Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2015/04/15/new-dungeons-dragons-fifth-edition/

quote:

David Ewalt: How has fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons been selling?

Nathan Stewart: We don’t always openly talk about numbers, because Hasbro is a publicly traded company, so we can’t give exact details from Wizards’ business. But I will tell you that we don’t even have a full year of sales on this yet, and we believe very, very strongly that this will finish out on the current trajectory to be the best launch we’ve ever had, both in terms of dollars and in terms of units.

I think if you would have told us –or anyone– that before launch, they would’ve said, “Really? You’re gonna do bigger than third edition or 3.5?” and the answer is, undoubtedly, yes.

Everything exceeded our forecast. We didn’t go in and say, “Hey, it’s gonna be the best launch ever,” that’s a gutsy forecast to make, but we forecasted pretty high. And we re-printed everything, so when everything exceeded our forecast, in most cases we re-printed within weeks of the official launch, if not months.

Have you succeeded in attracting fans of older editions of the game who have resisted upgrading until now? Are people jumping from, say, 2nd edition to 5th?

From an anecdotal point, I will say it feels like more people who were holdouts on first and second edition have come in than I would’ve guessed, but from our research and polling what I’ll tell you is it’s pretty evenly split amongst all editions, and most of them say that it feels like their edition. So that goal was 100% met – to make players of all editions feel welcome, and feel like that they recognize this is their D&D.

I’m hearing a lot of stories of people taking their long-running second edition campaigns and coming over to the new edition and I think that’s pretty telling. That makes me very proud of the work done by the D&D team, because that was a stated goal and something we are making sure that they kept in their vision the whole time.

You’ve also been using adventure books to introduce new rules and races. Are there plans for new sourcebooks beyond the core three, stuff like a Player’s Handbook 2? Or are you just concentrating on stories now?

We are story, story, story. The story drives everything. The need for new rules, the new races, new classes is just based on what’s going to really make this adventure, this story, this kind kind of theme happen. So yeah, you’re gonna continue to see that.

We’re not interested in putting out more books for books’ sake. If we need to deliver rules to the player audience there is a number of ways for us to do that, but it’s all going to be about how it is going to make the entertainment better? How is it making the story more fun? Sometimes, you just see a real need –I think that the Genasi are a great example. It’d be kind of weird to do Elemental Evil and not have the Genasi there. So there’s some obvious choices like that. A class would be another example. Mike Mearls and I always like to talk about if we do a pirate adventure, and add a sea-faring class and Swashbuckler this and that. So it’s all gonna be based on what is the theme… and that’s really based on what the players are telling us they want and what we see through sales, that through feedback that we’re getting.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we do some books here and there that pick up things that the fanbase wants in between stories, because of the feedback we’re hearing. But by and large everything we’re delivering is supporting that annual story –and there’s zero plans for a Player’s Handbook 2 any time on the horizon.

Are you comfortable with where you are in terms of digital tools and accessories for the tabletop game?

I’m not a hundred percent comfortable right now, because I felt like we took a great step backwards. We had a partner who seemed like they were on track to bring out some digital aids that were gonna be good for players, but now we’re looking for different people to bring that forward. We’ve got some opportunities, but I don’t think we have anything concrete right now that serves the main purpose of actually making the tabletop play better.

One of the missing components that we still need to deliver is technology actually aiding the tabletop play in a way that encourages more eye-to-eye contact. I don’t want the game to be three or four guys sitting at a table looking at their computers and not talking. I want the digital tools help create more talking, more story-telling, more role-playing in the role-playing game. We’ve got a couple different options that we’re looking at right now and we do have some opportunities there but we’re a little behind where I’d like to be in terms of delivering that.

What one product is missing from the D&D brand right now that you’d most like to see happen?

This is no secret for anyone here, but the big thing I want to see is just a triple-A RPG video game. I want to see Baldur’s Gate 3, I want to see a huge open-world RPG. I would love movies about Dungeons and Dragons, or better yet, serialized entertainment where we’re doing seasons of D&D stories and things like Forgotten Realms action figures… of course I’d love that, I’m the biggest geek there is. But at the end of the day, the game’s what we’re missing in the portfolio.

Once Sword Coast Legends comes out, we’ll really have this tremendous feather in our cap for the isometric classic RPG style, that adds something new and innovative that no one’s ever done before. That fills a giant hole.

