Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

I still like how there are people bitching that Chris Pratt is trying to tame those raptors, I mean really that's what every zoo tries to do with its animals, why is this such a sticking point with some people?

Some people have grown up with the raptors from Jurassic Park in their minds as some sort of iconic slasher-type villain. Treating them like any other zoo animal is jarring for these people.

I think it fits pretty well with what the raptors have represented in the previous films, and with what seems like will be the theme's of this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Burkion posted:

No, hush, I'm going all the way with T-Rex I-Rex civil war.

PICK A SIDE, DINOSAUR ISLAND!

I'm on the side of the shark eating whale monster dino. Ending prediction - Trex rams Irex off a cliff into the sea where the sea monster leaps up and chomps her. Rule of 3s: shark -> pterodactyl -> Irex

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I Rex, hanging from the edge of a cliff, reaches for T Rex, "Give me your hand!" she pleads. The T Rex just smirks and waves goodbye with her little baby arms.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I Rex, hanging from the edge of a cliff, reaches for T Rex, "Give me your hand!" she pleads. The T Rex just smirks and waves goodbye with her little baby arms.

The scene from the Lion King except it's the I Rex and the T Rex. The T Rex drops the I Rex into stampeding Gallimimuses

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Macaluso posted:

The scene from the Lion King except it's the I Rex and the T Rex. The T Rex drops the I Rex into stampeding Gallimimuses

Thanks life will never be as good as this sentence.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I still think the cg in the trailer looks mostly bad. But then again, I've felt that the cg in most big blockbusters over the last few years has looked bad. What is it lately? Am I crazy or has cg just gotten more lazy/bad over the last few years?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't stop laughing at this GIF

It looks so bad

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

I still think the cg in the trailer looks mostly bad. But then again, I've felt that the cg in most big blockbusters over the last few years has looked bad. What is it lately? Am I crazy or has cg just gotten more lazy/bad over the last few years?

What did you think of the CGI in Dawn of the Planet of the Apes? If you didn't think that(PotA) looked great then I don't know what to tell you, that's pretty much as good as it gets right now.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Effects studios have to underbid each other to do more work in less time, then end up having to close because they weren't paid enough to make a profit after operating costs. They drive the artists to do ridiculous amounts of work in a ludicrously small amount of time, overworking them to an absurd degree. They also pay them all as freelancers instead of salary employees to save on costs. Many films also farm out different effects shots to different studios if they are that time compressed (and they usually are), so the shots will vary in quality in the films themselves.

ILM and Weta are a little less impacted by this, but the state of the industry is pretty dire.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Toady posted:

It's fine to enjoy art strictly on a visceral level, but there are still reasons behind your enjoyment. Dinosaurs in fiction are primal gladiators whose fantasy flesh is filled in with the biases and fears of their curators.

i was 5 when the movie came out. i enjoyed it because OMG DINOSAURS.

i enjoy it for the same reason today. there is seriously, 100% no other reason behind it.

when the t-rex ate that guy off the john, i enjoyed that because it was the t-rex eating a guy off the john and it looked cool.

seriously, there's nothing else to it.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ehud posted:

I can't stop laughing at this GIF

It looks so bad

The jarring cut from not spinning to spinning while still inside of it doesn't help, either.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cole posted:

when the t-rex ate that guy off the john, i enjoyed that because it was the t-rex eating a guy off the john and it looked cool.

seriously, there's nothing else to it.

As a kid I always wondered whether that guy shat as he died. If he did I was a bit grossed out by the T-Rex getting poo poo in its mouth. Now I realise that whether the guy shat or not it's ending up in the T-Rex anyway. Dinosaurs are gross.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mr. Flunchy posted:

As a kid I always wondered whether that guy shat as he died. If he did I was a bit grossed out by the T-Rex getting poo poo in its mouth. Now I realise that whether the guy shat or not it's ending up in the T-Rex anyway. Dinosaurs are gross.

hmm.. i am sure there is a deeper meaning to what you are saying.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
No, he hit the nail on the head with that observation. Dinosaurs are gross. That's life. And life will find a way.

