Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

KKKlean Energy posted:

A postal service. Better hope it's good or nobody's checks will reach the tax office!!

You know, a post service would've been better than a Hearse service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Why would the Cims need a postal service when they have #Chirper? :colbert:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

RVT posted:

After the replies saying that people would use trains locally, I spent a couple hours jamming train stations in my city. The freight don't seem to get too much use, and all the track is ugly and messy, but following my passenger trains around my city is my new favorite thing.

Freight is really worth using. Try one or two stations in your industrial area and a station near any large commercial area. It will take a lot of large trucks off the road and reduce congestion.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The new traffic manager owns and it's amazing what removing a few lights and replacing them with a well thought out priority system does to your city.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Michaellaneous posted:

The new traffic manager owns and it's amazing what removing a few lights and replacing them with a well thought out priority system does to your city.

Did you notice any major bugs? Some reports on the workshop frighten me and I don't wanna kill my save...

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Le0 posted:

Did you notice any major bugs? Some reports on the workshop frighten me and I don't wanna kill my save...

Backup your saves. Have not played long enough to tell you. Everything seems to be stable so far.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
Traffic manager is exactly what I had been wishing for and makes the game bearable again to my spergian brain.

I do have a string of stupid questions though:

As a Brit I've never encountered the orange diamond white outline priority sign. I assumed that means the road you are on has priority over intersecting roads, (yay working roundabouts!) but after observing the traffic's behaviour after placing them it's unclear to me whether this is true. Do they work on their own? Do you need corresponding give-way signs? Do I have them backward and it actually means that the road you are about to cross/join has priority?

When I place priority signs on the main road and no other (stop or give way) signs on the intersecting side roads the traffic still just all zooms into each other with seemingly no actual prioritisation. This could of course just be me not perceiving things properly

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Yes it means that the road has priority. Other roads must stop or yield. I guess you have to set the yield/stop in addition of the priority sign?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That's... surely the give way should be enough? I mean the road with priority would just not have signs or lines across the road.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Give way should be more than enough.

Priority signs however can have a few more meanings. At least in austria, if you drive into a town with a speedlimit that means that that limit goes for the entire town.

However, there can be a sign that excludes priority streets from that rule. Has no effect in game, but it's nice that he added the ability to switch it. Only for the fact I can visually see it.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 20, 2015

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
In the Netherlands there are two different sign types that signify you should yield:

- Red triangle (point down): You should always yield, but you do not need to come to a complete stop if there are no other cars around. This is used all the time. Cars on the other road encounter the Orange/Yellow diamond with white outline so they know they have priority.
- Red octagon with STOP letters: You should always yield AND you should come to a complete stop regardless of traffic around you. This is used sparingly, mainly for crossing with bad sightlines.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial

Samopsa posted:

In the Netherlands there are two different sign types...

Same in UK

Le0 posted:

I guess you have to set the yield/stop in addition of the priority sign?

MikeJF posted:

That's... surely the give way should be enough?

This is why I'm confused about how to use the priority sings. Yield/Give Way I understand and they seem to work like in real life.

I had hoped the priority signs might prevent the priority road traffic from slowing down at all or act as some sort of "subtle yield" or something. I'd like to know exactly what it does in game.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Samopsa posted:

In the Netherlands there are two different sign types that signify you should yield:

- Red triangle (point down): You should always yield, but you do not need to come to a complete stop if there are no other cars around. This is used all the time. Cars on the other road encounter the Orange/Yellow diamond with white outline so they know they have priority.
- Red octagon with STOP letters: You should always yield AND you should come to a complete stop regardless of traffic around you. This is used sparingly, mainly for crossing with bad sightlines.

I think that's just standard european stuff. We have the exact same signs in Russia.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Immortal Wombat posted:

Same in UK

This is why I'm confused about how to use the priority sings. Yield/Give Way I understand and they seem to work like in real life.

I had hoped the priority signs might prevent the priority road traffic from slowing down at all or act as some sort of "subtle yield" or something. I'd like to know exactly what it does in game.

From reading the workshop description, I think it only works if you set the main road and then also the secondary road. Only setting main road, as I understand, would still keep the secondary road running in the vanilla game simulation layer and the main road in the Traffic manager simulation (as he explains).

quote:

Priority Signs
- Set main and secondary roads.
- Diamond(yellow) sign is main road, all cars on that road have a priority over all other roads.
- Triangle(red and white) sign is secondary road, cars have to yield to vehicles from the main road. Stopping is not required.
- Stop sign is also a secondary road. Cars have to stop, look for incoming cars and if the road is clear - continue on their trip

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013
I got a chance to play with the Traffic Manager Mod a bit yesterday and it is pretty neat.

Just a warning to anyone who wants to try it, there's still lots of bugs. From my experience, do NOT try to upgrade a road that is part of a timed light node, it'll start throwing angry error messages and you won't be able to do anything but Alt F4 out of the game. If you remove the timed light node first it's fine.