But the other big thing that we’re missing is a big, massive, open-world RPG. Many gamers, quite frankly, have never experienced a Dungeons and Dragons game like we did –something that a whole generation held as the high watermark for RPG’s. From a worldwide basis, from visibility, from people engaging with our story – that’s the big missing piece.

Emphasis mine.

They mentioned all the other D&D editions except one.

And for gently caress's sake, "aiding the tabletop play in a way that encourages more eye-to-eye contact" is letting players access their rulebook PDFs through a tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

quote:

You’ve also been using adventure books to introduce new rules and races. Are there plans for new sourcebooks beyond the core three, stuff like a Player’s Handbook 2? Or are you just concentrating on stories now?

We are story, story, story. The story drives everything.

Huh weird, I was under the impression rules drove games. Surely this isn't just because "stories" dont actually require playtesting and sell gangbusters to the "read on the toilet" demographic

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
So they have no real plans for books coming out anytime soon, no real plans for electronic aids, and their big news is their isometric PC game made by a company known for making Nintendo DS ports, a mediocre jRPG, and the critically acclaimed Hannah Montana license. But they do brag about having "some of the members of the group of leaders that created Dragon Age: Origin" which is just specific enough to be hilarious.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mordiceius posted:

I liked how 4e's Gamma World handled random rolls. You get 18 in your primary origin's stat. 16 in your secondary origin's stat. Then you random roll everything else. If both origins share the same stat, then you get 20 in that stat and random roll everything else.

But random rolling in that game works too because Gamma World characters are supposed to be disposable. I would NEVER force random rolls in a serious campaign. gently caress that poo poo.

So if you're against random rolling, why not just let everyone have 18s across the board, or 12s, or any other arbitrary number since no one would outshine anyone else that way?

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

So if you're against random rolling, why not just let everyone have 18s across the board, or 12s, or any other arbitrary number since no one would outshine anyone else that way?

You are saying this like it is a bad thing, but isn't this exactly what a standard array is?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I linked that a while back, but my favorite thing about the interview is how he says that they'd like to publish books in settings beyond the Forgotten Realms, but they aren't going to do that until FR stops making them money.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Grandicap posted:

You are saying this like it is a bad thing, but isn't this exactly what a standard array is?

No, because a standard array still allows for putting your best scores into the wrong choice. A fighter with low Dex con and str.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

You're right that in most editions the numbers are arbitrary. But not in 4e or the latest GW.

In 4e, there was a conscious effort to try to keep the player and monster math in sync so that players hit on-level monsters roughly 60-70% of the time. And to do that, players needed to start with 18s in their primary ability score.

Granted, there was a lot of unnecessary busy work that went into keeping those numbers in sync, and it didn't always work. But it was arguably necessary if they wanted to keep a lot of the trappings of 3e and earlier editions (numbers going up and items that added to hit).

Now that the math is a lot more obfuscated (or, arguably, nonexistent), it's a lot harder to figure out where those ability scores should be set. But it's absolutely true that having higher numbers grants a player more agency to succeed at what they want to accomplish.

And in a game like D&D where people tend to play long campaigns, the world is often billed as a sandbox, and with no mechanical incentive for creating drama (failing), that's a pretty big deal. There's a huge incentive to beeline a 20 in your primary ability score. And if you can do so ahead of the curve, that's basically free feats in a game where feats are relatively powerful.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
Holy poo poo, why is it so difficult to understand that the reason random rolling for stats is a BAD IDEA is because the math of the game relies on certain expected numbers to be in certain expected stats for all classes. You can "roleplay" with bad numbers until you're blue in the God drat face but it won't change the fact that the hard mechanics of the game expect you to be X tall to ride this loving ride, and you're not pulling your God damned weight if you do not meet this criteria. Ability scores matter so much to the character's basic functionality that rolling them randomly is already a strike against your character if you happen to roll like poo poo. Anyone who prefers random rolling really needs to divorce themselves from the idea that "I could roll really well, so it's fine!" or "Well I could roleplay a low STR Fighter!" with the fact that the actual game itself has expectations. Your low STR Fighter is going to be loving USELESS because he won't be able to hit the God damned enemy! Something, I might add, that by the very mechanics of the game, is the ONLY thing he is SUPPOSED to be good at. Anyone who denies this isn't playing loving dungeons and dragons.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

Technically it works if:

1. The arbitrary number is set to whatever it is the game needs for it to be set for the rest of the underlying math to work

2. You use the set arbitrary numbers for all of the stats that matter. That can be a single stat for a Wizard, or two for a Fighter (unless you're using DEX, whatever), or three for a Paladin/Monk, and so on and so forth. Not having played Gamma World, I do not know if there's a MAD situation in that game.

