Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Toady posted:

The antisocial behavior of the raptors drives the novel's symbolism. Malcolm talks about how humanity evolves through ideas rather than adaptive bodies, and he derides mass media societies for repeating what they're told and extinguishing intellectual diversity, causing an evolutionary cul-de-sac that dooms civilization to self-destructive behaviors. Harding tells Kelly that most of the things told to her in life will be exaggerated and wrong. Thorne notes: "These kids were smart, they were enthusiastic, and they were young enough so that the schools hadn’t destroyed all their interest in learning. They could still actually use their brains, which in Thorne’s view was a sure sign they hadn’t yet completed a formal education."

"Brains" is a key word, as Isla Sorna's ecosystem has an unexplained overabundance of predators, but the mystery is revealed in the final pages: the animals are infected with prions that were inadvertently introduced by InGen, causing a degenerative brain disease. The prions are excreted in feces, which the scavengers ingest and spread to the predators who spread it to prey, causing early die-off. With no naturally taught mature raptors around to teach new raptors proper behavior, the raptors wildly attack everything, including each other.

I loved the books as a kid (well, actually I thought TLW was lame even at the time), but Crichton was such a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The only "aura" surrounding T. rex is a kind of nostalgia for the good old days of "feudal" capitalism, when companies were identified with individual "giants" (like Spielberg himself) who were capable of great evil and great good. The raptors, by contrast, represent the new stage of postmodern capitalism, of "downsizing," flexibility, rapid strike forces, teamwork, adaptability, steep learning curves, and (not incidentally) gender confusion. From the opening scene of Jurassic Park, the raptors are presented as "clever girls" who are "figuring things out" and hatching plots (along with unauthorized eggs) to prepare for their eventual takeover. The male hysteria and anxiety about impotence that shadow [Bringing Up Baby] are on full display in Jurassic Park.
-WJT Mitchell, "The Last Dinosaur Book"

Contemporary, postmodern dinosaurs are multicolored, striped, spotted, and festooned with gay plumage, as befits an age of multiculturalism and sexual multiplicity. The modern (1900-1960) dinosaur was a uniform, monotonous gray-green color that served to unite perfectly the savage, organic, reptilian skin and the modern armored military vehicle. The lean, mean fighting machine had to be green because war is a state of nature, and camouflage is a natural adaptation.

Marxists don't believe in dinosaurs.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

They are in the dustbin of history.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The only "aura" surrounding T. rex is a kind of nostalgia for the good old days of "feudal" capitalism, when companies were identified with individual "giants" (like Spielberg himself) who were capable of great evil and great good. The raptors, by contrast, represent the new stage of postmodern capitalism, of "downsizing," flexibility, rapid strike forces, teamwork, adaptability, steep learning curves, and (not incidentally) gender confusion. From the opening scene of Jurassic Park, the raptors are presented as "clever girls" who are "figuring things out" and hatching plots (along with unauthorized eggs) to prepare for their eventual takeover. The male hysteria and anxiety about impotence that shadow [Bringing Up Baby] are on full display in Jurassic Park.

Contemporary, postmodern dinosaurs are multicolored, striped, spotted, and festooned with gay plumage, as befits an age of multiculturalism and sexual multiplicity. The modern (1900-1960) dinosaur was a uniform, monotonous gray-green color that served to unite perfectly the savage, organic, reptilian skin and the modern armored military vehicle. The lean, mean fighting machine had to be green because war is a state of nature, and camouflage is a natural adaptation.

yeah that's cool and all but i just liked the t-rex because it was big and badass. and i liked the raptors because they were quick and pretty freaky.

people really think way too into stuff.

there's a scene in entourage with James Cameron that pretty much sums up my feelings about reading way too into things. I can't find it on youtube but this is the quote:

Counter Girl: Was the sinking of the ship an attempt to foreshadow the forthcoming sinking of the tech market of 2000?
James Cameron: Uh, no. Actually, I just wanted to make young girls cry.

Unfortunately people will read too into that and see it as him having a vendetta out against women or something. Sometimes a shoe is just a shoe.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Uh, you realise that was James Cameron playing a fictional version of himself, right? Patrick Stewart also doesn't want to make every woman's clothes fall off (probably).

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Party Boat posted:

Uh, you realise that was James Cameron playing a fictional version of himself, right? Patrick Stewart also doesn't want to make every woman's clothes fall off (probably).

