Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

mastershakeman posted:

Someone's strength doesn't have anything to do with their strength?

No, you said, and I quote "Hell, you shouldn't be able to pull a jean valjean and lift a carriage off of someone with an 8 in str." Your dangling participle indicates that the person under the cart has an 8 in strength, and therefore the valiant original subject of the sentence shouldn't be able to get the cart off them.

I figured this out even though I have an 8 in wisdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you as the DM were going to disallow the player from rolling on a "lift the cart" action because their character is "not strong", that's still an argument against the use of ability scores
I'm pretty sure both of my 5e DMs (who are cool people trying to make the best of a system that isn't really doing anything to help them out) basically just go by gut feel on all skill rolls anyway, so that's not far off.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ImpactVector posted:

I'm pretty sure both of my 5e DMs (who are cool people trying to make the best of a system that isn't really doing anything to help them out) basically just go by gut feel on all skill rolls anyway, so that's not far off.

Assigning DCs is a lot like that platitude about flipping a coin and realizing what you really want as soon as you throw it.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

theironjef posted:

Why is this argument always about smart fighters and strong wizards? Never once have I seen someone want to play like an especially charismatic priest.

Also why do people think that playing a buff wizard is like extra-special good roleplaying?

My biggest argument against ability scores being tied to skills is because it's arbitrary as to what the subtle differences between the different scores do or mean. You see strength vs. constitution, intelligence vs. wisdom, sometimes even wisdom and charisma or strength and dexterity ("you can roll an Athletics OR Acrobatics check" is common at my table). Should perception be tied to wisdom? Can't smart people be alert or be able to pick up on things because they're smart? My character dumps intelligence but primaries wisdom, shouldn't that count as his "smarts?" What does "nature" fall under: wisdom or intelligence? "Dungeoneering?" Why do all the divine classes make intelligence their dumpstat mechanically when Religion is tied to it skill-wise?

It's all terribly frustrating.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
4e's skill array was often baffling and very wizard-friendly. Next's is no better.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Once you remove stats, and just have skills or abilities, you then get to choose your own justification for why you're good at something.

Roleplaying!

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Mecha Gojira posted:

My biggest argument against ability scores being tied to skills is because it's arbitrary as to what the subtle differences between the different scores do or mean.

I'm a fan of this argument as well. Like, what score should dictate my ability to climb a cliff face? Is it strength, which dictates how easily I can pull myself up? Is it dexterity, for being flexible enough to climb some of the tricky up-side-down parts? Is it constitution, because a long climb tires out even the best of athletes? Is it wisdom, because sometimes on a new climb you just have to feel out the best path to take up? Is it intelligence, which lets me methodically figure out which rocks and cracks to use? Hell, it might even be charisma, using my sheer force of person to convince myself that I can do this difficult climb.

That's why 13th age's background system is cool. Just write 'Climber, +5' on your sheet and be done with it. (yes, 13th age also has ability scores, but I'm pretending we're using DTAS)

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

thespaceinvader posted:

4e's skill array was often baffling and very wizard-friendly. Next's is no better.

Well, my prime go-to example is still that Divine Class/Intelligence Dump Stat/Religion problem, and it carried right on over to Next. My DM even once tried to throw my cleric in 4e a bone with a Religion check, and I just straight up told him it wasn't going to happen without a half-decent roll.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And then they made nature into survival-but-still-a-knowledge-skill by making it key off of wisdom. And Dungeoneering keyed off of wisdom as well so battlewise fighter would have something to do, occasionally.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mecha Gojira posted:

Well, my prime go-to example is still that Divine Class/Intelligence Dump Stat/Religion problem, and it carried right on over to Next. My DM even once tried to throw my cleric in 4e a bone with a Religion check, and I just straight up told him it wasn't going to happen without a half-decent roll.
This literally just happened in my 4E game where the party members were sequentially trying to impress a dracolich with tales of their prowess so that it would let them pass. I told everyone that they could use any skill they wanted if they came up with a plausible explanation. The cleric's player, who is all about doing what his character would do, used a religion roll to represent him summoning a divine flame from his god and talking about how he turned the tide of a battle by calling an avatar of his deity. He botched the roll.

I said gently caress that poo poo and had him roll 1d20 + 1/2 level + Wisdom, because whatever the merits of Religion being INT-based (like how the most faithful are not always the most familiar with doctrine or dogma) him failing that Religion roll would have been stupid.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

So I was giving ability scores a lot of thought today and it's actually pretty amazing how far the rabbit hole goes.

