Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Birb Katter posted:

The pie to rule them all has neither a top crust or a bottom crust. The shepherds pie rules.

I'm a little apathetic towards Shepherd's Pie, but that's just because I'm not really a potatoes kinda guy. I love quiche and meat pies, but I rarely eat 'em because they're packed with calories, but are only a little more filling than dessert pies :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I dunno who was the crazy person who first did it, but butter chicken curry in a pie is amazing.

NZ is pretty big on pies.

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Oi matey yank, u wot m8

The Brits and their former penal colonies have their own culinary traditions, don't you go thinking they were influenced by America to come up with food this terrible.

Yank yank yank!

I love that word almost as much as I love a good fish head pie.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

hyperhazard posted:

You're forgetting shoofly pie, the ambrosia of the Pennsylvania Dutch. I'd trade meat pie for shoofly pie any day.

Every time I see that word, mentally I hear it as "shoof-lee" rather than "shoo-fly."

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I had my first ever slice of Shoofly pie on Saturday. It was pretty great.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Phlegmish posted:

Oi matey yank, u wot m8

The Brits and their former penal colonies have their own culinary traditions, don't you go thinking they were influenced by America to come up with food this terrible.

I tried to make a version of stargazy pie with corn dogs poking out instead of fish a few years ago. That's my American version!

That makes me think of back-of-the box recipes. Does anyone know how much they are just straight up marketing?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

That makes me think of back-of-the box recipes. Does anyone know how much they are just straight up marketing?

They're 100% marketing; they're on the back of the box. That doesn't mean they're bad recipes, mind you, and typically they're actually really good mixtures of the product since if you do make it they want you to love it enough to keep buying their product to make it.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Anticheese posted:

NZ is pretty big on pies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7UX8KASASU

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET
Like ten years ago, as a methodology test, I ran a blind study between six fudge recipes and the winner was a minor variation of a product formula. (chocolate chips IIRC)

Some product recipes are really good!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Barudak posted:

They're 100% marketing; they're on the back of the box. That doesn't mean they're bad recipes, mind you, and typically they're actually really good mixtures of the product since if you do make it they want you to love it enough to keep buying their product to make it.

Also, often they'll also call for ingredients that are other products in their family of foods. Like this recipe, it's on Campbell's site but they specifically mention Pepperidge Farm stuffing, because the same company owns both brands:

http://www.campbellskitchen.com/recipes/country-chicken-casserole-24569?fm=recipes_recent

edit: Regarding product recipes being good, they get quite a few from contests where regular folks come up with them. In the 70's my mom submitted a recipe for a baked beans & pork chops casserole that won. She got a set of copper pots, but lost all rights to ever submit or publish that exact recipe; it's now the property of that canned bean company. Basically the companies get recipe ideas and free R&D testing from the same busy moms who will buy their product for convenience. Pretty smart.

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 16:25 on Apr 20, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Product recipes actually tend to be pretty good, because they obviously want whatever it makes to taste good, so you buy more to make it again. I got a chili recipe from a pack of ground beef that I still use now.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Choco1980 posted:

Video Games have seemingly been one of the worst marketed things in my life time, and I say that as a guy who's always been a gamer, since like, before he could even read. It often felt like (especially in the 90's) that the PR departments actually had never played a game and had zero insight into gamer culture. Then there was the mid-90's where everything in ads became edgy, such as the infamous sega ads that looked like poorly masked technical instructions for masturbation. I even remember a Garfield game, which was about as kiddy aimed as a platformer would be in the late 90's, where the ad focused entirely on the fact that cats could lick their own genitals.

Video games have the worst marketing imaginable.

There's a lot of classic examples where they just didn't even know how to approach it:

But even modern game advertising, where games are now pretty mainstream and shouldn't be that much of a mystery to market, is really really awful. Most games titles are really awkward and make no sense if you're not already familiar with the series or the IP. Game ads don't explain the game at all and usually focus on the wrong things.

Not to mention all the pure-CG bullshitting that goes on in games marketing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Zaphod42 posted:

"in-game footage" = "in-game footage from an older, highly optimized build that was made for the purpose of making clips for trailers. recorded on absurdly powerful dev PCs rather than the console listed" ?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

It's because most people--customer and business side alike--are dumbasses who want to see games as something directly comparable to movies in the pop culture sphere as something classy and spectacle-driven and have no formal understanding of what separates a game from any other form of media, so they fall back on pretty visuals and it usually works out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

canyoneer posted:

"in-game footage" = "in-game footage from an older, highly optimized build that was made for the purpose of making clips for trailers. recorded on absurdly powerful dev PCs rather than the console listed" ?

