Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Moon Slayer posted:

It's not peak scooter until the guy is wearing a construction hard hat instead of a proper helmet and also has a propane tank strapped to the back.

Thankfully all of the propane-laden scooters I've seen driven around here have been piloted by drivers who have the courtesy of not smoking while driving. Haven't seen the hard hat, yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

Thankfully all of the propane-laden scooters I've seen driven around here have been piloted by drivers who have the courtesy of not smoking while driving. Haven't seen the hard hat, yet.

Have you seen one dragging propane tanks that occasionally spark on the road?

Also something on the news about mrt construction in Taichung loving up and dropped a 200 ton piece on some cars

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

duckfarts posted:

Have you seen one dragging propane tanks that occasionally spark on the road?

Also something on the news about mrt construction in Taichung loving up and dropped a 200 ton piece on some cars

No, but I have seen one that was dangling off the back of a motorbike rubbing against the rear wheel.

Also, that sucks about the Taichung MRT. Just seems to be one thing after another for people to hate about it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

YF19pilot posted:

Also, did one of you assholes move down here to Chiayi without saying anything? Just saw a guy at FamilyMart that could've been Fat Bastard's body double, and was possibly the most goony looking expat I've seen yet.

looool

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I'm thinking of saving up and buying a proper motorcycle. Anybody have any opinions on specific models? There's a guy selling a 2002 SYM Wolf 125 on the cheap, and I'm curious if it's any good.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

YF19pilot posted:

I'm thinking of saving up and buying a proper motorcycle. Anybody have any opinions on specific models? There's a guy selling a 2002 SYM Wolf 125 on the cheap, and I'm curious if it's any good.

Gotta ride it to know, 125cc is a good target. Also make sure it has papers unless you want to buy a potentially hot scooter.

E: whoops, thought you were talking about buying a scooter

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 12, 2015

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I had a KTR for awhile and it was a pretty reliable street bike. You're going to want at least 150cc since bikes are so much heavier than scooters. 125 just isn't going to cut it. Things to keep in mind: you'll want rain gear including rain pants and boots or shoe covers, parking and getting through traffic are going to be much more difficult, and manual gears in town are a super huge pain in the rear end. I ended up switching over to a scooter just for the convenience since they can weave better, you only need a rain coat, and you can squeeze them onto the line between other parked scooters if you have to. Plus I'm a sissy who prefers automatic.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I had a KTR for awhile and it was a pretty reliable street bike. You're going to want at least 150cc since bikes are so much heavier than scooters. 125 just isn't going to cut it. Things to keep in mind: you'll want rain gear including rain pants and boots or shoe covers, parking and getting through traffic are going to be much more difficult, and manual gears in town are a super huge pain in the rear end. I ended up switching over to a scooter just for the convenience since they can weave better, you only need a rain coat, and you can squeeze them onto the line between other parked scooters if you have to. Plus I'm a sissy who prefers automatic.

Just test drove the bike. I see what you mean about going bigger, apparently the Wolf 125 tops out around 60 or so (owner's words "it starts to shake at 60, but if you hit 70 it stops shaking, but I wouldn't recommend going that fast.") I'm thinking that I would probably hold onto my scooter if I got a motorcycle. I really want the motorcycle in part because I can get such a small bike (125/150) to learn on. I got the balance part down with the scooter, and I'm familiar enough with shifting from riding ATVs/quads, but I haven't put the two together yet.

Also, a motorcycle seems like it'd handle the trip to Alishan or the other longish day trips I seem to take here and again much better than a scooter.

okami
Oct 23, 2014
For long trips look into a Yamaha Majesty, but get the seat cover that's like wire mesh/springy. It's much more comfortable to ride than a motorcycle or scooter. Mine can hit 80 easily and up to 100 if I put my head down.

The downside is you will need a good Yamaha mechanic. Do not ever take a Yamaha Majesty to a regular mechanic. It will end in total fuckwittery and wasted time/money.

