Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Live posting is probably also down with imperfect sync of HBO now to TV in most cases meaning if you keep up with the thread you risk being spoiled by 5-10m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

WetSpink posted:

Live posting is probably also down with imperfect sync of HBO now to TV in most cases meaning if you keep up with the thread you risk being spoiled by 5-10m

You'd think liveposting would be up since there's a worldwide simulcast.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
I'm happy Jon won the Crow popularity contest, but I want Stannis to tell him you're totally allowed to break a sacred oath if it moves the plot somewhere more interesting.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I was certain Pod was going to eat it and make all the womens of Westeros cry. Rest of the episode was a snooze fest. Watching Dinklage in xmen right before the episode started was amusing though on the other channel. I was hoping for him to stab Nixon in the face.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I read the books, but I still teared up a little when Stannis offered Jon everything he ever wanted, to be a Stark. :unsmith:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Knuc U Kinte posted:

That's what happens when you turn your most popular forum into a toilet.

Yeah, I'll never ever get this decision.

"Well, the old GBS was getting a bit stale."

"So let's set it completely on fire!!" :unsmigghh:

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
lol Brienne's a moron.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>

Raenir Salazar posted:

I read the books, but I still teared up a little when Stannis offered Jon everything he ever wanted, to be a Stark. :unsmith:

How does that even work?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Phosphia posted:

How does that even work?
The same way Ramsay Snow became Ramsay Bolton?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Phosphia posted:

How does that even work?

Because Stannis is the One True King of Westeros and is within his power to legitimize Jon. :colbert:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Paperback Writer posted:

Sooo the new season seems like it got an increased budget or something and looks extra pretty but it's been boring as poo poo :(

Isn't this the same way the first two episodes have always been? Except for last season which was the second half of a book.

I'll agree that last night's episode was very bad though. The Sansa/Brienne scene in particular was dreadful writing. Sansa is wanted all over the country for murdering the king. Why is she in a public tavern? Why is Brienne shouting her name out? How stupid is Brienne to talk about killer magic shadows when she's trying to convince Sansa to go with her?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Isn't this the same way the first two episodes have always been? Except for last season which was the second half of a book.

I'll agree that last night's episode was very bad though. The Sansa/Brienne scene in particular was dreadful writing. Sansa is wanted all over the country for murdering the king. Why is she in a public tavern?

I agree that GoT seasons have always been a bit slow to open but I don't really agree with your quibbles about the Sansa/Brienne scene. Sansa is wanted, yes, but she's also in disguise and less uniquely recognizable than, say, Tyrion so Littlefinger was probably right to decide she doesn't have to spend the entire trip in a carriage. Yes, Pod recognizes her through the makeover but as her husband's squire he's seen more of her than pretty much anybody else in that tavern was likely to have.

Granted, it was an absurd coincidence but that's TV for you!

quote:

Why is Brienne shouting her name out? How stupid is Brienne to talk about killer magic shadows when she's trying to convince Sansa to go with her?

Brienne is not exactly a subtle, cunning, or clever person.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sansa asked Littlefinger about the message he received in the first episode, but I couldn't understand his reply. What did he say? Something about a marriage proposal?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I thought Drogon was gonna loving eat her hand or something in a typical GoT fashion murder. But no, he comes back to protect his mom from the hordes of the village. They'll think twice with a dragon screaming above em.

Also happy to see they brought back the cool Jaqen H'ghar and not that imposter who he turned into.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Sand Monster posted:

Sansa asked Littlefinger about the message he received in the first episode, but I couldn't understand his reply. What did he say? Something about a marriage proposal?

"My marriage proposal has been accepted."

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Dallan Invictus posted:

I agree that GoT seasons have always been a bit slow to open but I don't really agree with your quibbles about the Sansa/Brienne scene. Sansa is wanted, yes, but she's also in disguise and less uniquely recognizable than, say, Tyrion so Littlefinger was probably right to decide she doesn't have to spend the entire trip in a carriage. Yes, Pod recognizes her through the makeover but as her husband's squire he's seen more of her than pretty much anybody else in that tavern was likely to have.
Yeah. Sansa is wanted all over a country the size of the South American continent, where the only long distance communications technology is a couple of dozen old guys with glorified carrier pigeons. Anyone who was even looking for her would only have a rough description, and most people aren't going to be looking at all.

It's pure chance that someone was there who could recognise her.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Zwabu posted:

Yeah, I'll never ever get this decision.

"Well, the old GBS was getting a bit stale."

"So let's set it completely on fire!!" :unsmigghh:

The traffic issues predate the GBS changes.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I don't think it's that much of a coincidence that Brienne and Little Finger/ Sansa met in the same tavern. They were both in the same area of the Vale and I bet there aren't that many taverns on the road so it's reasonable that them would end in the same place for lunch.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.
While I liked the first episode quite a bit, this one left me cold, I think the scenes I enjoyed most were the throwaway character development scenes (Sam/Gilly/Shireen, Varys/Tyrion, Dany/Drogon, Jon/Stannis) and thought almost every scene that actually advanced the plot was really clunky. The Jamie/Cersei scene and the Brienne sections in particular were just really clumsy and lacked chemistry. I liked Jamie/Bronn well enough, but both my partner and I were pretty confused throughout Arya's section, like why would he turn her away, then let her in later without any explanation? If he was testing to see what she'd do or if she'd improved at all, it wasn't very well indicated, it just seemed like a flimsy coincidence. It's taking all my willpower to not watch the leaks in the hopes this season picks up soon.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
It does pick up soon.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Kanthulhu posted:

It does pick up soon.

