Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thunderfinger posted:

Bob probably assumed they didn't reproduce.:ssh:

It seems sort of weird that Bob would be utterly confident about that then. Like I'd get if he theorized on it but he was basically mocking Harry for even considering the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

It seems sort of weird that Bob would be utterly confident about that then. Like I'd get if he theorized on it but he was basically mocking Harry for even considering the concept.

To be fair, they're basically fallen angels, right? Those guys don't normally reproduce either.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

computer parts posted:

To be fair, they're basically fallen angels, right? Those guys don't normally reproduce either.
Lotsa things reproduce without a gender, though :ssh:

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

ImpAtom posted:

So a question I can't recall the answer to with regards to Dresden.

The first time Harry encounters a Naagloshii, Bob makes fun of him for even trying to gender the being, claiming it doesn't reproduce. So how the hell does Goodman Grey work?

They're shapeshifters.

Seems pretty simple in light of that, really.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

computer parts posted:

Let me tell you about nephilim.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Only if you can do a servicable steve blum impression.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

fordan posted:

Kind of a hardboiled detective genre thing, I'd think.

To quote Brandon Sanderson talking about the Suvudu cage matches which kinda sums it up:

You missed the best one.

quote:

Kvothe flies in, riding Temeraire, Hermione at his side, and— (I’ve written the second two thirds of this sentence, but I’m not giving them to you yet.)

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

ImpAtom posted:

They don't need to recombine DNA, that doesn't mean they can't.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I started and finished Grave Peril over the weekend, and sweet Jesus you were right about it getting better. That book was amazing.

40% of the way through Summer Knight now. I may take a break after this, I don't want to burn out. But I am loving this series.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I started and finished Grave Peril over the weekend, and sweet Jesus you were right about it getting better. That book was amazing.

40% of the way through Summer Knight now. I may take a break after this, I don't want to burn out. But I am loving this series.

Summer Knight is personally my favorite because its the one I started with and I just love the scale of the conflict, and there is really no danger of burning out, I feel, because once I finished that I really wanted to go onto the next one and the next and the next.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So over in the cosplay thread in PYF someone posted some Micheal Carpenter cosplay (and others in the background).

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Cannot help it, sword plus flannel shirt would make anyone look like a twat.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Wade Wilson posted:

So over in the cosplay thread in PYF someone posted some Micheal Carpenter cosplay (and others in the background).

Thats from the Dresden Film thingy.. One of the doods posts here and proposed to his girlfriend and got Jim butcher to come out I beleive.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

anilEhilated posted:

Cannot help it, sword plus flannel shirt would make anyone look like a twat.

I always figured that was part of the humour of Micheal, considering his job and all.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Thyrork posted:

I always figured that was part of the humour of Micheal, considering his job and all.
And, by extension, how Butcher has no imagination

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Be sure to come back to the thread after each book and post your thoughts and theories. It's what fuels the thread in between books.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Remember that new Audiobook version of Ghost Story that is narrated by James Marsters? Audible just sent me a link to a free copy so I guess they are giving it to people with the original. Sweet.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Annoyingly, it's not on the UK's audible site yet. Not even as a future release. :(

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

General Emergency posted:

Remember that new Audiobook version of Ghost Story that is narrated by James Marsters? Audible just sent me a link to a free copy so I guess they are giving it to people with the original. Sweet.

I used the credit I got back on this to get Neil Gaiman's Trigger Warning.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah I was excited. That's pretty awesome of them.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Wade Wilson posted:

I used the credit I got back on this to get Neil Gaiman's Trigger Warning.

Thats a real book? Is it like a big joke on the whole "Don't trigger me" thing going on? Im reading through American Gods and am enjoying it (save for the uhh vagina eating man part). Hows Trigger Warning?

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope

General Emergency posted:

did you have to do anything? I'm looking at my audible account, and it wants to charge me for the new version. do you need to be an active subscriber or something?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

They sent an email and you had to click on the link in it.

Bunnita
Jun 12, 2002

Was it everything you thought it would be?

mastajake posted:

They sent an email and you had to click on the link in it.

At least one friend didn't think she had gotten one and it was in her spam folder.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Exmond posted:

Thats a real book? Is it like a big joke on the whole "Don't trigger me" thing going on? Im reading through American Gods and am enjoying it (save for the uhh vagina eating man part). Hows Trigger Warning?

It's kind of like his other collection called "Fragile Things", except with a Doctor Who short story in it instead of a Sherlock Holmes short story in it.

