Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjewtsu posted:

It's intentional. This is also how production works, and that is also intentional
It's one of those serious ??? questions for me. For hammers I can kind of understand it (though having the excess carry over into 50% gold would be fine), but I legit cannot think of any good reasons for the Research one. In the Good Old Days spare research at least turned itself into mana for you.

Rascyc posted:

Gold's a pretty big problem though with necros though, no doubt. I can barely sustain 2-3 cities pumping units for most of my game. Playing evil gets everyone to declare war on you too, it's nuts.
Plunder cities, get paid. Then raise the city and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k

ninjewtsu posted:

It's intentional. This is also how production works, and that is also intentional

Wait, aren't humans a bit hamstrung by this, or is it required to keep them in check? Half of their new racial bonuses revolve around boosting production.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

More production is still great, even if it doesn't carry over. Being able to build something in 2 turns instead of 1 is a big deal.

Production is a very powerful resource. Being limited to a max of 1 thing per turn doesn't change that. That's still pretty good, and being able to hit that max more often is a big advantage

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ninjewtsu posted:

More production is still great, even if it doesn't carry over. Being able to build something in 2 turns instead of 1 is a big deal.

Production is a very powerful resource. Being limited to a max of 1 thing per turn doesn't change that. That's still pretty good, and being able to hit that max more often is a big advantage
Yeah, but it's unintuitive and leads to weird optimisation strategies. Production/Research overflows returning 50% gold/mana seems like a fair compromise.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
From what I understand, the starting army is bought by the AI with a budget and necromancers get 30% more in that budget.

Would it be possible to make it so the AI doesn't buy me 4 crossbowman and a pike for my necromancer starting army as a dwarf?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

OneTrueBru posted:

Wait, aren't humans a bit hamstrung by this, or is it required to keep them in check? Half of their new racial bonuses revolve around boosting production.

Humans are very good and popular in multiplayer. The production bonuses they get are hugely helpful, being strong on water actually means something now, and most of their units are really good, especially the new Mounted Archer and Evangelists variations they got.

Of course, all of the races are strong now. Some of them are trickier to play but I can't think of a single race I'd point to as being weak anymore.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I almost always see Scales of Fortune turn up in the research book early, but pretty much never the corresponding Keeper or Shadowborn spells. Starting to wonder if something's hosed up with those specializations or if I'm just lucky with Grey Guard.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Unicorns! :argh:

Joking aside, Thats my first in god alone knows how long. Also in this Grey Guard necromancer game I just realised two of my ghoul'd heroes dont have ranged weapons. Always check your new heroes after you enroll them into the friends forever club!

Seriously, ive had the two of them for at least 10 turns, You'd think I'd have seen that sooner. :v:

Captain Oblivious posted:

I almost always see Scales of Fortune turn up in the research book early, but pretty much never the corresponding Keeper or Shadowborn spells. Starting to wonder if something's hosed up with those specializations or if I'm just lucky with Grey Guard.

Just RNG my friend.

Also to any goons who's not done it yet, play a game as a Grey guard already. You end up the most hilarious kind of insane bureaucrat, its amazing. :allears:

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate
Another advantage to GG: if you get the Dedicated research done early because of looting, you won't have your leader mad at you for not being good/evil enough for himself!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The 'end turn' button is NOT the 'cast spell' button.

:negative:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Hahaha, I'm glad I'm not the only one. :allears:

Also missing mana crystals on snow. That's another one I'm sure I'm not the only one who suffers from.

Kirinith
Oct 21, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Just RNG my friend.

Not quite; for whatever reason, the Keeper alignment spell is a tier IV while the Shadowborn and Guard spells are tier II, meaning it generally shows up later than they do.

Also, been toying around with Shadowborn Mastery on my High Elf Warlord and ha ha Rite of Malediction is amazing. I put together a list of Dark Powers I've rolled, and they're all fantastic for pretty much any unit:

Blood Boon (+2 Physical Melee)
Fire Aura / Frost Aura / Fearsome
Slip Away / Shadow Step
Greater Webbing Touch
Weakening Breath
Assassin's Strike
Tireless / Defender
Life Drain / Energy Drain
Doom Gaze / Call Lightning
Dominate / Raise Corpse
Regrowth
Haste

The spell seems to be smart enough to not give duplicate abilities, and unlike Spontaneous Mutation can be cast multiple times for even more Dark Powers. Overkill, but hilarious!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Yeah I really need to try a shadowborn warlord sometime. :allears:

Strange question for you anyone, are you caught trespassing if you enter a domain under concealment and don't loose that concealment at any time? I assume you are.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 20, 2015

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Thyrork posted:

... of my ghoul'd heroes...

