Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

psylent posted:

Here's a bunch more of my "Just Finished" runner photos. It was a pretty drat hot and humid day which resulted in some extra sweaty people. The older dude here is 91!

I'm really enjoying these!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsimp
Mar 16, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Here's a first set of some portraits I took of some friends last weekend. I was experimenting taking portraits with a wide open aperture, which is something I've never done.

I really like these, I think wide open portraiture is definitely what I enjoy the most. I haven't gotten to shoot a whole lot lately, but I did get to take some head shots for some friends the other day, like yours, mine are wide open. f/1.8 at a 75mm focal equivalent. I really like how they turned out, I got a couple of lights from an old family friend on the cheap, and he gave me some backdrops for free. This was my first time using them, I really think they will work for me for a while.

FINAL-0532 by Tyler M. Simpson, on Flickr

FINAL-0579 by Tyler M. Simpson, on Flickr

FINAL-0576 by Tyler M. Simpson, on Flickr

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Were these professional headshots or just for fun? The first one doesn't do much for me, but the 2nd and 3rd are on the right track. The 3rd in particular is nice- the hands serve as nice element to bring out the split lighting.

That said, I think the dark areas are too dark on 2/3. You should consider lightening them up a bit. It's particularly distracting on the 3rd because there's stuff on his glasses catching the hair light. At the very least try brushing that stuff out.

On all 3, I can't tell if you missed focus or if the lens is just soft at 1.8. Either way you should consider stopping down 1/3-2/3 of a stop to gain some sharpness. It will make a little noticeable difference in DOF but the in-focus bits will look a lot nicer.

Tsimp
Mar 16, 2012

Fart Car '97 posted:

Were these professional headshots or just for fun?

Just for fun, my first time taking headshots as well as my first time using lighting. I do feel that the lens is really soft at 1.8, next time I was thinking of going with 2.8 to see how that goes. I was experimenting with different lighting setups, I was using two lights for most of these, I think I just need practice to get it just right. The dust on the glasses is diffidently something that I missed until I brought them into lightroom to edit. Next time I will be sure to be more aware of things like that. Thank you for the feed back!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Also wanted to say I liked both of these. I kind of wish you'd had a wider lens on the first one because the cliffs feel compressed and it takes away from the scale, but that's my only complaint. The second one is nice, I think burning the windows signs? out of the background might improve it a little.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 14, 2015

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Window light best light.

Deluxe by McMadCow, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Claire
by SPV Photo, on Flickr

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

thetzar posted:

I'm really enjoying these!
Cheers! I'm shooting a night run on Monday so I'm going to have to get a bit more creative with lighting. Really looking forward to it.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

Window light best light.

Deluxe by McMadCow, on Flickr

The second is much stronger. Her expression and the light on her face in the first is not as flattering.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

digging the sense of movement you've got going here, and I like that I can't see her face.

Engagement session today. Wish we would've started earlier or waited until late afternoon. 10am was too late, light wise.

NKPH8528 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

NKPH9017 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

NKPH8680 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

dakana posted:

digging the sense of movement you've got going here, and I like that I can't see her face.

Engagement session today. Wish we would've started earlier or waited until late afternoon. 10am was too late, light wise.

NKPH8528 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

NKPH9017 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

I feel like these are some pretty iffy focus.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Pukestain Pal posted:

I feel like these are some pretty iffy focus.

I don't think so. Might be Flickr's nonsense or something.

100% crops:

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
I'd still add a bit a sharpening and see what that does for you. They feel a little flat to me too, but that's just preference.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

dakana posted:

Thank you! Yeah, I thought it worked best as if we're peeking in on a private moment.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

dakana posted:

I don't think so. Might be Flickr's nonsense or something.

100% crops:

With these crops they look like a Specsavers advert.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

torgeaux posted:

The second is much stronger. Her expression and the light on her face in the first is not as flattering.

Disagree. The close eye and shadow on the near side of the face in the first one are great.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

voodoorootbeer posted:

Disagree. The close eye and shadow on the near side of the face in the first one are great.

Well according to her you're both wrong! :v:
I've shot with this model a bunch of times, but with this past shoot she started to feel like her age was showing. Which I of course found to be ridiculous, but that's how it goes.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Inn at Cedar Crossing by TomOlson, on Flickr

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

McMadCow posted:

I've shot with this model a bunch of times, but with this past shoot she started to feel like her age was showing. Which I of course found to be ridiculous, but that's how it goes.

She's not going to read this is she? Because that's why I thought the second was better. She appears older (and unhappy) in the first.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Dat range doe. :swoon:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Her age is showing. I don't see what that has to do with the quality of the portraits though? I prefer the first over the second, the posing is more interesting.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

I saw this on flickr last night but I just saw the hands now :stare:

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Skizzzer posted:

:unsmith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Skizzzer posted:

Wait what do you mea- whoooa

drat RS that rules

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

I don't see what that has to do with the quality of the portraits though?

It doesn't matter to me, no. The only thing I care about when making a portrait is whether or not it's interesting, and hopefully the model is confident enough to want to be a part of something like that.
But since the talk was centering around whether or not the lighting and pose was flattering her, I figured I'd chip in with her thoughts on the matter.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Couple of dudes in fur coats

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

I BLEW $74K IN KICKSTARTER MONEY AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS UGLY AVATAR
i'm just amazed at how this came out without any editing besides your basic contrast/saturation

IMG_7670.jpg by kidkissinger, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

bencreateddisco posted:

i'm just amazed at how this came out without any editing besides your basic contrast/saturation

IMG_7670.jpg by kidkissinger, on Flickr

I like to call her Bike-Butt (sorry).

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

Spedman posted:

I like to call her Bike-Butt (sorry).

nah, it's a sloppy background

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think this turned out OK, but I'm awful at pictures

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

The most prominently lit/contrasty thing in the picture is the blackboard and stuff in the background. Guess where the eye goes immediately?

The guy looks stiff and uncomfortable and he's basically one big shadow when set against the brightness of the background. It's not that flattering a picture to me because of those things.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Phone posted:

I think this turned out OK, but I'm awful at pictures

I would try this one as Black and White.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'd try dragging it into the trash can where it belongs.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What comes on a Triforce Plate?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

DJExile posted:

What comes on a Triforce Plate?

shame

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
it's a mixed green salad and there's a 1/10 chance of it containing a bee

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

feigning interest posted:

it's a mixed green salad and there's a 1/10 chance of it containing a bee

the one thing I know isn't on it is chicken,

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

IMG_8982.jpg by kidkissinger, on Flickr

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

A) You missed focus. It appears to be on his eyebrows and not his eyes.
B) You should stop down to bring the heel into focus as along with his eyes. I don't think the low DOF adds much to the shot.
C) The crop is too tight, I spent too much time trying to figure out what was on his head. Could also have been caused by the missed focus/short DOF causing the heel to be out of focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bencreateddisco
Dec 7, 2011

Fart Car '97 posted:

A) You missed focus. It appears to be on his eyebrows and not his eyes.
B) You should stop down to bring the heel into focus as along with his eyes. I don't think the low DOF adds much to the shot.
C) The crop is too tight, I spent too much time trying to figure out what was on his head. Could also have been caused by the missed focus/short DOF causing the heel to be out of focus.

It was a self portrait, but I could have taken steps to get the focus better, stopping down would have probably helped.

I agree that the crop is a little tight.