Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Blindeye posted:

Soviet Heavies it is!

Edit: How much time does it take to go up a few different tech trees?
The KV-1 is still the only tank in the game where I've killed 10 tanks in one match (Granted that's only possible with pubbie stupidity but still!) It's pretty awesome.

For going up trees, trees tend to actually start around tier 4/5 (where tanks actually start being different in ways that matter) and tier 2-3 take barely any time at all. Don't go Arty unless you have a fever dream of raining death on people and want to shatter it.
Tier 4 and up it depends on how much you play and how well you play. 4-5 isn't too bad but 5-6 is a grind and 6-7 is a slog. I don't go past 7 since tier 8 is where no-premium stops being universally sustainable (you need to consistently do great to break even.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You can get to tier 6 in most tech trees pretty quickly. After that, xp and credit costs start to get higher. You'll probably only be able to actively grind one line at a time, unless you're polka (RIP).

I forgot how long it took to get my first tier 10, but I wasn't really beelining for it. I think it'd be like, a month of moderate playing to get a tier 10?

Wow, that's actually pretty quick compared to the last freemium game I played (oh NavyField, you were insane with your insistence on making the highest tier a multi-year effort if you ever tried).

Edit: Though I suppose hearing premium starts being a necessity past tier 8 sucks. I suppose though I could always keep playing lower tiers to dick around.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I actually like doing two trees at a time so if you get killed you can just quit and start a new match in the other tank. Especially in those mid tiers when some random idiot with a derp will oneshot you.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Wow, that's actually pretty quick compared to the last freemium game I played (oh NavyField, you were insane with your insistence on making the highest tier a multi-year effort if you ever tried).

Edit: Though I suppose hearing premium starts being a necessity past tier 8 sucks. I suppose though I could always keep playing lower tiers to dick around.

I ground out my first tier 10 without premium, and yes it does suck. If you still enjoy the game by the time you hit tier 8 buy a month and see how it compares.

Also, for the love of god download some mods, because WarGaming's UI is so uninformative that playing this game vanilla is like voluntarily making the game more difficult than it has to be. There are some modpack recommendations in the second post.

THE BUTT MAN
Mar 28, 2010

no homo?
So I just got 12 kills in my SU-100Y and won the match as the last green tank vs 5 reds, how do I show everyone my autismal prowess?

edit: maybe this works? http://wotreplays.com/site/1812411

THE BUTT MAN fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 19, 2015

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Achilles in beastmode. Almost 22k WN8.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I present to you, pubbie exhibit a - Yes, it continued desuwa.

pre:
Kelmain (8:28:26 PM) nice fail and you say I don't know how to play
assassinated (8:29:07 PM) I was being extremely accurate
assassinated (8:29:15 PM) you don't know how to play across an average of all the games you play
Kelmain (8:36:35 PM) then there must be alot of bad players because my ranking in WOT is not bad with 10 different tanks with marks of excellence
Kelmain (8:38:12 PM) your account looks like a reroll with the 100% win rate then stop playing that tank lol so sad
Kelmain (8:38:23 PM) play for fun
assassinated (8:38:25 PM) reroll?
assassinated (8:38:29 PM) if I was reroll I'd be 67% winrate
assassinated (8:38:32 PM) which is what I play right now
assassinated (8:38:38 PM) you are so dumb you don't even know what a reroll is
assassinated (8:38:44 PM) marks of excellence don't mean "good playing"
assassinated (8:38:47 PM) it means "I play a tank a lot"
Kelmain (8:39:11 PM) marks means you put out dps per game played
Kelmain (8:40:49 PM) lol you just pad your stats look at your SU-100Y one game played 100 and you stop
Kelmain (8:41:14 PM) play it right now and I will bow my head to you
assassinated (8:45:37 PM) I barely play it, athat's all
assassinated (8:45:44 PM) I bought it just to get more gold back when the mission ends
assassinated (8:45:50 PM) do you not know how math works?
Kelmain (8:50:19 PM) you played it once
Kelmain (8:50:25 PM) only once lol
Kelmain (8:51:15 PM) just play for fun and stop calling me and others idiots for a free on line game
Kelmain (8:51:28 PM) later
assassinated (8:52:37 PM) you are an idiot
assassinated (8:52:41 PM) if you are terrible at something and keep tryinga
assassinated (8:52:43 PM) nd don't improve
Kelmain (8:55:56 PM) guess my clan sucks cause I am third highest in rating
assassinated (9:03:32 PM) yes, it does
assassinated (9:03:41 PM) you are a terrible person who should not play this game
Kelmain: 23k matches, 49%. Also "Check out my marks of excellence!" 2 *thousand* matches in a hellcat, 53% winrate. 700 in a roomba, 48% winrate.