I don't even mind that half as much as the pure CG "this is an outsourced video made by a movie studio that has nothing to do with us, we used it as inspiration"

Like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ajPL3Kna4 "Gameplay Trailer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g22iiQurkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wlvYh0h63k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSi2LDkyKmI

And the most famous of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-4HNmuEAKg

None of those videos is anything other than pure Pixar style CG, made entirely with assets appearing nowhere in the game. Most of those were made long before the game ever even started development.

Compared to those, tech demos that are running on vastly overpowered hardware that don't have to do with real gameplay like MGS5 or Battlefront don't even bother me. At least those are showing off real tech that'll be in-game; although its bullshit if they try to make it look like its gameplay when it obviously isn't.

Although it does seem like audiences aren't falling for the pure-CG bullshit as much anymore, so maybe the in-engine-but-not-really is just the new version of that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

While it's obviously not in-engine, it actually looks pretty similar to the real game. They move a lot like the actual models, the perspective is mostly exactly what you'd get from the game, and the bit where Scorpion whacks Sub-Zero with a branch is an actual mechanic Netherealms was highlighting in the marketing. Even the bit where you see inside Sub-Zero to watch his bones snap looks close to the X-Ray attacks.

Nothing about this misrepresents the game, honestly. The whole thing's there, it's just gussied up.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

While it's obviously not in-engine, it actually looks pretty similar to the real game. They move a lot like the actual models, the perspective is mostly exactly what you'd get from the game, and the bit where Scorpion whacks Sub-Zero with a branch is an actual mechanic Netherealms was highlighting in the marketing. Even the bit where you see inside Sub-Zero to watch his bones snap looks close to the X-Ray attacks.

Nothing about this misrepresents the game, honestly. The whole thing's there, it's just gussied up.

Yeah but its rendered at an impossibly high standard, all the animations are extremely custom and unique instead of only having a handful of repeated animations, and the fighting doesn't flow anything like either a casual or professional fighting game does, its just meant to look dramatic.

You're right they do show off some actual game features like using environment attacks or the x-ray, although they make both look way better than they are in the game. And you could say the same things about the Madden video showing off what football would look like :jerkbag:

Don't get me wrong, I'm actually enjoying MKX quite a bit. Its the best MK game in forever. But that trailer doesn't use a single asset from the real game, and things like the particle effects are just impossible in a real-time scenario right now. And I remember when that trailer aired and my response was :rolleyes:, it didn't actually get me excited for the game at all from a marketing standpoint. Show me actual fighting gameplay with good design on the mechanics and you've got my attention. (Watching gameplay trailers after release is what sold me on the game after the CG had turned me off)

The worst thing about all the pre-rendered CG as marketing is when the game box itself is covered in "screenshots" of the CG and doesn't actually show what the real game looks like. I know a lot of people that were burned on game purchases because of underhanded tactics like that. Which I guess is why there's such a big video game review market out there, but they're all garbage so...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It always annoys me when I'm looking at a game on Steam and the videos either don't show gameplay, or just show tiny flashes of it between bits of cutscene or whatever. I don't care about your epic story of heroism and whatever, I just want to see what playing the game is actually like.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

Even worse are the Game of War/Clash of Clan adverts on TV. No gameplay footage, not even cutscene footage - just some CG cartoon of what the game might look like in your imagination. I've seen endless ads for those games and still have no idea what they look like to play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dr Scoofles posted:

Even worse are the Game of War/Clash of Clan adverts on TV. No gameplay footage, not even cutscene footage - just some CG cartoon of what the game might look like in your imagination. I've seen endless ads for those games and still have no idea what they look like to play.

Mobile games in general are really notorious for this, I guess because their real graphics can't hold a candle to modern console or PC graphics, so the marketing department is afraid it'll look bad and turn people off or something? :shrug: If that's how the game looks people are gonna find out eventually.

Oh, and then there's these things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHskC7JRL9M

Its pretty crazy how much money they put into that marketing video ($40M), considering the actual game looks like it was made on a $100k budget. Seriously what the gently caress? :v:

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Apr 20, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dr Scoofles posted:

It's quite depressing that attractive women with large breasts are being used to sell games.

Yes it works (I am not that naive), but come on. A little bit of sublety, please. At least some pretence that she there are something other than a conveyance of a pair of boobs.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Did someone say selling video games using boobs?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
"We need to sell something and our target demographic is men? Slap some tits on it. Just plaster tits everywhere."

