Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Forums Terrorist posted:

wrong

wrong

egregiously wrong

most of the usaf is pushing ~20 years old on average. they need something to replace the current planes. and you don't build for the war you're fighting, you build for the war you expect to fight (russia or china or maybe india) so you might as well try to push the evelope; most current us designs barring the lockmart abortions are a gen out of date, the russians and indians are putting stuff together that beats them. as for the a-10 it's shithouse. it's not particularly good at tank killing and it's too much plane for bombing terrists. but herp herp it's goes braap so goons like it. also, drones atm are really expensive if you want anything near the capability of a manned plane. atm the current philosophy for using them is as basically missile carriers for a manned fighter or recon or smth that doesn't really risk it.

I didn't know Grover had a parachute account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

defense *is* having a fight with russia. america's military is a gang running businesses on three continents.

and the f-22 was started in the 80s, the f-35 in the 90s, it takes time to make planes. the navy is going big on drones but atm they're just not mature enough

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
why can't people just get along instead of masturbating over all the ways they'll kill each other in the future

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Citizen Tayne posted:

I didn't know Grover had a parachute account.

grover's gimmick was lasers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Forums Terrorist posted:

defense *is* having a fight with russia. america's military is a gang running businesses on three continents.

and the f-22 was started in the 80s, the f-35 in the 90s, it takes time to make planes. the navy is going big on drones but atm they're just not mature enough

idk china seems to hack and steal our plane designs in way less than 20 years and for way less than $1.5 trillion :colbert:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

replace the old planes with the versions of those planes currently in production

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

replace the old planes with the versions of those planes currently in production

they stopped making them years ago, which is sort of the problem

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the navy figured this one out, even if the super hornet is really more of a clean sheet design than an upgraded hornet. the f-15 and f-16 are in current production

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

sorry for starting planechat (is that the new train chat)?
i just wanted to laff at employing a method used to inform pilots that the russians have locked on them, to get information about your bros newest buzzfeed article while you drive.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Forums Terrorist posted:

they stopped making them years ago, which is sort of the problem

I doubt they forgot how to make the drat things. Upgrade the engines, add fancy new electronics, whatever. I mean it works for NASA :iamafag:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

the navy figured this one out, even if the super hornet is really more of a clean sheet design than an upgraded hornet. the f-15 and f-16 are in current production

yeah the super hornet is good but the loving hates the navy and they still remember when they phantom and a-7 were forced on them

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I doubt they forgot how to make the drat things. Upgrade the engines, add fancy new electronics, whatever. I mean it works for NASA :iamafag:

they have, at some point tho you can only push them so far

Apr 7, 2003

refleks posted:

sorry for starting planechat (is that the new train chat)?
i just wanted to laff at employing a method used to inform pilots that the russians have locked on them, to get information about your bros newest buzzfeed article while you drive.

I am dreading the day when the bubble pops and all the bros that made fart apps in SF go home and try to get real jobs and smugly talk about being in "the bay" during the "boom"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

I am dreading looking forward to the day when the bubble pops and all the bros that made fart apps in SF go home and try to get real jobs and smugly talk about being in "the bay" during the "boom" have to live in cardboard boxes and eat garbage out of dumpsters

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

you gotta think in Russian

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

making asteroid mining profitable would be an amazing development that i would welcome with open arms. it means either there's such a huge demand for material in space that it's become more practical to do manufacturing in orbit (which means we're doing a shitload of stuff up there) or they've somehow managed to make it price-competitive with terrestrial mining and we can start getting people out of the terrible business of blasting huge gouges in the earth and asphyxiating to death in our man-made caves.

deorbiting the rocks is always going to be infinitely simpler than mining, refining and manufacturing goods in orbit, particularly when you consider that 100% of consumers live, and will always live, on Earth

that said, there's nobody I trust more to safely deorbit cataclysmically large chunks of space rock than a mining company

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
asteroid mining business plan

1. develop the technology to deorbit economically significant chunks of space rock
2. demand money. no mining necessary

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

qntm posted:

asteroid mining business plan

1. develop the technology to deorbit economically significant chunks of space rock
2. demand money. no mining necessary

one meeeeellion dollars

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

qntm posted:

deorbiting the rocks is always going to be infinitely simpler than mining, refining and manufacturing goods in orbit, particularly when you consider that 100% of consumers live, and will always live, on Earth
Unless you're refining propellant or something else that's also going to be used in space.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

you gotta think in Russian

i need to watch firefox sometime, i've only seen the bit where he blows up a helicopter by doing a supersonic flyby

Apr 7, 2003

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Bhodi posted:

Unless you're refining propellant or something else that's also going to be used in space.

yeah but the only reason to refine propellant is to use it to reach something that actually has monetary value on the ground, like rhenium and neodymium

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qntm posted:

yeah but the only reason to refine propellant is to use it to reach something that actually has monetary value on the ground, like rhenium and neodymium
platinum-group metals are about the only thing worth mining in space

Apr 7, 2003

We are never, ever leaving this planet in any meaningful way.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Citizen Tayne posted:

good

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

bring on the heat death of the universe

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

newsweak :kelly:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

this is why we need drones carrying genetic information and biological materials to be sent out en masse in all directions

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

duTrieux. posted:

this is why we need drones carrying genetic information and biological materials to be sent out en masse in all directions

don't post my fetish

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

yeah i don't have enough money to go on vacations so i just jizz in fedex flat-rate envelopes and mail them to random addresses worldwide, that's just as good right?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

yeah i don't have enough money to go on vacations so i just jizz in fedex flat-rate envelopes and mail them to random addresses worldwide, that's just as good right?

dude, the world already has a lot of jizz. no reason to spread the wealth.

mars, however, is practically dry of jizz. they could use some.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Citizen Tayne posted:

i plan on getting buried in a casket so i can make an impression on this world

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

awfully cynical dont u think. i like to imagine a future where starfleet is real

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

quote:

Twitter is upgrading its popular direct message feature to allow users to receive messages from other users regardless if they follow each other. The move is part of its ongoing effort to try to boost user growth as pressure from Wall Street investors continues.

this is a horrible idea

let's make it possible for advertisers to spam you with DMs
let's make it even easier for stalkers to talk to people on Twitter
let's make it easier to harass women on Twitter

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Smythe posted:

awfully cynical dont u think. i like to imagine a future where starfleet is real

come on world war 3 :toot:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
DMs are optional and off by default

at least for now

Apr 7, 2003

Smythe posted:

Starfleet is based in San Francisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Citizen Tayne posted:

Starfleet is based in San Francisco.

and yet disruptors were mostly used by aliens

• Locked thread