:cripes:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I feel bad for the people with like 20 hours in a tank and no marks : /

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Missing Name posted:

I've got my Awfulpanther, now what do I do?

Don't scout in it if you can avoid it. Try to figure where their scouts are going and intercept them. But don't play it like a real scout, its too goddamn big for it.
The Koinsch or whatever the gently caress they call it now is the gun of choice, it has enough pen on standard shells to deal with most things, and nice gold shells for making heavies say mean things about you.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

Just overwrite the res and res_mods folders in the WoT directory with the ones in the mod pack.

Thanks McGavin, got it working, but what exactly are these squares supposed to indicate:

Or do they mean I did the fonts wrong? I added all the fonts to the common/fonts folder, figuring that was where they were to go.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

IS-7 played by none retards are quite amazing correct?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I present to you, pubbie exhibit a - Yes, it continued desuwa.

pre:
:pubbie:
Kelmain: 23k matches, 49%. Also "Check out my marks of excellence!" 2 *thousand* matches in a hellcat, 53% winrate. 700 in a roomba, 48% winrate.

:cripes:

Marks of excellence are literally participation medals, except the third one I guess.

Meanwhile I spent the entire weekend playing the STB-1 for some reason and ruining my stats. I don't know why I did it. The STB-1 is good but, like the Type 61, is it notoriously unreliable and it has the most 0-800 damage games of any t10 I have. Doesn't help that I was playing like poo poo, but still.

Also after coming back from a six month break and somehow turning purple in the interim, I will say that it's like arty never, ever got nerfed. I've been spotted two minutes into a game, where most of my team has been spotted, and immediately two out of three enemy arty will shoot at me. It hurts that I'm worse than I was six months ago, playing a good 600-700 WN8 lower than I used to, but gently caress this bullshit.

I will say it straight out - if you don't see the problem with arty in this game it's because you're not good enough. As your stats get better arty does aim for you more, and conversely they aim for you less when you're green and there's a blue or purple on your team. At least half the enemy arty is actively waiting for that purple to screw up and show himself. Though I'll admit I've been screwing up a lot more than I used to. Arty is a dice roll but when the enemy arty is singling you out all game eventually the dice are going to come up in their favour.

KonigRasnake
Mar 20, 2014

Simply trying to enjoy some lemonade and magic-head.
ThePartizan (10:42:15 PM) We knew we would lose, you guys are in a completely different league than us skill wise. But we thought you guys were gonna be cool. Didnt think you guys would troll us like that with all the trash talking... big buzz kill :( Its like finding out your heroes are a bunch of jerks. never the less, you guys played awesome. Hope you put the cubes to good use.

To which JCFuckenberg responded, "climb a wall of dicks with your mouth, human being."

Strongholds are the best.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I feel like I get flagged as blue every day because I really dont give a poo poo and dont stop shooting.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

BadLlama posted:

IS-7 played by none retards are quite amazing correct?

