Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Buggiezor posted:

Thanks for noticing!! I painted them myself, I used an ELF brand purple with a silver glitter (don't remember the brand) on the tips for a subtle but blingy look. I'm happy to hear you're going with purple too! You'll have to post a picture for me once you get your polish!

Of course! I'm totally gonna be sharing all over. And if you feel like chatting nails, the nails thread in ylls is awesome and noons are the best (we have a few indies among our ranks and the group is great).

Speaking of shoes, these are mine and they're my something new and not wearing them before October is so difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

Buggiezor posted:

It was an amazing night. And I think the shoes were definitely one of my favorite things.

You guys are an adorable couple. Great pictures! As a low-maintenance pre-bride, I second that the shoes and your nails look awesome.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Buggiezor posted:

It was an amazing night. And I think the shoes were definitely one of my favorite things.

I spent a week having waking nightmares about falling off my beautiful four inch heels and breaking an ankle before I even get through the vows. My fiance then announced he kind of thought he'd just wear the grubby black Vans he wears every day. Now, we have matching kelly green Chuck hi-tops. Much, much better for everyone.

Exactly a week from today. Everything that can be done is done. I am amazed with how easy that all was. We did a lot of favors to ourselves- we penny-pinched hard until we could afford a caterer instead of our original plan of cooking ourselves, we skipped any sort of attendants whatsoever, went though a local referral-only jeweler for the rings, and decided on an ultra-casual dress code. It's going to be everything I wanted.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
The shoes are about ten times harder to pick out than the dress for some reason. No one even sees them but it was the hardest wardrobe decision for me and most of my engaged friends.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
I had a way harder time choosing shoes than dress. I also have a hard time not wearing my shoes for every remotely dress up occasion leading up to the wedding.

I actually sealed up the box and put it away on a shelf to stop the temptation.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I LOVE my shoes. They were out of stock for the longest time, and when I got an email that they were back in, I ordered them within 15 minutes.

I would never wait until my wedding day to wear them for the first time though... I've been slowly wearing them out to break them in.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Jinxie Monroe posted:

I actually sealed up the box and put it away on a shelf to stop the temptation.

I might have to do that.

I actually looked at these and considered them but ended up needing the cat shoes because a) we have a kitty and I'm officially a crazy cat lady and want her there (when we get home from city hall we'll have our first dance...with the cat involved) and b) purple is my color, those shoes were just meant for my wedding.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Omg the night couldnt have gone better. We had the absolute most perfect ceremony ever. I didnt notice this but apparently a everyone said that as we started to say our vows the clouds parted and the sun just directly shined on us. Could not have had a more incredible ceremony. We were supposed to do a recieving line but we like, forgot? We never practiced and then the photographer was like uhhh you guys gonna do the receiving line?? and we just didnt know where to go and said ah gently caress it.

The food was awesome, the cake was awesome, the DJ was wicked loving awesome. Seriously massachusetts peeps get at me for some vendor recommendations. Everything was awesome.

Also 100% recommend doing a first look. It was a great moment and also took lots of the nerves off for the ceremony. We got 90% of our photos done before cocktail hour, and then got the last few at cocktail hour but spent most of it with guests.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Thank you thread. Wedding completed, it was perfect. She did a sign language dance that reduced me to tears and I have never felt pure Love like that, it hurt so much.

Off to the honeymoon tomorrow. Nothing nearly as much as the wedding, but it's touching on both our roots.

We ended with the music from the final scene in Star Wars under a guard of honer of light sabers, and run out the door to the end credits music of the Muppet Show.

She's a Stargate fan.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Comstar posted:

She's a Stargate fan.

drat, I want that wedding.

Last night was my first wedding of the season. The bouquet landed in a chandelier and a girl climbed on a dude to get it. Otherwise a really fun bunch even for a small wedding.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

OssiansFolly posted:

That could go either way depending on the request. Some goons will get all high and mighty about it. Some of us will help you out. I think the majority of us don't mind helping as long as it isn't a hindrance upon us.

I know nothing of Bridal Showers...so...good luck.

Well. Thanks anyway I suppose. Back to googling and stressing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Had an invite interaction today that I wasn't sure about- my fiancee and I have a mutual friend who we both worked with at different points, and who we both talk to every now and then but haven't seen since last fall. We went to have brunch with her and her husband today and she starts asking us about our wedding. We tell her it's in August and after a couple more questions my fiancee suddenly asks them if they want to come, as they didn't get invited in the first place (they said yes, the friend didn't even know when it was happening until today).