They were supposed to be doing the work at night on the Taichung MRT when the accident happened. Oops. This wasn;t quite as good as when a contractor flooded Sanchong due to making a barrier wall too thin.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I'm thinking its time for an upgrade.

I've been teaching on the mainland for the last three years, and I've finally decided to move on to hopefully better -but at least different- things.

I'll hit the usual spots for ESL jobs in Taiwan in this coming week, but I wanted to check here first to see if anyone has any positions they're looking to fill next term.

My current contract ends in July. I've been teaching mostly middle school, but I've dabbled in tutoring at pretty much all levels at this point. I've got a certification and a degree, and I'm a U.S. Citizen and a native speaker, so I think I've got all the basic requirements out of the way.

Anyone have leads/suggestions?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
How's your Chinese? My buxiban is hiring.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies

quadrophrenic posted:

How's your Chinese? My buxiban is hiring.

Shabby.

edit: but in all seriousness, it's pretty basic. I've picked up lots of things here and there, but I mostly just use Chinese for necessities or to check understanding in the classroom.

Minus1Minus1 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 16, 2015

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
Question regarding getting licensed to drive a scooter here vs. in the USA:

I'm heading home for the better part of a month. I want to drive all over my state. I sold my car there, and I'm thinking about buying a scooter, because I don't know any place that would rent one. I want to be mobile while I'm back and frankly, I love long distance travel in and of the country side. It takes longer? OK. Good thing my home state is loving beautiful.

So yeah I'm a naughty 外國人 but I haven't bothered getting a license here yet. I'm sure I'll need one back home. I heard if we move here with valid drivers licenses for cars we can just get them switched over. Does that apply for scooters, too? I'd much rather take a test written by native speakers of my own language without all those tricky morality questions on there. If not, do you reckon a license from here would get me a license back home? Or would that vary from state to state?

Just a note, I'm only looking for advice on scooter licenses in Taiwan and the USA, not looking for advice on how to learn to write Chinese (stroke characters) (lol who ever writes chinese anymore I got technology for that) or how to discretely carry on an affair with my boss's wife without getting caught. Because apparently I have to note that.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

poetrywhore posted:

Question regarding getting licensed to drive a scooter here vs. in the USA:

I'm heading home for the better part of a month. I want to drive all over my state. I sold my car there, and I'm thinking about buying a scooter, because I don't know any place that would rent one. I want to be mobile while I'm back and frankly, I love long distance travel in and of the country side. It takes longer? OK. Good thing my home state is loving beautiful.

So yeah I'm a naughty 外國人 but I haven't bothered getting a license here yet. I'm sure I'll need one back home. I heard if we move here with valid drivers licenses for cars we can just get them switched over. Does that apply for scooters, too? I'd much rather take a test written by native speakers of my own language without all those tricky morality questions on there. If not, do you reckon a license from here would get me a license back home? Or would that vary from state to state?

Just a note, I'm only looking for advice on scooter licenses in Taiwan and the USA, not looking for advice on how to learn to write Chinese (stroke characters) (lol who ever writes chinese anymore I got technology for that) or how to discretely carry on an affair with my boss's wife without getting caught. Because apparently I have to note that.

Valid driver's licenses for cars don't necessarily just switch over; it depends on your state's relations with Taiwan, and usually it means you need an International Permit(from AAA usually) and you get it stamped and you can drive for 6 months or a year until the permit expires. To get a license license, you still need to take the test, though your license will let you skip driving school.

Getting a driver's license here(or using a permit) used to let you drive a 50cc scooter without additional testing/hassle, but I heard talk of them pulling that because just because you can pass a test for a car doesn't mean you can balance a 2-wheel vehicle.

As for whether a scooter license here can translate to a motorcycle license in the US, I'm not sure, chances are it's a state by state thing if they allow it at all.

To be fair, you should just take the tests so that you can work your way up to a 500cc license so you can write your Chinese name in skid marks to woo your boss's wife while on camera so we have another YouTube video about foreigners being bad for that guy to come bitch about.