I wouldn't say amazing, but it's a solid tank. The gun could really stand to handle better (I miss the IS-8's gun a lot) and the tank could be faster but it's definitely workable.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Desuwa posted:

Also after coming back from a six month break and somehow turning purple in the interim, I will say that it's like arty never, ever got nerfed. I've been spotted two minutes into a game, where most of my team has been spotted, and immediately two out of three enemy arty will shoot at me. It hurts that I'm worse than I was six months ago, playing a good 600-700 WN8 lower than I used to, but gently caress this bullshit.

I will say it straight out - if you don't see the problem with arty in this game it's because you're not good enough. As your stats get better arty does aim for you more, and conversely they aim for you less when you're green and there's a blue or purple on your team. At least half the enemy arty is actively waiting for that purple to screw up and show himself. Though I'll admit I've been screwing up a lot more than I used to. Arty is a dice roll but when the enemy arty is singling you out all game eventually the dice are going to come up in their favour.

Well now that you mention it.... I have been feeling like I get focused more by arty but then again I play on west and its usually a sea of red to yellow.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Desuwa posted:

I generally like XVM and being able to get a quick idea of how things are going to go, but I would give it up in a second if it meant I didn't get focused fired. I'm not even that good, but a single blue in a sea of yellow stands out.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blindeye posted:

Soviet Heavies it is!

It takes roughly 1k battles (with premium, so around 1500 without) to research a tier 10 tank. Exact values depend on the line and how good you are - you can lose games all the time, gaining almost nothing, but you'll still get that tier 10 eventually. This is something pubbies will try to prove to you continuously Calculating credit amount is a bit harder. Note that playing other tiers is usually more fun since there isn't such a large concentration of shitlords driving in their latest T10 failing to actually click at red pixels.
I'd suggest downloading a mod pack as well. If you want to improve, watch how better players play to learn (use xvm to identify them, it's usually pretty accurate). Also note that it might take 1000+ games until you start to get it - map positioning takes time to learn.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

Thanks McGavin, got it working, but what exactly are these squares supposed to indicate:

Or do they mean I did the fonts wrong? I added all the fonts to the common/fonts folder, figuring that was where they were to go.

You didn't install the fonts properly. You need to install them to Windows, not the WoT directory. If you double click on the font file it should automatically install. Alternatively, you can drag and drop them into the Fonts folder in Control Panel.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 20, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Missing Name posted:

I've got my Awfulpanther, now what do I do?

Watch that replay I just posted. That's how you [Something]AwfulPanther.

Blindeye posted:

Soviet Heavies it is!

Anecdotally, you could get to tier 5 in 2 days, tier 6 in one more day, in a little over 100 battles. It requires you to already know how to play the game, and it's more credits-limited than XP-limited. The login bonuses are an Obamasend now, make sure you don't miss a day (you could probably still get over 1 M credits at this point.) You'll still want to build up free XP by playing premium and/or elite tanks in order to make stock tanks less painful to play.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.nl/2015/04/insider-crew-skill-overhaul.html/
Changes in crew skills are apparently coming, with the change of putting Sixth Sense per default on a 100% radioman, as well I guess.

The most hilarious one is obviously this one:

RitaGamer posted:

Parting Gift
Your tank explodes when destroyed, damaging nearby enemy vehicles and destroying their tracks.
The potential for hilarity by ramming a platoon of ELCs/PzICs into a friendly enemy tank would become boundless.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Desuwa posted:

Unrepentantly. I do it and troll people saying it I'm doing it in spite.

Of course, a few extra seconds of aiming and a reload is worth a shot that could hobble the best player on the other team.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

I generally like XVM and being able to get a quick idea of how things are going to go, but I would give it up in a second if it meant I didn't get focused fired. I'm not even that good, but a single blue in a sea of yellow stands out.

This, a thousand times this. You can be a single non-threatening tank (think say T25/2 in a Tier 9 game) and if you're a blue among a sea of Orange and Red players rest assured arty will sincerely gently caress your poo poo up. This said though, If I'm playing an artillery I'm unrepentant about blowing your unicum rear end up because you represent a massive threat to the success of my match.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Maybe NA is different, but on EU bad players don't have stats activated. I'm ok with someone focusing me if I'm doing the same thing back.

