Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Man, I really do want to like NSMBU, Every now and then I pick it up, blast through a couple levels, and I mostly have a good time. Problem is I'm one of those kinds of people who always needs to collect all the little collectibles in platforming games and whoever hid the Star Coins in NSMBU is a loving rear end in a top hat.

Kinda crushes my balls how many secrets are hidden in invisible blocks.

Also ghost houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Kaubocks posted:

Kinda crushes my balls how many secrets are hidden in invisible blocks.

Do not play NSMB2. That game goes batshit for invisible blocks hiding things. Coming off it, NSMBU doesn't seem to indulge in that bad habit nearly as much.

Kinda shocked at the sheer tonage of content. I've been hoovering up star coins and am in world 6 and having a blast. Soda Jungle had several "We're taking the training wheels off" moments of great challenge. From what I gather, there's not only your usual special secret world, but there's also hidden levels in each world? And on top of THAT, there's the challenge mode? Yeah, I'll be here for a while.

I'm still not sure if I like the inclusion of Star Coins, and I've played all of the NSMB games including the awesome fanmade one. On one hand, they really encourage me to sift out secrets in a way I never do in previous entries. On the other, they can get to be a bit much, particularly the ones that are hidden away seemingly by pure spite (hi, invisible walls!).

I also miss a few easy to find secret exits. All of the NSMB games make them much harder to find, at times edging closer to the warp whistles in terms of how secret they can be. I kinda like how Super mario world's exits were relatively easy to suss out.

Narcissus1916 fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 20, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget that one gorgeous Van Gogh level that came and went out of nowhere :allears:.

That level looks good, but they kinda reused that concept from Yoshi's Island

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

That level looks good, but they kinda reused that concept from Yoshi's Island

And?

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

"it's been done before, therefore it's not cool anymore"?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's why I only buy Call of Duty games

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
is NSMB2 the 3DS one, or is there one for the Wii?

(adding used copies of wii games to my purchase list and need to own NSMB, smb galaxy 1 and 2 as well)

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

VideoGames posted:

is NSMB2 the 3DS one, or is there one for the Wii?

(adding used copies of wii games to my purchase list and need to own NSMB, smb galaxy 1 and 2 as well)

NSMBWii is the Wii one

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BFC posted:

"it's been done before, therefore it's not cool anymore"?

Is not in fact what I said. It's just not as inspired.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I think they just thought they could do a much better job this time and took the opportunity, and I do think it's much more realized this time. That said, going with Monet this time around would have been cool.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm still not sure if I like the inclusion of Star Coins, and I've played all of the NSMB games including the awesome fanmade one. On one hand, they really encourage me to sift out secrets in a way I never do in previous entries. On the other, they can get to be a bit much, particularly the ones that are hidden away seemingly by pure spite (hi, invisible walls!).

Star Coins are the best kind of difficulty mode, they encourage you to take a more challenging path through the level while leaving the easier path available if you want it. The ones that are hidden behind secret walls are mostly dumb though, except for the ghost house ones since that's kinda the gimmick for those levels.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I just played a level with Para-Beetles and King Bills. I'm slowly being won over. That level was ludicrous fun.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
NSMBU rules. The only drawback, as has been said, is the relatively tired aesthetic. It'd be like if Super Mario World, SMB3, and SMB2US had all used the same graphic and sound assets as SMB1.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You know what's weird?

There still isn't a Pokemon Snap 2.

Like, every new console Nintendo's released has been an ideal platform for a new Snap, and it just continues to not happen.

Gamecube, better visuals, more room to save pictures, could have way more intricate levels and way higher quality shots. Didn't happen. Wii, pointer controls, would have made aiming those loving apples so much easier, plus it's popularity was through the roof so it would have made mad bank. Didn't happen. Wii U, 360 gyroscope gamepad aiming, posting pictures you take onto Miiverse, even better visuals, way more Pokemon than ever before, like goddamn how is this still not happening?

I dunno, just a thought I had today.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I ask myself the same thing every day

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You know what's weird?

Like, every new console Nintendo's released has been an ideal platform for a new Snap, and it just continues to not happen.

Gamecube, better visuals, more room to save pictures, could have way more intricate levels and way higher quality shots. Wii, pointer controls, would have made aiming those loving apples so much easier. Wii U, 360 gyroscope gamepad aiming, posting pictures you take onto Miiverse, even better visuals, way more Pokemon than ever before, like goddamn how is this still not happening?

If it was gonna be on anything, it'd be on 3DS. Gyroscope aiming and super-stable 3D pokemon photography :allears:.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Game & Wario is mostly garbage but there's one minigame that's basically Pokemon Snap and it really rules. There are only like 6 short stages though and you can 100% the entire thing in just a few hours.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Polo-Rican posted:

Game & Wario is mostly garbage but there's one minigame that's basically Pokemon Snap and it really rules. There are only like 6 short stages though and you can 100% the entire thing in just a few hours.