One of the most/worst grog thing about Ability Scores is that they don't accurately model any kind of human competence. In real life people don't have a high or low strength score; there are all kinds of strength, upper body and lower body, long and short twitch, and on and on. Dexterity is hopelessly broad - that represents manual dexterity, speed, accuracy (which, shouldn't that by tied to perception, really?) and on and on. I'm not really upset about that; DnD is a game, it should be a little gamey, but it's just important to note that they don't really model anything.

What they might model are narrative archetypes; if you have a high Strength score, you get to be Strong Hero or if you have a high Intelligence score you get to be Smart Hero and so forth. In a really vague way they represent a way to enforce the agency of a limited number of archetypes on the game world. But they don't really even do that; they represent, at most, a 25% additional chance to maybe get to enforce the agency of the archetype in question.

The disconnect happens when you try to embody the archetype using the wrong stat; or when you realize the variance on the D20 is way higher than what the actual scores grant you. Great, you want to play Hercules? Well, too bad, you only have a 15% greater chance of success than the guy next to you. You want to be Sherlock Holmes? Same problem.

Ability Scores used to be a great way to randomly generate a throwaway character. It was the roguelike method of character generation - throw some numbers into a pot and see how far you can get your little imaginary person to go. Increasing dependency on math to drive the game over weeks or months requires a greater level of equilibrium over the party. DnD is a game where dice get rolled a lot. It isn't a game where a character can have a lovely score and still contribute through his antics and efforts. Sidekicks don't do well in DnD because everything is generated on the fly with the RNG.

If the cost of standard arrays are the fact that my group doesn't get to enjoy a crazy powerhouse demigod character from time to time, sign me up. Playing with a superpowered character is fun sometimes but it gets old in the long term. DTAs, all the way.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

mastershakeman posted:

Yet this takes away from playing an ultra smart fighter or super strong wizard. The math expectation of optimization limits your choices. So instead of going back to a fixed math system like 4e, smooth out the bonuses so that it isn't required to max your primary stat or else.

Oh, so your solution is to make ability scores matter less relative to dice rolls, for instance by lowering the bonus they provide. A reasonable stance to take.

mastershakeman posted:

Hell, you shouldn't be able to pull a jean valjean and lift a carriage off of someone with an 8 in str, even if you did take the skill athletics. You should also be hitting things a bunch better and harder (than others of your class and level) if you're the strongest guy alive . etcetc. This isn't complicated

Oh, but a d20 allows for a lot of variance compared to how much of a bonus your ability scores provide. Currently, if you make it impossible for the weakling, you also make it so the literal strongest man alive will fail 80% of the time. So you're advocating to make ability scores matter more relative to dice rolls, for instance by increasing the bonus they provide. A reasonable stance to take.

Wait no. Those are exactly opposite and your "solutions" are incoherent garbage.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jimbozig posted:

Oh, so your solution is to make ability scores matter less relative to dice rolls, for instance by lowering the bonus they provide. A reasonable stance to take.

Oh, but a d20 allows for a lot of variance compared to how much of a bonus your ability scores provide. Currently, if you make it impossible for the weakling, you also make it so the literal strongest man alive will fail 80% of the time. So you're advocating to make ability scores matter more relative to dice rolls, for instance by increasing the bonus they provide. A reasonable stance to take.

Wait no. Those are exactly opposite and your "solutions" are incoherent garbage.

Probably because having a flat bonus to everything based on a attribute , while looking clean, isn't very good for multiple situations.

Let's go back to these days:

And splicer, while I appreciate the effortpost and understand your arguments, I just don't agree with a lot of it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Bend Bars/Lift Gates is the only skill you should ever need.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Oh yes, the good old days of charts

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

starkebn posted:

Oh yes, the good old days of charts

Correct.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

mastershakeman posted:

Probably because having a flat bonus to everything based on a attribute , while looking clean, isn't very good for multiple situations.
Look, if your argument is that rolling for attributes is good in a game that works nothing like D&D but rather is designed around that base of randomly generated attributes, then I totally agree with you.

Agent Boogeyman
Feb 17, 2005

"This cannot POSSIBLY be good. . ."
It's been a while since I've seen that chart, but am I reading it right that a character with an average STR of 10-11 (The average of a 3d6 random roll) only has a 30% chance to open a door?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
There was a note somewhere that they're talking about stuck, waterswollen, filthy dungeon doors. There's a certain hilarity in needing a fighter along because the dungeon door is jammed, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Agent Boogeyman posted:

It's been a while since I've seen that chart, but am I reading it right that a character with an average STR of 10-11 (The average of a 3d6 random roll) only has a 30% chance to open a door?

