Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BadAstronaut posted:

My 760Ti seems to handle 1920x1200 just fine.
So 970 is not actually enough for 2560x1440? It's going to be one hell of an expensive upgrade if I need to get a 980. :(

The 970 is totally fine at 2560. You might not turn on max AA on the most demanding games, but at 2560 you don't really need that anyhow. The 980 is only a marginal upgrade for vastly more dollars flushed down the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A couple months ago I'd still say go with 970 for 1440p.

With gta 5 hitting 3GB vram used in 1080p and 970 effectively being 3.5GB card, I'm not so sure any longer. :v:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, I'll be waiting another cycle to upgrade, personally. I don't need the Titan X and I don't want to spend the money, but I also want more VRAM than the 970 would give me and it'd be a performance equivalent in many things anyway, not an upgrade. 780Ti was not a smart purchase at the time but it's held up well.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Truga posted:

A couple months ago I'd still say go with 970 for 1440p.

With gta 5 hitting 3GB vram used in 1080p and 970 effectively being 3.5GB card, I'm not so sure any longer. :v:

With all the options cranked on GTA5 (Other than AA) it still only uses 3.5 gigs of vram on my 2560 * 1600 monitor, measured from afterburner rather than the ingame estimator.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

BadAstronaut posted:

So 970 is not actually enough for 2560x1440? It's going to be one hell of an expensive upgrade if I need to get a 980. :(

Considering my r9 290 handles 1440p fine, I think the 10-15% faster 970 would be the sweet spot for 1440.

Granted GTA V on PC is about the only game I've had any issues with, and all those issues are from "crank up all 200 settings to max and see how it runs". You will be fine.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Been playing around with settings to get the best visuals I can in GTA V. At 3440x1440 with 2x MXAA, TXXA and FXAA on and advanced graphics options turned on (but only 35-40% of the bar for extra view distance) my 780ti SC has been holding up really nicely. Just adding + 40/80 GPU/MEM overclock on the 780ti. The in-game VRAM guesstimator tells me I'm at 3030 mb. No crashes except for when I tried to overclock my CPU a bit too much. To be fair, I am using an aggressive fan profile and my case handles air cooling well. If it's performing well at 3gb RAM I'm sure the 3.5 on the 970 will be fine.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

BadAstronaut posted:

So 970 is not actually enough for 2560x1440? It's going to be one hell of an expensive upgrade if I need to get a 980.

EDIT - This review seems to show perfectly fine results with that card:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/6.html

Its all relative to your expectations and what you're used to. Yes a 970 does very, very well especially for the cost. It's "good" to "very good" especially if you OC and be nice on the AA settings.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Gwaihir posted:

With all the options cranked on GTA5 (Other than AA) it still only uses 3.5 gigs of vram on my 2560 * 1600 monitor, measured from afterburner rather than the ingame estimator.

That's exactly my point. What happens when witcher 3 (or some other high profile game) releases and uses 3.8?

I thankfully don't need to upgrade yet so I can just wait and see on this issue (and hopefully catch a price drop when 980Ti and 390 release)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I'm waiting for GTA V to be =<20 USD so it'll probably be time for a new card by the time that happens anyway :v:

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

This has 4GB of VRAM though:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/32.html

Looks like that is the one I am gonna get, from the fps scores they achieved in their tests.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdwUsalwBJ8

:ssh:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
:can:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Truga posted:

That's exactly my point. What happens when witcher 3 (or some other high profile game) releases and uses 3.8?

I thankfully don't need to upgrade yet so I can just wait and see on this issue (and hopefully catch a price drop when 980Ti and 390 release)

I just did the fiscally irresponsible/stupid thing and bought a 980 from the get-go :haw:
(And I'd still probably sell it/upgrade to a potential 6 gig 980ti when that hits, because I'm dumb).

Even on the 4 gig cards, random windows desktop crap tends to eat a decent amount (Few hundred megs at least, more if you keep a shitload of windows open on many monitors) to the point where unless you close literally everything you have open before gaming (And who does that?), you don't have all 4 gigs available.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

BadAstronaut posted:

This has 4GB of VRAM though:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/32.html

Looks like that is the one I am gonna get, from the fps scores they achieved in their tests.

There's a quirk inherent to all 970s which makes the last 512MB of VRAM run much slower than the rest.

The driver tries to be smart and push less frequently used resources into the slow region, so it's not that bad unless you're pushing extreme resolutions and MSAA with SLi 970s.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I want GTA5 but I'm waiting for someone to put it on sale or for my sub to run out on SW:ToR, which ever happens first.
Does it matter if I didn't play through GTA4?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Hahaha. Been out of the loop for a while, and didn't even know about 3.5gate.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I wonder if the drivers do the sane thing and push DWM/Aero/whatever it's called these days to the "slow" section. That seems like the best way to handle it. Games still get 3.5 GB of "fast" VRAM, windows chugs along with whatever it needs, technically allowing all 4 GB to be used with no ill effect.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

veedubfreak posted:

I want GTA5 but I'm waiting for someone to put it on sale or for my sub to run out on SW:ToR, which ever happens first.