I know I shouldn't regret passing on Game and Wario for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze with my Club Nintendo reward, but for a split second there this made that happen.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 20, 2015

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it was gonna be on anything, it'd be on 3DS. Gyroscope aiming and super-stable 3D pokemon photography :allears:.

But the WiiU can do the aming thing too and in HD and can probably fit a shitton more Pokemon into the game. Seriously NIntendo WHERE IS POKEMON SNAP 2

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I wonder if they haven't done one yet because before Gen 6, the first 251 Pokemon models were all the same ones from Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 and they didn't want a game where people would have to look at them in great detail and notice that the models aren't all the same quality. :v:

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 20, 2015

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

3DS might be limited in how many pokemon it could have? The last one I played was Y and I thought that game could 3D any old pokemon you traded up to it, and I remember its models looking good. Am I misremembering?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hydrocodone posted:

3DS might be limited in how many pokemon it could have? The last one I played was Y and I thought that game could 3D any old pokemon you traded up to it, and I remember its models looking good. Am I misremembering?

The 3DS versions have all 700-odd Pokemon, yes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ChaosArgate posted:

I wonder if they haven't done one yet because before Gen 6, the first 251 Pokemon models were all the same ones from Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 and they didn't want a game where people would have to look at them in great detail and notice that the models aren't all the same quality. :v:

Yeah but now they have 3D versions of every single pokemon again

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah but now they have 3D versions of every single pokemon again

Yeah, I know, what I'm saying is now that they have models that are probably future-proofed for a few gens, they miiiight go and do Pokemon Snap 2.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

So, it's basically Pokemon Snap :v:

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You know what's weird?

Gamecube, better visuals, more room to save pictures, could have way more intricate levels and way higher quality shots. Didn't happen. Wii, pointer controls, would have made aiming those loving apples so much easier, plus it's popularity was through the roof so it would have made mad bank. Didn't happen. Wii U, 360 gyroscope gamepad aiming, posting pictures you take onto Miiverse, even better visuals, way more Pokemon than ever before, like goddamn how is this still not happening?

Some idiot on the dev team probably complaining that it won't be the same game / have the right spirit without economically infeasible sticker printing stations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Another new CC announced for Mario Kart 8.
http://www.ign.com/videos/2015/04/20/nintendo-announces-mario-kart-420cc-yo

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Minidust posted:

NSMBU rules. The only drawback, as has been said, is the relatively tired aesthetic. It'd be like if Super Mario World, SMB3, and SMB2US had all used the same graphic and sound assets as SMB1.

So Super Mario Allstars?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
daugh, taint reaped again!

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The Taint Reaper posted:

So Super Mario Allstars?

All the games in All Stars (except 1 and Lost levels, whose original versions shared assets) had individual art styles. Even enemies that appear in multiple games had different sprites. Even the sound sets were different.

So nothing like All Stars.

Edit: Goddammit, got my taint reaped.

Zonekeeper fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 20, 2015

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

C'mon guys, even the thread title says not to get Taint Reaped.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How did Rare make such bad decisions in DK64 after knocking it out of the park with Banjo Kazooie?

For example, in Banjo Kazooie, lots of cool new moves to learn, and how do you learn them? Find Bottles. You run into him, he tells you how to do the moves, and then you can do them. He is always near an area where doing the move is relevant and you can try it for the first time.

In DK64, this should be the same concept, but instead, to learn a new move you go to Cranky, usually in the middle of nowhere. You need to go through two loading transitions and a cutscene that's irrelevant to the move itself. You probably are nowhere near a place where you actually need to use the move. Also, you gotta pay. Also, half of the moves are super exciting ones like "You can flip a switch." or "You can stand on a pad and make something happen".

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Probably because if they made a game that was like BK, people would have said DK was just BK.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would love a 3D Donkey Kong platform that was more akin to Super Mario 3D world, not really involving collecting anything or learning new moves at all, but progressing to a goal.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
How about they finally make a Super Mario bros. 5 instead of having an infinite rebranding of the series every single time a new game comes out?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The Taint Reaper posted:

How about they finally make a Super Mario bros. 5 instead of having an infinite rebranding of the series every single time a new game comes out?

Why? That's the type of thing you do when you are desperate and your games suck. Let's call it Sonic 4, that'll put butts in the seats.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

greatn posted:

Why? That's the type of thing you do when you are desperate and your games suck. Let's call it Sonic 4, that'll put butts in the seats.

I dunno it didn't help new Super Mario bros.with all the Wii and Wii U types.

or Yoshis New Island. There's like a laundry list of weird naming conventions with nintendo games and the games did not turn out to be all that great. It almost rivals the one made by Square Enix.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well all the Yoshi's island games actually do suck. They can't make a Yoshi's Island 2 because they already tried that.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Every single Pokemon Spinoff has been pretty garbage as well with the possible exception of Snap and Maybe Pokemon Pinball.

but that's like well over 20 garbage games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
TCG on iPad is pretty good.

• Locked thread