Disclaimer: some or all of this information may be outdated

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
With regards to Taiwan accepting an American license, it varies from state to state. You're right that some US states' licenses can automatically be converted to a Taiwanese license, but the list of reciprocating states is not that long if I recall correctly. I don't know remember which states off the top of my head (I think it was like 10 of them) but it was available on some Taiwanese government website, I got as far as seeing that my home state wasn't listed and that was the end of that.

Again, it'd also vary from state to state what license you'd need to operate a scooter in America. In my home state it was just a standard driver's license, there was no special scooter license or anything but then again no one outside of the college campuses would be caught dead driving a scooter moped where I am from. To use a Taiwanese license in America I'd think you would need an IDL but seeing as I have (had? it expired) a US driver's license already I never worried about that.

That being said, it really is not that tough to just get a scooter license here, I did it completely by myself when I absolutely understood zero Chinese. The English wasn't even that bad (it was much better than the questions in the practice book they gave me to study) and I'm not sure what you mean by morality questions, there were like three or four that were like "If you see a body bleeding on the side of the road, what should you do? A) Stop and call for help B) run over them repeatedly C) drive away as quickly as possible and pray D) take out your cell phone and snap a few pics" that were so ridiculously obvious that I would say they were the easiest of the lot.

The scooter test will also be getting harder in July I believe. That is also when car licenses will no longer automatically qualify you for 50cc scooters. So the time is now!

edit: kinda beaten by the mighty duckfarts. the 50cc thing is definitely getting pulled, it was in the papers a few weeks ago, along with the new parts of the scooter test which will involve things like having to practice using a turn box for left hand turns.

double-edit: just looked it up, and yeah, July 1 is when the new testing goes into effect. The written exam will have more questions, 50 rather than 40, randomly drawn from a question pool, which also increases to 1606 from 634! The road exam will have four new parts, a "hook turn" into a turn box, changing lanes, "negotiating right-angle turns" (whatever that means) and more intersection work. Take the test before then for maximum easiness! :)

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2015/03/28/2003614601

POCKET CHOMP fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 20, 2015

poetrywhore
Oct 4, 2002
I got told there were a bunch of questions about what the signs mean and how the meanings changed based on shape/color of the sign, etc. When I read over the questions online, it included nonsense like "Why should you follow driving rules? A) Because that's how you keep your license and don't have to pay a fine B) Because it's the right thing to do and C) I don't I'm a rebel rawr" Like obviously my answer is A but am I supposed to pick B? Also I hear the bit where you have to drive slow for seven seconds is tough. Also also I hate tests they make me nervous.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Um obviously your answer should be C, actually!

Your post made me go check out my study book they gave me, which is still on my bookshelf next to a bunch of super outdated travel books and other guidebooks I acquired during my first year in Taiwan.

I just flipped to a random page looking for questions about morality or whatever and this one made me laugh:

As you can see my practice tests had the correct answer on the side, so even if my instinct told me something else, as long as I could remember "they expect an answer like X", I could pass the test without literally memorizing every question. I mean, yeah, I don't know what every sign means but if you know 90% of them just by not being a vegetable, your odds are pretty good when you're only getting a small % of questions on the test. I didn't get 100 on the test or anything, nor did I study beyond flipping through that book once.

And yeah, the English was really quite horrid in this book but when I went to take the test it was much better, so they must have revised it at some point, and this was years ago now. Ah, memories. :allears:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

poetrywhore posted:

I got told there were a bunch of questions about what the signs mean and how the meanings changed based on shape/color of the sign, etc. When I read over the questions online, it included nonsense like "Why should you follow driving rules? A) Because that's how you keep your license and don't have to pay a fine B) Because it's the right thing to do and C) I don't I'm a rebel rawr" Like obviously my answer is A but am I supposed to pick B? Also I hear the bit where you have to drive slow for seven seconds is tough. Also also I hate tests they make me nervous.