Digging through dinosaur poo poo? Super gross.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Mecha Gojira posted:

No, he hit the nail on the head with that observation. Dinosaurs are gross. That's life. And life will find a way.

Digging through dinosaur poo poo? Super gross.

but what does it all mean????

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
That trailer gave away pretty much the whole movie :mad:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

rivetz posted:

It's a pure spectacle, a ride and being in the theater is gonna be fun as hell to experience this chaos.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This looks dumb as hell. Looking forward to seeing it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This movie is gonna suck.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

rivetz posted:

Not much more than the other trailers.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Calling it now: the I Rex didn't "kill the other one." There are still two, they just don't know about their chameleon abilities, and only ever saw one at a time. When "they're communicating," they're talking about the I Rexes. Tell me I'm wrong.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I always picture the people who try to defend stupid, bad poo poo as "lol turn off your brain it's entertainment" as watching 'Teletubbies' the rest of the time. "What's not to like? It's moving pictures hurrr"

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
That seems really far-fetched since this isn't a video game and there would still be a corpse when it died, even if it was mostly devoured.

Also camera footage, seeing as they have that pen under 24/hour surveillance.

^^ There is a difference between stupid and bad.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Imagined posted:

I always picture the people who try to defend stupid, bad poo poo as "lol turn off your brain it's entertainment" as watching 'Teletubbies' the rest of the time. "What's not to like? It's moving pictures hurrr"

It could just be people defending a thing they think looks cool. I think Jurassic World looks legit awesome

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
The CGI is annoying me the most about that trailer. Looks like too much of it takes place during the day or in well-lit areas (making the CGI more obvious). I figure that by this point the final touches on that are mostly done?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Imagined posted:

CineD takes this in the totally opposite direction by writing 10,000 word treatises on how Chris Pratt riding a motorcycle with raptors, who are both themselves works of mechanical reproduction in the Lacanian real, is a masterstroke of mise en abyme.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
I'm sad the trailer gave so much of the plot away (the gps thing reeeeeeaaaaally didn't need to be in the trailer) but it still looks rad as heck, and I'm totally gonna see it. Dinosaurs own, man.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

"how would it know to do that ??"
"she remember where they put it in..."
"that's not what i asked. i didn't ask that"

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I noticed in the trailer there's an intelligent black guy. RIP in advance.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

That seems really far-fetched since this isn't a video game and there would still be a corpse when it died, even if it was mostly devoured.

Also camera footage, seeing as they have that pen under 24/hour surveillance.

Fair enough. But I think its meshes reasonably well with themes from the earlier movies and books. They had two, then they lose track of them (via chameleon abilities they didn't know about) and eventually only see one at a time. They assume the other has been killed, since maybe they've always been rough with each other. They don't go in the pen physically to find a corpse, since that's insane. They update the camera system to keep track of one animal, which it does. It can't track them when they're camouflaged. It only looks for one, when it sees one it stops looking or reporting, even though it might find the other one too. Like in the original novel. They hosed up before they hosed up. It was already in a tailspin, before any of them get out.

Further - Why the lingering shots of the claw marks on the wall? Presumably Pratt has been introduced to the concept of I Rex at that point. What does that establish? Why would that be shown? I think one escapes - climbs out. That's why they're examining the claw marks from inside the pen, which they think is empty. Then the other one, which is still inside but was camouflaged, attacks (and also escapes). Why else would they go in to the pen, unless they thought it was safe? Why else leave the door open?

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 20, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Calling it now: the I Rex didn't "kill the other one." There are still two, they just don't know about their chameleon abilities, and only ever saw one at a time. When "they're communicating," they're talking about the I Rexes. Tell me I'm wrong.

Borrowing from Lake Placid can only help this movie.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Ok, but then why the lingering shots of the claw marks on the wall? Presumably Pratt has been introduced to the concept of I Rex at that point. What does that establish? Why would that be shown? I think one escapes - climbs out. That's why they're examining the claw marks from inside the pen, which they think is empty. Then the other one, which is still inside but was camouflaged, attacks (and also escapes). Why else would they go in to the pen, unless they thought it was safe? Why else leave the door open?

