Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
My uncle has one of those neon green ryobi drill drivers and that thing is powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

The 18V Ryobi stuff is more than good enough for around the house.

I bought the drill/impact combo for $100 Canadian, and they are great. I used them finishing a basement with all wood studs, never had a problem.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Spazz posted:

Those cheap B&D ones will break the second you try to do anything more than build IKEA furniture in my experience.

I have had a Black and Decker cordless drill for like 10 years now and it has done just fine. I do a ton of woodworking and have used it for all kinds of projects. Granted I know when to use it and have a corded drill for heavier duty jobs. Don't assume it will do any and all drill work and its not a piece of poo poo.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

JEEVES420 posted:

I have had a Black and Decker cordless drill for like 10 years now and it has done just fine. I do a ton of woodworking and have used it for all kinds of projects. Granted I know when to use it and have a corded drill for heavier duty jobs. Don't assume it will do any and all drill work and its not a piece of poo poo.

I didn't have any tools a year ago. I have no experience with tools.

I started loving around with quadcopters and built a set around that, but that doesn't really include a nice corded drill. Mayhaps that's my next purchase. I had no luck this weekend on garage sales.

That said, my hammock stand is now complete. I felt pretty great having made something that wouldn't go away when I turned off the computer (I spend wayyy too much time playing video games). It felt even better when I caught 2 of my roommates sharing the hammock, fully blowing my mind that it would hold 2 normal-sized people without collapsing.

Warm fuzzies all around. Once again, thanks for the inspiration, apatite.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

That said, my hammock stand is now complete. I felt pretty great having made something that wouldn't go away when I turned off the computer (I spend wayyy too much time playing video games). It felt even better when I caught 2 of my roommates sharing the hammock, fully blowing my mind that it would hold 2 normal-sized people without collapsing.

I love that feeling in a project. I've been working on a pair of digitgrade stilts for a Halloween costume, and this weekend, I got close enough to done to try a test fit of one of them. Not only did it not snap in half when I strapped my leg in, but the one that I put on actually held my weight. I still need to finish some bits on both, but it's looking like I'll be up and walking in them by the end of the week. This is the first physical project I've ever been able to build finish, and I'm frikken excited. :dance:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Congrats! Hammocks are the sweetest things. I'm planning to spend half my drat summer in one.

The other half I'll be playing in my garden and building things with my sweet new Kreg Jig(tm). I'm drat pleased to have gotten one as a birthday gift. Woodworking, ahoy!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Faerunner posted:

Kreg Jig(tm).

Thanks!

I'm not really understanding what the Kreg Jig is, do you have a bit more info? I looked up the site but it's a bit over my head.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Thanks!

I'm not really understanding what the Kreg Jig is, do you have a bit more info? I looked up the site but it's a bit over my head.

A "jig" in woodworking is just some tool that helps you do a specific task, generally by making positioning of the wood easier or helping to guide the tool.. I have a bookshelf jig that helps me drill the holes for the little pegs that support the shelves, for example -- it's just a row of precisely-spaced holes in a piece of shaped plastic. Kreg makes a ton of different jigs for different purposes; who knows what kind Apatite got. Well, Apatite knows, obviously.

EDIT: vvv dammit this is what happens when Person B posts about their activities in Person A's thread: Person C (that'd be me) gets confused :downs: Meant Faerunner instead of Apatite.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 20, 2015

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

who knows what kind Apatite got. Well, Apatite knows, obviously.

:confused: I don't have any Kreg jigs, as demonstrated by this bird feeder the wife convinced me to make Sunday morning:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
One day I will retreat to the wilderness. Probably once I have a robot worker.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Thanks!

A Kreg Jig helps you make Pocket Holes, which are very useful!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

concise posted:

A Kreg Jig helps you make Pocket Holes, which are very useful!

In-deed! I'm quite looking forward to building things like benches that don't just have screws sticking through the top to hold the legs in. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but pocket holes can really help with the whole "I know what I'm doing!" look.

