Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Darkpriest667 posted:

Cloning copies ver batum all the OS commands when you clone your OS drive, guess what, HDDs and SSDs don't have the same settings.

On second read yes you can adjust the partition alignment AND the trim settings, you'll also have to turn off defragging and some other settings. All the cloning operations I've seen from HDD to SSD have always ended up with errors.

The cloning software will adjust alignment automatically, and Windows will recognise you now have an SSD just fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Having used a block-level duplicator to migrate no fewer than a half a dozen Win7 Enterprise PCs at this time from HDD to SDD with zero issues, this is odd advice. Darkpriest, what specific errors are you finding, and on what platforms?

Crushable Object
Oct 28, 2010
Crush responsibly.

dissss posted:

The cloning software will adjust alignment automatically, and Windows will recognise you now have an SSD just fine

In my personal experience, I did a macrium clone from a hard drive to a crucial m4 ssd. Things were doing okay, so there was no performance problem. Out of curiosity I opened the "Disk Defragmenter" program. It said that it was scheduled to run each week on Sundays at whatevertime. Does windows recognize I'm on an ssd now? Is it auto-disabling the defrag thing even though when I open the program it says it's on a scheduled run? Once I opened defrag I manually unchecked it, but would it have known it was an ssd beforehand? No idea how any of this nonsense works, but that was a thing I noticed.

What's going on. That's my layman's question.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Windows runs a TRIM pass instead of a standard defrag when it sees a SSD, assuming nothing has gone wrong.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Re-run the Windows Experience Index. It will detect the SSD and turn off background defragging.

Crushable Object
Oct 28, 2010
Crush responsibly.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Re-run the Windows Experience Index. It will detect the SSD and turn off background defragging.

That's the thing. I ran the experience index after getting the ssd and it completed and gave me a ranking. It's just when I opened disk defrag manually the scheduling stuff was checked and looked like it was set to go. Is windows disabling it automatically in the background after I run the index? If so, when I open disk defrag, am I undoing its automatic ssd detection and defrag disabling? Is there like a way to check?

I have no idea what I'm doing lol.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

The WEI UI is gone from 8.1 - the background logic is still there though and will get automatically run periodically

isndl posted:

Windows runs a TRIM pass instead of a standard defrag when it sees a SSD, assuming nothing has gone wrong.

The Defrag UI should say 'Optimize' instead of Defrag, and it will say 'x% trimmed' if you run it manaully

Crushable Object
Oct 28, 2010
Crush responsibly.

dissss posted:

The WEI UI is gone from 8.1 - the background logic is still there though and will get automatically run periodically

The Defrag UI should say 'Optimize' instead of Defrag, and it will say 'x% trimmed' if you run it manaully

Forgot to mention I'm on Windows 7 on this computer, not 8 or 8.1.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The UI on Windows 7 is different- it will seemingly run a full defrag on the drive but only if you kick it off manually. The weekly schedule will only touch actual spinning hard disks.

This is what mine looks like, C: is an SSD, S: is a hard disk

Crushable Object
Oct 28, 2010
Crush responsibly.

dissss posted:

The UI on Windows 7 is different- it will seemingly run a full defrag on the drive but only if you kick it off manually. The weekly schedule will only touch actual spinning hard disks.

This is what mine looks like, C: is an SSD, S: is a hard disk

So if I've got this right:

I install Windows 7 on an ssd. Install all the windows updates.
I run the windows experience index.
That's it. Don't have to do anything to enable trim, and if i don't open "Disk Defragmenter" it won't mess things up by trying to defrag the ssd even though when I open it the scheduled stuff is checked.

Sorry to be so tedious. It's just a thing I've noticed that confuses me and I've never asked about it until now.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I thought Windows runs its "windows experience index" thing automatically after install. 7, 8, 8.1, 10, etc all self-setup for SSD.

Windows w/ SSD is usually just "install and go". The only things you need to do differently is with older versions of Windows.

Windows Vista: turn off the scheduled defrag
Windows XP, 2000, NT4, etc: use another tool (like GParted) to create a 4K-aligned partition (also needed with Vista if you install the original, non-SP releases).

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Xenomorph posted:

I thought Windows runs its "windows experience index" thing automatically after install. 7, 8, 8.1, 10, etc all self-setup for SSD.

Windows w/ SSD is usually just "install and go". The only things you need to do differently is with older versions of Windows.