Sorry let me edit my post to reflect your post

Cole posted:

yeah that's cool and all but i just liked the t-rex because it was big and badass. and i liked the raptors because they were quick and pretty freaky.

people really think way too into stuff.

there's a scene in entourage with James Cameron that pretty much sums up my feelings about reading way too into things. I can't find it on youtube but this is the quote:

Counter Girl: Was the sinking of the ship an attempt to foreshadow the forthcoming sinking of the tech market of 2000?
James Cameron: Uh, no. Actually, I just wanted to make young girls cry.

Unfortunately people will read too into that and see it as him having a vendetta out against women or something. Sometimes a shoe is just a shoe.

:siren: this is exactly how james cameron is in real life, so gloss over the point i am making completely :siren:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It's just a throwaway joke, I think you're reading too much into it.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Party Boat posted:

It's just a throwaway joke, I think you're reading too much into it.

sorry. continue to gloss over the point for them sick burns.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cole posted:

sorry. continue to gloss over the point for them sick burns.

What exactly is your point? Reading too much into stuff is silly? Maybe it is sometimes, but dude, it's kinda fun.

Give it a whirl, you might surprise yourself.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What exactly is your point? Reading too much into stuff is silly? Maybe it is sometimes, but dude, it's kinda fun.

Give it a whirl, you might surprise yourself.

no, comparing the "aura" of a t-rex to feudal capitalism is actually kind of stupid and anyone who takes it seriously is probably stupid. and arguing about the feathers or lackthereof being homophobic is pretty stupid too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Cole posted:

no, comparing the "aura" of a t-rex to feudal capitalism is actually kind of stupid and anyone who takes it seriously is probably stupid. and arguing about the feathers or lackthereof being homophobic is pretty stupid too.

the aura of this post.......... is bad !!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

It's okay to think about films, Cole. Fictional James Cameron won't laugh at you.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Real James Cameron on the other hand... that guy's a jerk.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

James Cameron's Aquaman would be a better film than Jurassic World.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

New trailer at 11am EST

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cole posted:

The emperors of film criticism don't like to be told that sometimes they're cloaked in nothing but hot air and pompous swaggers :ssh:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
New trailer is up, well, doesn't really change much from what I expected or the rumors but at least it looks like the security team is competent rather than the usual case of all training and discipline going out the window when the movie monster shows up.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've actually really been into the posters so far. I guess I've just been trained to expect floating heads and overly-Photoshopped images of people looking over their shoulders dramatically, so seeing any actual effort in a poster is impressive to me these days. Despite some of the quality of the work, they're at least interesting.

Trailer Talk: looks like an overstuffed mess, but at least it finally looks like a scary overstuffed mess. That was actually darker than I thought it was going to be, and I like that. That's a big thing that was missing for the third film, and even the second to a degree - they just weren't scary, and the first was terrifying.

e: Link to the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJJrkyHas78

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 20, 2015

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
New trailer is kinda lame :\

Does anyone still hold to the theory that Chris Pratt's character is a grown-up Tim Murphy? I want it to be true so much :unsmith:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Uhhhhh did that trailer show the new dinosaur was loving ordering the pterodactyls to go abduct people like they were his minions? Cause it sure looked that way.'

Also they are absolutely going out of their way to not show the T-Rex in the trailers. I thought the trailer was awesome as hell, and the dinosaurs looked great, I don't care what you guys say. The shot of the CG raptors running through the jungle looked real good IMO.

Also I remember some people in this thread were hoping the Ankylosauruses would treat that ball vehicle like a bat and ball and the trailer showed that absolutely happening

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Cole posted:

The way people conceptualize things that don't exist in material reality are reflective of the values of the times in which they are conceived. You keep accusing others of missing your point, but you don't actually understand the arguments being made, which is why you resort to myopic arguments about your own anecdotal perspective and a strawman argument you've abstracted from a T.V. show.

Nobody cares about your unexamined self-assurance that you know exactly how you feel about creatures that you have never, in point of fact, seen in reality. They are arguing about the ideological implications of the ambiguous relationship between the scientific process and mediated representations of that which no longer exists for the purposes of both education and, more importantly, popular entertainment. This is extremely apt when discussing movies that are about how dinosaurs (that now no longer necessarily jive with contemporary scientific research) are revived to be used as theme park attractions.

It's telling that, as summary of your position, you use the above mentioned strawman T.V. show anecdote; and not only this, but that you have also failed to read the scene properly. "Counter Girl" is not a real person. She was deliberately conceptualized to represent the prevailing cultural archetype of someone who "reads too much into things" for the purposes of humor. Counter Girl is not, in fact, capable of defending her position with evidence, or able to explain her ideological position, because this is not the purpose of the scene. Furthermore, James Cameron - like many celebrities appearing on the show - is not playing himself, but an exaggerated, fictional version of himself that is obnoxious and unreceptive, again, for the purposes of humor. The scene is not depicting an actual debate in any way, shape, or form. It's depicting the intractable opposition between between someone who is deeply engaged with a film she loves and the anti-intellectual disposition of its creator. This scene could just as easily be re-staged for the purposes of tragic drama, sympathetic to "Counter Girl," which is basically what happens in The Fault In Our Stars. But the point is that neither scene is about the loving Titanic. It's about how James Cameron is a cynical rear end in a top hat.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This looks insane and in a good way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJJrkyHas78

Raptor squad gonna come gently caress you up!!

