Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Is... is that person ceramic? They've grooves in their face. And a hole drilled through their earlobe, that stays perfectly circular despite hanging baggage from it. I'm thinking he could probably headbutt a coconut open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Karate Bastard posted:

Is... is that person ceramic? They've grooves in their face. And a hole drilled through their earlobe, that stays perfectly circular despite hanging baggage from it. I'm thinking he could probably headbutt a coconut open.

When the Maori do their tattoos they don't just put ink in they literally gouge lines in the skin and grind ink int that. Not sure about the ear but Maori tattoos are part scarification part tattoo. Very badass. Look at pictures if you can find them; the work is often impressive.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Karate Bastard posted:

I'm thinking he could probably headbutt a coconut open.

They have to as part of their coming-of-age ceremony.

I was reading this whole article about how the internet is destroying Maori culture because the kids can go online and read up on the initiation rituals and find out things they're not supposed to know in advance like how the coconut in question is actually filled with fire ants that then are supposed to bite them in the face and eyes and inside their mouths.

captainOrbital has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Apr 14, 2015

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Otana posted:

When I was in Japan, I had to peel grapes when I was eating them as a snack with my homestay family. I heard it's sort of a holdover from when pesticides on certain fruits and vegetables were a problem, so they got used to peeling them and even though it's not a problem anymore they've never gone back. It was annoying and time consuming, but just popping them straight into my mouth would have been rude as hell, apparently.

At least in Korea, some grape varieties have really thick, sour/bitter skins that are pretty unpleasant to eat, although on the flip side the grape flesh usually shoots right out with a bit of pressure. And yeah I can confirm everyone putting the discarded skins and seeds back onto the fruit plate, getting juice and spit on their fingers. A fitting end to the $8 dollar bunch of grapes you bought at the department store.

Most other fruits (apples, pears, persimmons, etc.) have to be peeled because pesticides :tinfoil: I was told to rinse even tangerines before peeling them to avoid rubbing your chemically tainted fingers all over the edible parts. If only I had access to a dishwasher that could have blasted all my fruit with hot soapy water...

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa8ax-zHoGo

Do you have tons of Legos and need to make new furniture for your home? #Lifehack!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Karate Bastard posted:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

When the Maori do their tattoos they don't just put ink in they literally gouge lines in the skin and grind ink int that. Not sure about the ear but Maori tattoos are part scarification part tattoo. Very badass. Look at pictures if you can find them; the work is often impressive.

Seriously? It's a loving mannequin.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Picnic Princess posted:

Looked like a real dude to me. :shrug:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Luckyellow posted:

Do you have tons of Legos and need to make new furniture for your home? #Lifehack!

That's pretty cool.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Picnic Princess posted:

#Lifehack choose your conversation partners wisely, as some are more likely than others to argue against you #Dumbpeople

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Un chien andalou posted:

The easiest way is actually to peel it and separate the seeds underwater. The seeds sink and the white membrane floats, making everything way easier to manage.

How do you peel it? I just cut it open like normal and separate the seeds underwater.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
I just used an old license plate to fix a valley leak on my roof. I promise it's temporary...

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Should've used permanent plates.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rear end in a top hat hacks

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Pomp posted:

How do you peel it? I just cut it open like normal and separate the seeds underwater.

There's no way I'm drowning for a loving pomegranate

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

If you're already OK with stealing, why not just go all the way and not pay at all?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Tiggum posted:

If you're already OK with stealing, why not just go all the way and not pay at all?
Less likely to get caught this way I guess?

Angela Christine posted:

rear end in a top hat hacks

Both of these are straight up "commit theft."

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

go-to-prison hacks

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Luckyellow posted:

I do a lot of home casting with stuff like cool resin and epoxy and Lego are by far the preferred tool for almost all home molding stuff, from scale miniatures to action figures to jewelry. It's basically water tight when pressed together, they can be arranged into tough molds that most expanding stuff cant break, and most importantly you can build two piece molds that snap together. Also if you're doing stuff with food they are ABS plastic so you can sterilize them with tablets in water and such.

Tiggum posted:

When I was really really poor (like, living in a tent in my friend's yard for an entire summer poor) I would go through the self checkout and key in massive bags of just add water bulk pancake mix as flour because it was a third of the price and I was eating waffles for most of my meals. The reason you do it is because it's much much harder to catch than shoplifting, pretty much no security guard will check you if you go through the checkout, and there were two food banks in my town but one requires you to have an address that matches your state ID and the other requires you to be a college student.