But bugs aside, my god the priority is really great. Being able to put stop signs on local roads off of main streets is awesome, and having traffic turning on to roundabouts yield is pretty useful.

The timed traffic lights are a chore to set up but once you get them working well, drat does it please the autism.

Hopefully the dev keeps up with the mod, once it's polished up a bit and all the bugs are fixed I'd say its really a must have.

e: Also, being able to configure the lanes is really great, especially on 6-lane road intersections. I've got a few intersections in my city where being able to dedicate lanes to either right or left turns is a godsend.

BallsFalls fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 20, 2015

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Every since I got traffic manager I just keep getting "cannot resolve path" errors. Even before I did anything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

KKKlean Energy posted:

A postal service. Better hope it's good or nobody's checks will reach the tax office!!

This is exactly what we need. Postal services further choking our road with yet another city service.

Bumper to Bumper Grumman* Long Life Vehicles as far as the eye can see. :getin:

* I always thought it was awesome the post office's mail trucks were built by a military aircraft manufacturer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Postal deliveries is something people actually see every day, to add another bizarre system like the corpse system we need to turn some rare easy to ignore/abstract aspect of life and turn it into a critical road choking system. Every year cims have birthday parties in which a party truck arrives to dispatch hired clowns and entertainers and balloons. If the truck gets stuck the cim cries them self to death. The trucks come from party-clown rental buildings which have a tiny service radius but your offices and industries won't level up unless there's a few covering them. They also block the road for the full length of the birthday party.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
On one hand the amplifying death spiral that occurs, choking your feeble mortal roads with both ambulances and hearses when you reverse the river of poop with one too many water pumps, is the only real disaster in the game.

On the other hand that's a bad argument from what he have at this second and I wouldn't mind a slightly more intricate service system even if it meant getting rid of hearses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Third option: killing off the entire city so that every building is abandoned and then fixing whatever the issue was is pretty fun to watch. People will start to come back at about 300-400 per week and magically return the city to whatever its former state was in just a few years. Probably goes a bit faster if you bulldoze the empty buildings but it's more entertaining to watch new houses pop up in between abandoned skyscrapers.

This assumes you have the bank account to survive the dark years.

That's how I got the one special building that requires some huge number of abandoned buildings. Turned off my power plants until everyone left, then flipped them back on. Good times!

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Every since I got traffic manager I just keep getting "cannot resolve path" errors. Even before I did anything.

Disable the lane changer mod.

Immortal Wombat
Jan 19, 2005

Everliving Marsupial
Anyone else's no pillars buttons disappeared? I turned off "show one way arrows" mod and no pillars appeared for a moment, and now they are gone again :(

Advices?

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Still trying to get good at making maps, curious what people think about this attempt:

From a few pages back, but how'd this turn out? This looks like my kind of map and I'd love to play around with it if you want to make it available.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Subyng posted:

Disable the lane changer mod.

Thanks, this did it!

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Immortal Wombat posted:

Traffic manager is exactly what I had been wishing for and makes the game bearable again to my spergian brain.

I do have a string of stupid questions though:

As a Brit I've never encountered the orange diamond white outline priority sign. I assumed that means the road you are on has priority over intersecting roads, (yay working roundabouts!) but after observing the traffic's behaviour after placing them it's unclear to me whether this is true. Do they work on their own? Do you need corresponding give-way signs? Do I have them backward and it actually means that the road you are about to cross/join has priority?

When I place priority signs on the main road and no other (stop or give way) signs on the intersecting side roads the traffic still just all zooms into each other with seemingly no actual prioritisation. This could of course just be me not perceiving things properly

As others have said this is standard signage on the continent and means you have priority. Side roads have to have stop/yield signs so they know that the other road has priority and won't take someones right-of-way and cause a crash. (In Germany at least this is a legal requirement and if the city fails to provide it it has to cover any accident costs)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Trapezound posted:

From a few pages back, but how'd this turn out? This looks like my kind of map and I'd love to play around with it if you want to make it available.

I played it all weekend, it has some good bits and some bad bits.

The ridges aren't lined up very well with the 2km squares you can purchase, which means some tiles are 100% useless and no one will ever buy them except to access a square on the other side. This seems like a poor decision to me. The river I set up to place a dam on doesn't work very well either, I mean you can put a dam on it and get a good 300-400MW out of it but the banks of the river are a little bit too low and it caused a lot of flooding until I built up a buffer with roads.

So basically I'll revisit it in a bit and tighten things up.

"That's not gone well." I carelessly placed a power line across the river which sank the riverbank a tiny bit, allowing my entire city to get flooded.

