Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Greatbacon posted:

Haha, thos e wacky milienials are disrupting a storied culture in place since the great dipression, built on misery and poverty. What will they do next?

Why are they ruining literally everything? Whty don't they own homes? Where are my grandchildren? Who will take care of me in my slow descent into dementia?

Fc uking milenials...

this, but ironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-19/bmw-brings-back-old-school-goggles-with-a-twist

Bloomberg posted:

If someone texts while you're driving, a small warning appears onscreen and gives you the option of having the car read the message aloud.

yes i want useless poo poo shoved in front of my limited vision when driving, taking away attention please...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF5FbGM6p9g

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

what's the hobo code symbol for free wifi?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kwinkles posted:

i like how most of the article is about them being cool and tech-savvy and using Reddit to share ideas and skills and then he refuses to share his new special secret code for free wifi.

a chunk of it was about tragic people who seemed to not have a choice and were doing things like squatting in abandoned buildings to try to maybe have a house eventually though so that's pretty sad :smith:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

kwinkles posted:

lol

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

refleks posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-19/bmw-brings-back-old-school-goggles-with-a-twist

yes i want useless poo poo shoved in front of my limited vision when driving, taking away attention please...

instead of just displaying a blind spot view when you look to the side it should also turn on the turn signal.

but it is all a dream because it is not like BMW could make electronics that work anyway

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

instead of just displaying a blind spot view when you look to the side it should also turn on the turn signal.

but it is all a dream because it is not like BMW could make electronics that work anyway

i like how they barely pretend to show what it actually looks like from his view and it's 100% just made up poo poo in aftereffects.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

refleks posted:

huds seem to work pretty well for airplanes, now whether that translates to much busier driving conditions I don't know.

looks just like a specialized version of glass though I guess.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lyon posted:

huds seem to work pretty well for airplanes, now whether that translates to much busier driving conditions I don't know.

airplanes also have $infinity budget so the wearable hud poo poo that like, the F-35 has basically makes you superhuman and gives you crazy radar-vision and poisons you and anything boiled down to fit in glasses and offered to a consumer market is probably gonna suck

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

airplanes also have $infinity budget so the wearable hud poo poo that like, the F-35 has basically makes you superhuman and gives you crazy radar-vision and poisons you and anything boiled down to fit in glasses and offered to a consumer market is probably gonna suck

yeah, f-35 electronics are so great

it'll probably electrocute you if it rains

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

huds are only just making it into airliners, they won't see use in cars for ages yet

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kwinkles posted:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warchalking

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

f-35 crashes into ground when crossing international date line

it tries to asphyxiate pilots

its maintenance required per flight hour is on par with North Korean MiGs

it doesn't work in the rain

it can't fuel from trucks that are too hot

its radar guidance doesn't work

it will get struck by lightning if it "flies twice in 12 hours" unless the fuel tanks are purged with nitrogen

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Luigi Thirty posted:

it will get struck by lightning if it "flies twice in 12 hours" unless the fuel tanks are purged with nitrogen

This is why we will never make it to space as a species. We can't even make an airplane properly.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I don't think nasa and idiot defense contractor trying to bilk the military out of billions of dollars are the same thing

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't think nasa and idiot defense contractor trying to bilk the military out of billions of dollars are the same thing

who do you think is making the things for NASA

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

nasa's budget isn't high enough to make the bilking worthwhile

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Luigi Thirty posted:

nasa and idiot defense contractor

but you repeat yourself?

(nasa is an aerospace jobs program for southern states)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

but you repeat yourself?

(nasa is an aerospace jobs program for southern states)

not to start a poo poo-flinging fight about NASA or anything but "it exists to soak up an ever-increasing budget and not get anything useful done" doesn't really describe it, but does describe the F-35 quite well.

i mean at this point NASA's entire plan has been cut down to "let's tape our tin can to the ESA's tin can and launch it on old shuttle parts and hope it gets to MARS sometime in the 2040's"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

idk why i capitalized MARS

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they aren't using used lovely shuttle parts, they're making new lovely shuttle parts to prevent bidding or loss of business to the old lovely defense contractors.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i like how they barely pretend to show what it actually looks like from his view and it's 100% just made up poo poo in aftereffects.

yeah having watched the video now (gotta :justpost: first dammit) anything approaching that level of capability is lol in a consumer device.

Lyon posted:

the price of the holographic sheet of glass used to reflect the hud display in an aircraft is more than a mini cooper.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

i remember watching some 20/20 or Frontline investigative report about it that had some general in charge of the project showing them how great and fantastic and wonderful it is and at the end they go "is this really worth $xxx it's going to take to finish it when it has all these problems and we don't really do air superiority warfare anymore?" and the general dude leans in and gets a very scary serious face on and looks directly into the camera and goes "the project WILL be funded to completion and we WILL be using the F-35." and then he refused to talk about the subject after that.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

i remember watching some 20/20 or Frontline investigative report about it that had some general in charge of the project showing them how great and fantastic and wonderful it is and at the end they go "is this really worth $xxx it's going to take to finish it when it has all these problems and we don't really do air superiority warfare anymore?" and the general dude leans in and gets a very scary serious face on and looks directly into the camera and goes "the project WILL be funded to completion and we WILL be using the F-35." and then he refused to talk about the subject after that.