Marketing to men since the dawn of time.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

This dude is taking a new tack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRACK-ROCK-...=item4638a862f0

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

I just bought this and I don't even own a Genesis.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

Dr Scoofles posted:

Stolen Age of Empires assets IIRC.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHskC7JRL9M

Its pretty crazy how much money they put into that marketing video ($40M), considering the actual game looks like it was made on a $100k budget. Seriously what the gently caress? :v:

Game Of War is making $1MM a day, it's obscene.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ChaosArgate posted:

I'll be honest, nine bucks is a fair price for Pacman 2. about what I would expect most dealers selling it for.

Also, I did some digging and I managed to find that Garfield ad I was talking about.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Dr Scoofles posted:

From the ads, it looks like a badly done minotaur and a blonde woman wearing an evening gown going off to fight it.

Maybe a prom dress. It is pretty low cut for max cleavage.

Me, I love the laser hair removal ads. It always starts with someone saying how super busy they are and who has TIME to shave their legs, right ladies? So get LASER HAIR REMOVAL and throw away all your razors and never shave again and save time! Oh BTW you have to go to multiple sessions to see results and then keep coming back so you really don't save any time at all.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

From the ads, it looks like a badly done minotaur and a blonde woman wearing an evening gown going off to fight it.

Maybe a prom dress. It is pretty low cut for max cleavage.

Me, I love the laser hair removal ads. It always starts with someone saying how super busy they are and who has TIME to shave their legs, right ladies? So get LASER HAIR REMOVAL and throw away all your razors and never shave again and save time! Oh BTW you have to go to multiple sessions to see results and then keep coming back so you really don't save any time at all.

Wait, laser hair removal doesn't work?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

pentyne posted:

Wait, laser hair removal doesn't work?

It does, but it's not just a stop in and never have hair there again. You have to make multiple appointments in order to get it all, and get it entirely. I think this process is also more difficult the darker your hair is, as well.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

It does, but it's not just a stop in and never have hair there again. You have to make multiple appointments in order to get it all, and get it entirely. I think this process is also more difficult the darker your hair is, as well.

It takes between 5~20 sessions for most people to get 95% of the hair, it works better for darker hair.
After that, you go to electrolysis, which is just jabbing an electric needle in the skin. Only need to do it once though!

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
It does but it takes a LOT of sessions to clear a large area like a leg. And it may not be as permanent as advertised. And it only works decently if you have a combo of dark hair and fair skin, so it doesn't work very well for white blondes or red heads or most people of color. The advantages are that sessions are shorter and requires a lot less manual labor than electrolysis, depending on area may be cheaper, and depending on person may be less painful than electrolysis. I believe laser also doesn't require you to have the hair grown out to a certain length like electrolysis does (have to be able to grasp the hair and insert the electrode).

Electrolysis is slower and more labor intensive but it works on any hair and skin color and is definitely permanent. Some people find it really painful while others find it to be no big deal.

Hair follicles are surprisingly resilient and even an electrolysized one may eventually heal enough to grow again, but it's less common than any other method.

pienipple has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Apr 21, 2015

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The Console Wars book goes into a little about how this came to pass.
Consoles straddled quite a few markets as it wasn't quite an electronic toy and not quite a typical entertainment device like a CD player in an industry that had completely imploded with the console crash and no one wanted to touch it.
Kids got it, adults didn't which sort of set the stage as SEGA clawed it's way to get market domination by pushing through the image that Nintendo was something your younger brother would play and then hooked into the MTV trend to push the "punk rock" feel across during the mid 90's to capture kids entering their teens.

Those ads pretty much defined the stage for video game advertising as you were targeting an incredibly switched on audience who, much like today's millennials, were becoming very very aware of marketing. And the ad campaigns had to deal with a shifting age bracket and try not to sell it as being "too young".

The book gets amusing at the end when Sony starts gate-crashing SEGA's PR events by flooding areas with PS branded balloons and napkins, which ironically upset the SEGA people who saw it as crossing the line, despite their many ad stunts designed to poo poo on Nintendo's presence at trade fairs.

