Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

It would probably be good if say, just the random drops or generic weapons scaled to your level, but uniques or quest rewards were always fixed.

I kind of like how Etrian Odyssey handled requirements though. Supposedly the way it works in that game, weapons have minimum stat requirements to get the full damage out of. You can still equip them no matter what, but you lose some proportional % effectiveness if you don't meet the requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, is this actually confirmed or is it just rumour running rampant?

Also, having scaling leveled weapons leads to the worrying idea that they'll also have scaling leveled enemies, which in my mind is even worse.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

They've said multiple times, and in that same quoted article even, that monster's won't scale with your level.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm still to this day heartbroken that Saints Row had to take out their big floppy dong physics. Why do women get all the jiggle physics?

The dicks would move out of the censor bar or something.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It would probably be good if say, just the random drops or generic weapons scaled to your level, but uniques or quest rewards were always fixed.

I kind of like how Etrian Odyssey handled requirements though. Supposedly the way it works in that game, weapons have minimum stat requirements to get the full damage out of. You can still equip them no matter what, but you lose some proportional % effectiveness if you don't meet the requirements.

Having uniques stay a set level would be good. Or have weapons scale down to you so they aren't too powerful, but still go back to what they're supposed to be like when you reach the level you're meant to have it. Like you can't quite handle it properly because you suck too much.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Divinity: Original Sin had item scaling in an interesting way. Each item had a level, and applied a penalty to you (weapons consumed extra action points for each attack, etc) if you were below that level, with the penalty lessening as you got closer. It was neat in that it gave the feeling of you just not being quite badass enough yet to use it to its fullest potential, rather than the weapon itself just arbitrarily being weaker.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Gamespot is doing a doc series on W3. You can see bits of combat, there's talk about the tutorial area (island?) and you can see random shots of Warsaw with 80s filter. They could've removed it and it still would be the worst city in the whole country.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Terminally Bored posted:

Gamespot is doing a doc series on W3. You can see bits of combat, there's talk about the tutorial area (island?) and you can see random shots of Warsaw with 80s filter. They could've removed it and it still would be the worst city in the whole country.

I thought the tutorial was going to be Ciri's training at Kaer Morhen.
Can someone explain to me why people are always complaining about Witcher 2 sucking at teaching you the combat before they added the tutorial?
There's a popup telling you you can use E to block and a successful block will cost vigor, what more could you want to know about it :confused:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
People are loving dense, that's why.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
In the previous Witcher and most other games, you can take on multiple enemies at once. In Witcher 2, you will be killed quickly, even if you block. It's a lot, lot, LOT easier to dodge constantly and get backstabs in, something the game never tells you to try.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

They've said multiple times, and in that same quoted article even, that monster's won't scale with your level.

I'm sure the really good weapons will be hidden behind all the tougher monsters and in the harder areas, so I don't actually think the weapon scaling will be an issue.

Plus is there crafting in this game?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Terminally Bored posted:

People are loving dense, that's why.

To be fair, you could also get roasted by a dragon in the prologue as your first action in the game, especially before they locked the option. The game's come a long way in terms of accessibility.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Suspicious posted:

In the previous Witcher and most other games, you can take on multiple enemies at once. In Witcher 2, you will be killed quickly, even if you block. It's a lot, lot, LOT easier to dodge constantly and get backstabs in, something the game never tells you to try.

Game tells you about dodging as well, though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Whoops, SA broke.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm replaying Witcher 2 right now and a lot of the game's tutorial messages pop up in the top left corner right as you're actually doing something, so without a pause it's real easy to miss stuff like combat tips if you're actually focusing on what's happening in the game. It's not the worst thing in the world, but there's definitely a better way to do that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, that was a problem. When the game first came out tutorials would appear and disappear instantly because you were going around Foltest's camp, looting everything. Tutorials are a tricky thing. Playing it back to back you really don't give a poo poo but brand new or after a while you'll want them. I think the arena tutorial for The Witcher 2 was the best middle ground, except it was buggy as heck.

As for the items, I said my piece but I just wanted to add that I found it extremely funny that getting Aerondight from the Lady of the Lake was made up as a huge deal then when you turn in the last trophy to the royal huntsman you just drop that poo poo in a dank cave for the Moonblade. Welp, this mighty sword helped me for a day, time to use some random human's hunting sword now. Or maybe it was Geralt's destiny to drop that sword in front of the royal huntsman so he would use it. :tinfoil:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

OAquinas posted:

To be fair, you could also get roasted by a dragon in the prologue as your first action in the game, especially before they locked the option. The game's come a long way in terms of accessibility.

That must've been pre-EE. What?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

That must've been pre-EE. What?