I don't mind them coming, they're fun and cool but we're not terribly close to them and my fiancee and I both committed to a smaller wedding. At the same time there's a number of people on our guest list who might opt out, so it's not like taking on two more guests will wreck our budget. I asked my fiancee about it afterwords and she said she felt "awkward" talking to them about the wedding when they weren't invited and felt "pressured" into inviting them. I don't think our friend is the kind of person to force her way into an invite, nor are we close enough for her to be offended that they weren't invited in the first place. I just thought it was odd that my fiancee felt like she HAD to invite them once they started asking about the wedding. Did anything like this come up with any of you during the planning process?

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?

C-Euro posted:

Did anything like this come up with any of you during the planning process?

We had a birthday party a few weeks ago for my fiance, and it happened to be a few days after our save-the-dates came in. He was handing them out to a bunch of our friends as they showed up, which was working really well. Until he'd had a bit to drink, and a few hours later walked through the party saying "Did you get one? Did everyone get one?" and made sure every person in the room had gotten one. Luckily there was only one person at the time who wasn't already on our guest list, and he realized shortly after what he'd done and stopped handing out any more for the rest of the night. One person's not a big deal, except that it's one of his sister's roommates so now we feel obligated to invite the other, and there were already people much higher on the priority list who we'd decided weren't going to be invited.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

We're (finally) honeymooning at a beach resort that's a popular wedding destination and we've seen no less than 10 couples get pushed through conveyer belt style for their weddings, like literally one couple saying their vows with the next couple waiting just out of sight with a quick guest and decoration change between couples. I can't think of a less personal wedding experience and it makes me glad we decided to plan our own rather than get a generic wedding package from a planner.

As for invites I think that happens to everyone and the last minute invitees realize what happened and decline 9 times out of 10.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Jamais Vu Again posted:

I LOVE my shoes. They were out of stock for the longest time, and when I got an email that they were back in, I ordered them within 15 minutes.

I would never wait until my wedding day to wear them for the first time though... I've been slowly wearing them out to break them in.

Where did you get these? Me likey!

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too

Gravitee posted:

Where did you get these? Me likey!

http://www.zappos.com/gabriella-rocha-ginger

I would have gotten them in silver if the turquoise hadn't cover back in.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Omg the night couldnt have gone better. We had the absolute most perfect ceremony ever. I didnt notice this but apparently a everyone said that as we started to say our vows the clouds parted and the sun just directly shined on us. Could not have had a more incredible ceremony. We were supposed to do a recieving line but we like, forgot? We never practiced and then the photographer was like uhhh you guys gonna do the receiving line?? and we just didnt know where to go and said ah gently caress it.

The food was awesome, the cake was awesome, the DJ was wicked loving awesome. Seriously massachusetts peeps get at me for some vendor recommendations. Everything was awesome.

Also 100% recommend doing a first look. It was a great moment and also took lots of the nerves off for the ceremony. We got 90% of our photos done before cocktail hour, and then got the last few at cocktail hour but spent most of it with guests.

Hey fellow Massachusetts person! We're at the point of only needing photographer and dj, so I'd like to check out who you used.

Also out of curiosity, what was the venue and caterer?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What's the next task to do after save-the-date cards at six months out? Anything urgent, or do we just chill out for a bit?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

smackfu posted:

What's the next task to do after save-the-date cards at six months out? Anything urgent, or do we just chill out for a bit?

Guess that depends on what you still have left to do...or are you just talking about notices? I'd assume you still have Bridal Shower, Bach parties, Rehearsal Dinner and any other smaller parties between now and when you mail invites.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

smackfu posted:

Depends on what you have left. You should have all your vendors locked down by now so it should be smaller things like ordering bridal party attire and figuring out details like what kind of centerpieces you want and such. There shouldn't be any hard deadlines apart from bridesmaids dresses (most shops want you to have a 3-4 month buffer between ordering the dresses and the wedding date).

Bad Mr Frosty
Apr 25, 2012
If I want to buy a moissanite wedding ring, what are my options? I saw that amazon sells the loose stones, should I buy a loose stone, then go to a local jeweler to put it on a gold band?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Blogpost: Turns out my mother in law is actually making my fiancee's dress from scratch. So we just have to pay for the cloth, and she might even be paying for that herself. That's another couple hundred off the budget, so I'm happy. It makes me pretty sure I'm going to have to go to someone else for my alterations, but I was already inclined to do that anyway. She's better with women's clothes than men's, just a matter of how much practice she has.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

If I want to buy a moissanite wedding ring, what are my options? I saw that amazon sells the loose stones, should I buy a loose stone, then go to a local jeweler to put it on a gold band?