Well except arty obvs

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm not saying that shooting the best players on the enemy team is wrong. I'm saying that, even when it doesn't make sense, a significant amount of arty will be waiting for you, in particular, to pop out.

It's not good players in arty, because they're not willing to do nothing for two or three minutes for a chance to shoot at a sliver of a purple WZ-120. It's mostly reds to maybe greens who are just going to roll dice with you all game until their numbers come up. The good arty players are much more likely to hit you when they do fire but they're not going to wait all game for the chance. You might think I'm exaggerating, and honestly it doesn't happen every battle, but between poking out a little and getting hammered and getting killed by arty players who only fire their guns two or three times in a match, it's very real.

Also when players in arty are bad enough no amount of unpredictable driving matters. Good players lead you properly so unpredictable driving can at least minimize the chance of being hit, though depending on the map that might not be worth much, but bad players will fire wherever and then rely on RNG.

EU almost sounds nice, if this never happens.

e: There are also the maps with no significant arty cover, anywhere, and you're just completely hosed on those. In a game with 3+ arty per side on prok, redshire, sand river, murovanka, malinovka, and any others I'm forgetting, there's absolutely nothing I can do besides sitting at the back like CHAI to avoid getting ruined by arty. On those maps in particular I expect to take more than half of my incoming damage from arty, if it doesn't outright do all of it because I'm hull down to every other shitter on the enemy team.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 20, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If I'm playing arty I'm aiming for whatever guy my team has managed to spot (so I mostly just sit there all match)

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
None of the arty bullshit would be so bad if you couldn't get smacked for 1800 damage for daring to stand still for 5 seconds after flanking the poo poo out of an E-50M on terrible maps like Hidden Valley.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I don't have any major issued with arty. Apparently I'm a bad.

I mean sure it could be improved or changed around for the better but if I made a list of things I want changed in the game it wouldn't even make the top 10.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
You're not bad, Prav, but you might be insane or in debt to the artillery mafia.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Having discovered the insane amounts of XP you get for doing team battles I'm almost ready to get a new Tier IX. Which is better between the M46 Patton and the Centurion 7/1 ? I'm feeling it's probably the Centurion 7/1 at this stage.

The EU server does seem to avoid many of the issues the NA server has with players and stuff. You also get awesome Stronghold defences where our 14 Tiers 8-10 tanks had to take on 7 guys then won the next 3 rounds by default.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

Im having trouble getting the mod to work at all, i installed all the fonts, copied the 2 folders into the wot folder. Load up the game and nothings changed?

Halp

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Aramoro posted:

Having discovered the insane amounts of XP you get for doing team battles I'm almost ready to get a new Tier IX. Which is better between the M46 Patton and the Centurion 7/1 ? I'm feeling it's probably the Centurion 7/1 at this stage.

The EU server does seem to avoid many of the issues the NA server has with players and stuff. You also get awesome Stronghold defences where our 14 Tiers 8-10 tanks had to take on 7 guys then won the next 3 rounds by default.

I love the M46, personally, but you need like 50k free XP for the top gun or it's just a bad Pershing. Once you get the top configuration though it's just a really, really fun tank. It shoots amazingly well on the move and is just really agile in general. lovely sniper, though.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Aramoro posted:

I enjoyed playing the Patton more. The bad top speed and awful bloom values of the Centurion 7/1 really made me dislike it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

TheFluff posted:

I love the M46, personally, but you need like 50k free XP for the top gun or it's just a bad Pershing. Once you get the top configuration though it's just a really, really fun tank. It shoots amazingly well on the move and is just really agile in general. lovely sniper, though.