Do you have a link to the guide online? I'm thinking of getting a license since my IDP expires in September and I might not make it back to the US to renew. Otherwise, I'm thinking of switching my license back home to Texas, since they apparently have reciprocity with Taiwan, and I have family there. And I can renew online. Not like Ohio, where my license will expire next year and I'm only allowed to renew by mail if I'm active duty military, so I literally have to make a trip back home just to get my license renewed.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Seriously it's so insanely easy to get a scooter license in Taiwan. I can't drive a car and I got one. The questions are not hard at all and if saying you would help somebody out if you saw an accident is morally offensive to you then I think you have bigger issues that Taiwan cannot solve(welcome to join a buxiban though)

I looked into transferring the license too, it varies by state but one issue I remember seeing is that while Taiwan divides into three categories (50 cc, 100-150, and huge) it seems like some places would just have licenses for the 50 cc and huge only. I don't want to drive a Harley :(

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

hitension posted:

. The questions are not hard at all and if saying you would help somebody out if you saw an accident is morally offensive to you then I think you have bigger issues that Taiwan cannot solve(welcome to join a buxiban though)
Congrats on totally not understanding that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

YF19pilot posted:

Do you have a link to the guide online? I'm thinking of getting a license since my IDP expires in September and I might not make it back to the US to renew. Otherwise, I'm thinking of switching my license back home to Texas, since they apparently have reciprocity with Taiwan, and I have family there. And I can renew online. Not like Ohio, where my license will expire next year and I'm only allowed to renew by mail if I'm active duty military, so I literally have to make a trip back home just to get my license renewed.

You could let your US license expire like all the cool kids :radcat:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Yeah my home state usually does renewals by mail but in the time since I left, they added some new "proof of birth" (thanks Obummer?) requirement that means I have to go in person and show my birth certificate at least once before I am eligible to use renewal by mail.

So I can sleep easy knowing that my expired license will cost me $5 per month past its expiration to renew, if I ever do go back to get it renewed. I have already accrued several hundred dollars in potential revenue for my state. I should...probably...go home at some point. Nah.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Yeah my home state usually does renewals by mail but in the time since I left, they added some new "proof of birth" (thanks Obummer?) requirement that means I have to go in person and show my birth certificate at least once before I am eligible to use renewal by mail.

So I can sleep easy knowing that my expired license will cost me $5 per month past its expiration to renew, if I ever do go back to get it renewed. I have already accrued several hundred dollars in potential revenue for my state. I should...probably...go home at some point. Nah.

I was being kind of facetious but jeez what state is that? In my state you can renew within 4 years of the thing expiring online (no mail option even exists) and after that you just have to apply for a new one as if you never had one--which while annoying isn't a 5 buck/month fee.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I timed my first vacation home in two years to be the week before the one-year mark after my licence expired, which in my home state meant I didn't have to take the driving test again. Still had to go in person to the DMV and fill out the paperwork though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Self-quoting due to relevance:

duckfarts posted:

I drove a 50cc for about 3 years and drove that fucker into the ground, and happened upon buying a very lightly used 125cc scooter(standard, nothing sporty but was reasonably current at the time) and still use it now. 50cc scooters are fine for commuting and have enough power to let you zip through traffic and get speeding tickets just fine. I wouldn't take those up a mountain though because at some point you'll be walking it up like the Flintstones. They're tiny and you can pretty much make your own parking spaces by moving scooters around. They're also really light pretty much to the point where you could probably throw one if you wanted; it makes moving it around for parking and such a snap.

I'd still recommend getting a 125 though because they end up being way, way nicer than the 50s without major drawbacks. They're definitely heavier, but they give you a much better ride; 50s can kinda chatter on the road and will hurt your rear end when going over a pothole whereas 125s are a lot smoother and take hits better. Acceleration is far more responsive and is useful for getting out of dangerous situations in traffic; going to a 125 from a 50 they felt really jumpy at first, but you learn to finesse the throttle pretty fast. 50s tend to sag when adding a person, but a 125 will take an extra person and a bunch of poo poo in the foot area no problem. Almost all 50s(last I checked) use 2-stroke engines, which means they will burn oil by default, and over time they transform into one of those scooters and it's kinda embarrassing and terrible at the same time.* Last, it's actually kind of hard to find a used 50cc rather than a used 100/125.

