Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Zaphod42 posted:

I really really do not like how they just seemed to go "yeah, he got that radioactive ooze from teenage mutant ninja turtles all over his eyes, so now he's blind but he has superpower vision
Funny you should mention that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They show you Daredevil's POV. It sucks. It's vague shapes with no detail.

I don't know where people are getting 'he can see better' from.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aphrodite posted:

They show you Daredevil's POV. It sucks. It's vague shapes with no detail.

I don't know where people are getting 'he can see better' from.

Its the fact that he can fight tons of dudes just fine (he may as well not be blind except when he's in court) and really pushing things beyond belief (I can smell the cologne of the guy 2 floors down, and I know that he's going door by door because of just how loving sharp my nose is).

That said I wish they didn't bother showing you the 'world on fire' vision at all. He's blind! That's the whole point! Stop trying to un-do that and give him an alternate way to see. That's what makes him unique! Just let him be blind. I don't need radar-vision or fire-vision with my Daredevil.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

There was a scene, I think when he's in the warehouse with the dying russian boss, where he's able to quickly give a summary of all the objects available in the room. They were all small, inanimate objects, in containers in corners of the room. No matter how good your senses are, how could you tell they were there? They didn't have heartbeats to hear, or cologne to smell, or even any way of affecting air currents. It wasn't as glaring as the cologne bullshit, but to me that was the point where the show stopped even pretending he was blind at all.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Also how can gamma radiation turn a man into a giant green monster; and where is he getting all that mass from?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gaunab posted:

Also how can gamma radiation turn a man into a giant green monster; and where is he getting all that mass from?

This really doesn't seem like the thread for you. :rolleyes:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Look, Daredevil isn't an empowerment story. It's not about how a man overcomes his handicap.

Daredevil is about someone in the 60s saying "How do we make this guy not just Batman?"

It's all bullshit science usually with no attempt to make any sense.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am completely amazed that people seem to think the show's interpretation of Daredevil's power is significantly different in any way to the way he's been portrayed for literally decades. "He's a blind man with the amazing power of sight" is a joke so stale that most people would roll their eyes at it, and here you are all discussing it in earnest.

His real strong point is that he has balls of solid loving steel, I mean it's right there in his name. The blindness is really only there to explain his other super senses that more than compensate anyway.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the fact that he can fight tons of dudes just fine (he may as well not be blind except when he's in court) and really pushing things beyond belief (I can smell the cologne of the guy 2 floors down, and I know that he's going door by door because of just how loving sharp my nose is).

That said I wish they didn't bother showing you the 'world on fire' vision at all. He's blind! That's the whole point! Stop trying to un-do that and give him an alternate way to see. That's what makes him unique! Just let him be blind. I don't need radar-vision or fire-vision with my Daredevil.

He knew he was russian because of the cologne. I assumed he knew he was going door to door because he could hear him with his super hearing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Aphrodite posted:

Look, Daredevil isn't an empowerment story. It's not about how a man overcomes his handicap.

Daredevil is about someone in the 60s saying "How do we make this guy not just Batman?"

Yeah but the point people are making is that he doesn't really have to overcome his handicap in the first place, because the mutation to his senses made it so that he can still be aware of his surroundings in a way a person with sight could. He just can't actually see using his eyes in the normal way.

Ryoshi posted:

His real strong point is that he has balls of solid loving steel, I mean it's right there in his name. The blindness is really only there to explain his other super senses that more than compensate anyway.

I like this explanation though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

I am completely amazed that people seem to think the show's interpretation of Daredevil's power is significantly different in any way to the way he's been portrayed for literally decades. "He's a blind man with the amazing power of sight" is a joke so stale that most people would roll their eyes at it, and here you are all discussing it in earnest.

Thats exactly my point, though. The show (and comics and movies and whatever) should stop fetishizing on his blindness and super-hearing and instead focus more on his devil-may-give-a-gently caress attitude towards life.

The best part of the show is that he's Batman without the fortune but he makes it work anyways. (or... like Arrow :cheeky:)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aphrodite posted:

Oh, I had no idea that this recent Netflix show was actually written in the '60s, that excuses everything. :rolleyes:

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Ryoshi posted:

I'm more fond of they idea that he might have slightly better senses than a normal person, but he is just loving insanely cavalier with his own personal safety. I mean, that was the appeal when I was a kid: that I would be scared to death of heights and leaping off buildings like he does, yet he is blind as gently caress, which should make it 10 times scarier and way more sick nasty.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There was a scene, I think when he's in the warehouse with the dying russian boss, where he's able to quickly give a summary of all the objects available in the room. They were all small, inanimate objects, in containers in corners of the room. No matter how good your senses are, how could you tell they were there? They didn't have heartbeats to hear, or cologne to smell, or even any way of affecting air currents. It wasn't as glaring as the cologne bullshit, but to me that was the point where the show stopped even pretending he was blind at all.