The Pershing is one of my favourite tanks, and most successful as it happens. I really like the look of the gun on the Cent but the Pershing is looking the way to go I think. It's that or grind out a billion xp on my Panther II and get an E50

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

You can't really go wrong with t9 mediums - except the PTA, and I'd argue the Type 61 is too frustrating to really enjoy - they're a very strong bunch as a whole. The Cent 7 does have the better turret and gun, with better silver ammo than the Patton has for premium and much better accuracy. The Patton has better soft stats and significantly higher DPM, but the accuracy and pen leave quite a bit to be desired. The play style for both of them is reasonably similar, but I find the Cent 7 to be much better at it.

Helps that the Centurion 7/1 is the best looking tank in the game. It also has a basket to carry your team in.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Any tips on the E50? Hull down gets my turret shot which is apparently paper and its pretty slow. I've only really played high tier Russian mediums so I'm trying to slide into the slightly different playstyle.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
After a couple of hours dicking around in very hit or miss games, I finally got to tier III in a T46 and tier II in a T2.

I have to admit I still am just figuring the maps out, but is there any advice on a good T46 loudout?

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Desuwa posted:

You can't really go wrong with t9 mediums - except the PTA, and I'd argue the Type 61 is too frustrating to really enjoy - they're a very strong bunch as a whole.

You know, I kind of dreaded the PTA because I had heard all kind of horror stories about it, and I bought it while drunk because otherwise I wouldn't have, but I ended up loving it. Ironically the opposite happened with the T-54 that I expected to love but ended up finding quite "eh". YMMV

Imho it has everything a high tier medium needs : it's fast, the gun is very accurate once it's properly aimed in (making 400+ meters shot is surprisingly easy), it has enough pen to deal with pretty much everything it can face with relative ease, and it feels like the camo is quite workable. Main issue would be the armor that gets penned by literally everything you face and the relative lack of gun depression, but turns out I could play around these issues just fine and manage a 62% wr. Hopefully the AMX 30 prot is just more of the same.

It's garbage stock tho, let's be honest. At least free XP the L7.

Blindeye posted:

After a couple of hours dicking around in very hit or miss games, I finally got to tier III in a T46 and tier II in a T2.

I have to admit I still am just figuring the maps out, but is there any advice on a good T46 loudout?

You most likely won't end up keeping it, so really just equipping all the top modules (especially the autoloading 37mm) and camo net/binocs will give you a massive advantage over 95% of the people you will face.

Creamed Cormp fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 20, 2015

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Desuwa posted:

I'm not saying that shooting the best players on the enemy team is wrong. I'm saying that, even when it doesn't make sense, a significant amount of arty will be waiting for you, in particular, to pop out.

You're playing a game where 75% of the players on each team will have little to no real impact on the outcome of the game. If an arty player actually wants to win a match (there are legions that really don't), the single best thing they can do is to focus on the 25% of the enemy tanks that will affect the outcome. XVM makes identifying those people easier, but even without it, it's fairly evident early in most matches who the active people are and who the easily ignorable shitters are, especially if you have 30+ seconds between shots with nothing else to do but figure out who the actual threats are.

SPGs are a straight up counter to good and experienced players. WG has said over and over and over again that they like a significant element of randomness (which is also why they refuse to code MM to take player stats into account), and arty adds that randomness. Rage against arty is misplaced, since the game is designed around the impacts artillery brings. It's like complaining that cars have steering wheels. It's part of the design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

maev posted:

Any tips on the E50? Hull down gets my turret shot which is apparently paper and its pretty slow. I've only really played high tier Russian mediums so I'm trying to slide into the slightly different playstyle.

E-50 is an all-rounder that can do basically everything ok, except not be huge. This goes contrary to all Russian Medium logic, because they are very tiny.

The turret is small rather than strong, and you have good depression over the side, and good soft stats. Try to minimize the time to expose yourself. Sidescraping is good in the E-50.

If you haven't fully upgraded it then you should go do that. I think it's plenty fast.