I think they did that because it's a trailer, and they are trying to mash together approved sound and video clips together in a way that might seem halfway compelling to the average viewer. If your theory is true, then it's a major twist. Even with most trailers being pretty incompetently put together, they would be pretty discouraged to giving that away at all.

The claw marks are there to tell your brain in .5 seconds that this thing is huge and has big grabby hands.

Fair enough. But I think its meshes reasonably well with themes from the earlier movies and books. They had two, then they lose track of them (via chameleon abilities they didn't know about) and eventually only see one at a time. They assume the other has been killed, since maybe they've always been rough with each other. They don't go in the pen physically to find a corpse, since that's insane. They update the camera system to keep track of one animal, which it does. It can't track them when they're camouflaged. It only looks for one, when it sees one it stops looking or reporting, even though it might find the other one too. Like in the original novel. They hosed up before they hosed up. It was already in a tailspin, before any of them get out.

I'm sorry, I hate to kill your buzz, but that enclosure is just not that big. There is no way you could have a large theropod sized dinosaur trying to hide in it and not immediately know, invisible or not. The trailer doesn't even say when the I-Rex killed it's sibling- it could have been months ago. That's not even taking into account, you know, food and (literally)poo poo.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 20, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I find it interesting that the only nod the T-Rex gets at all in the trailer is the goat call back. Besides the eye roll worthy "Bigger than a T-Rex" line.

If you want that, you have options in the realm of reality, lady.

Hopefully that means she will kick rear end and take names...

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

I agree with you. I bet there will be some confusion with the corpse of the second I Rex and everything will seem fairly logical. That would also mean they are still getting inspiration from the second book

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007

Just Offscreen posted:

I think they did that because it's a trailer, and they are trying to mash together approved sound and video clips together in a way that might seem halfway compelling to the average viewer. If your theory is true, then it's a major twist. Even with most trailers being pretty incompetently put together, they would be pretty discouraged to giving that away at all.

The claw marks are there to tell your brain in .5 seconds that this thing is huge and has big grabby hands.

You're probably right. But I dunno, the second I had that thought everything else we've seen falls way more in to place. It's a twist, but not that big - it'll be in the first third of the film. Thinking about it a bit more, there's even a pat explanation for why they'd think one had killed the other - One I Rex bites out the GPS tag out of the other, maybe in a fight. The I Rex shits out the tag, or lets it drop to the ground, where it just sits still. They assume it's still in the animal, that the animal is no longer moving, and is dead. Maybe I'm only convincing myself, but it makes a ton of sense to me.

Going even further in to my dumb theory, them believing that there's only one left is why the first one escapes - they stop putting in enough food for two. Maybe the animals are socialized by this time, and won't turn on each other. The stronger/smarter one gets out of the cage first in desperation for adequate food. They then stop putting food in at all, and that's why the second one goes on a rampage when it gets out.

Prolonged Panorama fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 20, 2015

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

You're probably right. But I dunno, the second I had that thought everything else we've seen falls way more in to place. It's a twist, but not that big - it'll be in the first third of the film. Thinking about it a bit more, there's even a pat explanation for why they'd think one had killed the other - One I Rex bites out the GPS tag out of the other, maybe in a fight. The I Rex shits out the tag, or lets it drop to the ground, where it just sits still. They assume it's still in the animal, that the animal is no longer moving, and is dead. Maybe I'm only convincing myself, but it makes a ton of sense to me.

Having the park scientists examine a giant pile of poo poo would be another Jurassic Park callback so I'm going to assume this is true.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

Burkion posted:

I find it interesting that the only nod the T-Rex gets at all in the trailer is the goat call back. Besides the eye roll worthy "Bigger than a T-Rex" line.

If you want that, you have options in the realm of reality, lady.

Hopefully that means she will kick rear end and take names...

You can actually see the top of its head, though?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

Most non-Jurassic Park dinosaur movies are poo poo

Dinosaurs vs Cowboys, what's not to like?

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

Veks posted:

You can actually see the top of its head, though?

yep.

Screenshots from the trailer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
This movie looks really similar to what the new Terminator is doing. Copy as much old stuff as you can get away with from the original, and just fill the rest with CGI. I have no idea what one is so poorly received and the other is still getting hype.

• Locked thread