Apatite, that is an adorable bird feeder and you did a great job. :)

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I found out my friend, who works at Lowe's, has access to some pretty cool reclaimed wood. I might need to keep trying my hand at this woodwork poo poo, since I think I've caught the bug.

I've also caught my knuckle on a carriage bolt and skinned it down to the gooey white stuff. I'm fairly sure it's terminal.

My soft, velvety, IT hands cannot handle the goddamn heat, apparently.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've also caught my knuckle on a carriage bolt and skinned it down to the gooey white stuff. I'm fairly sure it's terminal.

My soft, velvety, IT hands cannot handle the goddamn heat, apparently.

No project is complete until you've bled for it.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

:3: The girlfriend and the cat seem to like it.

This is the last I'll mention it in this thread, I'm sorry I highjacked it.

Come back, apatite... This is what happens when I'm left alone.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

:3: The girlfriend and the cat seem to like it.

Both your girlfriend and your cat are cute, and that looks like a very nicely made hammock stand. Wins all around. Where does your friend get the reclaimed wood - is it from Lowes' pallets or shipping crates/displays, or does he know a guy who knows a guy?

Home Depot culls a lot of its lumber and sells it for 70% off if it's warped or damaged but won't give away pallets because suppliers charge for them if they're not returned. We are occasionally allowed to take home the cheap wood plant displays or wire spools though.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

That is a cute cat and a cute gf but the hammock stand is really the star of your post (don't tell your gf or cat I said this please, tell each one respectively that they are in fact the star)

Sorry for being absent, I really want to show you pics of all the leeks we're eating and stuff starting to turn green and sell you all some sweet sweet syrup and but am just super duper loving busy right meow. Don't worry about hijacks you guys make better posts most of the time anyway!

editing in these two pics real quick

apatite fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 29, 2015

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

hammock looks a little close together?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

apatite posted:

I really want to show you pics of all the leeks we're eating

I didn't think about this until now, but your property is absolutely perfect for that. So jealous.....ramps are delicious.

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran

apatite posted:

ramp fest

Cut the root end with a sharp knife instead of pulling them clean out of the ground. They have a better chance of regrowing that way, or at least the oldtimers say they do. It takes a long time for ramps to get established in a big patch.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

jailbait#3 posted:

It takes a long time for ramps to get established in a big patch.

Nah they have been spreading like wildfire over the past few years. When I first started coming here in 07 there were small patches but not a ton. Check out this pic from last year

All that green is leeks, and it is the same behind me and the same on the other side of the ridge.

Check out this pic from this morning:

That's a super loving steep rock cliff right next to the house with a couple inches of moss on it and it is filling up with leeks, there were none there last year or years past

For the last couple of years I've just been harvesting them out of my trails, conventional wisdom says to not harvest more than 15% of a patch, I couldn't touch that unless selling commercially (which I hope to do next year)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Sweet jesus

jailbait#3
Aug 25, 2000
forum veteran
OK, that's a good spread - thin patches, but lots of them! Here's where I picked today:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Yep a little thinner, here are a couple pics from last night's pick:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I'm pretty jealous of your sustainable living.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm pretty jealous of your sustainable living.

We have not run a generator in months, but can't consider ourselves sustainable yet.

Still need to get away from propane and gasoline but that poo poo is hard. Thankfully we are only using propane for cooking so we use very little. Need outdoor kitchen with wood fired stove and one for in the house for the winter.....

The propane fridge uses so much fuel that we only used it for a month last year even though I put a few hundred bucks into it to upgrade the burner and safety valve so it didn't blow us up. We have priced out small efficient electric refrigerators and hope to buy one this month!! Hoping to sell the propane fridge which should sell for easily twice the cost of electric.

Gasoline we can't get away from yet either, they make electric chainsaws but you could never cut all the firewood we need in a year with one without deciding to plunge it into your own gut first. We still have to drive to work and can't afford to buy or build electric vehicles and are too far away to reasonably be able to use bicycles. I want an electric motorcycle so so so so so so bad!

We do buy quite a bit of food still but are decreasing this as time goes on as well.