So yeah, "give me set stat numbers for the important stuff, let me roll the rest" can work, but it's kind of like random rolling with a lot of fail-safe procedures: at some point you've taken so many steps to guarantee a decent set of numbers that you might as well just flat-out use a decent set of numbers.

Even if we excuse random rolling your CHA for a chance of getting to roleplay a character with 6 CHA and all that that entails - if you wanted to do that you should just do that irrespective of your actual stats.

EDIT: And the next step after "always just use a decent set of numbers" is to do away with a player's ability to gently caress around with their mission critical numbers in the first place.

If you're going to guarantee that a Fighter always has an 18 to play with and if you're going to tell the Fighter to always put that 18 into STR, cut out the middle man and stop giving them the 18 to stop them from sticking it somewhere they shouldn't

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 20, 2015

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You could just reduce the impact ability modifiers have on rolls so you can more comfortably have a deviation from the "expected" value. Base your system around the d100 and watch as the importance of a +1 modifier shrinks to a fifth! The sky or your ability to make regular polyhedral objects is the limit, and we live in the age of 3D printers! :v:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Agent Boogeyman posted:

Holy poo poo, why is it so difficult to understand that the reason random rolling for stats is a BAD IDEA is because the math of the game relies on certain expected numbers to be in certain expected stats for all classes. You can "roleplay" with bad numbers until you're blue in the God drat face but it won't change the fact that the hard mechanics of the game expect you to be X tall to ride this loving ride, and you're not pulling your God damned weight if you do not meet this criteria. Ability scores matter so much to the character's basic functionality that rolling them randomly is already a strike against your character if you happen to roll like poo poo. Anyone who prefers random rolling really needs to divorce themselves from the idea that "I could roll really well, so it's fine!" or "Well I could roleplay a low STR Fighter!" with the fact that the actual game itself has expectations. Your low STR Fighter is going to be loving USELESS because he won't be able to hit the God damned enemy! Something, I might add, that by the very mechanics of the game, is the ONLY thing he is SUPPOSED to be good at. Anyone who denies this isn't playing loving dungeons and dragons.

This indirectly explains a goddamn ton about why some of the D&D players I've met over the past 6 months come across as joyless, domineering douchebags.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

No, because a standard array still allows for putting your best scores into the wrong choice. A fighter with low Dex con and str.
It's been pointed out before but you're basically making the popular 4e "Death to Ability Scores" argument here. In a game with Class, Level, Skills, and Ability Score, at least one of those is going to be redundant in describing the capabilities of a character.

Keeping all four does add more customization to the game (dex vs str fighters), but at the cost of creating huge system mastery traps. If you just made your combat effectiveness a function of Class and Level, you can cut out the middle man and describe your fighting style however you want (or through your power/manouver choices).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ImpactVector posted:

It's been pointed out before but you're basically making the popular 4e "Death to Ability Scores" argument here. In a game with Class, Level, Skills, and Ability Score, at least one of those is going to be redundant in describing the capabilities of a character.

Keeping all four does add more customization to the game (dex vs str fighters), but at the cost of creating huge system mastery traps. If you just made your combat effectiveness a function of Class and Level, you can cut out the middle man and describe your fighting style however you want (or through your power/manouver choices).

Yet this takes away from playing an ultra smart fighter or super strong wizard. The math expectation of optimization limits your choices. So instead of going back to a fixed math system like 4e, smooth out the bonuses so that it isn't required to max your primary stat or else.