El Estrago Bonito has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Apr 19, 2015

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Angela Christine posted:

go-to-prison hacks

Just make sure you read this thread before you go, so you can hack your life in prison! Walla!

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

The bulk seeds/nuts/grains dept is just as easy to raid.

Some of those items that are like $18/lb look drat similar to ones that are maybe $3

Additionally, the devices at self-checkout are weight-sensitive. Scan a pound of canned corn, then toss that pound of fresh meat in the bag. Rescan the corn...instant savings!

*Only works when you're buying other things at retail value*

Cashiers are pretty overwhelmed/lazy, but they sometimes half-rear end it.

(according to grocery folks)

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
This is the correct way to prepare a kiwi, btw.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

slinkimalinki posted:

Step 3 seems unnecessary.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

rydiafan posted:

As does step 2

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

The bulk seeds/nuts/grains dept is just as easy to raid.

Some of those items that are like $18/lb look drat similar to ones that are maybe $3

I actually ran into the reverse of this - the store had a "make your own trail mix" station that was $5/pound, with various nuts, dried fruits and chocolate pieces you could mix together. I filled a container with cashews and marked the PLU for the trail mix (bear in mind there was no "must mix at least 2 ingredients" rule), and the cashier tried to tell me I was cheating the system because cashews were $7/pound from the bulk section.

A manager allowed me to buy it at the lower price, but not long after that cashews, almonds and a few other items that sold individually at a higher price per pound were removed from the trail mix stand.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Apr 20, 2015

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Are we sharing actual crimehacks now? Because a puffy winter jacket can carry a surprising amount of food! For summertime fun, craft a paper-mache pregnancy belly for the same effect.

I watched someone accidentally drop four packages of meat out the bottom of their coat, but the pregnancy belly was only a thing I read in a comic book.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Most hotels I've been to recently make you tell them your room number and cross it off a list before you can enter the breakfast area. I guess you could just make up a room number but you'd have to both guess a number that actually has someone staying in it and get one who hasn't been to breakfast already. Maybe it would be easy in motels where the "continental breakfast" is just a basket of stale rolls and a thing or two of cereal, but I can't see how that would be worth it unless you're homeless and starving.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Murphy Brownback posted:

Most hotels I've been to recently make you tell them your room number and cross it off a list before you can enter the breakfast area. I guess you could just make up a room number but you'd have to both guess a number that actually has someone staying in it and get one who hasn't been to breakfast already. Maybe it would be easy in motels where the "continental breakfast" is just a basket of stale rolls and a thing or two of cereal, but I can't see how that would be worth it unless you're homeless and starving.

Look for 'do not disturb' rooms on your way to breakfast.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Big Grunty Secret posted:

:420: Lifehack: Want to know if someone smokes weed? Sneak a peek at the bottom of their Bic!

Lifehack: Keep the lighter in your hand and light it for the rear end in a top hat trying to steal your lighter. No more stolen lighters!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

This imagine almost made me go blind with anger. It has a built in hands free pumping :argh:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

They don't have hands free pumps in Europe, so maybe that's where it comes from. I remember the first time I used a U.S. pump, I was overwhelmed with delight at being able to just walk off.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Scientastic posted:

They don't have hands free pumps in Europe, so maybe that's where it comes from. I remember the first time I used a U.S. pump, I was overwhelmed with delight at being able to just walk off.

"Door keep closing? Want door open? Put thing in front of door. Door stay open. Door tricked. Door stupid."

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
It even says on the pump not to do that because then the pump can't click itself off and you'll spill gas.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Scientastic posted:

They don't have hands free pumps in Europe

You are wrong.

Michaellaneous has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Apr 20, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oh lord not this loving lovely derail again.

Lifehack: derail any thread by mentioning fuel pumps.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Scientastic posted:

The one in the picture seems to have the little metal clip for hands-free in it. Dunno what else that could be.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

razorrozar posted:

The one in the picture seems to have the little metal clip for hands-free in it. Dunno what else that could be.

It doesn't have the other part of the clip. Some US states and other countries don't allow hands-free gas nozzles. Since it's probably not cost effective to manufacture separate nozzles for those states, sometimes they have the clip but it just doesn't work.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo nobody cares about gas pumps

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

But if the fuel pump was on a treadmill it couldn't take off at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

slinkimalinki posted:

rydiafan posted:

Rumda posted:

As does step 2

No. Put that fucker down gently. If he get up, you run or he gently caress you up. If you remove head before removing feet he rip your guts out. If you remove legs before sucky proboscis he bleed you dry like a raisin. Once deweaponized, you carve off the tough parts. You watch that kiwi fucker. #Lifehack