Also there's issues with crossing the river, there just aren't enough good spots to put a bridge in and it results in comedy like this:

(I've since resolved the traffic problem but I thought it was funny when legions of donut trucks clogging my lone bridge.)

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
It's strange, hearses never were a problem and I never experienced major death spirals. But that's because I let the game run full speed between building phases for quite a while. Not sure if it would make a difference, but I also tend to place parks and services after things have built up, so I have the extra cash squeezed out of my cims and it staggers populations more.

Edit: Is there a guide somewhere on how to make/import maps? I kinda wanna remake my own town. Also, how do you get scale right? Never done this before! (Nevermind, I'm just dumb)

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 20, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I get an occasional "waaah the hearses haven't picked anything up!" but nothing like giant death waves. The game really ought to randomize the age of incoming Cims, as well as having Cims that die young and live very old.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i try to have a few groupings of cremation stations around the map, near a freeway entrance and usually near some trash incinerators. Then I have 2 graveyards to toggle back and forth cause why not.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

crabrock posted:

i try to have a few groupings of cremation stations around the map, near a freeway entrance and usually near some trash incinerators. Then I have 2 graveyards to toggle back and forth cause why not.

People actually love living near crematoriums (why?!) and graveyards. It's perfectly fine and doesn't clog your streets if you place them in your suburbs.

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013

Bel Monte posted:

People actually love living near crematoriums (why?!)

Who doesn't love the smell of burnt corpses first thing in the morning?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

It's not like crematoria are billowing smoke like a 1960s marketing exec unless it's incredibly busy for some plague-ridden reason. And most crematoria in real life are adjunct to a graveyard and graveyards are generally pretty nice and quiet and full of trees even if they also generate traffic.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Bel Monte posted:

People actually love living near crematoriums (why?!) and graveyards. It's perfectly fine and doesn't clog your streets if you place them in your suburbs.

I'm going to chalk this up to "Finns are Weird".

Speaking of traffic-based services people should mod into their cities...

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Anyone have an example of a frontage road setup that works well for them? Saw the below on reddit or something and it looked pretty slick, but I'm wondering if it's secretly retarded.

Can I just say - this looks flippin amazing!

So for all the squares you can't zone/build on because "it's ont a perfect grid", did you fill it with trees? Also, got any more pics please?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This is the first game in a long, long while that has me excited enough to be thinking about it a lot when I'm not even playing it. I'm only just started my first 'proper' city (having done one mucking about how-does-this-work OH-MY-GOD-CURVED-ROADS city) and I'm having a blast making cute little neighbourhoods and watching everything grow.

I am eagerly waiting a full British conversion mod so I can have mini roundabouts, British road markings and piss-scented underpasses scattered around my downtown.

Also, please keep posting pictures of road junction abominations, I love them all.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

TACD posted:

This is the first game in a long, long while that has me excited enough to be thinking about it a lot when I'm not even playing it.

I have the chrome extension "Earth View from Google Maps" which grabs an interesting satellite view image from google maps and displays it on your new tab page. It's often a shot of a section of interstate or overhead view of a suburb and since Cities Skylines came out I always catch myself pausing whatever I'm doing and study the image looking for inspiration.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

give me thread posted:

Can I just say - this looks flippin amazing!

So for all the squares you can't zone/build on because "it's ont a perfect grid", did you fill it with trees? Also, got any more pics please?

Part of the way I avoid mass die-offs of new areas is to only add one block at a time and fill gaps with trees. Makes your city look nice, too.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is exactly what we need. Postal services further choking our road with yet another city service.

Bumper to Bumper Grumman* Long Life Vehicles as far as the eye can see. :getin:

* I always thought it was awesome the post office's mail trucks were built by a military aircraft manufacturer.

They're also pretty terrible. My old man is a mailman, they HATE these trucks during the winter. See how the front tires are farther into the fender than the rear tires? Yeah, the front wheelbase is narrower. And it's a rear-wheel drive vehicle. So what happens is in snow the front tires plow out a little mound that lines up perfectly with the rear drive wheels. They're also pretty light in the back, so they get stuck in a couple inches of snow. Apparently they never bothered to test them in snow conditions.

The steering linkage likes to fall apart too. On the upside they're ludicrously durable. I saw one after it had taken a rear-end hit by a 50mph driver, it looked like you could get it back in service with a bit of dent-hammering.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

beerinator posted:

I have the chrome extension "Earth View from Google Maps" which grabs an interesting satellite view image from google maps and displays it on your new tab page. It's often a shot of a section of interstate or overhead view of a suburb and since Cities Skylines came out I always catch myself pausing whatever I'm doing and study the image looking for inspiration.

Tried it and the first thing it brings up is:

Looks about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hubis posted:

I'm going to chalk this up to "Finns are Weird".

Speaking of traffic-based services people should mod into their cities...

Someone already created a chengguan mod. Increases taxes based on the amount of parked cars. It's awesome.