Here's hoping for a productive 2015!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Have you read about the tesla power wall? I don't know how competive it is with a build your own system but sounds pretty freaking awesome for not a horrible amount of money.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

Have you read about the tesla power wall? I don't know how competive it is with a build your own system but sounds pretty freaking awesome for not a horrible amount of money.

The waitlist for getting one is also already pretty huge, IIRC. And they're not cheap. I mean, payback time isn't unreasonable especially if you have expensive electricity, but there's a pretty large up-front capital investment.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
I was just about to ask this actually. Seeing that keynote really inspired me to look into sustainable living.

dreesemonkey posted:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

dreesemonkey posted:

Sold out through mid-next year already, but a great idea.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Yes it is very good stuff, we will stick with our lead-acid setup for now (not that we have much of a choice). I still need to focus on generation more than storage at this point :ohdear:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
A reminder for those of us living vicariously through this thread that a hammock on the front porch, with a garden in arm's reach and birds singing in the trees can be a pretty awesome retreat even if it's not wilderness.

I get wifi from my hammock. :D

Apatite, since you've been living on the land for a while now what would you say is/was your greatest hurdle in getting things "liveable" up there? Electricity gets tossed around a lot as a tricky thing to generate/store/use wisely off-grid. Would you say that's the biggest hurdle to a new wilderness adventurer, or are there bigger concerns (like, can you poo poo in a bucket without paralyzing fear of spiders getting the best of you? Does Netflix deliver DVDs to your address? Etc)

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Faerunner posted:

A reminder for those of us living vicariously through this thread that a hammock on the front porch, with a garden in arm's reach and birds singing in the trees can be a pretty awesome retreat even if it's not wilderness.

I get wifi from my hammock. :D

Apatite, since you've been living on the land for a while now what would you say is/was your greatest hurdle in getting things "liveable" up there? Electricity gets tossed around a lot as a tricky thing to generate/store/use wisely off-grid. Would you say that's the biggest hurdle to a new wilderness adventurer, or are there bigger concerns (like, can you poo poo in a bucket without paralyzing fear of spiders getting the best of you? Does Netflix deliver DVDs to your address? Etc)

My hammock is by the stream, it's really awesome will grab you a pic soon but there is probably one from last year kicking around in the thread. No wifi though I just read books, it's still pretty sweet.

Greatest hurdle? Not sure on that one, I'd probably have to say "money" unironically.

If you were some sort of moderately wealthy person this would all be so cool and easy it would be like being on vacation every day for the rest of your life because you would just pay other people for things like cutting firewood and drilling a well and you'd have a giant PV array and a cool wind turbine with a warranty and some other dude would build your house so you wouldn't even have to know how to hammer in a nail you'd just sip maragaritas in the hammock by the stream and be all "Nancy, this is certainly a joyous method of living! Have you considered all the ways that our lifestyle now varies from when we inhabited the suburbs of $major_city??" and then you would laugh and Nancy would laugh and someone would be like "Hey Bill, how about another glass of scotch?"

Electricity is not the biggest hurdle, you just throw money at it and lots of companies have made that super easy nowadays. You can buy whole pre configured systems with panels, wiring, batteries, charge controller, mounts, then you pay some guy to put it together if you can't figure it out.

If you poo poo in an outhouse there might be spiders but if you're making GBS threads in a bucket of sawdust in the winter time there probably won't be any spiders. You probably don't want to go full on hippy-wilderness-immersion if you are scared of spiders or any bugs at all, a more normal lifestyle but still in the woods would probably be preferred.

Does Netflix deliver? I thought they just used the mail (we have never used Netflix, can't answer this but if it works through the mail I'd suspect you can get it anywhere you can get the mail, in our case a box at the local postage establishment). There is nobody else that will deliver anything to us though in regards to food, etc. Maybe illegal drugs based on the local news.

Thinking back on the original question more, the answer is still money. If you have enough money you can make a cave as comfortable as a modern house, if you don't then you are going to be sleeping on the ground in a cold smelly wet cave.