Windows Vista: turn off the scheduled defrag
Windows XP, 2000, NT4, etc: use another tool (like GParted) to create a 4K-aligned partition (also needed with Vista if you install the original, non-SP releases).

Well yes. The current line of inquiry is all about imaging an existing Windows environment from a hard drive (or possibly even an old SSD) to a modern solid state drive.

You needed to clean it out anyway.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Crushable Object posted:

That's it. Don't have to do anything to enable trim, and if i don't open "Disk Defragmenter" it won't mess things up by trying to defrag the ssd even though when I open it the scheduled stuff is checked.

Sorry to be so tedious. It's just a thing I've noticed that confuses me and I've never asked about it until now.

AFAIK that is all you need to do. I'm running win7 with an 840 pro as my C: and a 3tb spinner as bulk storage and it's not set to defrag the ssd:

I haven't changed any of the default windows settings regarding the SSD except to turn off hibernation because I have a 128gb ssd and 32gb of ram and I didn't want a 32gb hiberfil.sys.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Crushable Object posted:

There's one more thing you need to do: Disable and re-enable system protection.
Start > Right-click Computer > Properties > System protection > Select SSD from list > Configure > Turn off > Turn on again

If you just leave it as is, Windows will see that it's a different disk than it's expecting and just silently write a non-descriptive error in the logs and fail, leaving you with no system restore and no previous versions functionality.
Not sure if Windows 8 is better about this, but you were talking about 7 anyway.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Looks like there's a successor to the SM951 supporting NVMe on its way via HP that's been accidentally leaked http://www.servethehome.com/new-m-2-samsung-nvme-ssd-launched-hp/

quote:

Today we have evidence of a new m.2 Samsung NVMe SSD. This new NVMe SSD should come in both 256GB and 512GB versions. When the Samsung XP941 came out we finally had a low power and low cost m.2 PCIe SSD that was capable of delivering very strong performance. The Samsung SM951 is its successor providing faster speeds due to the PCIe 3.0 interface. Both drives were really meant to be OEM only or at least OEM only for some time before a few may make it into retail channels. Neither drive was NVMe based and NVMe is the (near) future of performance SSD storage.

HP used its market power as a leading OEM to build an interesting card, the HP Z Turbo Drive. The initial HP Z Turbo Drive bundled the Samsung XP941 with a m.2 to PCIe converter card. This is similar to the setup we used for XP941 256GB and 512GB quick benchmarks. One can now find the new HP Z Turbo Drive G2 product on HP’s website. Here is the product information PDF. The specs for the drive simply do not add up to what we have seen thus far. We see from that product sheet that the HP Z Turbo Drive G2 is a NVMe based part based on the last paragraph of text from page 1 of the HP file linked above:

HP Z Turbo Drive G2 NVMe
HP Z Turbo Drive G2 NVMe
One can see the Samsung XP941 part number MZHPU256HCGL-00H1 branding in the product shot on page 1 of the PDF. Here is a zoomed in version:

HP Z Turbo Drive Zoomed - wrong SSD
HP Z Turbo Drive Zoomed – wrong SSD
However, the Samsung XP941 (256GB version pictured above) was not a NVMe SSD. The newer Samsung SM951 is also not a NVMe SSD (AHCI instead) so we have something different based on the specs we are seeing.

When we review the specs of the Samsung SM951 we can see fairly standard 4K IOPS numbers:

Samsung SM951 Specs
Samsung SM951 Specs
When we look at the HP Z Turbo Drive G2 specs, we see a significantly faster drive:

HP Z Turbo Drive G2 Datasheet zoom
HP Z Turbo Drive G2 Datasheet zoom
Samsung NVMe SSD read speeds are the same as the SM951 256GB and 512GB drives. Write speeds increase by 60MB/s and 50MB/s for the versions respectively. The 4K random read IOPS go from 90K on the SM951 series to 300K on the HP Z Turbo Drive G2. That is more than a 3x improvement! The 4K random write IOPS increase from 70K to 100K which is not as large of a gain but is still significant.

It is rumored that Samsung was originally intending the SM951 to be a NVMe drive but that support was dripped. This may be a new version of the drive with NVMe support and the first client focused Samsung NVMe SSD.

We still do not have street pricing but it is likely we will see the Intel 750 SSD put pressure on this offering to bring prices closer to the $1/ GB range excluding HP support and warranty. We can see from a saved ebay search here that the street pricing of the XP941 based HP Z Turbo Drive (first generation) was closer to $1.6/ GB or more.