I'm the MIC

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

they aren't using used lovely shuttle parts, they're making new lovely shuttle parts to prevent bidding or loss of business to the old lovely defense contractors.

a big chunk of those defense contractors only exist in the first place because NASA had to cut chunks of itself off, like USA.

i mean I'm not gonna say NASA's perfect and a big part of it is a jobs program for southern states and corporate welfare for aerospace companies but gently caress do i hate Elon Musk's smug self-satisfaction and evil libertarian-ism so I'm hella torn.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

wish I could drop you

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

a big chunk of those defense contractors only exist in the first place because NASA had to cut chunks of itself off, like USA.

i mean I'm not gonna say NASA's perfect and a big part of it is a jobs program for southern states and corporate welfare for aerospace companies but gently caress do i hate Elon Musk's smug self-satisfaction and evil libertarian-ism so I'm hella torn.

letting space x do all the resupply missions is the best thing nasa has done wrt new rocket programs. the next working nasa rocket designs are all 30 years out.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

letting space x do all the resupply missions is the best thing nasa has done wrt new rocket programs. the next working nasa rocket designs are all 30 years out.

idk they just tested the SRB's and first test flights are scheduled for 2018 (meaning will probably actually happen in the early 2020's). I mean I'm fine with delegating the boring every-day poo poo to SpaceX it's just that's not Elon's plan, Elon wants to be NASA.

gently caress i know we're gonna wind up with a highly-corpratized space whose benefits are only reaped by the rich eventually I was just hoping we could pretend it was just about science and for everyone's benefit for a little bit longer before we start raping the space-asteroids and building resort getaways on the moon :smith:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only thing nasas new rockets will ever do is shuttle people to the ISS

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

Luigi Thirty posted:

the first two happened to the f-22 too, we have two expensive boondoggle aircraft now

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

pretty sure if i remember right NASA was planning on using up all the old shuttle main engines on the first few SLS flights to save a few bucks. all the engines you see on the orbiters in museums are just lookalikes.

Shaggar posted:

the only thing nasas new rockets will ever do is shuttle people to the ISS

SLS is way too big and expensive for that and honestly by the time they're in 'regular service' (lol they're planning on flying one like once every three years or some insane poo poo like that) there's a good chance ISS will no longer be operational

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dolomite posted:

the first two happened to the f-22 too, we have two expensive boondoggle aircraft now

man i remember when people were all "f-22 is so useless we should just buy more f-35!!"

huge, huge lols

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they should just buy more a10s and then design some a10-like drones and make a shitload of those.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

gently caress i know we're gonna wind up with a highly-corpratized space whose benefits are only reaped by the rich eventually I was just hoping we could pretend it was just about science and for everyone's benefit for a little bit longer before we start raping the space-asteroids and building resort getaways on the moon :smith:

making asteroid mining profitable would be an amazing development that i would welcome with open arms. it means either there's such a huge demand for material in space that it's become more practical to do manufacturing in orbit (which means we're doing a shitload of stuff up there) or they've somehow managed to make it price-competitive with terrestrial mining and we can start getting people out of the terrible business of blasting huge gouges in the earth and asphyxiating to death in our man-made caves.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i remember watching some 20/20 or Frontline investigative report about it that had some general in charge of the project showing them how great and fantastic and wonderful it is and at the end they go "is this really worth $xxx it's going to take to finish it when it has all these problems and we don't really do air superiority warfare anymore?"

wrong

Dolomite posted:

wrong

Shaggar posted:

they should just buy more a10s and then design some a10-like drones and make a shitload of those.

egregiously wrong

most of the usaf is pushing ~20 years old on average. they need something to replace the current planes. and you don't build for the war you're fighting, you build for the war you expect to fight (russia or china or maybe india) so you might as well try to push the evelope; most current us designs barring the lockmart abortions are a gen out of date, the russians and indians are putting stuff together that beats them. as for the a-10 it's shithouse. it's not particularly good at tank killing and it's too much plane for bombing terrists. but herp herp it's goes braap so goons like it. also, drones atm are really expensive if you want anything near the capability of a manned plane. atm the current philosophy for using them is as basically missile carriers for a manned fighter or recon or smth that doesn't really risk it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Forums Terrorist posted:

wrong

wrong

egregiously wrong

most of the usaf is pushing ~20 years old on average. they need something to replace the current planes. and you don't build for the war you're fighting, you build for the war you expect to fight (russia or china or maybe india) so you might as well try to push the evelope; most current us designs barring the lockmart abortions are a gen out of date, the russians and indians are putting stuff together that beats them. as for the a-10 it's shithouse. it's not particularly good at tank killing and it's too much plane for bombing terrists. but herp herp it's goes braap so goons like it. also, drones atm are really expensive if you want anything near the capability of a manned plane. atm the current philosophy for using them is as basically missile carriers for a manned fighter or recon or smth that doesn't really risk it.

Nice!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

asphyxiating to death in our man-caves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Forums Terrorist posted:

wrong

wrong

egregiously wrong

"The war you're expecting to fight" is apparently the cold war, then.

also I'm pretty sure if we sank that $1.5 trillion into drones they'd be better than manned planes with squishy pilots full of self-preservation instincts and stuff. or we could have the defense department actually focus on defense instead of world policing and having a big dick fight with China and Russia but lol if that will ever happen.

• Locked thread