You don't think that he could possibly smell the phosphorus in a road flare? The rust on old metal? I can't remember what the rest of the objects were specifically but I think there were definitely plausible explanations for him knowing they were there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Oh, I had no idea that this recent Netflix show was actually written in the '60s, that excuses everything. :rolleyes:

Well surprise, a lot of it was.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
This may be the first time in this thread I've ever thought shut up you loving nerds.

Guys blind but has super senses.
He's a super-hero, their powers don't normally make all that much sense.
Get over it, bugger me.

Also him seeing "the world on fire" doesn't mean he can see.
It just means he see's burning red instead of blackness.

God.......nerds

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I love the show, but they do overdo it a little bit.

How do you hear a stationary box of nails??

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The "on fire" vision is probably semi-more-accurate anyway since real blind people don't necessarily "see black". They don't see anything at all, or maybe they see giant grey haze with vague shapes, or whatever, it's different depending on how and why you are blind.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Is D'Onofrio loving weird and creepy? Because that's the only thing that matters

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
^ really?
Well at least I learned something.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Also don't think of it as "vision"; it's how his brain is interpreting the sounds and smells around him, along with probably the things he could feel...heat, air movement, that kind of stuff. I didn't like the 'world on fire' stuff so much as I did the movie's interpretation of it. His eyes aren't supposed to work at all, the 'world on fire' or the way the movie did it is just a visual device to help you understand how DD interprets what his other senses are telling him.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Daredevil is the story of a man so hardcore he learns that eyes are a crutch and you should get good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ElGroucho posted:

Is D'Onofrio loving weird and creepy? Because that's the only thing that matters

Of course he is.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Ugh. Fat.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

You also destroyed her life

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In Jason X the regenerating machine creates an entirely new mask for Jason for no reason.

Why would a medical machine build a mask? And Jason's head was blown off, in theory the medical machine would build a new brain and that brain wouldn't really be Jason anymore, he'd probably be an entirely new person waking up in a ruined spaceship about to explode.

Slight nitpicks in an otherwise plothole-free film.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
The mask is part of him now.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mans posted:

In Jason X the regenerating machine creates an entirely new mask for Jason for no reason.

Why would a medical machine build a mask? And Jason's head was blown off, in theory the medical machine would build a new brain and that brain wouldn't really be Jason anymore, he'd probably be an entirely new person waking up in a ruined spaceship about to explode.

Because he's Jason loving Voorhees

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

You also destroyed her life
No I didn't.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I meant Matt Murdock and how many women's lives he destroys.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bobkatt013 posted:

I meant Matt Murdock and how many women's lives he destroys.

John Big Booty is Matt Murdock!?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ignite Memories posted:

There are real life people who can apparently get around with echo-location. So maybe he's so sensitive he can feel his voice or other noises bounce off the individual nails!?

Wanna see him read braille by clicking at it and feeling the vibrations.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mans posted:

Pretty much everything in Jason X can be summed up with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Ignite Memories posted:

Smells like iron and that mold release powder stuff.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Lotish posted:

Wanna see him read braille by clicking at it and feeling the vibrations.

In the comics he can read normal print by touch too. You see it like, once in the show and you just have to kind aput the dots together.

My irritating moment with Jason X is the marketing. Todd Farmer, the script writer used to post on the Friday The 13th Message boards and the whole Uber-Jason thing was meant to be a joke. Just a goofy little bit at the end where you go, "AW poo poo! WHAT?" before laughing your head off at how daft it was... But nope. All the posters, trailers, everything... It was all EVIL GETS AN UPGRADE! And made this classic seem way cheaper and cornier than it was.

Jason X is loving awesome and so is the "pig" mask and the cinematography is boss too. Just look at the dude slowly spinning down the corkscrew in that one scene. Beautiful.

edit: He actually compared the marketing campaign to putting the dick on the posters for The Crying Game.

Drunken Baker has a new favorite as of 09:35 on Apr 21, 2015

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Ryoshi posted:

I haven't read Daredevil comics for decades, or at all. If his being blind has no impact on his characterisation or the plot, why bother with it? It's dumb, bad storytelling, then and now.

A blind man who can still fight organised crime should be interesting.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Daredevil should be scripted like a radio play so blind people can fully enjoy it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edit: Netflix actually added descriptive voice over for visually impaired people specifically for Daredevil.

While Daredevil's powers work better than eyesight in some ways he also super limited in others. Like, he can't drive any kind of vehicle, his senses are dampened by rain or a sprinkler system indoors and he can't "see" colors so anything that works off of that is useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

muscles like this? posted:

While Daredevil's powers work better than eyesight in some ways he also super limited in others. Like, he can't drive any kind of vehicle, his senses are dampened by rain or a sprinkler system indoors and he can't "see" colors so anything that works off of that is useless.

None of this is in the show. He at least once references the colour of a shirt or something based on the feel of the dye from a mile away.