Consider that only a Fighter can open a door, and then you will have achieved true D&Dlightenment

starkebn
May 18, 2004

You realise you could use that for a skill like athletics that anybody could choose to take (take out + to hit and damage) and their core class competency would not be affected? I feel pluses to hit and damage should be reliant on Level, not attributes

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
Assuming I can convince my DM to let me retcon my Eldritch Knight into a Battlemaster Fighter/Abjuration Wizard, what are some actual good maneuvers? Feinting Attack seems to be the clear winner, and I think Maneuvering Attack could be useful in the right circumstance, but the rest of them seem pretty underwhelming.

Jesus. The reward for leveling up is more of these things and I can't even get through the initial allotment without scraping the bottom.

At least "Feinting Attack until dice used up/Shield when hit" will feel slightly more engaging than "Attack/Shield when hit," right?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Solid Jake posted:

Assuming I can convince my DM to let me retcon my Eldritch Knight into a Battlemaster Fighter/Abjuration Wizard, what are some actual good maneuvers? Feinting Attack seems to be the clear winner, and I think Maneuvering Attack could be useful in the right circumstance, but the rest of them seem pretty underwhelming.

Jesus. The reward for leveling up is more of these things and I can't even get through the initial allotment without scraping the bottom.

At least "Feinting Attack until dice used up/Shield when hit" will feel slightly more engaging than "Attack/Shield when hit," right?

Trip attack is pretty nice if you have other melee members of the team, because curbstomping an enemy grants advantage.
--

I'm sure this has been asked before, even possibly by me in this thread ages ago, but perhaps with time the answer has somewhat changed (even as generally ill-disposed towards 5e as this thread frequently is):
What does 5e genuinely do better, or in an interestingly different way, to 13th Age?
Newbie player and GM support is one thing, of course - that's part of the advantage of multiple books and a different approach to players.
Product support, because DnD is still probably going to have somewhat of a supplement treadmill.
But aside from those, where does 13th Age fall flat where 5e succeeds? I'm told 13th Age still manages to have some class balance problems, but I'm unsure how they compare to 5e class imbalance.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Solid Jake posted:

Feinting attack looks like it'd work with spell attacks, so that could be neat depending on your spell attack bonus.

e: For the rest, I think somebody (maybe either AlphaDog or gradenko_2000, but I could be wrong) did a rundown of which maneuvers are actually worth half a poo poo in either this or the early days of the newbie thread.

ImpactVector fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 21, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Solid Jake posted:

Feinting Attack is the best because it doubles your crit chance, is roughly equivalent to +5 to-hit, and the die roll still gets added to your damage roll.

Precision Attack is what you should use when you already have Advantage.

Trip Attack will let you give yourself and everyone else advantage, but it's not nearly as reliable as it could be since it still goes through a saving throw.

Distracting Strike is Feinting Attack for your friends.

Those are the top 4 and you can get by just using those. The utility of the rest all depend on how generous your DM is with Superiority Dice regeneration and how he stats up the monsters (i.e. saving throw chances for Disarming, Goading, Menacing, Pushing and Trip Attack).

bewilderment posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, even possibly by me in this thread ages ago, but perhaps with time the answer has somewhat changed (even as generally ill-disposed towards 5e as this thread frequently is):
What does 5e genuinely do better, or in an interestingly different way, to 13th Age?
Newbie player and GM support is one thing, of course - that's part of the advantage of multiple books and a different approach to players.
Product support, because DnD is still probably going to have somewhat of a supplement treadmill.
But aside from those, where does 13th Age fall flat where 5e succeeds? I'm told 13th Age still manages to have some class balance problems, but I'm unsure how they compare to 5e class imbalance.

13th Age has better skill support with its versatile backgrounds, better encounter building and monster creation rules, standardized skill check DCs (on par with 5e), better book layout for class mechanics/spells/abilities/feats, combat rules that actually support Theater of the Mind, and a 4e-esque "AEDU Powers" system rather than a traditional D&D spells system.

I honestly couldn't say that 5e does anything better than 13th Age. 13th Age does have class balance issues, but they're not nearly as bad as 5e's. D&D perhaps has a more fleshed-out setting, but you don't really need the 5e books specifically to get at that, and some goes for whatever world-building and DM-management advice is in the DMG*.