A fine jeweler I went to had moissanite and diamond options for their settings, and I'm sure any jeweler could source a moissanite gem even if they don't carry them in stock. I have a moissanite and titanium ring and mine is from an etsy jeweler, so that's another option. Since moissanite gems are lab created, they're kinda all the same, and there's no grades or variables other than size as far as I know, so I wasn't really worried about seeing it in person.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Can I just ask a general question about flowers? We're going to make our own corsages/boutonnières from fresh sage and lavender, buy about a dozen large loose blooms for one per table, and try for a nice, seasonal, non-traditional-flower bouquet for me. I was wondering if anyone had a similar scheme to mine.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
Has anyone had any experience attempting to plan an interfaith wedding or, more specifically, dealing with recalcitrant parents while doing so?

My fiance and I (I'm Jewish, he's Jain) have been muddling through for the last couple of months, but the closer it gets the more tension there seems to be, especially from my parents. :( At what point do you put your foot down and ask them to just deal with it? The solution we had come up with was to have two religious ceremonies, one after another, but the more I think about it the more I realize my parents were hoping for a non-denominational or mixed ceremony mostly they are uncomfortable being asked to participate in, or even for me to be participating in the Jain ceremony. I've tried to explain it to them as a true melding of the families with both traditions being involved and respected but I don't think it's quite working. Things have calmed down a little since I originally mentioned the two ceremony idea (my parents accused me of betraying the family and told me I had punched them in the gut).

For example we are having two separate engagement parties because the parents couldn't agree on anything and in my fiance's culture it's a legit religious/contractual thing that needs to be done a certain way. I still can't see my parents participating in the puja and they're giving me a hard time about the contract even though I have tried to explain it to them as being like a ketubah. :(

A Game of Chess fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 28, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tell them it's your wedding, not theirs. You would like to make them happy, but having two ceremonies is ridiculous. If they aren't going to be happy with whatever attempts at appeasing them you make, it's up to them whether they want to be involved or not.

Then again, I understand most people aren't as willing to tell their parents to pound sand as I am. You do have an advantage on your side, though. I don't know your parents, but very few parents are willing to miss their child's wedding, no matter how unhappy they are with it.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I mean, I don't think having two ceremonies is that ridiculous honestly especially since the Jewish ceremony is short, my inlaws are immigrants to whom this kind of thing is extremely important, and the way we are planning to do it would be basically just one long ceremony in two parts. I'm just having trouble because my own parents are not happy with any of this. I wanted to honor both religions and traditions, but they're not really comfortable with this.

I have tried telling them it's our wedding but that hasn't stopped them from being extremely upset and unpleasant about everything. At this rate I think I'm just going to have to live with it.

A Game of Chess fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 28, 2015

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
We are doing an outdoor ceremony at a historic hotel which is a no-no according to her Catholic diocese. To make our marriage acceptable, (and to satisfy her mom), we are doing a family only convalidation ceremony in a Catholic church after we get back from our honeymoon.

bathhouse fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 28, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

bathhouse posted:

We are doing an outdoor ceremony at a historic hotel which is a no-no according to her Catholic diocese. To make our marriage acceptable, (and to satisfy her mom), we are doing a family only convalidation ceremony in a Catholic church after we get back from our honeymoon.

We are both catholics, and were married out doors by a good friend of mine who happens to be an Episcopal Priest. Her mom is still convinced we converted somehow.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

While I am personally Buddhist, my Fiancee is protestant, her extended family is catholic, and my mother's family is Jewish (my dad's family is all over the place.) We figured trying to please everyone was insanity, so we just opted to go secular and have a friend of ours get ordained and do it. So with this option, everyone loses, but it's what we wanted anyway. Granted, our family is fairly understanding, so this might not be best for you, but at least no one feels like one side "wins."

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

A Game of Chess posted:

I have tried telling them it's our wedding but that hasn't stopped them from being extremely upset and unpleasant about everything. At this rate I think I'm just going to have to live with it.

Are you in a position to just cut them out? If my parents were making that big a fuss and making wedding planning even more difficult, that's what I'd do. But if you still live with them or they are paying for it, that isn't really so feasible.

Not to seem like I'm rubbing it in, but I'm so glad none of our parents are being difficult. The only demand any has made so far is that we have flowers. And she accepted that if she wants something in our wedding that we weren't even going to include, she is paying for and organizing it.

