removable.html

Stats here: http://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/pc-browser/46/grand-finals-amx-13-57-intro/

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 20, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I think arty would be a lot better for both the none arty players and arty players if Arty vs Arty had their own little mini-game going (Make tracers a bigger thing or make arty light up on the map for a half second when firing I dunno ) on in games so that way the two groups of shitters that like to poo poo on people with no repercussion can poo poo on each other.

This would also force arty to realize they are in a vehicle and you need to move after you shoot. Also if you can't make a shot when its literally 1v2 you can loving drive to the other side of the map to make your shot.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 20, 2015

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Uranium 235 posted:

You can buy the AMX 13 57 now. http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/31/shop-wgl-pride/

It's a French tier 7 premium LT. Looks like the other French lights. Oh yeah and I hope you like having a big ugly banner ad for WGL on the side of your tank (and no, you cannot remove it or change the tank's camo or emblems):

http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.nl/2015/04/amx-13-57-wgl-camo-not-removable.html

Stats here: http://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/pc-browser/46/grand-finals-amx-13-57-intro/

You can remove anything you want if you try hard enough.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you're driving any variation of the E-50 make sure you put Controlled Impact on your driver. The thing is so heavy and so fast that you will hit anyone you ram at full speed like a meteorite.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Oh and I bought that MLG tank, going to kill people and tell them they just aren't MLG enough to play tanks and should kill themselves irl.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Uranium 235 posted:

Worthwhile to get? I'm not the most well versed in reading and comparing stats with similar tanks.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
It looks like a slower 13 75 with a worse gun. Doesn't get the 300hp engine, and 720 burst damage with 90 alpha vs 810 with 135. A tiny bit worse pen.

I guess it does dump the clip faster, so there's that. You can do that 720 damage in ~8 seconds, vs the 12 you need in the 13 75. Aim time would probably make that moot beyond point blank range, though.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 20, 2015

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

It's also got significantly better moving acc. But that just means that it's more or less on par with the AMX 13 75.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Its traverse speed is very much improved over the 13 75 though so circle strafing a dumb heavy will be a lot better.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Just heads up AW is looking like it will have the same problems as WoT with arty. I am really really seeing no reason to play if it maintains the current implementation of no risk high reward arty poo poo.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Welp time to quit for the day....no way am I going to top this game (haha jokes on me stop playing tanks :suicide:)

4200 damage. 27,500 WN8. 9 kills. I don't even know.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1811141#lakeville-crazedkid103-churchill_vii

Finally watched it and it was amazing

except the part where I left it in driver view at the beginning and you were having a seizure all over your shift key :gonk:

Pinguliten
Jan 8, 2007

Chillyrabbit posted:

Worthwhile to get? I'm not the most well versed in reading and comparing stats with similar tanks.

I went up against one today, he sat unspotted without a bush within 150m of me and killed. High burst damage and very high camo makes for a nasty little tank.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Just about everyone posted:

Awfulpanther

...so in other words, play it like a tier 6 medium?

Goddammit, WG.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
so i fired up tanks after a monthlong hiatus or something and played the 13 57 for a few games. it seems quite alright. 16 sec clip reload is what makes it work. it could go slightly faster imho tho

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Agrajag posted:

Just heads up AW is looking like it will have the same problems as WoT with arty. I am really really seeing no reason to play if it maintains the current implementation of no risk high reward arty poo poo.

Having played multiple arties, including the french line to tier 10, I'm failing to understand the "high reward" part of it. Unless you're referring to tears caused during the few times your gunner manages to hit something for more than 7 damage. Because let me tell you, there's nothing quite as rewarding as waiting 93s to reload a clip to do 400 total damage to someone on 4 direct hits.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Desuwa posted:

I'd see it the other way, people say the Type 59 is not OP because good players can deal with it. They fail to understand that that's not enough to make something not OP. The Type 59 is very good at bullying incompetent players even if the driver is incompetent themselves.

Even at the higher skill levels a Type 59 is not noticeably deficient - noticeably being key, it is worse than some but better than others - in any way when compared to regular t8 mediums, except for the limited ammo capacity, and it gets preferential matchmaking. So bads in Type 59s beat bads in other tanks, and goods in Type 59s are largely on par with goods in same-tier mediums in absolute terms while being relatively better because they have preferential MM.

Calling something OP just because most players have the brain of a walnut and can't figure out rear end-end from face-end and can't learn from mistakes isn't really calling it OP, it just means that people are too stupid to shoot at a weak part of the tank, and thus they deserve to lose.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Any fun recommendations for a light tank line to dick around in? I wouldn't mind switching back and forth if I get knocked out of battles on my russian heavy line.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Agrajag posted:

How do you mean? Just going off of what Obsidian says they're trying for arty, there are big differences:

-When Arty in AW fires, enemy arty sees a ping on the map, and that arty piece's model momentarily appears on the screen every time a shot is fired. The ping gets more and more focused the more arty fires without relocating. This allows for counter-battery, and forces arty to move between shots.
-It doesn't do high damage like WoT arty, opting more for wide blast radius to scare tanks not using good cover or to disperse tight groups of tanks.
-Any tanks near where a shell is landing will receive an "incoming artillery" warning, allowing a tank to relocate away from, or possibly into, an incoming shell.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Blindeye posted:

Any fun recommendations for a light tank line to dick around in? I wouldn't mind switching back and forth if I get knocked out of battles on my russian heavy line.