White Trillium

These are more rare at my place even though the Red Trillium is on our list of protected native plants

This is a bug that was on a tree while I was walking through the woods at night, these purple guys are everywhere when it is not wintertime

edit: they are also huge

another edit:

here is a snake that was sunning himself when we were planting some more apple trees the other day, I scared him off into the weeds by accident and then he ate a toad

apatite fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 11, 2015

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, Netflix just uses the postal service but I guess if you don't have a mailbox, it kinda defeats the purpose of having movies mailed to you.

I would love pics of your hammock by the stream!

I guess there are some things you just can't do without money... I have a decent amount of know-how but there's SO much to learn and do when setting up off-the-grid housing, and so many materials one needs. You've been doing an amazing job for not being rich! Your syrup set-up is fantastic, for example.

I am totally phobic of spiders but I camped every summer for years in a big platform tent with spiders in it, used outhouses with spiders, etc. I still freak out when I see one unexpectedly but I've come to terms with the fact that nature = bugs and I like nature too much to let the bugs keep me away. So sawdust in a bucket it is!

And trilliums <3 My grandmother's favorite flower. You're so lucky to have them on your land! They're beautiful.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Faerunner posted:

Yeah, Netflix just uses the postal service but I guess if you don't have a mailbox, it kinda defeats the purpose of having movies mailed to you.

I would love pics of your hammock by the stream!

I guess there are some things you just can't do without money... I have a decent amount of know-how but there's SO much to learn and do when setting up off-the-grid housing, and so many materials one needs. You've been doing an amazing job for not being rich! Your syrup set-up is fantastic, for example.

I am totally phobic of spiders but I camped every summer for years in a big platform tent with spiders in it, used outhouses with spiders, etc. I still freak out when I see one unexpectedly but I've come to terms with the fact that nature = bugs and I like nature too much to let the bugs keep me away. So sawdust in a bucket it is!

And trilliums <3 My grandmother's favorite flower. You're so lucky to have them on your land! They're beautiful.

Don't get me wrong, this stuff is not impossible without money it is just way way way harder and possibly has a barrier of entry that is larger than most people that don't have money can easily cross. If you have a large abundance of time and motivation/energy it is quite a bit easier to get around the money problem but when you have both a lack of money and a lack of time things can start getting :negative: - this is often where I find myself on the spectrum because the ability is there to do cool stuff but the time/money probably isn't.

With that said I totally sold all that syrup out from under you guys and it was way easier than coming up with a way to sell it on the internet that didn't result in me getting doxxxxxxxxed or w/e and now all the money is going back into tubing and an RO :homebrew: We did pretty well this year

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
Time does seem to be an issue, are you and your girlfriend working fulltime away from the property?

Don't under estimate how much you could gouge us though.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Kurt_Cobain posted:

Don't under estimate how much you could gouge us though.

Not empty quoting.

I would 1000% rather help an SA person than whatever company sells a comparable product.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I would have given you $30 for 16oz :(

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Could you at least doxx he lucky bastard who got the syrup so we can harrass them into selling it to us? Er I mean. next year please let me throw money at you to get awesome home made syrups.

Maybe setup an Etsy store or some such for Artisinal hand used Mason Jars that happen to be dirty and full of sticky syrup.
You totally sold us a mason jar and NOT the contents. those were just there and too much bother to clean out.

VV absolutely agree this is why he sold locally to a single person.

Gegil fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

apatite posted:

when you have both a lack of money and a lack of time things can start getting :negative: - this is often where I find myself on the spectrum because the ability is there to do cool stuff but the time/money probably isn't.

Sold as one batch:
No upfront cost, takes 2 minutes to load into someone's truck.
Done.

vs.

Sold separately:
Buy mason jars and lids
Buy boxes and foam/bubblewrap/peanuts for packing
clean/sterilize jars (with no dishwasher, limited hot water), decant to jars, seal (does syrup need to be canned?)
clean mess from filling jars, store them somewhere until ready to go.
Pack, wrap, seal, address boxes.
Take to post office, buy postage, send.
repeat as necessary.

• Locked thread