Basically it boils down to option of playing Conan or batman or whatever else. Either you allow random rolling so that kind of character shows up now and then, or just make every hero perfect unless they want to roleplay lower stats.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

That's just another reason why arrays are better than rolling, then. It's the best of both worlds. If you want to be effective, you can put your big numbers in the right spots. If you think it's creative role-playing to have a character who's useless at their basic functions, you can put your big numbers in the verisimilitudinous spots instead. Everybody wins! Except when they want to role-play losing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Really Pants posted:

That's just another reason why arrays are better than rolling, then. It's the best of both worlds. If you want to be effective, you can put your big numbers in the right spots. If you think it's creative role-playing to have a character who's useless at their basic functions, you can put your big numbers in the verisimilitudinous spots instead. Everybody wins! Except when they want to role-play losing.

No , because you can never get exceptional all around characters that way, and its neat to see them. The people I play with have historically similar rolling-2 of them repeatedly roll incredibly well, another guy and myself incredibly poorly. I'm fine with my guy being subpar when it lets the guy playing the priest have a huge con and str score on top of his wisdom and be an absolute beast

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Yet this takes away from playing an ultra smart fighter or super strong wizard. The math expectation of optimization limits your choices. So instead of going back to a fixed math system like 4e, smooth out the bonuses so that it isn't required to max your primary stat or else.

Basically it boils down to option of playing Conan or batman or whatever else. Either you allow random rolling so that kind of character shows up now and then, or just make every hero perfect unless they want to roleplay lower stats.
In what way does DTAS "take away" from playing off-beat characters? If you want to play a high-Int fighter you take the History skill. Likewise, a high-Str wizard would just take the Athletics skill. Then the player gets to choose what kind of character you are, and aren't forced to play in-type.

Or hell, you could random roll your skill selections. As long as they're well balanced (i.e. we don't have the Perception problem) and we don't have any that are required for the party to have (like trap-disarming skills), this is a pretty cool way to do random characters. And you can weight the rolls however you want, so they're all an even chance or you're more likely to play in-type. Or if you have required skills, you can always allow players to select some of their skills.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ImpactVector posted:

In what way does DTAS "take away" from playing off-beat characters? If you want to play a high-Int fighter you take the History skill. Likewise, a high-Str wizard would just take the Athletics skill. Then the player gets to choose what kind of character you are, and aren't forced to play in-type.

Or hell, you could random roll your skill selections. As long as they're well balanced (i.e. we don't have the Perception problem) and we don't have any that are required for the party to have (like trap-disarming skills), this is a pretty cool way to do random characters. And you can weight the rolls however you want, so they're all an even chance or you're more likely to play in-type. Or if you have required skills, you can always allow players to select some of their skills.

Skills aren't stats.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

I might be misunderstanding, but is one of your points that your role-playing in largely restricted by your stats?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Grimpond posted:

I might be misunderstanding, but is one of your points that your role-playing in largely restricted by your stats?

I think so, yeah. For instance, if you don't have a high wisdom or int your character shouldn't be coming up with intelligent solutions to problems.

Heck, just having a very low str is interesting when everyone is discussing hauling or carrying something and you point out you can't do that. Or if your musclewizard can in fact do that , that's also interesting.

They're used as a baseline to represent your character in all situations, instead of just looking at your skill list and seeing what you can apply that to.

Hell, you shouldn't be able to pull a jean valjean and lift a carriage off of someone with an 8 in str, even if you did take the skill athletics. You should also be hitting things a bunch better and harder (than others of your class and level) if you're the strongest guy alive . etcetc. This isn't complicated

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 20, 2015

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You have to sleep with me because I've got high Charisma.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Skills aren't stats.
This seems like a pretty arbitrary distinction. Why can't they be?

I mean, granted, DTAS will never be a thing in D&D. Ability Scores are a pretty central sacred cow (more so than skills even). This is all just a thought experiment. Even I'm too lazy to try to shoehorn them into the edition that'd best support them.

But rolling for scores is even crazier. What happens when you get bored with playing a sidekick and watching your cleric buddy succeed at everything? When do you get the spotlight?

That dynamic really isn't healthy for long campaigns. A bored player will try to shake things up somehow, often to the detriment of the ongoing story. They'll usually try to retire the character, either with permission or forcefully (by getting him killed), which can create headaches for the DM if they had character-specific plans for the campaign.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mastershakeman posted:

Hell, you shouldn't be able to pull a jean valjean and lift a carriage off of someone with an 8 in str, even if you did take the skill athletics. You should also be hitting things a bunch better and harder (than others of your class and level) if you're the strongest guy alive . etcetc. This isn't complicated

If ability scores didn't exist (so Strength wasn't a thing), why couldn't basing what your character can do off his skills be enough to play non-stereotypical versions of his class? You could then fluff class abilities to fit whatever direction you are going for.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Hell, you shouldn't be able to pull a jean valjean and lift a carriage off of someone with an 8 in str, even if you did take the skill athletics.