If you liked Fragile Things, you'll probably also like Trigger Warning.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Yeah, I didn't get an email or a credit for owning Ghost Story, I'm a subscriber too.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Did the email say why you were getting it? I'm not currently a subscriber, so I'll be sad if that's a requirement but I do own all the Dresden Audiobooks.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LoG posted:

Yeah, I didn't get an email or a credit for owning Ghost Story, I'm a subscriber too.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Exmond posted:

Thats a real book? Is it like a big joke on the whole "Don't trigger me" thing going on?

Kinda? It's not so much a joke on it as a push back. He put it together because a trigger warning was originally a useful thing, something that could trigger a PTSD flashback, the intent being that people could brace themselves and then not feel like they are back in Iraq. Then the internet got a hold of it and it became "you better not upset me". Gaiman rightly thinks that's bullshit, talks about it in the intro (or maybe it was in one of the interviews and I'm blurring) how taking it away from its original meaning is trying to make fictions safe places instead of letting people brace themselves to deal with something and he doesn't stand with that, so he put together this. Its a collection of short stories dancing around common idiotic trigger warnings like "spiders" or "anxiety" or "bad break up".

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
So who else will be at C2E2 and see Jim Butchers panel on his steampunk book? I'm gonna try to check it out but I might end up stuck at my table selling stuff

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://io9.com/ben-aaronovitchs-rivers-of-london-series-is-coming-to-c-1699533443

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose if Rivers of London does end up getting on the telly (I think I've heard it's been optioned) it'll also end up as a bit of a who's who of Doctor Who actors. For instance, I'm fairly sure I've read that Aaronovitch's likes Paul McGann for Nightingale.

If this had come out 10-15 years ago, they could've transplanted the cast of Spooks: David Oyelowo as Peter, Keeley Hawes as Lesley, Matthew McFadyen (though he may have been a little too young) as Nightingale, maybe even Peter Firth as Seawoll and Jenny Agutter as Stephanopolous (I'm not sure what age most of these characters are meant to be beyond Peter and Lesley being late-twenties and Nightingale being 100 but looking 40).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose if Rivers of London does end up getting on the telly (I think I've heard it's been optioned) it'll also end up as a bit of a who's who of Doctor Who actors. For instance, I'm fairly sure I've read that Aaronovitch's likes Paul McGann for Nightingale.

If this had come out 10-15 years ago, they could've transplanted the cast of Spooks: David Oyelowo as Peter, Keeley Hawes as Lesley, Matthew McFadyen (though he may have been a little too young) as Nightingale, maybe even Peter Firth as Seawoll and Jenny Agutter as Stephanopolous (I'm not sure what age most of these characters are meant to be beyond Peter and Lesley being late-twenties and Nightingale being 100 but looking 40).

Considering how much attention it seems to be getting as London's City Read book right now, it would almost surprise me if it *isn't* optioned.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
The comic spinoff is also starting July 15th and it's called "Body Work". Hopefully the date will stay there. I think the publisher is still Titan Press, by the way.
Edit: Silly me, why didn't I read the link above?

Double edit: EEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 24, 2015

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Wade Wilson posted:

I hope James Marsters does his best impersonation of the first narrator to gently caress with the people that buy this.

So far, listening to Marsters's Ghost Story reading, this is pretty much exactly what is happening.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Just finished Summer Knight, and it's probably my favorite Dresden book yet. The finale was absolutely amazing, just a massive battle in a faery field amidst storm clouds. Great last line for the book, too. I know I was thinking about taking a break after this for fear of burning out, but...yeah, that's not happening.

Clever that he wrote in potential future plot hooks with Mab, too. Or at least, I'm assuming she comes back at some point for her last two tasks?

Owning a Kindle makes binge reading so much easier. What with not having to run out to the store to buy the next book.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love that post.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Just finished Summer Knight, and it's probably my favorite Dresden book yet. The finale was absolutely amazing, just a massive battle in a faery field amidst storm clouds. Great last line for the book, too. I know I was thinking about taking a break after this for fear of burning out, but...yeah, that's not happening.

Clever that he wrote in potential future plot hooks with Mab, too. Or at least, I'm assuming she comes back at some point for her last two tasks?

Owning a Kindle makes binge reading so much easier. What with not having to run out to the store to buy the next book.

:allears: This is why I read this thread. Feel free to drop thoughts mid-book, if you can manage to put it down!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Reading Death Masks now. 20% in. Good Lord, the fight against Demon Bear was epic. Butcher can sure as hell write a fight scene. And Michael's back! Hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thrawn527 posted:

Reading Death Masks now. 20% in. Good Lord, the fight against Demon Bear was epic. Butcher can sure as hell write a fight scene. And Michael's back! Hell yes.

Death Masks is one of my favorite books in the series. In fact, it was my #1 favorite for a long time.