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev
I could as a last resort -- we are paying for the wedding -- but if it can be avoided I am trying to avoid it. I mostly have a good relationship with them, it's just that the wedding seems to have driven them temporarily mad. :(

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Weddings do that to people.

Usually if your parents are otherwise normal people they won't skip out on their child's wedding just because of the format. It'll blow over.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

A Game of Chess posted:

I could as a last resort -- we are paying for the wedding -- but if it can be avoided I am trying to avoid it. I mostly have a good relationship with them, it's just that the wedding seems to have driven them temporarily mad. :(

I'm pretty sure I've been following your situation on tumblr, and yeah, your parents have gotten completely out of control.

You can cut them out of planning without cutting them out of the wedding. How about something like this: "I love you but you're making me incredibly unhappy. You are invited to the wedding, but I'm done sharing my plans and details with you." And if it ever comes up, just shut it down. "I'm sorry, but I told you already that I'm done discussing this with you." If they press the issue, "if you continue to pressure me, I'm going to hang up." Hang up the phone if they continue to push, shut your phone off, and don't look at it until the next day. (Or at least, don't pick up if they call back.) Seriously, only use those sentences. None other. Don't argue, don't equivocate, don't get drawn in when they inevitably try to bait or badger or abuse you into discussing it. Ignore text messages, ignore wedding-related portions of emails (copy-paste that sentence). Hang up not when you need to, not when you get the last word, not when you've made them understand, but when you've said you will. Hold fast to your boundaries. It is possible to teach them how to respect you, but it might require some rudeness. Rudeness on this scale is way less drastic than uninviting them.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

^^ this. This so much.

My dad threw a fit when we had to bump our wedding up to January from June because of reasons beyond our control. I cut him out of any wedding planning discussions and it took a lot of the stress out of it. He was throwing all sorts of wild accusations at us like we changed it just so his older relatives wouldn't be able to travel to it and how disrespectful that was and all sorts of insane poo poo. It helped a lot that we live pretty far so shutting out the crazy was just a matter of not answering the phone/ignoring emails till he calmed down.

Now after the fact he's still gushing about what a wonderful wedding it was :)

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Nicol Bolas posted:

I'm pretty sure I've been following your situation on tumblr, and yeah, your parents have gotten completely out of control.

It is a small internet world out there! :eek:

But thanks for the advice, everyone... ignoring them and/or cutting them out will cause its own set of problems but at this point, I'm running out of options.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Weddings without parents would be so much less stressful. This is why my wife wanted to elope.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

You don't have to sever, but you can tactfully steer away from wedding discussions by just saying "I've been dealing with all the details for so long I need a break from it" then change the subject.

The Sock
Dec 28, 2006
I've been reading over this thread and still have a few questions, if you kind goons may be of assistance:

1) How do you figure out how much to spend on an engagement ring? I make 65-70K/Yr and have no debt. My GF is pretty frugal and wouldn't want me to spend a lot of money on something, however, I would still like to do something nice. I was thinking 2K to 2.5K, but I really have no idea.

2) In regards to shopping for a ring, are the big stores, such as Kay's, Jared, etc, a good value or are they generally overpriced? I would be nervous looking online trying to order something like this.

3) I'm pretty sure I know her ring size, however, what happens if it doesn't fit? Is it easy to resize or is it worth asking her mom what size? She does wear a ring on her pointer finger often, so, I could steal that as a guide too?

4) Is asking her dad for permission an outdated thing? It feels kind of weird since both of our parents are both divorced and I don't talk to him that much, since we have moved two states away. We are taking a family vacation in a few months and he will be there, as well though, so it would be a good time.

5)I don't really know what she wants in particular, she generally is pretty simple and I don't think she wants anything too distracting. How do these look?

http://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/enga...6.100007.100010

http://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/enga...6.100007.100010

http://www.jared.com/en/jaredstore/engagement---wedding/diamond-engagement-ring-1-carat-tw-round-cut-14k-white-gold

http://www.jared.com/en/jaredstore/engagement---wedding/14k-white-gold-3-4-carat-diamond-solitaire
Any help would be appreciated! Sorry if these have been answered before, I've looked through the thread and didn't see these answered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

4) She's an adult, her dad doesn't own her. Unless she's really traditional, in which case she might appreciate it.

1) If she's frugal, she's going to be pissed at you for spending $2000 on a ring. See if you can think of something more practical, give it to her on top of a cheaper ring.