* As an aside, the 4e DMGs are excellent resources for such things, although of course there's also a wealth of free stuff on the internet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

5e absolutely kicks 13th Age's rear end at having "Dungeons & Dragons" on the cover.

Other that that, 13A more-than-delivers on the empty promises of the Next playtest. The Escalation Die does a neat end-run around bounded accuracy, for instance.

Interestingly, every time you use a "skill" (background) the system encourages you to flesh out your character. It's been common wisdom that rules can't make you roleplay better, but there's the game helping you improv backstory.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

And splicer, while I appreciate the effortpost and understand your arguments, I just don't agree with a lot of it.
A stunning riposte.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Thing is, the points buy/array system in 5e is kind of messed up. Basically, the number of points is right for the average of rolled ability scores, but there's also the restriction that you can't have higher than a 15 (or 16 if you use the array).

Obsessive graph time:

Essentially, if someone rolls and only does "average", at the same level points-buy is meant to simulate, they will still have a pretty significant chance of being just plain better than someone who used points buy because they'll have a stat over 15. And in 5e flat math makes that a big deal, because a +1 on a stat puts you 5 levels ahead, plus affects your multiclass options when it comes to taking front loading classes.

From what I'm understanding, the idea is that points buy was supposed to be a "safer" alternative to dice rolling - rather than what it really ought to be, which is an alternate route to the same game experience. The tradeoff with safety never works because, as others have mentioned, nobody enjoys playing a character with dice-crippled stats and therefore most groups won't force someone to play one.

Also, all the roleplaying arguments seemed to break down when our group's powergamer suggested replacing my rogue, who had a roguey background, with a character who worshipped the God of Life briefly, then sold his sold to Cthulhu, then forgot about both (without losing powers or gifts from either!) and took up singing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
^^ neato

Splicer posted:

A stunning riposte.

If you could prefer I could go through it line by line and nitpick away but I don't think that's very useful to do.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mastershakeman posted:

^^ neato

If you could prefer I could go through it line by line and nitpick away but I don't think that's very useful to do.
There is a middle ground between line by line dissections and saying yeah but no. I am curious as to your disagreement over a few key points, specifically the "drives away players", "ignores the root causes", and "makes some root causes worse" ones.

e: removed some needlessly confrontational wording.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 21, 2015

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

bewilderment posted:

in an interestingly different way, to 13th Age?

Mechanically, the answer to this is:
In 13th age, backgrounds are super general, in 5th e they are specifically defined (unless you create your own?)
In 13th age feats are specific, in 5th e they are broad.
Edit: Oh, right. I had a lot of hope for the Weapon Master mechanic, but it ended up being done in an extremely dull way. It's fairly unique?

As for "In what ways is 5th e better than 13th age?"
13th age is basically incapable of emulating 'low' fantasy, it's designed for "high energy" fantasy and pretty much only does that genre.

Which is not to say that I would suggest 5th e for a high-rule system, low-fantasy campaign. I would unequivocally suggest Torchbearer for that.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 21, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

In 13th age, backgrounds are super general, in 5th e they are specifically defined (unless you create your own?)

To be fair, there is a variant rule for that:

quote:

BACKGROUND PROFICIENCY

With this variant rule, characters don't have skill or tool proficiencies. Anything that would grant the character a skill or tool proficiency provides no benefit. Instead, a character can add his or her proficiency bonus to any ability check to which the character's prior training and experience (reflected in the character's background) reasonably applies. The DM is the ultimate judge of whether the character's background applies.

For example, the player of a character with the noble background could reasonably argue that the proficiency bonus should apply to a Charisma check the character makes to secure an audience with the king. The player should be encouraged to explain in specific terms how the character's background applies. Not simply "I'm a noble," but "I spent three years before starting my adventuring career serving as my family's ambassador to the court, and this sort of thing is second nature to me now."

PERSONALITY TRAIT PROFICIENCY

With this variant rule, characters don't have skill proficiencies. Instead, a character can add his or her proficiency bonus to any ability check directly related to the character's positive personality traits. For example, a character with a positive personality trait of "I never have a plan, but I'm great at making things up as I go along" might apply the bonus when engaging in some off-the-cuff deception to get out of a tight spot.

A player should come up with at least four positive personality traits when creating a character.

When a character's negative personality trait directly impacts an ability check, the character has disadvantage on the check. For example, a hermit whose negative trait is "I often get lost in my own thoughts and contemplation, oblivious to my surroundings" might have disadvantage on an ability check made to notice creatures sneaking up.