Ha, thanks

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Are we left with only Stannis and Dany now, as for serious contenders?

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Phosphia posted:

Tommen is king. :colbert:

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Ambivalent posted:

Probably not for long.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ambivalent posted:

More like Cersei is king. And she's probably gonna be loving terrible at it.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Tywin was the only intimidating person in their family, their family died with him.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
lmao daenerys is completely retarded

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Phosphia posted:

Balon Greyjoy. No man gives him a crown. He takes a crown.

Kanthulhu posted:

I don't think it's that much of a coincidence that Brienne and Little Finger/ Sansa met in the same tavern. They were both in the same area of the Vale and I bet there aren't that many taverns on the road so it's reasonable that them would end in the same place for lunch.

In that case, Littlefinger is an even bigger fool for bringing her there then. Why take that unnecessary risk? The way I see it it's either a uncharacteristically dumb thing for Littlefinger to do or it's an absurd unrealistic coincidence.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 20, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how Jon keeps mouthing to people 'no don't gently caress this up for me shut up don't suggest me for power gently caress' and it keeps happening.

Junkfist posted:

lol Brienne's a moron.

It seems like she could have had an in if she mentioned Arya.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 20, 2015

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

RBA Starblade posted:

That may be what she wanted to tell Sansa in private, but I give her enough credit to not want to say anything about Arya in front of Littlefinger. As far as Brienne knows, the only other person who knows Arya is alive is the world's leading expert in wolf-shaped-pastries.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

RBA Starblade posted:

"Hey your sister's alive by the way.

When'd I last see her?

Oh, she ran away from me while I was busy killing the guy looking after her.

Also I ate her wolf bread."

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Super Ninja Fish posted:

In that case, Littlefinger is an even bigger fool for bringing her there then. Why take that unnecessary risk? The way I see it it's either a uncharacteristically dumb thing for Littlefinger to do or it's an absurd unrealistic coincidence.
He doesn't have any idea Brienne is looking for her (why would she be?), or that anyone who could recognise Sansa would be in the Vale (why would they be?). He only vaguely knows who Brienne even is.

You seem to be forgetting you're benefiting from a god's eye view of events. None of the characters in the show have that luxury, sometimes they're not going to know the things you do.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 20, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, it's a lot easier to remain anonymous in a world before photography or mass communication. In the same episode you had a pair of dumbasses killing dwarves because even one of the most prominent men from one of the most prominent families in the land is unrecognizable to common folk.

The first lesson Arya will learn in the House of Black and White is "If you need to blend in just keep running until you're in a different town"

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Also Littlefinger is in territory much friendlier to Starks than Lannisters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like Dany seems to be aware that she's going batshit insane but is powerless to stop it. I don't know if it's deliberate or just Emilia Clarke's reactions, though. It would be interesting to watch everything she does end up looking insane and terrible while being unable to stop herself.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I liked this episode (I like all the episodes, though).

For some reason I found Bronn going "Jaime fookin' Lannister!" the funniest thing.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

precision posted:

I like Dany seems to be aware that she's going batshit insane but is powerless to stop it. I don't know if it's deliberate or just Emilia Clarke's reactions, though. It would be interesting to watch everything she does end up looking insane and terrible while being unable to stop herself.

Insane is really harsh. She's just in a terrible situation.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Insane is really harsh. She's just in a terrible situation.

Dont the Targaeryns have a history of insanity though? From inbreeding to protect the purity of their dragon blood sex magic?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mortabis posted:

The traffic issues predate the GBS changes.

Its downfall was caused by splitting GBS into 300 sub forums. Thats when SA lost me and I moved on to neogaf.

Fast forward 5 years and I got perma'd a couple times over there so I picked up my ball and came back to SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

tooterfish posted:

He doesn't have any idea Brienne is looking for her (why would she be?), or that anyone who could recognise Sansa would be in the Vale (why would they be?). He only vaguely knows who Brienne even is.

People would be looking for her because she's accused of regicide. Why would they be looking for her in the Vale? The same reason Brienne went looking for her there. Because that's where her only living (at the time) relative not being held prisoner stayed. That's the most obvious place for her to go. The only place that really makes sense.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, it's a lot easier to remain anonymous in a world before photography or mass communication. In the same episode you had a pair of dumbasses killing dwarves because even one of the most prominent men from one of the most prominent families in the land is unrecognizable to common folk.

The first lesson Arya will learn in the House of Black and White is "If you need to blend in just keep running until you're in a different town"

That works until you meet someone who recognizes you like the Hound.

• Locked thread