One other nice point, while the SM951 has had rumored endurance ratings, this new Samsung NVMe SSD (m.2) is rated at 146TB for the 256GB variant and 292TB for the 512GB variant.

Crushable Object
Oct 28, 2010
Crush responsibly.

Geemer posted:

There's one more thing you need to do: Disable and re-enable system protection.
Start > Right-click Computer > Properties > System protection > Select SSD from list > Configure > Turn off > Turn on again

If you just leave it as is, Windows will see that it's a different disk than it's expecting and just silently write a non-descriptive error in the logs and fail, leaving you with no system restore and no previous versions functionality.
Not sure if Windows 8 is better about this, but you were talking about 7 anyway.

Good to know! Thanks to everyone who provided great feedback. I think my ocd neuroses have been placated.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are the WD Black SSHDs any good? I can't seem to find any reviews on them. On ebay, they are going for about the same price as the Seagate SSHDs but have twice the amount of flash (16GB vs 8GB) and seem to be a year newer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shaocaholica posted:

Are the WD Black SSHDs any good? I can't seem to find any reviews on them. On ebay, they are going for about the same price as the Seagate SSHDs but have twice the amount of flash (16GB vs 8GB) and seem to be a year newer.

http://www.storagereview.com/wd_black2_ssd_hdd_review

Assuming that's the one you're referring to.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 19, 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

No, those Black2's were lame. These are more like the Samsung SSHD with flash acting as a cache(?) and not a separate drive.

http://techreport.com/news/24783/wd-explains-hybrid-tech-behind-black-sshds

http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/CES-2013-Western-Digital-thin-5mm-and-7mm-hard-drives-now-also-come-hybrid-SSHD

I guess there aren't many reviews because they're OEM only now except the small reseller market is full of them for cheaps.

edit: oh nm, WD is still using the dual drive setup on their new SSHDs leveraging Sandisk's iSSD 'driver'. Meh, lame.

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 19, 2015

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me
I don't see much point in the SSHDs. I want either super fast R/W for my boot drives, or cheap storage drives for my media drives. The market of people who want to pay a little extra for slightly faster boot times, but not enough extra to get a dedicated SSD is vanishing fast as SSD drives comes down in price.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
From my own personal experience. A clean install is better than an image clone. Though that might just be me because my cloned image was about two years old. I found that a fresh install when moving to my z97 platform gave me faster boot times on my mushkin chronos deluxe.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Skandranon posted:

I don't see much point in the SSHDs. I want either super fast R/W for my boot drives, or cheap storage drives for my media drives. The market of people who want to pay a little extra for slightly faster boot times, but not enough extra to get a dedicated SSD is vanishing fast as SSD drives comes down in price.

Sometimes you only have one 2.5" bay. 1TB SSHD is like $80.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

dissss posted:

assuming you're with the curve and on windows 8.1, but there are a lot of stubborn people that couldn't get over a minor UI adjustment and stuck with 7. In 7 you'll have to go back and make sure to do a few things so Windows knows you're on an SSD.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Darkpriest667 posted:

assuming you're with the curve and on windows 8.1, but there are a lot of stubborn people that couldn't get over a minor UI adjustment and stuck with 7. In 7 you'll have to go back and make sure to do a few things so Windows knows you're on an SSD.

Some of us are just too cheap to upgrade to a new OS.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Sometimes you only have one 2.5" bay. 1TB SSHD is like $80.

Yeah... I'd just bite the bullet and get the SSD, especially for a laptop. Major problem of laptops is disk based drives fail much more due to the increased movement. SSD solves that perfectly.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Hatter posted:

Some of us are just too cheap to upgrade to a new OS.

It was 15$ to upgrade when 8 came out.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

saucepanman posted:

it was garbage

blackjack
May 22, 2004

The World's Mightiest Puppet!
In this case, Darkpriest667 might have been right. A friend recommended that I delete the partitions on the SSD and do a totally fresh install of Windows. As of now, that's working. It recognized the drive immediately and bringing things up to speed with everything has taken less time than all my struggles with DISKPART, Acronis and Clonezilla.