*and yet they can still pass inspections because the mechanic will just crank it so that it burns all the old poo poo out in a huge butt of smoke before it can run cleanerishlike

As for the test, it's like this:
  • The written test should be on computers, can be switched to "English", and you can study the (hilarious)questions beforehand from their website, following in the tradition of "learn things to pass the test rather than how to actually drive"
  • First part of the driving test you have to go over a little bump and then drive straight between two lines slowly. It's something like 2 parking spaces long and maybe a foot wide, and you have to stay in there for at least 7 seconds so you can't buzz through. You have to keep your feet in/on the scooter and can't hang them out at all or you'll fail. You can probably practice this on your own, though that initial bump is what kinda throws a lot of people off.
  • After that, it's pretty much cake. You go around a bend and then stop if the stoplight turns red(yes, you can put your feet down now), and same if some railroad crossing signal is flashing, but generally, you're home free.
  • If you fail any part of the test, you can try again once. If you fail again, you can't try again until at least a week later.

e: oh look what happens when you don't refresh the page, pocket chomp comes in and puts in the same stuff with a loving diagram even gently caress. Also, I passed mine on the first try on what was probably the sketchiest 7 second wobble ever, seeing as I had never driven a 100/125 before and only found out I had to test on one that day. I think there may be a 10NT fee or something for using their bike too, FYI.

duckfarts posted:

Some gems from the written test question set:

Multiple choice
  • If a driver hits a pedestrian, they should (1) do their best to offer firstaid
    if the person is injured. (2) leave the scene of the accident fast. (3)
    just console the injured person with soothing language.
  • Everybody is responsible for traffic safety. Therefore, in addition to
    obeying the traffic rules, when we see a traffic violation or traffic
    accident, we should (1) immediately report it to the police and provide
    assistance if needed. (2) mind our own business and do nothing. (3) not
    report it.
  • Which of the following provides the most important protection to
    motorcyclists? (1) A fancy leather belt. (2) A safety helmet. (3)
    Goggles.
  • If you are in a hurry, (1) you may speed. (2) you don't have to obey the
    traffic rules. (3) you still have to comply with the traffic rules.
  • After an accident occurs, the drivers must (1) not alter anything at the
    scene and immediately notify the police. (2) leave the scene of the
    accident immediately because it's not their business. (3) argue with the
    other people involved in order to shift the responsibility.
True/False
  • Valuing life should be the top priority of the driving ethics. Drivers
    should respect pedestrians and yield to the elderly, children, and the
    disabled at all times.
  • A vehicle flipped over in front of me and I can see injured people crying
    but no one helping. As I'm running late, I can just leave them there.
  • If a driver overtakes me to avoid getting dusty, I should pass them for
    the same reason.
  • When driving at night, you should use the high-beam headlight and
    constantly honk your horn to warn other vehicles get out of your way.
  • Police officers and traffic controllers, who enforce the traffic rules, are
    trouble makers.
  • Although in today's society time is money, we should understand
    speeding often causes tragic accidents and life is valueless.
  • After drinking alcohol, vision, hearing, and judgment become slow and
    impaired. Nevertheless, drinking alcohol is a good way to relax, so it is
    okay to drive a motorcycle after drinking.
  • The true/false section is chock full of this stuff

Not quite fully Taiwan related, but there's an NPR article about a site/service to help Chinese people choose less-terrible English names.
i think morphine was a cool name though

http://bestenglishname.com/ (trigger warning: simplified)

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
http://bestenglishname.com/blog-category/bu-yao-zuo-de-shi

Well, these are all great

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Magna Kaser posted:

I was being kind of facetious but jeez what state is that? In my state you can renew within 4 years of the thing expiring online (no mail option even exists) and after that you just have to apply for a new one as if you never had one--which while annoying isn't a 5 buck/month fee.

