Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

JT Jag posted:

America is still loving amazing at conventional warfare, it dismantled the state of Iraq in less than a week. It just hasn't wrapped its head around the idea that the world has moved on to an age where asynchronous warfare is more commonplace.

It's all asymmetrical when the opponent is a figurative Goliath. No one wants to get in a straight up sword fight when you can just hurl a well placed stone between the eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

JT Jag posted:

America is still loving amazing at conventional warfare, it dismantled the state of Iraq in less than a week. It just hasn't wrapped its head around the idea that the world has moved on to an age where asynchronous warfare is more commonplace.

Or that "winning" can be a lot more complicated than "killing more of them and blowing up more of their stuff."

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Stultus Maximus posted:

Or that "winning" can be a lot more complicated than "killing more of them and blowing up more of their stuff."

It certainly is more difficult to kill an idea. US took too long to realize that and for every Iraqi or Afghan village infrastructure project that gets completed(if at all) you have two incidences of collateral damage keeping the flames going.

Edit: Pump DoD money into the SeaBees.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Stultus Maximus posted:

Also known as the only republican war strategy.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

That's the most recent polling, it dropped this morning

So you mean Chipotle-gate hasn't made the nation realize what a monster Clinton is? Maybe if they just flog it, like, really hard, for several more months they will get the result they seek.

I think possibly my favorite thing so far is Trump retweeting that line about if Hillary couldn't satisfy her husband how can she satisfy America. Yes, let's have your obnoxious cartoon caricature of a rich guy, famous for ditching his attractive wife for a younger woman, hold forth about how that hag couldn't keep her man at home! America's women will no doubt respond well to this. :downsbravo:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
How much money did the US pump into Europe via the Marshall Plan versus how much was (badly) invested into Iraq (through private contractors that pissed it all away)? Could the country have turned out better if the Army Corps of Engineers kickstarted them into the 21st century through brute force, or were insurgents always going to blow it all up even if the money was actually being spent wisely?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

RuanGacho posted:

I'm glad that everyone is appropriately informed about the likelihood of man made EMP but those of us in planning government emergency response actually do talk about EMP as a serious infrastructure threat because the last bout of seriously bad solar weather happened in the 80s and were really not sure how poo poo will go down in the next 30 year event ( and yes that's due soon)
http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/08/01/solar_storm_a_massive_2012_cme_just_missed_the_earth.html

See attached pictures.

Quick question - why do we talk about hardening the grid but not hardening everything? Like wouldn't a massive EMP blow up approximately all electronics? Like everything from laptops and cell phones to newer cars to some thermostats?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I've heard this but I don't know if its anything more than a platitude that came about after Vietnam. Didn't the US do an awful lot of regime changes during the cold war? Didn't the Soviets do likewise with Eastern Europe? Isn't there a fuckton of historical examples in general of an outside entity setting up puppet governments or otherwise dictating how things are run in their sphere of influence? I think its accurate to call it a lot more difficult and dirty than people would like to imagine, but taking a strict "can't ever work" approach seems sort of simplistic.

I'm not a history expert, but I think there were two factors. First, there was a larger, slightly less corrupt opposition that we backed in a lot of those regime changes, meaning we were starting less from scratch. Second, those regimes weren't particularly stable either, they were just less unstable and since it wasn't American troops fighting and dying to uphold the new regimes it drew less notice in the US.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zwabu posted:

So you mean Chipotle-gate hasn't made the nation realize what a monster Clinton is? Maybe if they just flog it, like, really hard, for several more months they will get the result they seek.

I think possibly my favorite thing so far is Trump retweeting that line about if Hillary couldn't satisfy her husband how can she satisfy America. Yes, let's have your obnoxious cartoon caricature of a rich guy, famous for ditching his attractive wife for a younger woman, hold forth about how that hag couldn't keep her man at home! America's women will no doubt respond well to this. :downsbravo:

That screenshot I posted came from a tweet entitled "Reminder: this is the response to the question 'how will Hillary overcome this scandal'"

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Asymmetrical warfare isn't some magical win button. It's much, much more difficult to carry out, has a more limited impact, and requires a level of commitment grand-scale warfare does not. What it does do effectively is make life for an occupying force a living hell of distrust and security headaches, which can quickly make any supposed benefits of a war seem to be not really worth it, after all. Remember that the Tet Offensive was an attempt by the Vietcong to wage traditional war against the United States and it failed in every respect but one: It demonstrated the utter uselessness of the long US occupation thus far and soured a great many fence-sitters in the states on the war. Iraq never grew into anything beyond insurgent level, but we didn't have even half a plan on what to do after we occupied the country so we were hosed from the get-go.
If we go by a simple 'hostile killed+materiel destroyed' metric, the US was beyond spectacularly successful in Iraq and Afghanistan. But those numbers don't say a drat thing about the real costs of a war.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

