Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Oxxidation posted:

Hillary Clinton has been a major political figure for over two decades. Can they seriously not find anything more damning than a burrito purchase?

Answered your own question.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Do coronal mass ejections/geomagnetic storms actually produce EMPs? Or just affect satellites and power grids?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Oh yeah there's also the :tinfoil: theory that a lot of people in Spain repeated as fact that the CIA used ETA as a front to kill Franco's right hand man (well that is more or less accepted) but that they also contacted Juan Carlos and told him that if he didn't transition into a U.S.-friendly democracy after Franco's death they'd do the same to him. In other words, per theory Spain is only a democracy because the CIA told the king they'd gut him otherwise. Seems a bit far fetched but it's a fun theory.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Grouchio posted:

Do coronal mass ejections/geomagnetic storms actually produce EMPs? Or just affect satellites and power grids?

From my understanding it's not technically an EMP since that's thought of what you get when you detonate a nuke in the upper atmosphere, but it produces a lot of the same effects like totally loving up electrical equipment.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Joementum posted:

Rubio and Pataki went to Chipotle last week. Rubio gave the cashier the thumbs up. Pataki tipped $5 and shook hands with everyone in the restaurant.

That Pataki guy should have just given everyone beepers.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I thought the whole Chipotle thing started because nobody recognized the highest profile presidential candidate.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Kafka Esq. posted:

I thought the whole Chipotle thing started because nobody recognized the highest profile presidential candidate.

It started from the media's overblown coverage of her MidWest tour. Fox in turn took it and cast it in a negative light which it probably is, though really it's more an indictment on the media rather than anything substantial against her unless you already think the woman is evil anyway.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Oxxidation posted:

Hillary Clinton has been a major political figure for over two decades. Can they seriously not find anything more damning than a burrito purchase?

I think the issue is that she CAN be criticized, but the most obvious criticism is that she's way too center-right, which the republicans can't do anything with.

So I'm pretty sure the next year or so is just going to be a steady stream of:

"What if she gets her period and nukes a country?"

"She's not hot like Palin was."

"She's way old so maybe she's going to die soon, also don't look up how old our candidates are."

"She says she's a regular person, but she drank a bottle of Evian last week."

"Bill is just using her to get back in to the white house, also women can't be president. The constitution probably says so."

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Oxxidation posted:

Hillary Clinton has been a major political figure for over two decades. Can they seriously not find anything more damning than a burrito purchase?

Oh they have plenty of 'damning' stuff, but they've been using it since the early 90's and it just doesn't play anymore. If nobody gave a poo poo about Watergate, Vince Foster, or cattle futures in 1996, why would they give a poo poo 20 years later?

Grouchio posted:

Do coronal mass ejections/geomagnetic storms actually produce EMPs? Or just affect satellites and power grids?

It's not the same as an EMP, but it has the same effect (a bunch of free electrons running around loving up your poo poo)

A natural EMP is more akin to a lightning strike, a nuclear EMP would be a much much larger short duration lightning strike, and getting hit by a CME or other geomagnetic storm would be like an EMP that goes on for a while.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 20, 2015

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

JT Jag posted:

America is still loving amazing at conventional warfare, it dismantled the state of Iraq in less than a week. It just hasn't wrapped its head around the idea that the world has moved on to an age where asynchronous warfare is more commonplace.

Yes, beating up barely industrialized 3rd world countries is a good metric on the question whether or not America is good at symmetric warfare.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Biff Rockgroin posted:

"What if she gets her period and nukes a country?"

"She's way old so maybe she's going to die soon, also don't look up how old our candidates are."
Uh....

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

I'd give them a pass because Republicans have shown a relative lack knowledge of how female reproductive organs actually work.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Don't think about it too hard, they certainly won't.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gravel Gravy posted:

I'd give them a pass because Republicans have shown a relative lack knowledge of how female reproductive organs actually work.
And they're working hard to make sure no one else does either!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

To veer away from the thrilling saga of Beanghazi: Thanks to people staring to declare, my workplace is filling up again with politics talk - the fun of being the liberal in an industry full of right wingers - and something came up in a discussion about ISIS that I veered away from for personal safety (I like being employed). But it has been bugging me since: it's a drat common talking point about Israel being the US' greatest and most loyal ally in the Middle East, but I'm stumped as to what they've actually done to earn that title.

Near as I can tell we don't and haven't used their facilities/territory (aside from apparently the 6th Fleet occasionally docking at Haifa) for staging or operating, and they haven't actually given us support in any of the like four wars and dozens of police actions/anti-terror strikes we've done in the region lately. About all I can find is that they buy a lot of our weapons and we 'share intelligence' - which doesn't really strike me as particularly earning the supposed closeness of the relationship. (Particularly since even a cursory search pulls up a number of intelligence-related incidents to put the whole sharing thing into poor light.)