Why not? He could still roll high on his Strength check. Rolling is everything in role-playing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kibner posted:

If ability scores didn't exist (so Strength wasn't a thing), why couldn't basing what your character can do off his skills be enough to play non-stereotypical versions of his class? You could then fluff class abilities to fit whatever direction you are going for.

Don't you end up coming full circle on this and creating skills that model ability scores? What's the point?

Hell, I'd much, much rather get rid of skills and keep ability scores, going back to nonweapon proficiencies/weapon proficiencies ala 2e. And if you're so very worried that the non-existent math and class balance will be ruined by rolling for scores, just 'choose' the ability scores exactly like you would skills.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 20, 2015

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mastershakeman posted:

Don't you end up coming full circle on this and creating skills that model ability scores? What's the point?

Hell, I'd much, much rather get rid of skills and keep ability scores, going back to nonweapon proficiencies/weapon proficiencies ala 2e.

HeroQuest doesn't have ability scores or skills. Instead, you take "abilities" which is a thing you make up that your character can use to solve problems. If DnD was able to get away with something similar to that, it could work well (at least, in my mind).

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Giving people the ability to function in their class and then a set of skills that do NOT model ability scores is the goal. You would not have a skill "is strong." You would have a skill "climbing walls" that does not automatically also make you an arrow-dodging ninja who is also really good with a bow.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Hell, I'd much, much rather get rid of skills and keep ability scores, going back to nonweapon proficiencies/weapon proficiencies ala 2e. And if you're so very worried that the non-existent math and class balance will be ruined by rolling for scores, just 'choose' the ability scores exactly like you would skills.
That works too. The main idea is that you just don't want to have ability scores affect how good you are at your central class abilities or combat stats (or at least significantly de-emphasize them like in oD&D). Because that's what creates system mastery traps and forces people into playing strict archetypes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, so let's say you're playing with a standard array, and you want to make a "Smart Fighter", so when assigning your highest stat, you put it into INT.

Except the rules-as-written state that your to-hit and damage bonuses are still derived from your STR, so then you're always going to be deliberately worse off in combat, and you're playing D&D, which is really focused on combat, so what then?

If the argument is instead that you'd be using randomly rolled stats so that you can get a Fighter that has three 18s that you can sink into STR, CON and INT, why not just use a modified array that has multiple 18s so you're not taking a chance and you're not the only one with a really good character?

I mean, ultimately this argument is probably going to circle around to "randomly rolled stats is fine if you know exactly what you're getting into and everyone agrees to it", but that's part of why it's bad: people usually don't understand the reasons why it should or shouldn't be used and therefore will agree to it without a good grasp of the implications.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Why is this argument always about smart fighters and strong wizards? Never once have I seen someone want to play like an especially charismatic priest.

Also why do people think that playing a buff wizard is like extra-special good roleplaying?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

theironjef posted:

Why is this argument always about smart fighters and strong wizards? Never once have I seen someone want to play like an especially charismatic priest.
I'm guessing because traditionally (or at least in 3e) turn undead was Cha-based, so they've generally wanted at least a smattering of charisma. It's not outlandish enough to serve as a DTAS example. Plus you'd probably imagine a priest to be a decent orator anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

Also why do people think that playing a buff wizard is like extra-special good roleplaying?

Well ...

mastershakeman posted:

For instance, if you don't have a high wisdom or int your character shouldn't be coming up with intelligent solutions to problems.

Hell, you shouldn't be able to pull a jean valjean and lift a carriage off of someone with an 8 in str, even if you did take the skill athletics.

... he says this with regards to playing a game about fantasy swords-and-sorcery, so it's part-grog, part using a system that condemns you to being shitfarmers.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

theironjef posted:

Because high charisma is an excellent stat to have and is often the third highest stat. I was trying to use examples with a class having a high score in what would otherwise be its lowest.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mastershakeman posted:

What does someone's STR score have to do with your ability to pull a carriage off them?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mastershakeman posted:

I think so, yeah. For instance, if you don't have a high wisdom or int your character shouldn't be coming up with intelligent solutions to problems.