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Macaluso posted:

Uhhhhh did that trailer show the new dinosaur was loving ordering the pterodactyls to go abduct people like they were his minions? Cause it sure looked that way.'

I think she was just spooking them to fly out of their enclosure to go gently caress poo poo up. Your interpretation, though it does come after a suspicious line, is just way too crazy. I bet the dude was talking about the raptors or something.

Also calling it now: the I-rex is a fuckin chameleon dinosaur (like from the Lost World book) - only way the blood dripping/sneaking up scene makes sense, or how it could avoid helicopters with gattling guns

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

That trailer was everything I have wanted for the past 14 years.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Actually, dinosaurs as they exist in the public's imagination is pretty hard linked to capitalism. The great capitalists of the Gilded Age were the ones who funded the paleontological expeditions and built the museums to house their bones for the public to see (a clear parallel with one John Hammond, by the way). They used dinosaurs as the mascots of their oil companies. The giant powerful creatures were seen as the top of the food chain, Darwinian success stories in an age of social Darwinism.

Of course, public perception of dinosaurs changed when Jurassic Park came out. No longer are dinosaurs these big, lumbering, powerful monsters, but these small, quick, adaptable, and intelligent digital creatures. Remember that scene where the computer screens project DNA code on the raptors? It looks like computer code. The velociraptor is the Steve Jobs to the T. Rex of Carnegie and Rockefeller.

What dinosaurs really are is two distinct clades of extinct animals, one of which eventually evolved into what we consider modern-day birds to the point that at least the theropod dinosaurs aren't even considered distinct from birds. And even then we put inordinate amounts of time and attention towards this particular class of extinct species. We devote classroom time to them, large museum exhibits, it's newsworthy when a new species is found. No one cares about Cambrian life, pre-Mesozoic reptiles (the ones we humans are actually related to) or most of the extinct species from the last 60 million years, and the reason for this is inextricably linked to prevailing ideology. Dinosaurs big and cool like the magnanimous capitalist who spent the money to find and display them for you the public.

Seriously, The Last Dinosaur Book is a great book and everyone who has a love of dinosaurs should read it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That trailer confirmed every fear I ever had about the movie, looks loving stupid as hell.

My interest is pretty much lost. :(

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
That trailer confirmed every fear I ever had about the movie, looks loving stupid as hell.

My interest is through the roof. :allears:

Tim Whatley posted:

That trailer was everything I have wanted for the past 14 years.

Your avatar is how I feel right now.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This movie looks hilarious.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are we going to get a full on dinosaur civil war? That's the main thing that occurs to me watching the trailer. If we get THAT I'd be all for it. UPSTARTS VS THE KINGS OF THE ISLAND! I-Rex barking orders, T-Rex slaughtering the unworthy!

Also I swear to God if the Irex kills the original T-Rex, gently caress this movie.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Deakul posted:

My interest is pretty much lost. :(

I don't get some of you people

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Looks like they are taking the Aliens route with this one. We've got badass soldiers with guns and rocket launchers and high tech trackers and *looks at computer screen with names and heart rate/vital sign monitors* Joe is now Dino lunch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Macaluso posted:

This movie looks very silly. Many people wanted it to look very serious.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Macaluso posted:

Sorry, I'm not 12 anymore so I demand a little more from my dinosaur movies. :colbert:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Deakul posted:

Sorry, I'm not 12 anymore so I demand a little more from my dinosaur movies. :colbert:

You are making us the ones who are sorry.

No see you don't get it they aren't technically dinosa

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Did you guys manage to miss the guy shooting an AT4 at a dinosaur?

This is going to be awesome.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Just Offscreen posted:

No see you don't get it they aren't technically dinosa

My bad. You are absolutely right.

They're xenomorphs.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Also, I'm still immensely disappointed that they didn't make them feathered.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Deakul posted:

Weren't you going crazy about superhero movies in the comics thread? What separates Jurassic World from those?

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
This movie, like the original Jurassic Park, is designed to be awesome for 12 year olds and I think it will succeed at that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

The feathers are in our minds.

Just like Birdman.

• Locked thread