And SONY kept it up with 1999's infamous Nipples advert being aware that kids were getting out of their teens.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, every single thing about the earliest days of Sony's presence in the console wars as the brash young upstarts is hilarious. I think my favorite is the overall creation of the Playstation though. See, when Nintendo were just starting to take off in video games with Donkey Kong and whatnot, they had at one point approached Atari with an idea they had to make a new 8-bit system, much more powerful than the 2600. Atari was like "nah, we're good bro" (and were notoriously less about innovation as much as milking as much money over what they saw as a fad with a limited shelf life as they could). Then Nintendo made the NES, and ended up single-handedly turning the entire business of video games around, recovering from the disasterous way Atari mismanaged things as the top company. (Atari would even go on and make the 7800 as an attempt to compete with the NES, but it was too little, too late). In the mid 90's, right in the heat of the Nintendo-Sega wars, Nintendo started talks of teaming up with electronics giant Sony to make a new disc based system as an add-on to the Super Nintendo, much in the way that the Sega-CD was for the Genesis. They got so far as to showing the press mock-up drawings of what the "SNES-2" would look like. Then they decided to drop everything suddenly and began work on a new cartridge system instead, which would eventually become the N64. I don't know why they chose to do that, maybe because the Sega-CD was the first real misstep of Sega, with a very small selection of expensive-to-make games, with a very small percentage of which were actually very good games. (Seriously, there's like, less than a dozen system exclusive games I considered great, and probably some of those were matters of opinion). So Sony, who had already put in an effort in making this new system, decided they'd take a page from Nintendo's history, and do the same thing, released the Playstation, and eventually winning that generation (and arguably the next) of the console wars, doing to Nintendo what Nintendo did to Atari!

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Choco1980 posted:

In the mid 90's, right in the heat of the Nintendo-Sega wars, Nintendo started talks of teaming up with electronics giant Sony to make a new disc based system as an add-on to the Super Nintendo, much in the way that the Sega-CD was for the Genesis. They got so far as to showing the press mock-up drawings of what the "SNES-2" would look like. Then they decided to drop everything suddenly and began work on a new cartridge system instead, which would eventually become the N64. I don't know why they chose to do that, maybe because the Sega-CD was the first real misstep of Sega, with a very small selection of expensive-to-make games, with a very small percentage of which were actually very good games.

Close, but not quite. The reason Sony went 'gently caress you, we're gonna make our own console' is because they found out Nintendo was shopping around the add-on idea and bringing it to competitors. Nintendo then started working with Phillips, with the SNES add-on transforming over time into a standalone CD-based console made by Phillips, with rights to use Nintendo properties for games.

I think we all know how that went.

A similar idea manifested and actually got released in Japan as the 64DD, a magnetic disk add-on for the Nintendo 64. Despite being a total flop the 64DD actually has an important legacy, with one of the few games released for it being the original Animal Crossing, which later got ported to the Gamecube. Three other cancelled games also turned into fairly important end products later on, with two separate Ocarina of Time expansions transforming into Master Quest and Majora's Mask, and the intended Mother 3 later finding a home on the Game Boy Advance (the 64DD version of Mother 3 is also to thank for Mother's continued presence in Smash Bros; Melee was being developed at the same time, and they intended to replace Ness with Mother 3 protagonist Lucas, then switched Ness back in when Mother 3 was cancelled).

Video game history is kind of my thing, I know way too much about it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And the whole reason Atari dumped the NES and gave Nintendo any kind of foothold in the western market in the first place was because an Atari executive was at a trade show and saw a Colecovision playing Donkey Kong. Now, Nintendo had licensed that version before they had even begun development on their own console hardware, much less approached Atari to distribute it, but the exec immediately went back to HQ and said "Cancel the deal, those Japanese can't be trusted."

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Choco1980 posted:

(and arguably the next)

Sixth gen has nothing arguably about it. The PS2 slapped both the Xbox and Gamecube around with ease. It's still the best-selling game console of all time, and the only things even in the same league are the original DS and the original Game Boy.

For comparison, the PS2 sold over 155 million units. The closest competitor from that generation, the Xbox, sold 24 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

There was a particular single-page Earthbound ad in some magazine (gamepro?) that was scratch and sniff and really stands out to me as the most bizarrely misdirected ad ever. Just like this one it was aiming hard at the garbage pail kids demographic and the scent was something akin to sulphur mixed with vinegar. I remember this because it was overpoweringly strong and tended to bleed all over the surrounding pages if you lived in a damp climate, effectively passing the sulphur smell on to the entire magazine.

Tiggum posted:

It always annoys me when I'm looking at a game on Steam and the videos either don't show gameplay, or just show tiny flashes of it between bits of cutscene or whatever. I don't care about your epic story of heroism and whatever, I just want to see what playing the game is actually like.

AN EPIC QUEST
<nonsequitor randomness or a dramatic still of a dialog box>
A HERO WILL RISE
<after effects stock fire>
THE ULTIMATE JOURNEY
<10 seconds of an RPGmaker battle from one of the how-to-edit examples>
NOW AVAILABLE ON STEAM EARLY ACCESS

If I wasn't on a phone I'd dig up and post the Factorio trailer because it's probably the most perfect 'look at all the stuff you do in this game' pitch I've ever seen, and the music owns.