If a character has the Expertise feature, the player can apply its benefit to personality traits related to ability checks, instead of to skills or tools. If a character would gain a new skill or tool proficiency, the character instead gains a new positive personality trait.

At your discretion, you can also tie a character's ideals, bonds, and flaws to this system.

I'm guessing they weren't quite ready to go full storygame on the Background system yet given the expectations of their target market.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Splicer posted:

Wall of :spergin: incoming:

The problem you're trying to solve is "Ability scores as implemented in D&D require you to subtract from your core competencies to play a well-rounded character". Your proposed solution is "Give some people more ability scores than other people". This solution has two consequences:

1) some people roll flat better characters that everyone else
2) some people roll frankly unplayable characters

Neither of these are seen as problems by you, since according to your arguments (1) is intended and the benefits of (1) outweigh the negatives of (2). Your reasoning is flawed in three ways.

Firstly, both (1) and (2), but especially (2), are things that actively drive people away from the hobby. No matter how cool playing your all 18s character is, it is not worth losing players over. I know people who dropped out of the hobby for years due to not having fun playing a shitfarmer among demigods for their first couple of play sessions, and know of others who never came back for the same reason. I personally nearly stopped playing TTRPGs early because my first couple of characters failed everything they tried to do and died in their first sessions. The reason you believe it's worth it is because of basic sample bias. If something is only mildly annoying then you'll hear a lot of opinions about it. If something is sufficiently lovely that it actually makes people leave the community then you'll end up self-selecting for people who don't have a problem with it, or actively think it's a good thing. The reason this hobby is so small and insular is because we're really, really good at driving away the casuals.

This self-selecting thing exists everywhere btw. It's called the echo chamber effect.
I don't agree on this first premise. Foremost is that I've never seen it happen for this reason, because I only play with friends and friends of friends, where the system likely matters less because of our other relationships. But people have been frustrated and quit, or frustrated with characters and killed/retired them. But I don't see this being an issue with ability scores as much as it's an issue with class imbalances. Missing out on a plus one or whatever is nowhere near as significant as playing a class that just flat out doesn't work with the rest of the party, or the game in general. So whole ability scores do influence displeasure with characters, class is much, much of an issue in anything that isn't 4e, which next is not.

quote:

Secondly, you're trying to solve a problem by addressing the symptoms rather than the root causes. Not only that, but one of the root causes ("Bigger numbers mean more player agency, Ability Scores have the biggest impact on your numbers") is actually exacerbated by your solution ("Some people have more/less Ability Scores, and therefore bigger/smaller numbers, and therefore more/less player agency than everyone else"). Nobody is arguing here that D&D's inability to have both well-rounded and also effective characters is a good thing, just that this particular solution is crap. There are other solutions with more focus on the root causes, such as deemphasising or entirely unlinking ability scores from class effectiveness, or replacing ability scores with another system entirely.

Honestly I think a lot of the problem can be solved by going back to 2e style solutions. 3/5e wanted "elegance" in universal modifiers to a d20, and it screws the math up something fierce. I think my wagon example was good for this: the lift heavy things modifier in 3/5 is the same as the to hit modifier, whereas in 2e your ability score just straight up told you what could be done.

quote:

Finally, you're treating arguments against random rolling as arguments against your reasons for random rolling. An argument against a solution is not an argument for the problem. Again, nobody is saying that being able to play a well-rounded and also effective character is a bad thing, quite the opposite. The argument is that random rolling (in the context of 3.X+ D&D) is a lovely solution that causes way more problems than it resolves. Even if all (or at least most of) the root causes are ignored, there are potentially better solutions that allow for disparate ability scores while keeping equivalent narrative agency that don't have the abysmal downsides of random rolling. At the least they'll have different abysmal downsides.
My context is 2/2.5e. I don't like feats, I think the change away from dynamic movement during rounds is horrible and results in a much worse combat system that encourages people to not pay attention, and I think rolling skills on a d20 with fudged difficulty checks is a mess. That's not to say 2e is perfect, but since this thread is entirely a "gosh 5e could be better if only this happened," I don't see why using some of the decades old concepts aren't better.
Hell, random rolling against the DC of lifting a cart is incredibly inferior to pulling out the chart and seeing how much someone can lift, so I guess you're right that rolling is pretty bad on occasion.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
You're right that DTAS wouldn't solve the problem of, say, the disparity between a Champion Fighter and about 75% of the other class/archetypes in the game, but that just means you have to solve both of them.