I never touched 4 and don't feel like I'm missing anything at all, 5 owns.

Kazinsal posted:

I wonder if the drivers do the sane thing and push DWM/Aero/whatever it's called these days to the "slow" section. That seems like the best way to handle it. Games still get 3.5 GB of "fast" VRAM, windows chugs along with whatever it needs, technically allowing all 4 GB to be used with no ill effect.

That would make sense, I'd be really surprised if they didn't do that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

That would make sense, I'd be really surprised if they didn't do that.

This Eurogamer article confirms the driver allocates the regions intelligently based on usage, so it's pretty safe to assume the Windows buffers that are only read once per frame for compositing would get shunted to the slow zone.

Engines which use virtual texturing or sparse voxel rendering could cause serious problems unless you capped them at 3.5GB, but Megatexture hasn't exactly taken the world by storm :v:

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 20, 2015

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did someone say voxel?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up4Ur1Ub0Pw

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

veedubfreak posted:

There's only a few references to GTAIV but they don't really matter.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
It's not worth suffering through GTA4's PC port for.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Like everyone said, just jump right to GTA V. It's way good and was ported/developed properly.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

KakerMix posted:

It's way good and was ported/developed properly.

As long as your name doesn't have spaces and isn't some dirty foreign name with non-ASCII characters.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The_Franz posted:

As long as your name doesn't have spaces and isn't some dirty foreign name with non-ASCII characters.

Yeah that's pretty laffo but I mean in the sense of in functioning as a game.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Swiped from this Beyond3D forums post.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

Like everyone said, just jump right to GTA V. It's way good and was ported/developed properly.

It is doing some weird-rear end stuttering poo poo for me, like every few seconds driving around it'll pause for a quarter of a second or so. Textures are loading so slow that the car is floating over un-rendered thin-air sections of map.

The weird thing is I'm on an optimized 840 Evo, GTX 970, 16gb ram and G3258 @ 4.6ghz.

It seems exactly like the issue I had with Advanced Warfare, for that the one setting called "Cache Shadow Maps" turned out to be loving everything up in a very similar manner with the stutters and textures not loading, but for this I can't figure it out.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

It is doing some weird-rear end stuttering poo poo for me, like every few seconds driving around it'll pause for a quarter of a second or so. Textures are loading so slow that the car is floating over un-rendered thin-air sections of map.

The weird thing is I'm on an optimized 840 Evo, GTX 970, 16gb ram and G3258 @ 4.6ghz.

It seems exactly like the issue I had with Advanced Warfare, for that the one setting called "Cache Shadow Maps" turned out to be loving everything up in a very similar manner with the stutters and textures not loading, but for this I can't figure it out.

Isn't that a dual core CPU you have? I know literally nothing about the GTA5 port, but GTA4 was notoriously CPU dependent.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Didn't amd sell a poo poo ton of cards to bitcoin miners last year? Odd not to see that reflected in the graph. iirc they were selling for $100 over MSRP for a while, and it's not like they could have been that supply strained since we've been in the same node since forever.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Didn't amd sell a poo poo ton of cards to bitcoin miners last year? Odd not to see that reflected in the graph. iirc they were selling for $100 over MSRP for a while, and it's not like they could have been that supply strained since we've been in the same node since forever.

I don't think there were that many AMD GPU's available and AMD was woefully incapable of dealing with the demand. There was a solid 3+ months where you just could not buy an AMD GPU at retail without having some kind of automated system informing you when some store had 10 GPU's in stock for seconds. nVidia sold many GPU's in that time, myself being included in the bunch, to gamers who were actually looking for a gaming GPU. Meanwhile these AMD GPU's get burned out and flipped on eBay as soon as it became apparent GPU mining was dead. The GTX 970 and 980 were absolute sales juggernauts, nV did over a million units between them in a couple of months, which is absolutely insane for higher end cards. Steam Surveys have consistently shown that the 150-250 dollar market is where most GPU's are sold, with the GTX 660 and 760 being the most popular GPU's. Then all of a sudden a 330 dollar GPU comes out and everyone rushes out to buy it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Bitcoin mining with graphics cards and not ASICs hasn't been viable since early 2014/late 2013 from what I remember.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Kind of looks like the poor performance of Terascale v1 has hurt AMD ever since, as they traded pretty consistently up until then. Maybe if the 2000 series had the performance of the 4000 series, Nvidia would have never made such a huge impact with the 8800 cards, nor have the reputation that went with it. Spikes in AMD sales seem to correspond more to Nvidia being lazy (9000 series) or just awful (400 series). It's also possible that AMD can't get more market share because they can't keep up with demand, thus never capitalizing when conditions were good.