They're not a stablizing influence in the region; they don't seem to actually HELP us in our regional actions; and the intelligence relationship appears rocky. What am I missing, aside from the $3 bilion annual in foreign aid being a thinly veiled MIC payout? Oh, and them not being Brown People.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Tempest_56 posted:

They're not a stablizing influence in the region; they don't seem to actually HELP us in our regional actions; and the intelligence relationship appears rocky. What am I missing, aside from the $3 bilion annual in foreign aid being a thinly veiled MIC payout? Oh, and them not being Brown People.

They aren't Muslim.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tempest_56 posted:

[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Zionism

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tempest_56 posted:

[...]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balfour_Declaration

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also AIPAC is a very influential lobby.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Gravel Gravy posted:

I'd give them a pass because Republicans have shown a relative lack knowledge of how female reproductive organs actually work.

The body has ways of shutting nuke's down. Hopefully she EMPMS's at the right time.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Okay, so it is basically Brown People, got it. The way it gets talked about it seemed like there was some big benefit that I was missing.

[...]

They were pretty much there to balance against Soviet influence in the region. The relationship was always tenuous and since the Soviet collapse it hasn't gotten much better.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Accretionist posted:

Plutocracy now!

Article: U.S. House passes estate tax repeal despite veto threat
From: Reuters
Date: April 16, 2015

(Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday ignored a White House veto threat and passed legislation to repeal the estate tax that hits inherited assets worth $5.4 million or more.

By a mostly partisan 240-179 vote, the Republican-backed bill will be sent to the Senate, where Democrats are expected to use procedural hurdles to try to block it. Even if it passes the Senate, it would likely fail to achieve a two-thirds majority needed to override a veto.

House passage was timed for the week when most Americans file their tax returns. Conservatives, who refer to the estate tax as the "death tax," have long railed against it, arguing it hurts the families of small business owners and farmers.

"It’s past time to repeal this unacceptable tax. Every American deserves the ability to pass their life’s savings to their kids," said Representative Tom Graves, a conservative Republican from Georgia.

Repealing the tax would boost the federal deficit by about $269 billion over 10 years, according to Congress' Joint Committee on Taxation.

Few Americans pay the 40 percent tax on assets above the $5.4 million exclusion amount. About 5,400 estates, equal to 0.2 percent of taxpayers, will owe such taxes in 2015, according to the JCT.

$26,900,000,000 in taxes per year / 5,400 estates in 2015 = $4,981,481 in tax savings per estate. Average estate value (assuming 40% is taxed on the entire value and not just the bracket) $12.5 million per estate.

These are not small family farms.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Going back to talking Iraq, our complete lack of a grand strategy for ensuring hegemony, our complete lack of any strategic objective in Iraq, our ignoring tactical goals for the occupation like securing weapons, and out being really good at taking down a conventional enemy but not handling an unconventional one, I really recommend Thomas P Barnett's 2005 TED talk on it. 24 minutes, well worth your time; even if you disagree with the goal of a grand strategy of international hegemony or his proposal for ensuring it, he does a great job outlining the series of failures going back decades that made the problems we are having all but inevitable.

http://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_barnett_draws_a_new_map_for_peace

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Popular Thug Drink posted:

It's not the same as an EMP, but it has the same effect (a bunch of free electrons running around loving up your poo poo)

A natural EMP is more akin to a lightning strike, a nuclear EMP would be a much much larger short duration lightning strike, and getting hit by a CME or other geomagnetic storm would be like an EMP that goes on for a while.
So *all* electronics would get fried from a powerful enough solar storm?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Grouchio posted:

So *all* electronics would get fried from a powerful enough solar storm?

Yup. Unless they were hardened, or we had enough warning to turn everything off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Grouchio posted:

So *all* electronics would get fried from a powerful enough solar storm?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1989_geomagnetic_storm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

quote:

Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases giving telegraph operators electric shocks.[7] Telegraph pylons threw sparks.[8] Some telegraph operators could continue to send and receive messages despite having disconnected their power supplies.

The sun operates on a scale that utterly dwarfs the combined accomplishments of all human history. We've been lucky so far because it emits CMEs and flares in random directions and the Earth is a very small target.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 20, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

haveblue posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1989_geomagnetic_storm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

The sun operates on a scale that utterly dwarfs the combined accomplishments of all human history. We've been lucky so far because it emits CMEs and flares more or less at random and the Earth is a very small target.

That's because it's a fusion reactor 1.4 million miles wide and capable of maintaining its reaction by the force of its own gravity.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

haveblue posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_1989_geomagnetic_storm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

The sun operates on a scale that utterly dwarfs the combined accomplishments of all human history. We've been lucky so far because it emits CMEs and flares in random directions and the Earth is a very small target.