Now, when you refer to going back to the days of 2e and that STR chart, do you mean that there's no "chance" to lift a wagon, that it's simply you can or you can't based on the weight of the wagon? Because that just shifts the DM fiat from "what DC do I assign this check?" to "how heavy should the wagon actually be?", which both ways simplifies down to "does it matter whether the character can do this or not? Do I just let them?"

And when you're asking yourself that question, one of your touchstones is supposed to be "How strong is the character?"

The argument against attribute scores is that "How strong is this character?" ALWAYS comes out as "as strong as possible" if they're a Fighter, because that's the way the game obliges them to stat themselves out.

EDIT: Disconnecting a character's to-hit and damage bonuses from their attribute scores and simply giving them whatever numerical bonus they should have might not solve balance issues between a Fighter and a Wizard, but it allows a Fighter to set their INT or WIS or CHA to whatever value they want while still retaining a baseline level of combat competency in a game where combat is something you will always eventually partake in.

Whether you're going to adjudicate the lifting of a cart with a d20 roll or a STR chart, and indeed whether you're going to allow an 8 STR character to even try to lift the cart in the first place, DTAS is a good idea because it creates a "safe space" for 8 STR characters to exist in the first place.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 21, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

DarkHorse posted:

This literally just happened in my 4E game where the party members were sequentially trying to impress a dracolich with tales of their prowess so that it would let them pass. I told everyone that they could use any skill they wanted if they came up with a plausible explanation. The cleric's player, who is all about doing what his character would do, used a religion roll to represent him summoning a divine flame from his god and talking about how he turned the tide of a battle by calling an avatar of his deity. He botched the roll.

I said gently caress that poo poo and had him roll 1d20 + 1/2 level + Wisdom, because whatever the merits of Religion being INT-based (like how the most faithful are not always the most familiar with doctrine or dogma) him failing that Religion roll would have been stupid.

At that point, why roll at all?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

At that point, why roll at all?

It starts with a v.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Am I wrong in thinking that Medium Armor is poo poo? Like, are there a lot of people putting 12s or 14s into their DEX? It seems like you'd want a 16 with light armor or a 8-10 with heavy armor (which multiclassing makes trivially easy to get)

bewilderment posted:

I'm not sure if this is "interesting" or "different" (because I don't really know how 13th Age does it) but the Proficiency bonus is a nice scaling method that encapsulates all the nickel-and-dime things that 4e cobbled together to get your math right. It's also nice not having to update your numbers as often. Did they calibrate the resulting math properly? Doubtful.

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 21, 2015

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
You need at least 13 DEX to multiclass into/out of a few classes (Rogue, Ranger, Monk, Fighter if you don't have strength), so there isn't much reason not to bump it up to 14 for the extra point on everything. Also, though Medium Armor Master isn't a great feat, it lets you reach 18 AC in half plate with no penalty to stealth checks with only 16 DEX, which heavy and light armor can't do.

It's mostly just for characters with bad DEX scores that didn't get heavy armor proficiency, though. Half of the cleric domains fall into this field.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Vanguard Warden posted:

Also, though Medium Armor Master isn't a great feat, it lets you reach 18 AC in half plate with no penalty to stealth checks with only 16 DEX, which heavy and light armor can't do.

The thing is ASI and Feats being an either/or,

Level 1:
    Studded Leather + 16 DEX = 15 AC
    Chain Shirt + 16 DEX = 15 AC

Level 4:
    Studded Leather + 18 DEX = 16 AC
    Scale Mail + 16 DEX + Medium Armor Master = 17 AC

Level 8:
    Studded Leather + 20 DEX = 17 AC
    Half Plate + 16 DEX + Medium Armor Master = 18 AC

So the person with Studded Leather is 1 AC behind once you hit level 4 (in a single class) but gets better at DEX saves, DEX skills, and initiative at each bump.
They also never have to change out their equipment, whereas the Medium Armor user does (assuming they want to never have Stealth Disadvantage.)

This is ignoring the fact that someone who's not DEX-focused will probably never drop a 16 into DEX, medium armor proficiency or not.
Now, if your Medium Armor user is a Human and takes MAM off the bat, that means they're ahead on AC from level 1, but they never improve past that.

Notably, if you get good stat rolls it's the same as being ahead on ASIs/Feats :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009
So don't pick the feat? I don't see the problem here.