It's Hawaii. I'm sure there is probably some upper limit on time where I would just have to take the test again as if I never had a license, but I don't know. To be honest, I intended to go home at some point before it expired, or within one year, or two years, or...it's 2015 now? gently caress.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well, the good (bad?) news is, you'd have had to retake the test and apply for a new one after it had been expired for 1 year, so..

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Are you sure about that? I'm almost certain that was not the case when I checked for Hawaii, specifically because I had a 1-year grace period after the license expired but before the $5/month fee kicked in, so that doesn't make sense.

...Not that this has anything to do with the thread!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Are you sure about that? I'm almost certain that was not the case when I checked for Hawaii, specifically because I had a 1-year grace period after the license expired but before the $5/month fee kicked in, so that doesn't make sense.

...Not that this has anything to do with the thread!

City and County of Honolulu posted:

21. What happens if I let my Hawaii license expire?
After expiration date of your license, you may no longer use your license to drive. However, you have 90 days after expiration date to renew your Hawaii license without penalty. A reactivation fee of $5 per 30 days or fraction thereof will be assessed after the 90 days. Please provide original documents that provide proof of identity, legal presence and social security number. Names must be the same on all documents. If you have a name change and the names on your documents are not the same, you must also submit the original document that verifies your name change. ( Marriage Certificate, Divorce Decree, Naturalization Certificate, Court Documents). If you renew your license one year after the expiration date, a written test and a road test is required.

Stupid quote code adds a " to the end of the URL that keeps it from linking directly to the section of the page.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 21, 2015

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Ah, well it certainly does seem like it has changed, which goes to show how long ago I was checking. Thanks for the heads up, though it doesn't really matter anyways, haha. The chances are much better of me getting a Taiwanese car license plus an international license if I ever need to go back and drive in America rather than me renewing my American license.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
whoa, check this awesome poo poo out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKKDh2LrNI0

Straight-line test is at 4:00 in.

Other videos include car driving tests, complete with VERY detailed descriptions of scoring:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X3tRH1UFls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--ZYkTKyVDM

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

duckfarts posted:

Not quite fully Taiwan related, but there's an NPR article about a site/service to help Chinese people choose less-terrible English names.
i think morphine was a cool name though

http://bestenglishname.com/ (trigger warning: simplified)

ffs

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So right now there's about five satellite TV news vans sitting around the block outside my apartment. Anybody know of anything that's supposed to be happening near Xinyi-Anhe station today?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

So right now there's about five satellite TV news vans sitting around the block outside my apartment. Anybody know of anything that's supposed to be happening near Xinyi-Anhe station today?

To Capture a Laowai.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

Hello Moon Slayer, have a seat.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Maybe they're doing a story on The Most Boring Foreigner in Taiwan and they're waiting to interview me.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I actually had a camera crew from CTI come and film me yesterday in a staged class for some program about international schools compared to the regular chinese system.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 8, 2021

mirror123
Jan 17, 2006
rice barrel
I have a friend that grew up in the US but now wants to move back to Taiwan to be close to her parents. She's spent a few years teaching at public schools in the states and I believe has a degree related to education (from what I can tell that doesn't really matter?). Do you guys think that she should go the cram schools route or look for something different with that background? She's Taiwanese so she won't have the "foreigner" look going for her at cram schools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

mirror123 posted:

I have a friend that grew up in the US but now wants to move back to Taiwan to be close to her parents. She's spent a few years teaching at public schools in the states and I believe has a degree related to education (from what I can tell that doesn't really matter?). Do you guys think that she should go the cram schools route or look for something different with that background? She's Taiwanese so she won't have the "foreigner" look going for her at cram schools.

Just teach at an international school, much better pay and conditions. The only downside is the increased work load and dealing with rich snobby kids