Heck, just having a very low str is interesting when everyone is discussing hauling or carrying something and you point out you can't do that. Or if your musclewizard can in fact do that , that's also interesting.

They're used as a baseline to represent your character in all situations, instead of just looking at your skill list and seeing what you can apply that to.

Now wait a minute. Part of the eternal argument about LF/QW is that noncasters can actually contribute just as much to the out-of-combat game as casters through ~~roleplaying solutions~~. Now you're saying they can't even do that because they should have rolled better stats, peasant?

What the hell?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Guys, remember that mastershakeman is the reason this thread has the title it does, i.e. he's an idiot and you're all arguing with an idiot.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

theironjef posted:

What does someone's STR score have to do with your ability to pull a carriage off them?

Someone's strength doesn't have anything to do with their strength?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Even a difference between a score of 8 and 18 is just a +5. That's a 25% better chance of lifting the cart off.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

No , because you can never get exceptional all around characters that way, and its neat to see them. The people I play with have historically similar rolling-2 of them repeatedly roll incredibly well, another guy and myself incredibly poorly. I'm fine with my guy being subpar when it lets the guy playing the priest have a huge con and str score on top of his wisdom and be an absolute beast
Wall of :spergin: incoming:

The problem you're trying to solve is "Ability scores as implemented in D&D require you to subtract from your core competencies to play a well-rounded character". Your proposed solution is "Give some people more ability scores than other people". This solution has two consequences:

1) some people roll flat better characters that everyone else
2) some people roll frankly unplayable characters

Neither of these are seen as problems by you, since according to your arguments (1) is intended and the benefits of (1) outweigh the negatives of (2). Your reasoning is flawed in three ways.

Firstly, both (1) and (2), but especially (2), are things that actively drive people away from the hobby. No matter how cool playing your all 18s character is, it is not worth losing players over. I know people who dropped out of the hobby for years due to not having fun playing a shitfarmer among demigods for their first couple of play sessions, and know of others who never came back for the same reason. I personally nearly stopped playing TTRPGs early because my first couple of characters failed everything they tried to do and died in their first sessions. The reason you believe it's worth it is because of basic sample bias. If something is only mildly annoying then you'll hear a lot of opinions about it. If something is sufficiently lovely that it actually makes people leave the community then you'll end up self-selecting for people who don't have a problem with it, or actively think it's a good thing. The reason this hobby is so small and insular is because we're really, really good at driving away the casuals.

This self-selecting thing exists everywhere btw. It's called the echo chamber effect.

Secondly, you're trying to solve a problem by addressing the symptoms rather than the root causes. Not only that, but one of the root causes ("Bigger numbers mean more player agency, Ability Scores have the biggest impact on your numbers") is actually exacerbated by your solution ("Some people have more/less Ability Scores, and therefore bigger/smaller numbers, and therefore more/less player agency than everyone else"). Nobody is arguing here that D&D's inability to have both well-rounded and also effective characters is a good thing, just that this particular solution is crap. There are other solutions with more focus on the root causes, such as deemphasising or entirely unlinking ability scores from class effectiveness, or replacing ability scores with another system entirely.

Finally, you're treating arguments against random rolling as arguments against your reasons for random rolling. An argument against a solution is not an argument for the problem. Again, nobody is saying that being able to play a well-rounded and also effective character is a bad thing, quite the opposite. The argument is that random rolling (in the context of 3.X+ D&D) is a lovely solution that causes way more problems than it resolves. Even if all (or at least most of) the root causes are ignored, there are potentially better solutions that allow for disparate ability scores while keeping equivalent narrative agency that don't have the abysmal downsides of random rolling. At the least they'll have different abysmal downsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"If your STR is 8 and you are proficient in Athletics, you should not be able to lift a cart"

8 STR is a -1 penalty to the roll
Level 1 Proficiency is a +2 bonus to the roll

60% chance of succeeding on an Easy DC 10
35% chance of succeeding on a Moderate DC 15
10% chance of succeeding on a Hard DC 20

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you as the DM were going to disallow the player from rolling on a "lift the cart" action because their character is "not strong", that's still an argument against the use of ability scores