When the game was first released, all parts of the prologue were unlocked and selectable. So you start the game, get hauled into interrogation, see the "What about the Dragon" option and go "ooh, dragon!" and then marvel at the graphics as you get engulfed in fire and try to figure out how to move and where to go and die horribly because you don't know how to cast quen or know what the hell is going on. :3: :flame:

After a wee bit of feedback CDPR locked the dragon option so you have to do most of the prologue first before you see it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

OAquinas posted:

When the game was first released, all parts of the prologue were unlocked and selectable. So you start the game, get hauled into interrogation, see the "What about the Dragon" option and go "ooh, dragon!" and then marvel at the graphics as you get engulfed in fire and try to figure out how to move and where to go and die horribly because you don't know how to cast quen or know what the hell is going on. :3: :flame:

After a wee bit of feedback CDPR locked the dragon option so you have to do most of the prologue first before you see it.

What kind of monster selects the second to last or so option in a dialog that obviously will tell a story?

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, that was a problem. When the game first came out tutorials would appear and disappear instantly because you were going around Foltest's camp, looting everything. Tutorials are a tricky thing. Playing it back to back you really don't give a poo poo but brand new or after a while you'll want them. I think the arena tutorial for The Witcher 2 was the best middle ground, except it was buggy as heck.

As for the items, I said my piece but I just wanted to add that I found it extremely funny that getting Aerondight from the Lady of the Lake was made up as a huge deal then when you turn in the last trophy to the royal huntsman you just drop that poo poo in a dank cave for the Moonblade. Welp, this mighty sword helped me for a day, time to use some random human's hunting sword now. Or maybe it was Geralt's destiny to drop that sword in front of the royal huntsman so he would use it. :tinfoil:

Come on, it's not like the tutorials instantly disappear.
What, you just keep running around while there's a popup-message telling you how to use your medaillon?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Terminally Bored posted:

They could've removed it and it still would be the worst city in the whole country.

I keep saying that Krakow is the next big tourist spot. Warsaw... do you like banks? If so, I've got a town for you. (It's warsaw)

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Then that's really dumb, because it means if you, for example, go to the hardest location in the game and manage to kill all the enemies using skill/ingenuity/exploits or whatever, your reward is going to be a piece of poo poo that you could have gotten just as easily by going to any other area in the game. At least levelled enemies & levelled items makes a kind of sense, because it means (theoretically) you'll always be facing enemies of your strength and getting an appropriate award; fixed enemies and levelled items means the reward will almost never be appropriate for the challenge.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Comte, any chance you could clear up the whole item level situation for us? Does it scale or not?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I would imagine that he would have said something about it if he could.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Or if I knew, I've been in the US for the past two weeks and haven't played the game. That said, and don't quote me on this (or anything), I think it's just referring to the items you get from quest rewards, not the ones you find in the world.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
CDProjekt insider confirms: The Witcher: Wild III Hunt quest rewards won't be worth it!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

CDProjekt insider confirms slams game: The Witcher: Wild III Hunt quest rewards won't be worth it! (Is it connected to the DLCs? The insider refused to comment.)

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I was stupid and pre-ordered the game and the expansion. If this turns out to be crap I shall have to find a way to invade Poland.
Also, anyone interested in trading me a decent game for this copy of NWN Diamonds?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i thought 2 was really fun and have high hopes for 3, especially if i can be a huge impartial dick the entire game

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuZ5YkXVEvk

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/exploring-the-vast-world-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hun/2300-6424516/

Shows off the "botchling" which I don't think has been seen before.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Charles Dance is boss, hth.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

GrossMurpel posted:

What kind of monster selects the second to last or so option in a dialog that obviously will tell a story?

I still have no idea why they let you do the prologue out of order.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Please somehow deliver unto us an hour of Charles Dance trying to play your game.

Also I can only imagine Danny O'dwyer bitching about having to drive thirty minutes out of SF to film that video intro.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
If I were able to afford rent in SF I'd complain every time I left, too.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

After watching the first few seconds, I hope Witcher 3 has more women shouting at an ear-splitting pitch and volume than 2.
Love that poo poo.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I'd like to imagine that there's a secret dialogue tree in the game where you can listen to the emperor of Nilfgaard talk about the wonders of video games.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Man, that overworld map looks loving huge :stare:

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Book readers, what's the deal with the Nilfgaardian emperor? What's his story and how does it relate to Ciri and Geralt?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Senjuro posted:

Book readers, what's the deal with the Nilfgaardian emperor? What's his story and how does it relate to Ciri and Geralt?

Ciri is a child of prophecy and he wants her for that, plus he wants her to solidify land claims in some of the lands Nilgaard conquered as she is the last living member of the royal family of Cintra.

Ciri is kind of Geralt's adoptive daughter, so obviously he takes issue with Nilfgaard abducting her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Ciri is a child of prophecy and he wants her for that, plus he wants her to solidify land claims in some of the lands Nilgaard conquered as she is the last living member of the royal family of Cintra.

Ciri is kind of Geralt's adoptive daughter, so obviously he takes issue with Nilfgaard abducting her.
Ciri is also Emhyr's daughter. And the last chance to sire a child of the prophecy. Which he intended to do with her.

Dot dot dot.

I'm really rather fond of the initial two short story collections, but I think that turning the Witcher saga into a five-book epic about Ciri was the wrong idea entirely. Hope the focus on Ciri doesn't mess up the game narrative.

• Locked thread