VanSandman posted:

Asymmetrical warfare isn't some magical win button. It's much, much more difficult to carry out, has a more limited impact, and requires a level of commitment grand-scale warfare does not. What it does do effectively is make life for an occupying force a living hell of distrust and security headaches, which can quickly make any supposed benefits of a war seem to be not really worth it, after all. Remember that the Tet Offensive was an attempt by the Vietcong to wage traditional war against the United States and it failed in every respect but one: It demonstrated the utter uselessness of the long US occupation thus far and soured a great many fence-sitters in the states on the war. Iraq never grew into anything beyond insurgent level, but we didn't have even half a plan on what to do after we occupied the country so we were hosed from the get-go.
If we go by a simple 'hostile killed+materiel destroyed' metric, the US was beyond spectacularly successful in Iraq and Afghanistan. But those numbers don't say a drat thing about the real costs of a war.

They also don't say anything about endstate.

Our goal in Iraq and Afghanistan was regime change. A victorious outcome was a friendly, democratic government in those countries. That cannot be achieved through superior military force, and probably can't be achieved by any external pressure we can put on. Therefore we lost before we even started.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Good Citizen posted:

My middle school literally sold little plastic tubs full of cookie dough in the cafeteria
They do this at Meatheads now. As a dessert.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

gradenko_2000 posted:

How much money did the US pump into Europe via the Marshall Plan versus how much was (badly) invested into Iraq (through private contractors that pissed it all away)? Could the country have turned out better if the Army Corps of Engineers kickstarted them into the 21st century through brute force, or were insurgents always going to blow it all up even if the money was actually being spent wisely?

I don't know much about the subject and the one google search result that seemed like it'd offer you some answer was behind a pay wall on Foreign Policy, but from the title (for whatever it's worth) stated the US outspent the Marshall plan in Iraq. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will come and overwrite whatever I say. That said...

Don't think they'd be that disingenuous for FP to not take inflation into account though. Though not sure how comparable they can be. Europe didn't continue to be a war zone during reconstruction and a lot of the money granted to Europe was returned to the US in the form of increased exports for US goods. Where the hell the money in Iraq went, hell if I know.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Jackson Taus posted:

Quick question - why do we talk about hardening the grid but not hardening everything? Like wouldn't a massive EMP blow up approximately all electronics? Like everything from laptops and cell phones to newer cars to some thermostats?

Hardening is expensive and you typically have to trade off something else desirable (radiation-hardened CPUs in today's space probes have performance equivalent to late 90s desktop computers).

Also, if your cell phone or thermostat blows up you can get a new one; if the power grid blows up your country is hosed for years if not decades.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Jackson Taus posted:

The short answer is that we can't get the free market actors to stop using hard coded passwords for cyber security in inconsequential systems like power plants and HVAC systems and the like, trying to tell the American public that at some random time interval we cant predict the sun is going to have a plasma tantrum and send an electromag hail storm to end civilization as we know it is not an easy political sell.

You can see this useless behavior in how we are currently dealing with the wild fires that keep happening in the west side of the country.

The real issue is that America is very reactionary right now and with the power on we can get key transformers restored in 3 months, we being reliant on cost benefit analysis of the private sector only have spare parts for 10% (if that) of the grid being damaged which is way less than what a significant solar event would will do.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

They also don't say anything about endstate.

Our goal in Iraq and Afghanistan was regime change. A victorious outcome was a friendly, democratic government in those countries. That cannot be achieved through superior military force, and probably can't be achieved by any external pressure we can put on. Therefore we lost before we even started.

I think it was in Woodwards first book on the war from the perspective of the Bush administration, and everyone was just out of their loving minds as far as their expectations go. Everyone among the joint chiefs were like "this poo poo will not work are you insane" and most people in the administration just wouldn't hear about it. We might have had SOME luck without kicking baathists to the curb, but when wolfowitz was going "eh we can do it with like 10,000 troops no problem" we were hosed from the get-go. I don't think there was a step along the way where the US didn't squander any/all goodwill among Iraqis that could have helped smooth some things out somewhere.