I like the soviet light line so far. From the T-46 you can go to the T-50 which is a pretty good tier IV with the VT-43 (same as the VT-42 on the T-46 but it aims faster). That takes you to the T-34 which is a medium, then at tier VI you unlock the MT-25, which is ridiculously fun light when it is fully upgraded. Then on to the excellent LTTB at tier VII.

The benefit is that if you're heading up the IS/IS-3 branch of the heavies you'll find lots of cross compatibility with some modules.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Blindeye posted:

French Lights are fun, The 59-16 tier 6 Chinese light has a gimmick auto loader gun that wrecks other lights and is a lot of fun. The US tier 7 Bulldog is loving bullshit and I hate fighting them so they seem pretty fun to play.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Blindeye posted:

Are you looking for a whole line (all the way up to tier 8) or just something fun for low tiers? If you just want a taste, buy a T-15, M22 Locust, or T2 LT, or grind to the Pz1c.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Blindeye posted:

I'm pretty sure the American lights (T37,M41,T49) are the best. Plus they lead to the T57 heavy which is a pretty great tier 10.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blindeye posted:

Note that starting at tier 4 most lights will see 1 tier higher than usual. If you're new I'd hold off with light tanks since going that way usually leads to getting blown up way too quickly. Having said that I'd also suggest the Pz IC and maybe the Luchs. Be wary - the former is almost useless against a lot of T5 tanks and the latter sees tier 7 tanks.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Understood, I wasn't meaning grinding my way endgame yet, just something to play around with.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Blindeye posted:

Understood, I wasn't meaning grinding my way endgame yet, just something to play around with.

The Chaffee goes like 70+ KPH and lets you do sick stunt tricks in game.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

BadLlama posted:

The Chaffee goes like 70+ KPH and lets you do sick stunt tricks in game.

Chaffee is the Best Tank and you should have one. But the M5 before it is a hateful shitbox of fail.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hateful Shitbox of Fail is the name of my Terence Trent D'arby cover band.

True story, my friend and I decided to get T71s to help him do the LT missions from the first campaign. I unlocked the M7, he then accidentally unlocked the Chaffee. Meaning another 13,000 experience in that bag of wank.

Which of the two US light trees is the better, or are they much of a muchness?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Calling something OP just because most players have the brain of a walnut and can't figure out rear end-end from face-end and can't learn from mistakes isn't really calling it OP, it just means that people are too stupid to shoot at a weak part of the tank, and thus they deserve to lose.

It's better at bullying bad players than most of its peers and it's not in any way inferior to them against good players. Tier 8 mediums aren't as universally strong as t9 mediums but they're generally pretty solid, and the Type 59 is solidly in the top few of those. Only the Pershing and, more situationally, the T69 really stand out as generally superior. I'd argue the Cent 1 is better, or no worse, than the Pershing but it's not as good of a generalist.

Then it has preferential MM it really doesn't need. Without preferential MM I'd probably say it was fine, but with it it's definitely ahead of every other t8 medium.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Blindeye posted:

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Which of the two US light trees is the better, or are they much of a muchness?

The Chaffee->T37->Bulldog line of American lights is better. The T71 is good, but the bulldog is better and you don't have to drive the T21 to get to it.

I would avoid the French lights unless you really really want an ELC or 13-90. I would suggest the ELC for maximum fun in a light tank, but only if you can free exp past the AMX 40.

As stated, the Chinese lights are fun but most find the 59-16 and WZ-131 the top of the line. I like the 132 but it gets owned by every other T7 and T8 light tank, I have to drive it like a medium to be successful.

I don't have any experience driving the German or Russian lights. I can tell you that I hate fighting against LTTBs and RU-251s in my lights. They seem really good.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 21, 2015

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

DonkeyHotay posted:

There isn't a tier 5 in the game that can't pen every tier 8 from the side with silver. The game was way more fun when flanking was mandatory.

I know this was from several pages back, but I've been out of town for a few days, and I couldn't resist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCxBswokjMo

:gerty:

The Southern Dandy fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 21, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Goddamnit, every time the MM throws me a bone I just gently caress it up.

Somehow it threw me into a 10 vs 10 battle of a few tier 4s and mostly tier 3s in my Luchs, which should be a complete slaughter.

Well, I got completely clowned by a Marder that destroyed both my engine and track AND set me on fire with his first shot. Of course, I carry premium fuel in this tank instead of an extinguisher because lol gotta go fast :rice:. I assume I got unspotted since he didn't finish me right away, so I got to sit there smoldering while my crew repaired the engine (I reflexively blew my repair kit on the track instead, of course) and got to limp away behind a building. Then the Marder just barged around the corner and finished me off because I managed to fire most of my clip wildly into the air somehow.

Sometimes I don't know why I even bother. :suicide:

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 21, 2015

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Pride is one of the seven deadly sins for a reason. Curbstomp what gets fed to you and don't assume that you'll be a god among retards just because the MM put you into a sweet situation. I hosed up an almost entirely tier 5 game in an elite T29 like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well it's not like I just yoloed across a field into a gun line or anything like that. It was just me vs that Marder in what should've been a cut-and-dry situation. I was creeping up to flank him like I've done a million times, somehow it just immediately escalated into that sad comedy of errors.

EDIT:

That's more like it. :smugdog:

(The MM gets pretty weird at these really quiet hours)

Nordick fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 21, 2015