Either way, seems Nvidia has the market on lockdown and a bad 300 series for AMD spells doom.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

You have a 970 and 16gb of ram and you're also running a $50 dual core cpu? I mean, it doesn't really explain the texture loading issue but you might want to upgrade that sometime soon.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

The game is immensely CPU intensive, it loads out all cores of my 3570K and occasionally hits 100% on them. It is actually bottlenecking my 980 @ 1440p. The latest patch is supposed to help with the CPU load but it could well be the G3258 causing your issues.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

You have a 970 and 16gb of ram and you're also running a $50 dual core cpu? I mean, it doesn't really explain the texture loading issue but you might want to upgrade that sometime soon.

That $50 CPU is also clocked to high heavens, so it's competitive with pretty much everything as far as single-threaded performance goes. It's pretty popular among the overclocking enthusiast crowd.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

isndl posted:

That $50 CPU is also clocked to high heavens, so it's competitive with pretty much everything as far as single-threaded performance goes. It's pretty popular among the overclocking enthusiast crowd.

I doubt your IPS clock is 4.6 Ghz I'd like to see a CPU-Z Verification link. That being said, even if it is a Haswell dual core pentium that clocks to 4.6 GHz (which means you're using some hefty aftermarket cooling) you need a dual core with HT or a quad core at least to do good texture loading on modern video games. While the main process is still on thread 0 most of the secondary processes are pushed to threads 1-3 and on AMD octo or Intel HT quads to threads 3-7. I'd highly recommend putting some cash into a 4670k or if you seriously do give a poo poo about overclocking a 4790k (Devils Canyon which clocks like a MFer compared to Ivy and other Haswells)

Odds are your stuttering issue is either your Storage (HDD definitely not an SSD unless its a lovely one) or your CPU is bottlenecked by the card (which is what I think it is)

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 21, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

4.6GHz on a G3258 is not a particularly rare or difficult thing, and in the majority of games it is a fantastic processor at those speeds. I'd pretty much always recommend an i3 over the G3258 these days however.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Darkpriest667 posted:

I doubt your IPS clock is 4.6 Ghz I'd like to see a CPU-Z Verification link. That being said, even if it is a Haswell dual core pentium that clocks to 4.6 GHz (which means you're using some hefty aftermarket cooling) you need a dual core with HT or a quad core at least to do good texture loading on modern video games. While the main process is still on thread 0 most of the secondary processes are pushed to threads 1-3 and on AMD octo or Intel HT quads to threads 3-7. I'd highly recommend putting some cash into a 4670k or if you seriously do give a poo poo about overclocking a 4790k (Devils Canyon which clocks like a MFer compared to Ivy and other Haswells)

Odds are your stuttering issue is either your Storage (HDD definitely not an SSD unless its a lovely one) or your CPU is bottlenecked by the card (which is what I think it is)

I know reading is hard but an 840 Evo is not a bottleneck, and a GTX970 is certainly not bottlenecking any CPU.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

BurritoJustice posted:

4.6GHz on a G3258 is not a particularly rare or difficult thing, and in the majority of games it is a fantastic processor at those speeds. I'd pretty much always recommend an i3 over the G3258 these days however.

Yeah I was gonna say, I have seen some pretty high overclocks on G3258s so 4.6 seems in the realm of possibility. Even so, I'd place the blame of stuttering on the CPU in this case. Doubly so since the rest of your specs are pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Gwaihir posted:

I know reading is hard but an 840 Evo is not a bottleneck, and a GTX970 is certainly not bottlenecking any CPU.

I know reading is hard but your CPU would be the bottleneck and a 970 might be able to bottleneck yours. I said it wasnt the storage because it's an SSD not an HDD.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yeah I was gonna say, I have seen some pretty high overclocks on G3258s so 4.6 seems in the realm of possibility. Even so, I'd place the blame of stuttering on the CPU in this case. Doubly so since the rest of your specs are pretty solid.

Not on stock cooling, which is what I said, if he is running a 4.6 on custom loop or water cooling why the hell is he running a 50 dollar processor. It makes no damned sense. All of his other components are mid to high end. But his processor is low end because he wants to clock it high and then he bitches about stuttering? That's stupidity. Buy a loving processor that isn't poo poo for actually doing things besides clocking high. A G pentium on the haswell isn't made for gaming it's made for grandma who wants to surf her facebook and knitting sites and a few overclockers who are looking to post scores on hwbot.

Darkpriest667 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 21, 2015