The scary thing about the Iraq war to me wasn't that we basically curbstomped Saddam and their military because we knew we could do that, but that everyone (including many people in the military) knew how bad we were loving things up long before we ever set foot in that country and that the administration just didn't give a poo poo. They were so blindly enthusiastic in just knowing they'd get the outcome of their dreams that they didn't plan for any contingencies. They did everything wrong.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I've heard this but I don't know if its anything more than a platitude that came about after Vietnam. Didn't the US do an awful lot of regime changes during the cold war? Didn't the Soviets do likewise with Eastern Europe? Isn't there a fuckton of historical examples in general of an outside entity setting up puppet governments or otherwise dictating how things are run in their sphere of influence? I think its accurate to call it a lot more difficult and dirty than people would like to imagine, but taking a strict "can't ever work" approach seems sort of simplistic.

Likewise, I'm not really convinced that Iraq was "unwinnable" at the start (although everything about the idea was generally stupid, don't get me wrong). A lot of the terrible results came about since the Bush Admin. was generally awful at actually carrying out an occupation, from the "hailed as liberators" sentiment, appointing the living turd in human form, Paul Bremer, to manage Iraq, and otherwise doing basically nothing to prevent the establishment of an insurgency.

This may not be a very popular opinion.

Bring this opinion over to the Mideast thread of sadness. But here's a preview: you're incredibly wrong.

EDIT: And I can't think of one successful example of your first paragraph in modern times, outside of an authoritarian context, which when let up for one instant, completely collapses.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The only successful regime changes that were successful that one might reasonably argue were us-led were maybe west Germany (I don't think it counts since it's not like the republic system was alien to them) and Japan, and in both cases those nations were already industrialized - even if their infrastructure was hosed, their populations were at least familiar with industrialization.

I think Japan got a kickin' rad deal out of it all things considered. They save tons of cash by not having offensive forces and the U.S. taxpayer covers the bulk of their anti-China needs. What's a nuke or two when you get that? :v:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

That screenshot I posted came from a tweet entitled "Reminder: this is the response to the question 'how will Hillary overcome this scandal'"

You should have given Joementum credit for his tweet

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

gradenko_2000 posted:

103 Billion and change adjusted for inflation but keep in mind the view of the US post-WWII was far more positive than Iraq/Afghanistan for a lot of reasons but mainly the fact that we were helping in pushing a foreign invader out of their country rather than invading to topple their government.

http://www.stripes.com/news/afghanistan-to-cost-more-than-marshall-plan-watchdog-says-1.295907

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

JT Jag posted:

Amazing at blowing tanks up in a desert. Not so amazing at securing things like...large stores of 155mm artillery shells that could conceivably be used to construct IEDs for the next ten years.

Every time I see one of those war port videos I think of Rumsfeld saying "democracy is messy"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, "Listen, we elected Warren G. Harding." ~ Roger Ailes, on Ted Cruz's chances of becoming President.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Xibanya posted:

The only successful regime changes that were successful that one might reasonably argue were us-led were maybe west Germany (I don't think it counts since it's not like the republic system was alien to them) and Japan, and in both cases those nations were already industrialized - even if their infrastructure was hosed, their populations were at least familiar with industrialization.

I think Japan got a kickin' rad deal out of it all things considered. They save tons of cash by not having offensive forces and the U.S. taxpayer covers the bulk of their anti-China needs. What's a nuke or two when you get that? :v:

Grenada I guess, but that was just restoring a parliamentary democracy momentarily overthrown by a coup. Its not about individual actors (Bremer is straining this, though). But its about institutitions, or the lack of them. There's some interesting literature on post colonist societies run along Common/Civil law lines (and English run colonies v. other European nations). The main difference being how much infrastructure and other goods were left behind.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Likewise, I'm not really convinced that Iraq was "unwinnable" at the start (although everything about the idea was generally stupid, don't get me wrong). A lot of the terrible results came about since the Bush Admin. was generally awful at actually carrying out an occupation, from the "hailed as liberators" sentiment, appointing the living turd in human form, Paul Bremer, to manage Iraq, and otherwise doing basically nothing to prevent the establishment of an insurgency.

This may not be a very popular opinion.

Uhhh let's consult wikipedia because cold war regime changes aren't a thing I personally know a lot about, I'm a bit familiar with the resulting genocides and mass murders though.