Maybe my Envy 15 is just temperamental, but this, for now, is working. Thank you. :)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

saucepanman posted:

Well I didn't know that until after it was too late (plus, I haven't jumped on a new OS since Windows XP launched). I might jump on the free upgrade to 10 though, since I know about it this time.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Cat Hatter posted:

Well I didn't know that until after it was too late (plus, I haven't jumped on a new OS since Windows XP launched). I might jump on the free upgrade to 10 though, since I know about it this time.

Microsoft's already adding hooks into 7/8/8.1 to do Windows 10 upgrade reminders, and for all we know they may actually make the effort to do a same-environment upgrade (the way a single-version jump works) for 7.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Darkpriest667 posted:

"Minor" :can:

In any event, wiping an reinstalling the OS is a process I find useful every few years anyway. I'd recommend it 'just because', regardless of the technical capability of the OS realising it's on an SSD and doing all the appropriate stuff.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

saucepanman posted:

go3 posted:

it was garbage

Really, It was a better at handling system resources and a hell of a lot more secure than 7 was. 7 wasn't a bad OS but it would top load the threads and it was not nearly as secure as 8 is/was. I'm sorry the start screen hurt your feelings. You'll love the new start menu in Windows 10 :laugh: :rolleyes:

blackjack posted:

In this case, Darkpriest667 might have been right. A friend recommended that I delete the partitions on the SSD and do a totally fresh install of Windows. As of now, that's working. It recognized the drive immediately and bringing things up to speed with everything has taken less time than all my struggles with DISKPART, Acronis and Clonezilla.

Maybe my Envy 15 is just temperamental, but this, for now, is working. Thank you. :)

Well surprise surprise. You're welcome. Whenever you install a new HDD or SSD or motherboard it's good to do a fresh reinstall. There are too many base level settings in operating systems that get set by storage or motherboard to just clone over. I'm glad so many people have no issues with cloning, but for my money it's just better to do a fresh install and back up your old data.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
The funny thing about this reinstall/clone debate is that it takes longer to read the thread than it does to install windows to an ssd and run ninite.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I couldn't actually get my cloned partition to boot. Had to reinstall.

Also, if you're using the start screen you're doing it wrong. Windows key + S brings up a surprisingly useful search bar that launches your programs, and right clicking the start button gives you all the utilities you need. It's a hell of a lot faster than navigating a start menu.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Darkpriest667 posted:

Really, It was a better at handling system resources and a hell of a lot more secure than 7 was. 7 wasn't a bad OS but it would top load the threads and it was not nearly as secure as 8 is/was. I'm sorry the start screen hurt your feelings. You'll love the new start menu in Windows 10 :laugh: :rolleyes:

Well surprise surprise. You're welcome. Whenever you install a new HDD or SSD or motherboard it's good to do a fresh reinstall. There are too many base level settings in operating systems that get set by storage or motherboard to just clone over. I'm glad so many people have no issues with cloning, but for my money it's just better to do a fresh install and back up your old data.

you literally have no idea what you are talking about fyi

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SSD Megathread: There are too many base level settings that get set by storage or motherboard to just clone over.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Darkpriest667 posted:

There are too many base level settings in operating systems that get set by storage or motherboard to just clone over. I'm glad so many people have no issues with cloning, but for my money it's just better to do a fresh install and back up your old data.

Homeopathic technicians in this thread.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
The 850 EVO is in my system now and I'm very impressed with the performance after running the magician software. Gave the Crucial M4 to a friend - one of those types who has a million different spare parts in his closet for when his buddies need them. Gotta keep the library going! He hooked it up to a few testing programs and saw no irregularities in read/write speeds or errors but still we weren't able to get it to boot properly :iiam:.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

I couldn't actually get my cloned partition to boot. Had to reinstall.

Also, if you're using the start screen you're doing it wrong. Windows key + S brings up a surprisingly useful search bar that launches your programs, and right clicking the start button gives you all the utilities you need. It's a hell of a lot faster than navigating a start menu.

But I LIKE navigating the Start Menu! :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

frozenpeas posted:

The funny thing about this reinstall/clone debate is that it takes longer to read the thread than it does to install windows to an ssd and run ninite.

The effort part of a fresh install is like 10% the install and 90% getting the OS and all your apps configured like you want.

beefnoodle posted:

Homeopathic technicians in this thread.

Hahah!

Darkpriest667 posted:

You also have to be careful when cloning because all that HDD activity can cause the pin on the hard drive head to dig in to the drive and start a fire.

• Locked thread