:stare:
I did NOT know that was a possibility. When I though my campaign map 3 lvl 20 Necromancer guy had peaked in bullshit prowess.

Kirinith
Oct 21, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Strange question for you, are you caught trespassing if you enter a domain under concealment and don't loose that concealment at any time? I assume you are.

I believe so; I know I've sent stealthed scouts into domains before and gotten warnings about it, even when I was sure they weren't spotted. Pretty sure it also still gives Enemy in Domain penalties too, so you could annoy someone that way :v:.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Kirinith posted:

Not quite; for whatever reason, the Keeper alignment spell is a tier IV while the Shadowborn and Guard spells are tier II, meaning it generally shows up later than they do.

Yeah, I found that today. Will be fixed in the next patch!

Thyrork posted:

Strange question for you anyone, are you caught trespassing if you enter a domain under concealment and don't loose that concealment at any time? I assume you are.

You shouldn't get trespass penalties unless you're seen, at least as far as I know.

Fintilgin posted:

:negative:

You might have figured this out already, but the game saves at the moment you hit end turn, so if you load the last autosave you'll go back to just before you pressed the button.

Kirinith posted:

The spell seems to be smart enough to not give duplicate abilities, and unlike Spontaneous Mutation can be cast multiple times for even more Dark Powers. Overkill, but hilarious!

:doh:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

With Theocrats are you meant to rush for units with convert/level up your hero?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Geokinesis posted:

Basically yeah, the Theocrat works like the Necromancer where you're trying to snowball a huge army via conversion

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Is the Eternal Lords soundtrack available on soundcloud or anywhere? I'm really diggin the new tracks.

Thyrork posted:

Yeah I really need to try a shadowborn warlord sometime. :allears:

You don't get a penalty if you aren't spotted, but the AI is constantly shuffling units through its domain, and all support units have True Seeing, so it's pretty easy to be spotted by chance.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Basically yeah, the Theocrat works like the Necromancer where you're trying to snowball a huge army via conversion

Oops.
I've just killed/vassalised most of the independent enemies now, I guess I'll have to steal from my enemies.

Looking at the item forge what is the difference between: Seduce/Dominate/Charm/etc

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Geokinesis posted:

Oops.
I've just killed/vassalised most of the independent enemies now, I guess I'll have to steal from my enemies.

Looking at the item forge what is the difference between: Seduce/Dominate/Charm/etc

They have different strengths and some weird overlaps/exclusions. For instance, Conversion does not work on Animals but Seduce does (yeah...). Dominate does damage on a save while the others lower movepoints.

Usually I find Seduce and Dominate have the most utility, but Seduce is cheaper and slightly less likely to succeed I think. Convert is flat out the worst though of the general conversion skills.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Once I was playing a male Orc Sorcerer with the shirtless costume variant named Sick Abs, Seriously. He found a very early seduction item and I sent him on an odyssey across the planet to see what sort of exotic people and monsters he could tame with the power of his sick washboard abdomen.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Above the gigantic mouth is an eye as big as a shield that stares at you with pure hate

Zore posted:

They have different strengths and some weird overlaps/exclusions. For instance, Conversion does not work on Animals but Seduce does (yeah...). Dominate does damage on a save while the others lower movepoints.

Usually I find Seduce and Dominate have the most utility, but Seduce is cheaper and slightly less likely to succeed I think. Convert is flat out the worst though of the general conversion skills.

The advantage of convert is how early you can get it, I think

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Kajeesus posted:

Is the Eternal Lords soundtrack available on soundcloud or anywhere? I'm really diggin the new tracks.

You don't get a penalty if you aren't spotted, but the AI is constantly shuffling units through its domain, and all support units have True Seeing, so it's pretty easy to be spotted by chance.

If you've bought the soundtrack, its in that folder!

Kanos posted:

Once I was playing a male Orc Sorcerer with the shirtless costume variant named Sick Abs, Seriously. He found a very early seduction item and I sent him on an odyssey across the planet to see what sort of exotic people and monsters he could tame with the power of his sick washboard abdomen.

Amazing.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Geokinesis posted:

Yah but it's not like a lynchpin to the overall theocrat strategy or anything. That spot is reserved for crusaders and leveling them up and then filling your stacks with whatever best support ranged dps you got. Eventually build trebs because despite having like 50 new ways of dealing with walls in the expansion, theocrats still suck at taking walls!