The federal organization that regulates the US grid (FERC) disputes the claims that it would cause mass damage to the grid, but agrees it could cause blackouts. So probably nothing worse than a software bug + tree branch could cause.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Fried Chicken posted:

There are, though you run into the issue of how enemy and collateral are defined. On of the more bullshit things the Obama administration has done is deem every male over the age of 13 to be enemy rather than collateral so that fucks the numbers.

IIRC even after you unfuck the numbers, drone strikes are the best we have for minimizing collateral damage, something like 23 innocents for every enemy. Not that drones are particularly good, that is still 23 dead people for every presumed threat (and our ways of picking threats are dodgy), just that cruise missiles, bombing runs, artillery strikes, and ground invasions are worse for how many people get caught up in it.

Anyways for the air force altogether the information is out there, though I'm not sure where

And with a 23 to 1 kill ratio of innocents to enemies, I can suddenly understand why the Air Force would be recruiting a lot of people inclined to religiosity.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I was wondering if it would irreparably fry my laptop or cellphone or other appliances/devices if they were on during one. Or if they'd be fried regardless of being on or not.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

The federal organization that regulates the US grid (FERC) disputes the claims that it would cause mass damage to the grid, but agrees it could cause blackouts. So probably nothing worse than a software bug + tree branch could cause.

Ok I got my scale wrong. More like 2-3x the size of the 2003 Northeast Blackout:

Grouchio posted:

I was wondering if it would irreparably fry my laptop or cellphone or other appliances/devices if they were on during one. Or if they'd be fried regardless of being on or not.

If your electronics would get fried a brownout or unstable power conditions probably yes. I'd be less worried about direct effects from the sun and more about how the grid reacts and becomes unreliable. Like plugging your laptop in a third world Internet cafe.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

$26,900,000,000 in taxes per year / 5,400 estates in 2015 = $4,981,481 in tax savings per estate. Average estate value (assuming 40% is taxed on the entire value and not just the bracket) $12.5 million per estate.

These are not small family farms.
[/quote]

Even more fun is that between a husband and wife the estate gets a $10 million exemption from estate tax. So probably more like $22 million of average estate size.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Trabisnikof posted:

The federal organization that regulates the US grid (FERC) disputes the claims that it would cause mass damage to the grid, but agrees it could cause blackouts. So probably nothing worse than a software bug + tree branch could cause.

Funny because I literally sat in front of the guy in charge of the Cascadia part of it a year ago and the basic summary of his presentation was "poo poo could get real guys"

Do you have a source because I'd love to not worry about it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RuanGacho posted:

Funny because I literally sat in front of the guy in charge of the Cascadia part of it a year ago and the basic summary of his presentation was "poo poo could get real guys"

Do you have a source because I'd love to not worry about it.

2x-3x the size of the northeast black out with a large number of things that need to be fixed is "poo poo getting real"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

They're working on it http://www.nerc.com/pa/Stand/Pages/Project-2013-03-Geomagnetic-Disturbance-Mitigation.aspx You can see the event they're planning on dealing with in "Benchmark GMD Event White Paper" on there but I can't comment on how reasonable it is because I know gently caress all about electronics at this scale aside from being constantly amazed it all keeps working somehow.

Oh christ I just realized how bad it could be if the Republicans get really interested in sticking their dicks in this infrastructure :cry:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How localized would a sun-based EMP be on Earth? Like, that map shows all of the US being affected, but would it also hit the whole upper hemisphere? Would it affect all of Earth?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

zoux posted:

Whenever your worst arzy tendencies begin to surface, I want you to remember this.

It's a promising sign that Hillary is polling well over 50% amongst the general electorate.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

site posted:

How localized would a sun-based EMP be on Earth? Like, that map shows all of the US being affected, but would it also hit the whole upper hemisphere? Would it affect all of Earth?

The link earlier of the 2003 event that hit the north east US and east Canada is considered a fairly typical area of effect, the issue lies in part that if the earth was angled the wrong way at the wrong time it could hit basically an entire country at once and turn the lights and everything else out.

Munkeymon posted:

They're working on it http://www.nerc.com/pa/Stand/Pages/Project-2013-03-Geomagnetic-Disturbance-Mitigation.aspx You can see the event they're planning on dealing with in "Benchmark GMD Event White Paper" on there but I can't comment on how reasonable it is because I know gently caress all about electronics at this scale aside from being constantly amazed it all keeps working somehow.

Oh christ I just realized how bad it could be if the Republicans get really interested in sticking their dicks in this infrastructure :cry:

I'm not TOO worried about that because that would first make them admit that the government has a purpose.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 20, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ralepozozaxe posted:

That Pataki guy should have just given everyone beepers.

The beeper king/Abner 2016!

  • Locked thread