Syria 1949: Overthrown after 4.5 months.
Iran 1953: Duh.
Guatemala 1954: Genocide, 200,000 dead.
Tibet 1955: Armed the anti-communist insurgency, Didn't End Well.
Indonesia: 1958: Anti communist rebels armed and funded by CIA. Within 10 years began a genocide, 1,000,000 dead
Cuba: Bay of Pigs et al.
Iraq 1960: Iraq didn't turn out too great.
DRCongo 1960: Mobutu Sese Seko took power with large amounts of western aid. DRCongo didn't turn out too well.
Vietnam: Duh

Could keep going but like drat dude at least google it

Edit it's pretty trashy to try and hand wave Vietnam as if it doesn't matter

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 20, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

sugar free jazz posted:

Uhhh let's consult wikipedia because cold war regime changes aren't a thing I personally know a lot about, I'm a bit familiar with the resulting genocides and mass murders though.

Syria 1949: Overthrown after 4.5 months.
Iran 1953: Duh.
Guatemala 1954: Genocide, 200,000 dead.
Tibet 1955: Armed the anti-communist insurgency, Didn't End Well.
Indonesia: 1958: Anti communist rebels armed and funded by CIA. Within 10 years began a genocide, 1,000,000 dead
Cuba: Bay of Pigs et al.
Iraq 1960: Iraq didn't turn out too great.
DRCongo 1960: Mobutu Sese Seko took power with large amounts of western aid. DRCongo didn't turn out too well.
Vietnam: Duh

Could keep going but like drat dude at least google it

Noriega has a pretty swank cell now so it didn't all end badly.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Zwabu posted:

I tuned out for a week or so and I'm confused about what the Chipotle thing is about. Is it just that she went to Chipotle instead of whatever other fast food joint is considered the most American now by the GOP?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shifty Pony posted:

I tuned out for a week or so and I'm confused about what the Chipotle thing is about. Is it just that she went to Chipotle instead of whatever other fast food joint is considered the most American now by the GOP?

Yup.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought it was that she didn't tip.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No one knows what the Chipotle thing was about. That is why it is so great.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

We only learned that on Day 3 of Chipotlequiddick.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Shifty Pony posted:

She did it to appeal to Latino's (source: Whichever right wing talk person made that up first). Also, she didn't tip.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Chipotlequiddick.

Oooh nice.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

withak posted:

It was about which presidential candidate tips the most and why that makes them a good future US head of state.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

withak posted:

Hillary's Iraq.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

We've had, variously:

-She made the Chipotle leak the security video so America could see what a (fake) populist person she is, pretending to be one of them stopping at a fast food joint! A veritable Potemkin Burrito, if you will! Facade! Lies! ARRRRGH

-She didn't tip (cue Mr. Pink dialogue about which fast food joints society deems tip worthy), causing at least two of the GOP pack (Jeb and maybe Cruz? Or Rand and Cruz? Rubio?) to snark out about how THEY went to Chipotle just this week and each tipped like a hundred bucks

-Another opportunity to snark out about HRC not driving her own car (Jeb).

-It's her cynical ploy at Hispanic outreach (even though Chipotle seems about as "Mexican" as Taco Bell to me) - Fox News

So in other words, nothing coherent, just white hot rage ball stuff. And we have over a year to go of this. :allears:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zwabu posted:

-She didn't tip (cue Mr. Pink dialogue about which fast food joints society deems tip worthy), causing at least two of the GOP pack (Jeb and maybe Cruz? Or Rand and Cruz? Rubio?) to snark out about how THEY went to Chipotle just this week and each tipped like a hundred bucks

Rubio and Pataki went to Chipotle last week. Rubio gave the cashier the thumbs up. Pataki tipped $5 and shook hands with everyone in the restaurant.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Well if they had given more chicken instead of shaking the spoon after scooping to dislodge some maybe they would have gotten a tip :colbert:

withak posted:

The more I try to find out what is going on the less sense if makes. It appears to be somehow even worse than Obama getting the "wrong" mustard on his hamburger. I'm even seeing a mix of "ugh blatant photo op" and other outlets saying she made a mistake by not turning it into a shake hands with everyone photo-op

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Shifty Pony posted:

The more I try to find out what is going on the less sense if makes. It appears to be somehow even worse than Obama getting the "wrong" mustard on his hamburger. I'm even seeing a mix of "ugh blatant photo op" and other outlets saying she made a mistake by not turning it into a shake hands with everyone photo-op

Here's a full run-down of everything we know about Chipotlequiddick, or Beanghazi, if you prefer.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Clinton

Hillary

Is

Probably

Obama

Trying to

Lure

Everyday Americans.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Listen, we elected Warren G. Harding." ~ Roger Ailes, on Ted Cruz's chances of becoming President.

That isn't very flattering towards Sen. Cruz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Hillary Clinton has been a major political figure for over two decades. Can they seriously not find anything more damning than a burrito purchase?

• Locked thread