Maybe Tigran Theocrats are better with walls? hmmmm will try this today I think

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Malachamavet posted:

The advantage of convert is how early you can get it, I think
Also it's ranged. Run up to a town, convert a dude inside the walls.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Splicer posted:

Also it's ranged. Run up to a town, convert a dude inside the walls.
4 hexes is like diet range, only 1 calorie. Maybe it's a little longer but I thought it was 4 or something, whatever 'short' range is.

Now pre-expansion taunt, there was a nightmare of a "beyond the walls" abilities, haha. RIP TAUNT

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Seduce and Dominate also have a three-turn duration, while Conversion is permanent. Conversion is better for attacking other AI players, while the others are better for snagging units from treasure sites.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Yah but it's not like a lynchpin to the overall theocrat strategy or anything. That spot is reserved for crusaders and leveling them up and then filling your stacks with whatever best support ranged dps you got. Eventually build trebs because despite having like 50 new ways of dealing with walls in the expansion, theocrats still suck at taking walls!

Draconian Crusaders have improved Wall Climbing.

Tigran Theocat does let you mass Mystics and have a panther pouncing party, though.

Malachamavet
Jan 12, 2009

Rascyc posted:

That makes me think of Tigran Evangelists getting a pounce/convert combo

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Rascyc posted:

4 hexes is like diet range, only 1 calorie. Maybe it's a little longer but I thought it was 4 or something, whatever 'short' range is.

Now pre-expansion taunt, there was a nightmare of a "beyond the walls" abilities, haha. RIP TAUNT

4 Hexes is enough to be converting things from behind your wall of Crusaders instead of running up to a unit of Shock Troopers and hoping they're on your side when the turn ends, and it makes it a lot harder for the enemy to screen for VIP units compared to something that has to walk up and touch them.

Range is a big deal.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
So, question. Do the Dedicated to Good/Neutral/Evil spells work on Machines? Can Machines benefit from Entwined by Shadows and/or Rites of Malediction?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
So my last archdruid attempt ended with the siege of Isengard.

My elven druid with his human and halfling allies, a dozen horned gods, a few shamans and the endless waves of animals called in by the spell vs the stone walls and machines of an orc dreadnought. It was pretty ridiculous. Managed to win but the kill count was high on both sides.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

So, question. Do the Dedicated to Good/Neutral/Evil spells work on Machines? Can Machines benefit from Entwined by Shadows and/or Rites of Malediction?

No, but I've changed it for the next patch!

Also, my girlfriend wanted to practice HTML and made an AoW3 unit encyclopedia in tumblr:

http://aow3db.tumblr.com

She hasn't gotten round to units from dwellings or specializations yet, but she's gotten the rest. Race abilities are marked in orange, while unique racial variations are marked in purple. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kajeesus posted:

Seduce and Dominate also have a three-turn duration, while Conversion is permanent. Conversion is better for attacking other AI players, while the others are better for snagging units from treasure sites.

Not anymore, the expansions changed them all to permanent and gave them a 1/battle limitation.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Voyager I posted:

4 Hexes is enough to be converting things from behind your wall of Crusaders instead of running up to a unit of Shock Troopers and hoping they're on your side when the turn ends, and it makes it a lot harder for the enemy to screen for VIP units compared to something that has to walk up and touch them.

Range is a big deal.

Won't all the ranged units on the walls just shoot over the crusader heads and kill your poor hero. I could understand a leveled up Evangelist or using a martyr but I guess at that point we are using combos.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Malachamavet posted:

That makes me think of Tigran Evangelists getting a pounce/convert combo

"Hey there, buddy-boy! Can I tell ya about our Lord and Savior Yaka?"

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Triskelli posted:

"Hey there, buddy-boy! Can I tell ya about our Lord and Savior Yaka?"

Between this, Washboard Sorcerer and Halfling Berserkers, I'm convinced AoW3 is a comedy game

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Gerblyn posted:

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I've got some feedback: marry that lady!

e for content: this game only gets more and more loving awesome as time goes on, and the only reason I'm not constantly hooked up to the videogame equivalent of an IV drip is that other software and a lack of conscientious maintenance on my part has led to my graphics card only functioning for 30-45 minutes after being given 3-5 hours to cool down.

Keep up the good loving work and also it's pretty fantastic, your having frank discussions about inner workings of the game systems here in this thread.

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Gerblyn posted:

No, but I've changed it for the next patch!

Also, my girlfriend wanted to practice HTML and made an AoW3 unit encyclopedia in tumblr:

http://aow3db.tumblr.com

She hasn't gotten round to units from dwellings or specializations yet, but she's gotten the rest. Race abilities are marked in orange, while unique racial variations are marked in purple. Any feedback would be appreciated!

It has pretty pictures and I like it.

• Locked thread